Favre on Austin Davis: "He can be the next Brady or Warner"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm not sure about anyone else but it's refreshing to see someone take shots downfield, I never really saw that with Bradford.
I think Davies has done very well considering the O line has been more than questionable in Pass Pro and he's taken quite a few licks.

I wouldn't want Bradford back now. Either Davies is our guy or we draft a QB in the first

The TD pass to Quick to the left is a pass that I discussed on another board that I don't think Bradford even throws.

I agree they have to do a better job protecting him but he needs to do his part and not hold it as long sometimes. Last week I guess there wasn't a lot available downfield because he was taking the short stuff a lot, maybe he has been instructed to take fewer chances, who knows.

Thee is always a synergy between the QB and OL when it comes to sacks and both of them need to improve and when they do it'll be even more fun to watch.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Austin Davis-mania is officially upon us.

The undrafted quarterback out of Southern Mississippi is now 2-3 as the St. Louis Rams' starter, with a TD to INT ratio of 9-4. He completed 85.71 percent of his passes against the league's best secondary last week, which was second-best against the Seahawks all time.

Brett Favre, a fellow Golden Eagle, thinks this is the start of something big.

"Not to sound off my rocker, but he -- in my mind -- can be the next Tom Brady or Kurt Warner," Favre told ESPN. "(Brian) Hoyer as well. Austin, like those mentioned, just needed a legit opportunity."

In his six appearances, he has logged just two that resulted in a QB rating of less than 98. His numbers stayed strong against two of the best teams, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys, that he's faced so far this season.

In short, he's everything -- and more -- a coach could want out of a third-string quarterback.

At this point, the Rams would love to have uncovered the next Kurt Warner, or even the next Brian Hoyer. They'd love it if Davis could keep his hot streak going against the Kansas City Chiefs onSunday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ould-be-next-kurt-warner?campaign=Twitter_atl

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
No reason to get defensive. And because "alot of people agree" , that makes it so? We just can agree to disagree. I form my opinion on actually seeing them throw side by side for the past three years in training camp. And there is no contest in the pure accuracy of their throws.

Their styles are obviously different, and as much as a gunslinger Davis has been so far, Bradford is quite the opposite when it comes to taking care of the football. Hence, he doesn't even attempt throws (especially early in games) that Davis doesn't hesitate to attempt. Look at Bradford's history. Focus on the throws he had shown the ability to make late in games, when taking chances is almost a necessity.

Also, I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. That somehow now, Bradford is a bum, and Davis is the "next Brady". Let's try to keep things is perspective here. This team is still 2-5 with Davis at QB. And to me, that is the only stat that really matters.
2-4* and Davis almost rallied the troops to make the greatest comeback in NFL history, and I really don't know if Sam could have done that. We need our starting QB on the field and even though Sam has more arm talent, if you can't stay on the field consistently you become a liability. I think it's only fair to give Davis the rest of the year to develop before we make an assumption good or bad, i'll tell you what though his progress through the little bit of time he has had has been VERY promising!

jjab360

Legend
No reason to get defensive. And because "alot of people agree" , that makes it so? We just can agree to disagree. I form my opinion on actually seeing them throw side by side for the past three years in training camp. And there is no contest in the pure accuracy of their throws.

Their styles are obviously different, and as much as a gunslinger Davis has been so far, Bradford is quite the opposite when it comes to taking care of the football. Hence, he doesn't even attempt throws (especially early in games) that Davis doesn't hesitate to attempt. Look at Bradford's history. Focus on the throws he had shown the ability to make late in games, when taking chances is almost a necessity.

Also, I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. That somehow now, Bradford is a bum, and Davis is the "next Brady". Let's try to keep things is perspective here. This team is still 2-5 with Davis at QB. And to me, that is the only stat that really matters.
I posted this on another site:
What I don't get is why people have to either try to tear down Bradford to make Davis look good or tear down Davis to make Bradford look good.

The truth is we might not ever know who's better because Bradford has never had a full season to work with this group of receivers and O-line and Davis never had to work with the garbage Bradford had to deal with.

There's a lot of things that Bradford does well that Davis needs to work on (arm strength, protection calls, limiting turnovers) and there's a lot of things that Davis does well that Bradford needs to work on (aggressiveness, touch, reading coverages). It's a little disappointing to get similar production from a no.1 overall pick that you do out of an UDFA, but personally I think that says more about how well Davis has played than it does about Bradford.

