Favre on Austin Davis: "He can be the next Brady or Warner"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hyperbole like this helps no one, most of all the Rams.

Remember when everyone fell in love with Chad Pennington?

Matt Flynn?

Hell, Matt Cassell?

The franchise saving QB is not on this roster yet, whether it be Davis, Bradford, or otherwise.

Chad Pennington was a great QB before he destroyed his shoulder and severely injured his non-throwing hand/wrist. The fact that he came back from that and still managed to play solid football with no arm strength at all speaks to how great he could have been.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder just how well a first time starter 6 games into his career should be reading blitzes and manipulating the pocket?

I haven't really seen too many young QB's really excelling right out of the gate with all the little nuances that are being pointed out here. These things just take experience and acclimation. But Davis has already made improvements from his first start to now so optimism abounds IMO.

I'd expect any starting QB to do it well. I'd expect any first year starter to improve at it and show he can do it effectively before I backed him as a long term option at QB.

AZRamsFan93

I will say this, I'm good with not going QB in the first three rounds. I think we're good.
Not me. It is always a balance of talent and cost. Even if Austin Davis continues to be the guy, then we still need to pick a QB high in the draft. The position is too important to rely just on Austin Davis, Sam Bradford is too expensive for the demonstrated health risk, and Shaun Hill is not in the future plans. If we pick a guy high and Davis becomes the next Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, then we will be able to trade that young QB to a QB needy team when the time is best.

It is not possible to have too much talent in your QB position.

Athos

Legend
who is Davies? LOL and don't you find it the least bit coincidental that the game that Davis decides to not bail on the pocket at the first sign of perceived pressure, that the oline suddenly doesn't give up a sack?

Well, that's probably half right. The other half is that GRob is finally in there pancaking people.

The final issue I have is that I want to see him be smarter with his scrambling. He's a better athlete than Sam. There have been times this year where he opted to force a pass rather than take off when he had a seam.

Definitely. Looking to make the pass too much. He ran it in college plenty. If he starts using his legs more on those broken plays, we get positive yardage instead of incompletions, sacks, etc.

Well, to be fair, Bradford has led the Rams to two wins vs. Seattle since 2010 and I'd argue that those Rams teams weren't as good as the current squad.

Toss up. Our defense most assuredly was, if not less talented, more fundamentally sou

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...an-be-next-tom-brady-or-kurt-warner/#comments

Brett Favre: Austin Davis can be “next Tom Brady or Kurt Warner”
Posted by Josh Alper on October 22, 2014

zz00zjmyymu0nzkwmgywzgu3ywnkmwjmyzfhmdzln2eyyg.jpeg
AP

The most accomplished Southern Mississippi quarterback in NFL history is a fan of the only current Golden Eagle quarterback in the NFL.

Brett Favre likes what he’s seen from Rams quarterback Austin Davis, the only other alum of the school to start more than one game in the NFL, and thinks that he can follow in the footsteps of a couple of Super Bowl winners who didn’t enter the league with a lot of fanfare.

“Austin can definitely play at this level,” Favre said, via Ed Werder of ESPN. “Not to sound off my rocker, but [Davis] — in my mind — can be the next Tom Brady or Kurt Warner. [Brian] Hoyer as well. Austin, like those mentioned, just needed a legit opportunity.”

As you’d imagine given Favre’s admission that he might sound off his rocker, the comparison to Brady and Warner is a stretch but being impressed by Davis’s work is perfectly reasonable. He’s completing 66 percent of his passes with nine touchdowns and four interceptions in his six appearances this season and led the Rams on an 80-yard scoring drive after the Seahawks drew within two points last Sunday.

If he keeps up the same kind of work during a three-game road swing through Kansas City, San Francisco and Arizona, those comparisons will still be premature but the Rams will be thrilled all the same.
---------
BTB

Better than Bridgewater.
--------
Was there anything better than watching Austin Davis a former third string QB, completely dominate the pathetic, overrated Seattle PEDhawks defense?

The Shehawks are a 6-10 without cheating.

No more PEDs.

No more illegal holding.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re at the bottom of their divison the next decade, like usual.

The Seattle PEDhawks: Most overrated team and clueless fanbase of all time.
---------
Not gonna lie. Dude looks legit. Just goes to show that every player has talent. Just need an opportunity.
--------
It’s not easy to give up on a 1st overall draft selection, and it certainly makes St Louis look epically stupid by doing so, but they should have turned the page on Sam Bradford a while ago. At least now they have a QB who can put points up on the board and keep them in games.
-------
Hey, Austin!!! Allow Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dontari Poe introduce themselves this Sunday!!
---------
Or maybe the Rams are the ones who will surprise them. Don’t count this kid out. This could be a trap game for KC.
--------
Let’s not get too carried away.
---------
I don’t know why it’s such a stretch. No one knew Tom Brady and Kurt Warner were going to be TOM BRADY and KURT WARNER at the beginning of their careers either.
--------
He’s right. Both he and Hoyer are gamers…. they have been in pretty much every game this season they have played in.
--------
Just wanna add, I’d go as far as to say that the Browns beating the Saints and the Rams beating Seattle are two of the biggest upsets this year.

