Favre on Austin Davis: "He can be the next Brady or Warner"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name 10 QB's that are performing better or have better production in the time he has stepped in.

Above him in passer rating:
Peyton Manning
Rodgers
Rivers
Romo
Wilson
Palmer (thrown half the passes so I'll discard him)
Luck
Flacco
Eli Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Cutler

Davis has the second highest passer rating of any QB 25 or under.

Give him the TD pass to Cook against Dallas and he leaps above Flacco.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Odd, all I've ever heard about Sam's attributes were how his arm strength and accuracy were elite talent level. You mean NFL preseason records? Not sure I even know what those are. What I do know is that when watching him in very limited action this preseason missed nearly nothing and his arm was lively, placing passes between defenders that, again IMO, Davis probable will never be to replicate. The TD pass to Kendricks in PS week 2 comes to mind. Hopefully A. Davis raises the Lombardi trophy with the rest of our Rams this year, but to tout him as more accurate or more talented than SB is just wrong, IMO. I would welcome, as I am sure Sam would, an open QB competition in training camp next year. If healthy, Sam wins that 10 out of 10 times.

He was 4-11 against the Browns this preseason and looked bad doing it.......we disagree and while his arm strength was real his accuracy to date has not been what we have seen from Davis.

I've seen Davis do enough that if he can't throw a fastball as well as Bradford it doesn't matter to me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He was 4-11 against the Browns this preseason and looked bad doing it.......we disagree and while his arm strength was real his accuracy to date has not been what we have seen from Davis.
accuracy isn't always as simple as looking at completion %. And there is no way anyone who has seen the two of them side by side making that same throws would ever say Davis is more accurate than Bradford. Davis still has issues with consistency, and having balls sail on him to open receivers.

Can that improve? certainly. But I just don't see accuracy being a as simple of quoting completion % stats.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Above him in passer rating:
Peyton Manning
Rodgers
Rivers
Romo
Wilson
Palmer (thrown half the passes so I'll discard him)
Luck
Flacco
Eli Manning
Brady
Roethlisberger
Cutler

Davis has the second highest passer rating of any QB 25 or under.

Give him the TD pass to Cook against Dallas and he leaps above Flacco.

His rating is hurt from the dumb throws his first few weeks that turned into INT's. Those are ratings killers.

He is in the top 10 in accuracy and YPA I bet. I'm not looking at any stat lines I'm just going off of what he is putting up every week and it's better than anything we have seen out of a Rams QB in many years.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm not a coach, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last nite, but I'm having a hard time seeing Davis' bad throwing motion.
Not the quickest, nor the strongest, but it looks OK to me, which is backed up by his completion percentage, and TD/INT ratio.
And he gets, my opinion, a small pass for the INTs, given the situations where they were thrown.
Has he actually had any batted passes?

As far as, mechanics, blitz pick-ups, hot reads etc, he's played 5 games. Very encouraged.
Oh, BTW, he's faced Dallas, Philly, Frisco and Seattle. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

His release can be a little slow because his stroke is long...That's probably the way he's thrown since youth football...Too late to make any major change at this point..(Nor would they really want to)...He's done a really nice job to this point, but I'm no where close to anointing him the next (insert HOF name here)...I just hope he continues to play well and grow...He might well turn out to be the guy for a while...Anything beyond that would be the cherry on top...

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig

I've seen Davis do enough that if he can't throw a fastball as well as Bradford it doesn't matter to me.
I've liked what I've seen from Davis this year as well and I hope/believe he has a future with this team. In fact, after that ill fated night in CLE, I posted how impressed I was with Davis' play after Sam went down. We can just disagree on who is the best option for our starting QB after this season. :cheers:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
And I think he will. It is all about reps with the WRs, and he is getting more and more of them as we type these posts. No reason to think he will not continue to improve. Seems like a pretty smart kid to me....
Agreed.
It took Sam a couple years to get his deep ball down. He would consistently over throw guys his first year or two. Not uncommon.

AZRamsFan93

If it was a choice between first round WR for Davis to throw to or first round QB, I'm going with the first round WR at this point.
I do not know why anyone would think we need to spend another high draft pick on a WR?

WR has not been an issue for this team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
accuracy isn't always as simple as looking at completion %. And there is no way anyone who has seen the two of them side by side making that same throws would ever say Davis is more accurate than Bradford. Davis still has issues with consistency, and having balls said on him to open receivers.

Can that improve? certainly. But I just don't see accuracy being a as simple of quoting completion % stats.

Well if you have another metric other than completion % I'll listen. Until then the eyes and the stats say that Davis is more accurate. And a lot of people agree with what I am saying.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I continue to wonder why so many are so unconvinced about Davis. I know it happens when a QB wasn't expected to do well like Nick Foles. But I don't think Davis is getting by on luck, scheme and personnel like Foles did in 2013. And I don't think he's being insulated or protected in the offense with just short passing or a lot of running.

The guy seems like the real deal and has played some very good ball. And again, he's making the Schotty offense work. I'd almost argue he should be an MVP candidate for that!

I was sold on him when he passed for 3 touchdowns two games in a row while airing the ball out for at least 300 yards those games. A guy might get lucky once but he's delivered enough now that I don't think it's by accident.

It didn't really matter who was behind center much of the game Sunday. But when the Seahawks pulled within 2 it started to matter. Davis delivered a fine drive against a very stout defense.

No. Freakin. Way.

That's awesome praise. People love seeing Brette, he needs to be an analyst.
Not everyone enjoys receiving his texts though. Am I right Jen Sterger?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You know...