What I do know is that Davis is looking really good right now and Bradford seemingly can't stay healthy. Ideally, I'd like to bring Bradford back on a reduced contract and have the two compete for the starting spot, but who knows what's going through Sam or Snisher's minds about how they want to move forward from this point.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

2-4* and Davis almost rallied the troops to make the greatest comeback in NFL history, and I really don't know if Sam could have done that. We need our starting QB on the field and even though Sam has more arm talent, if you can't stay on the field consistently you become a liability. I think it's only fair to give Davis the rest of the year to develop before we make an assumption good or bad, i'll tell you what though his progress through the little bit of time he has had has been VERY promising!

jjab360

Legend
We have enough other issues - we cannot afford to draft top picks into positions of strength. If the Fisher and Snead pick a DL or a WR with the first rounder I will pull out what little hair I have left.
Except a strength will quickly become a weakness if you don't keep investing in it. Can you imagine how much more terrible our D-line would look right now if we hadn't drafted Aaron Donald this year? That's why I'm all for BPA with only a slight consideration for need.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

jap

Legend
accuracy isn't always as simple as looking at completion %. And there is no way anyone who has seen the two of them side by side making that same throws would ever say Davis is more accurate than Bradford. Davis still has issues with consistency, and having balls sail on him to open receivers.

Can that improve? certainly. But I just don't see accuracy being a as simple of quoting completion % stats.

Many are quick to forget or overlook the dearth of receiving talent Sam worked with in his early years. If you have only one or two legitimate receivers, it is relatively easy for a good defense to control them. If players are dropping well thrown balls left & right, the misses or not on the QB. Accuracy should be measured by the number roof catchable balls a QB throws, especially those that are oriented so only his receiver can get them.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Many are quick to forget or overlook the dearth of receiving talent Sam worked with in his early years. If you have only one or two legitimate receivers, it is relatively easy for a good defense to control them. If players are dropping well thrown balls left & right, the misses or not on the QB. Accuracy should be measured by the number roof catchable balls a QB throws, especially those that are oriented so only his receiver can get them.
I agree with this and continue to wonder if Bradford would be duplicating or exceeding what Davis is doing. But, that also leads me to wonder if Davis maybe throws a more catchable ball than Bradford? His completion % is off the charts most of the time so I kind of think that since he doesn't have the cannon-like arm, that his anticipation and touch are more beneficial(like Warner) than laser shots thrown at the last second. Sure, Bradford generally puts it right where he wants but for whatever reason, he's plagued by a lot of drops.

Maybe that's on the receivers but maybe it's partly on him? Of course, Davis had a few balls dropped last week so it's probably just the receiving corps primarily.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Key words are "can be", I look forward to seeing Austin Davis's ascension to starting QB. Even if he doesn't make it, he convinces me that he should provide stability at the backup position.

jap

Legend
I agree with this and continue to wonder if Bradford would be duplicating or exceeding what Davis is doing. But, that also leads me to wonder if Davis maybe throws a more catchable ball than Bradford? His completion % is off the charts most of the time so I kind of think that since he doesn't have the cannon-like arm, that his anticipation and touch are more beneficial(like Warner) than laser shots thrown at the last second. Sure, Bradford generally puts it right where he wants but for whatever reason, he's plagued by a lot of drops.

Maybe that's on the receivers but maybe it's partly on him? Of course, Davis had a few balls dropped last week so it's probably just the receiving corps primarily.

If you don't have a cannon for an arm, you almost have to have touch to compensate.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I am not nor have I ever tried to claim he's not going to be the QB for the rest of the year. And i have admitted that he has played better than I expected. But I just am not seeing the same thing than many others are seeing.

I also said in a different thread, that I thought the Seattle game was his best game to date. And if he continues to build off that performance, and plays under control, then he quite possible could develop into more than just a backup thrust into the starters role.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not sure about anyone else but it's refreshing to see someone take shots downfield, I never really saw that with Bradford.
I think Davies has done very well considering the O line has been more than questionable in Pass Pro and he's taken quite a few licks.

I wouldn't want Bradford back now. Either Davies is our guy or we draft a QB in the first
who is Davies? LOL and don't you find it the least bit coincidental that the game that Davis decides to not bail on the pocket at the first sign of perceived pressure, that the oline suddenly doesn't give up a sack?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I continue to wonder why so many are so unconvinced about Davis. I know it happens when a QB wasn't expected to do well like Nick Foles. But I don't think Davis is getting by on luck, scheme and personnel like Foles did in 2013. And I don't think he's being insulated or protected in the offense with just short passing or a lot of running.

The guy seems like the real deal and has played some very good ball. And again, he's making the Schotty offense work. I'd almost argue he should be an MVP candidate for that!

I'm unconvinced because he hasn't yet proven to me that some of the issues I see are going to be overcome.

Showed improvement vs. Seattle but I want to be patient with him. Need to see all the right things over an extended period first. Great start for him, though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

What are the drop numbers/percentages? Does anyone have access to some advanced stats like that? I'd be curious to see a comparison.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
who is Davies? LOL and don't you find it the least bit coincidental that the game that Davis decides to not bail on the pocket at the first sign of perceived pressure, that the oline suddenly doesn't give up a sack?