Those two teams played in the divisional round last post-season.
-------
Jeff Fisher was obviously pleasantly surprised by something he saw in Davis. After, he made the third string QB his starter after briefly filling in for the injured No. 2.
--------
for the rams sake, it would be cool if austin was the new TB12….5 SB appearances, 8 championship game appearances.
--------
How would Favre know?!? He claims he doesn’t watch football
--------
Or he could be the next Matt Flynn
---------
He’s already better than Brady.
--------
Brian Hoyer? yes

Kurt Warner? maybe

Tom Brady? no way in hell
---------
Someone should introduce Rick Spielman to Austin Davis since Mr. Spielmand appears incapable of indentifying a NFL Qb on his own.
---------
Okay okay, he played well at home against a D that is clearly not as good as last year.
Now let’s see how he does on the road against a D that may be better than last year.
---------
Brett has good instincts at seeing potential in QB’s that aren’t getting all of the publicity. Remember, he was one of very few that was raving about Russell Wilson prior to the NFL draft that year. Everyone else was talking about Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, etc…
---------
Waaaay too early to start tossing around labels like that. Lets wait until he’s a completed a full season or 2 before we start proclaiming him the next Warner or Brady.
---------
Get a Ring or two before we can even entertain that type of comment. At least he isn’t the next Farve taking selffies of his junk.
-------
Doubtful, but maybe… I wouldn’t discount anything Favre says about quarterback talent. The guy has, literally, forgotten more about football than all of us will ever know.
---------
He’s got a live arm, no doubt. If this kid is legit, it could be the best thing to happen to the Rams in a long time. If they can cut bait on Bradford knowing they have a capable guy already in house… that’s huge.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well, to be fair, Bradford has led the Rams to two wins vs. Seattle since 2010 and I'd argue that those Rams teams weren't as good as the current squad. My point is, he's capable of doing it.

I really don't wanna let Sam go. I just wish he could scramble like Davis.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well, to be fair, Bradford has led the Rams to two wins vs. Seattle since 2010 and I'd argue that those Rams teams weren't as good as the current squad. My point is, he's capable of doing it.

I really don't wanna let Sam go. I just wish he could scramble like
Not me. It is always a balance of talent and cost. Even if Austin Davis continues to be the guy, then we still need to pick a QB high in the draft. The position is too important to rely just on Austin Davis, Sam Bradford is too expensive for the demonstrated health risk, and Shaun Hill is not in the future plans. If we pick a guy high and Davis becomes the next Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, then we will be able to trade that young QB to a QB needy team when the time is best.

It is not possible to have too much talent in your QB position.

I'd rather get a top notch C or LG in the first round than a QB that may never see the field. Davis would only get better with a better OL, right? Plus we'd run better.

Athos

Legend
The Seattle PEDhawks

Love this. The growing list of moniker slams for the Seahawks is awesome.

I'd rather get a top notch C or LG in the first round than a QB that may never see the field

If Long doesn't improve...GRob at LT next year with newly minted G/C from the draft. FA lineman don't seem to work out too well for the Rams lately. Build Davis the kind of line Romo is enjoying and hot fucking damn....

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Love this. The growing list of moniker slams for the Seahawks is awesome.

If Long doesn't improve...GRob at LT next year with newly minted G/C from the draft. FA lineman don't seem to work out too well for the Rams lately. Build Davis the kind of line Romo is enjoying and hot freaking damn....

Exactly. I'm good with our WR's and TE's, too. They're playing plenty well enough to win. Very few drops.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I really don't wanna let Sam go. I just wish he could scramble like Davis.

We need to do some Weird Science stuff where we hook them both to a computer and then program it to give each one the other's best attributes while keeping the good ones that they already have. ;)

RamWoodie

Legend
AD has been the prime example of the type of player that you'll never know what you've got until you play him. Just let the guy keep playing, don't put him in a box.

I for one, would like to see more designed rollouts for him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We need to do some Weird Science stuff where we hook them both to a computer and then program it to give each one the other's best attributes while keeping the good ones that they already have. ;)

Give Davis Sam's arm strength, height, and accuracy. HOF, man. :D

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I really don't wanna let Sam go. I just wish he could scramble like

I'd rather get a top notch C or LG in the first round than a QB that may never see the field. Davis would only get better with a better OL, right? Plus we'd run better.

I'd love a great center to anchor this line - but you don't (or shouldn't) have to take acenter in the first round. Even if you think he's got first round talent and he's the guy you want to draft you should really trade back and pick him up later. That's what Dallas should have done when they drafted Travis Frederick in the 1st. Yeah he's real good but they could have got him in the 3rd because teams don't usually put much of a premium on them!

jjab360

Legend
I'd love a great center to anchor this line - but you don't (or shouldn't) have to take acenter in the first round. Even if you think he's got first round talent and he's the guy you want to draft you should really trade back and pick him up later. That's what Dallas should have done when they drafted Travis Frederick in the 1st. Yeah he's real good but they could have got him in the 3rd because teams don't usually put much of a premium on them!
If you feel like he's the BPA, then take him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well if that stat is the only one that matters, you may as well get it correct.
The Rams are 2-3 with Davis as the starter

Yeah, I hear that. I do think the record is important, especially if Davis is going to be QB1
I cant put the Tampa game on him, so to me he's 2-3
But, in the 3 losses he had a pick 6 in 2 games and a fumble sack in the other. In addition, he had the ball in his hands late with a chance to tie or take the lead and didnt convert any of them (obviously)
So for now he's in glorified rookie stage where you take what you cant get and appreciate what you have. But if he is going to be the starter he needs to not give away those points and he will need to convert those opportunities

Um - for the record - we won the Tampa game. You must mean the Minn game. You may as well get it correct. :D

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Frederick would have went in the next 10-15 picks after Dallas. It's not worth the risk of missing out on a player you think a lot of to try and play the guessing game with trades. Unless I feel like the guy isn't going to go in that round, I stay where I am and pick my guy.