Some players just perform better "under the lights". They seem like JAGs until they are given a chance to show their stuff on the field on Sundays. We should know that better than most. If not for Trent Green going down, would Warner ever have risen from the grocery store shelves?

Another way to look at it is...

It's a lot easier to look good in practice. Unlease the dogs on game day and the shit gets a whole lot more interesting.

DAVIS IS A FUCKING GAMER BOIS.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
If it was a choice between first round WR for Davis to throw to or first round QB, I'm going with the first round WR at this point.

I still need to see the rest of the season and how everyone does. But I'm starting to wonder about a first round LB.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was sold on him when he passed for 3 touchdowns two games in a row while airing the ball out for at least 300 yards those games. A guy might get lucky once but he's delivered enough now that I don't think it's by accident.

It didn't really matter who was behind center much of the game Sunday. But when the Seahawks pulled within 2 it started to matter. Davis delivered a fine drive against a very stout defense.

Not everyone enjoys receiving his texts though. Am I right Jen Sterger?

She got her revenge at a practice........hahahahaha

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Well if you have another metric other than completion % I'll listen. Until then the eyes and the stats say that Davis is more accurate. And a lot of people agree with what I am saying.
No reason to get defensive. And because "alot of people agree" , that makes it so? We just can agree to disagree. I form my opinion on actually seeing them throw side by side for the past three years in training camp. And there is no contest in the pure accuracy of their throws.

Their styles are obviously different, and as much as a gunslinger Davis has been so far, Bradford is quite the opposite when it comes to taking care of the football. Hence, he doesn't even attempt throws (especially early in games) that Davis doesn't hesitate to attempt. Look at Bradford's history. Focus on the throws he had shown the ability to make late in games, when taking chances is almost a necessity.

Also, I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. That somehow now, Bradford is a bum, and Davis is the "next Brady". Let's try to keep things is perspective here. This team is still 2-5 with Davis at QB. And to me, that is the only stat that really matters.

I do not know why anyone would think we need to spend another high draft pick on a WR?

WR has not been an issue for this team.

Not been an issue, but imagining Cooper (Alabama), Quick, Bailey and Austin as our WRs for the next few years, GSOT part 2 potential.

I have faith that Ogletree will figure it out, our DL will be fine once we get Long back. In terms of needs you're looking at C (Jones maybe?), FS and 3rd LB (and possibly LG if Robinson shifts to LT at some point) none of which require a first round pick.

His rating is hurt from the dumb throws his first few weeks that turned into INT's. Those are ratings killers.

He is in the top 10 in accuracy and YPA I bet. I'm not looking at any stat lines I'm just going off of what he is putting up every week and it's better than anything we have seen out of a Rams QB in many years.

They count all the same though.

The last time we saw a QB perform as well as Davis has the last 6 games? Sam Bradford 10/17/10-11/28/10: 135-210-1307-11-1-97.1

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
No reason to get defensive. And because "alot of people agree" , that makes it so? We just can agree to disagree. I form my opinion on actually seeing them throw side by side for the past three years in training camp. And there is no contest in the pure accuracy of their throws.

Their styles are obviously different, and as much as a gunslinger Davis has been so far, Bradford is quite the opposite when it comes to taking care of the football. Hence, he doesn't even attempt throws (especially early in games) that Davis doesn't hesitate to attempt. Look at Bradford's history. Focus on the throws he had shown the ability to make late in games, when taking chances is almost a necessity.

Also, I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. That somehow now, Bradford is a bum, and Davis is the "next Brady". Let's try to keep things is perspective here. This team is still 2-5 with Davis at QB. And to me, that is the only stat that really matters.

I'm not sure about anyone else but it's refreshing to see someone take shots downfield, I never really saw that with Bradford.
I think Davies has done very well considering the O line has been more than questionable in Pass Pro and he's taken quite a few licks.

I wouldn't want Bradford back now. Either Davies is our guy or we draft a QB in the first

Athos

Legend
Any coincidence that they won the Tampa and Seattle game?

We were down a million against the Eagles. Of course he threw the ball a ton. We needed points in a hurry and almost got there. I do agree we need to run more, and I've said countless times Davis needs to work on selling his PA more (Bradford was world class at it imo), but I think you can't limit Davis' ability to push for that splash play too much. You do want to reign it in, but you don't and shouldn't, cuff him.

For me it's Qb, LB, FS.

We aren't taking a FS in the first. Only LB I'd take in the first right now (though admittedly I don't know much about the LB prospects next year, is Beasley). And if Davis improves, a 1st round QB is unnecessary.

I think WR/OL/LB. Our Oline needs help. No idea what Britt can do long term though he's done the biggest thing in helping Quick.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'm not saying Bradford is a bum, though I have never been overwhelmed by what he has done.

I hope you like the vid.......it came to mind and I figured I post it for a laugh.

AZRamsFan93

Not been an issue, but imagining Cooper (Alabama), Quick, Bailey and Austin as our WRs for the next few years, GSOT part 2 potential.
We have enough other issues - we cannot afford to draft top picks into positions of strength. If the Fisher and Snead pick a DL or a WR with the first rounder I will pull out what little hair I have left.
I have faith that Ogletree will figure it out, our DL will be fine once we get Long back. In terms of needs you're looking at C (Jones maybe?), FS and 3rd LB (and possibly LG if Robinson shifts to LT at some point) none of which require a first round pick.
I say we need major help at LBer, but I think it should be a top free agent if possible, and a high draft pick if not. We also need to draft a QB high.