Coincidental? Absolutely. But I don't see causation. He's taken multiple sacks while in the pocket due to Jake Long screwing up or blitzers coming free.

I think, if anything, the fact that he was checking it down and getting the ball out quickly was more important for the avoiding of sacks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are the drop numbers/percentages? Does anyone have access to some advanced stats like that? I'd be curious to see a comparison.

2.9%

One of the best in the NFL. Our guys only drop passes in clutch moments haha.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coincidental? Absolutely. But I don't see causation. He's taken multiple sacks while in the pocket due to Jake Long screwing up or blitzers coming free.

I think, if anything, the fact that he was checking it down and getting the ball out quickly was more important for the avoiding of sacks.
I agree with the check downs and getting the ball out are huge. But for every sack that Jake Long has given up (2) or a TE/RB failing to pick up a blitz, Davis has failed to recognize where the blitz is coming from, or has tried to bail out and ended up stepping right into the sack he was hoping to avoid. He stated after the SF game himself, he needed to stay in the pocket more, and also not force the ball down field as often, at the expense of taking the underneath completion when its there.

I get its a work in progress. And I would love to see the same sort of improvement in coming weeks, that I saw vs. Seattle. As I stated, I thought it was his best game to date. Just because he didn't put up gaudy FF numbers, many disagree with me. But he took what the best secondary in the league gave him, pushed the ball down field when he could (passes to Quick vs, the zone & the pass to Givens vs. man coverage). He led them on 3 long scoring drives, which is more impressive to me than hitting on a deep ball that he forces into coverage.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with the check downs and getting the ball out are huge. But for every sack that Jake Long has given up (2) or a TE/RB failing to pick up a blitz, Davis has failed to recognize where the blitz is coming from, or has tried to bail out and ended up stepping right into the sack he was hoping to avoid. He stated after the SF game himself, he needed to stay in the pocket more, and also not force the ball down field as often, at the expense of taking the underneath completion when its there.

I get its a work in progress. And I would love to see the same sort of improvement in coming weeks, that I saw vs. Seattle. As I stated, I thought it was his best game to date. Just because he didn't put up gaudy FF numbers, many disagree with me. But he took what the best secondary in the league gave him, pushed the ball down field when he could (passes to Quick vs, the zone & the pass to Givens vs. man coverage). He led them on 3 long scoring drives, which is more impressive to me than hitting on a deep ball that he forces into coverage.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that the reason why there were no sacks this week was twofold:
1. Davis got rid of it quickly
and
2. The pass protectors played a much stronger game

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Y'know... screw all the hype and analysis. I like what I see and why CAN'T we just get lucky and have another unknown and unheralded QB become a very good starter for us? Would much rather be able to use our draft capital on another position.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm unconvinced because he hasn't yet proven to me that some of the issues I see are going to be overcome.

Showed improvement vs. Seattle but I want to be patient with him. Need to see all the right things over an extended period first. Great start for him, though.
I think he's continually showed improvement and is quick to fix earlier mistakes. Certainly not a case of a guy who just keeps doing "X" and we're all hoping if he would just "get it", we'd all be satisfied.

Davis is already playing at a starter's level and continues to improve in a very short time frame. I don't see anything glaring in terms of what he needs to work on. That we're basically nitpicking is a testament to just how well he's doing.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Austin Davis was asked about the Favre comments, and Davis said he doesn't think about it and wants to be "the first Austin Davis." Nice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he's continually showed improvement and is quick to fix earlier mistakes. Certainly not a case of a guy who just keeps doing "X" and we're all hoping if he would just "get it", we'd all be satisfied.

Davis is already playing at a starter's level and continues to improve in a very short time frame. I don't see anything glaring in terms of what he needs to work on. That we're basically nitpicking is a testament to just how well he's doing.

There are definitely areas of his game that need improvement. Needs to learn how to better manipulate the pocket. He's too quick to flush out of the pocket when he feels pressure. Needs to learn to move within the pocket to find throwing lanes and only flush when forced to. I think his footwork needs improvement. I'd also like to see better blitz recognition and him getting the ball out quicker to his hot routes. He did a much better job of checking down against Seattle. It has been an issue prior to that. Hopefully, he keeps it up vs. KC.

The final issue I have is that I want to see him be smarter with his scrambling. He's a better athlete than Sam. There have been times this year where he opted to force a pass rather than take off when he had a seam.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
. This team is still 2-5 with Davis at QB. And to me, that is the only stat that really matters.
Well if that stat is the only one that matters, you may as well get it correct.
The Rams are 2-3 with Davis as the starter