From Joe Roderick, St. Louis Sports Radio host RE: Fisher's future

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Can we get back Mad Mike ? I's love him back with Horns, but know it wont happen
train

It's a new administrative regime. The people who hated him are no longer here. The questions are: does Mike wanna come back and does the incumbent administration want him?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
This kind of feels like being in a relationship that you aren't sure is going to work out.

You have a good thing going, but not great. And it's kind of scary to go looking for something better, even though it could be the greatest thing ever. So you just sit back, and take it for what it is and hope it gets better.

Edit: I thought I could get away from RVB and 3k by not going to TST anymore, I guess I was wrong. :(

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't think the QB has to be elite either. Just a good one like Eli. We've been trying to build the O-line around here for years and years and years, so all we can do is keep trying. The amount of injuries inflicted upon that unit over the years is staggering, and even the one year where it was decent (2010), all of the receivers were bleh and we had a rookie QB. The stars just never seem to align for us.

I think Fisher's coaches *can* develop a QB if you look at it in a vacuum. We have good coaches in Cignetti, Wienke and Garcia, but they can only do so much when the O-line is dropping like flies and the QBs start to hear footsteps every time they drop back due to being pummeled half the time. You can teach to encyclopedic levels, but panic ruins everything a QB has learned in those moments. Which is why I'd like a QB who has already mastered fundamentals and a couple more veteran O-linemen as part of my off-season wish list. That, and a stud WR in the draft. While it would be nice to light up the scoreboard like a pinball machine again, I just don't think you can build two elite units and expect to keep them all signed. If you pair an elite defense with an offense that can average 24 points a game, then you've really got something. All things considered, I'd rather get into the postseason with that, than an offense that scores 37 and a defense that gives up 40.

The defense doesn't automatically have to give up 40 for an offense to score 37. We have more than enough talent right now on the defense even if we lose a FA or two and draft offense for awhile. I think it's easier to have an elite offense and a decent defense than the other way around. But you can win either way. Where my disconnect comes is my lack of confidence than Fisher will ever have an offense that can consistently score.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I disagree, IMO, there will be many changes on the offensive side of the coaching staff. Fisher tried to interview others last season too so rather it's some moving on to college so they can take the honorable way out or resigning for health reasons I strongly believe you will see at the very minimum three changes on the offensive side of the ball..OC, WR & OL and would not be shocked if there are more.

Fisher will have to do this you can't keep stating year after year it's because of bad luck, they've played that card with Bradford far too much. Other teams have faced far more injuries than the Rams like the Giants & Patriots for example and they are doing just fine. Enough is enough either shlt of get off the pot and Fisher needs to start realizing he needs an offensive coordinator who is on the same level as his defensive coordinator.

I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let me offer a different perspective on a hypothetical Ram HC search.

Even if there were as many as 9-10 openings this offseason, wouldn't we have the inside track to get the best of the best?

Think about it...

We have a patient hands off owner that pays top dollar and gives his HC autonomy on football matters.
No apparent limit on asst coach hires.
Team already has a top D.
Team already has a top ST unit.
Team already has a top RB.
Team already has a top talent evaluator in Snead.
Team already has a top cap manager in Demoff.
If the new HC plays his cards right, he might be able to retain GW and his entire staff.

So, I'm thinking that this would be a dream assignment for a new HC to come into.

By far the best of any other that is likely to be out there. Light years ahead of the others, in fact.

I do not sweat the "competition" for the services of a new HC candidate.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the new HC plays his cards right, he might be able to retain GW and his entire staff.

So, I'm thinking that this would be a dream assignment for a new HC to come into.

By far the best of any other that is likely to be out there. Light years ahead of the others, in fact.

Well, now all we need is who's the guy? Not having a quarterback is still a major issue though.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have good coaches in Cignetti, Wienke and Garcia,

They might be... but the lack of experience is a concern for me and makes me wonder if they are good.

Cignetti has bounced around as QB coach in the NFL... with stints in college (HC at Rutgers, where I don't think he did very well).
Weinke and Garcia have never coached at the NFL level (I don't think they've ever coached college).

So... I'm not saying they're not good... I'm saying there isn't a body of work at the levels they are at to really know.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I strongly believe you will see at the very minimum three changes on the offensive side of the ball..OC, WR & OL and would not be shocked if there are more.
I would actually like this result. Hopefully, someone will step in and provide the necessary pursuasion to achieve this.
I don't think the QB has to be elite either. Just a good one like Eli.
We could hae gotten our Fisher's McNair at QB in the offseason with Henley. I'm not sure why we'd trade Bradford for Foles rather than just going straight to the QB-w-legs route.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We have good coaches in Cignetti, Wienke and Garcia, but they can only do so much when the O-line is dropping like flies and the QBs start to hear footsteps every time they drop back due to being pummeled half the time.

Not going to argue over whether they're good coaches, because any dude who gets to the NFL is good at what he does. But the question of whether they are good enough to take this team to the next level is another matter and I think it's an assumption if we say that they are given what we have seen thus far.

NFL is about results. Quick results at that. Certainly the OL is an issue but great head coaches make strong staff hires and have a living legend as those guys move on to be head coaches in their own right. Fisher's tree of coaching is very narrow, kinda like that Charlie Brown xmas tree, and it's all defensive as well. I honestly don't know if Cigs is good enough. But is it worth risking at this juncture? This is why I think the axe is gonna fall on the offensive staff at the very least this offseason if not before.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Let me offer a different perspective on a hypothetical Ram HC search.

Even if there were as many as 9-10 openings this offseason, wouldn't we have the inside track to get the best of the best?

Think about it...

We have a patient hands off owner that pays top dollar and gives his HC autonomy on football matters.
No apparent limit on asst coach hires.
Team already has a top D.
Team already has a top ST unit.
Team already has a top RB.
Team already has a top talent evaluator in Snead.
Team already has a top cap manager in Demoff.

Didn't read the rest of the thread, but there's also the St. Louis is LA thing to consider though. If that's not settled in 2016, then a would be hire could have to move his family twice within a couple years which isn't a good selling point.

And another MAJOR drawback is no QB.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Didn't read the rest of the thread, but there's also the St. Louis is LA thing to consider though. If that's not settled in 2016, then a would be hire could have to move his family twice within a couple years which isn't a good selling point.

And another MAJOR drawback is no QB.

Well, Memphis, those are molehill challenges for any up and coming HC candidate worth his salt.

NFL coaches, much less HC's, are accustomed to frequent moves. It goes with the job. So that's no issue at all, if you ask me.

Let me turn your QB need point around. This team already has a top D, ST, and RB. Plus the related DC and asst coaches for those position groups. So you could say the ONLY thing the O needs is a good QB plus a few tweaks in play calling.

So I stand by my OP. This team is a DREAM assignment for an incoming HC.

Period...

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, Memphis, those are molehill challenges for any up and coming HC candidate worth his salt.

NFL coaches, much less HC's, are accustomed to frequent moves. It goes with the job. So that's no issue at all, if you ask me.

Let me turn your QB need point around. This team already has a top D, ST, and RB. Plus the related DC and asst coaches for those position groups. So you could say the ONLY thing the O needs is a good QB plus a few tweaks in play calling.

So I stand by my OP. This team is a DREAM assignment for an incoming HC.

Period...

Not sure I agree. Moving a family in back to back years being a molehill challenge might depend upon the ages of the children involved, IMO. And that ONLY needs a good QB is a HUGE thing given that these guys are few and far inbetween around the league and most teams only go as far as that man behind center no matter what else they have in place.

Another consideration:
The new coach might not want anything to do with Greg Williams. Or vice versa with Williams and the other coaches if their contracts are expiring.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Not sure I agree. Moving a family in back to back years being a molehill challenge might depend upon the ages of the children involved, IMO. And that ONLY needs a good QB is a HUGE thing given that these guys are few and far inbetween around the league and most teams only go as far as that man behind center no matter what else they have in place.

Another consideration:
The new coach might not want anything to do with Greg Williams. Or vice versa with Williams and the other coaches if their contracts are expiring.

So what are you really saying, Memphis?

That we won't be able to get a decent HC if we fire Fisher?

The possible team move to beautiful So California, lack of current starting caliber QB, or the possibility that GW and the new HC couldn't work together are insurmountable problems?

Insurmountable problems for an ambitious up and coming HC candidate for one of the top 32 jobs in the entire world in his field of work that would pay him millions annually providing him and his family lifetime financial security? Seriously? Are you going with that?

Do you realize how silly that sounds? Lol.

I'll repeat. Compared to any other potential new HC opportunity I can think of that a candidate might be fortunate enough to consider, this one is a dream come true.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Just when you think it can't get any worse . What has he done that deserves an extension ?
Change this team from being a glorified bye week for other teams to a team that no one wants to face. But I don't agree with the extension if true.

WvuIN02

Starter
Not really X.

A defense nobody wants to face? Sure. Nobody fears our 31st ranked offense or our bad QB play. A "team" implies all facets.