Do you trust Fisher/Snead to draft our QB of the future?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fancents86

Starter
All I'm saying is you cannot go into 2016 counting on Mannion. He is an unknown and statistics say 3rd round QBs don't amount to starters for the most part. Brady wasn't counted on as a starter until he had proven himself, he was Bledsoe's backup. The Rams added Green when they had Warner on the roster. The Seahawks made a big QB addition in Flynn and he was supposed to be their starter. Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick, stat behind Favre for years. When Favre left they drafted a second round QB to compete with him. We can't hand Mannion the job without him playing. You have to hedge your bets.
I understand where you're coming from, and I agree we can't "count" on him for 2016. But how can we judge a coaching staff on how we think they can draft our next qb if we haven't even seen what we have in Mannion? If Mannion is an upgrade from Foles and Keenum, I would say it was a success. Or it could be the total opposite. I personally wanna see what we have in Mannion first before we peg him down the qb list. From what little we saw yesterday, he seems worth a look.

FRO

Legend
They should have listened to Tony Softli (who was on staff then). He wanted DeSean but was overruled by Zygmunt.
It was all a clown show back then. We all assumed Jackson was the pick. It was so obvious. Then Donnie Avery was announced and we all, everybody on the PD board went nuts. Even the homers hated the pick. Scott Linehan was the worst drafter in the history of drafts. Brian Leonard in the second round? Really? Picking Adam Carraker a college DE and moving him to NT? They got the Chris Long pick right though.

FRO

Legend
I understand where you're coming from, and I agree we can't "count" on him for 2016. But how can we judge a coaching staff on how we think they can draft our next qb if we haven't even seen what we have in Mannion? If Mannion is an upgrade from Foles and Keenum, I would say it was a success. Or it could be the total opposite. I personally wanna see what we have in Mannion first before we peg him down the qb list. From what little we saw yesterday, he seems worth a look.
I totally agree that we need to start him the rest of the way to see what we have. Foles and Keenum aren't th answer. Maybe Mannion is. However if they do not play him we have to assume he isn't the answer. It's not fair to him, but we can't count on an unknown.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't blame Snead for Foles because from what I've read that was all Fisher. I blame Snead for Quick and Pead. I blame him for picking Robinson at 2. You don't draft a lineman at 2 overall in a great draft that played in an offense without a playbook and was rarely in pass protection. Robinson may develop, but you just don't pick projects that early in a loaded draft class. Their philosophy of picking straw guys early in hopes of coaching them up is a flawed one.

I had no problem with the G Rob pick at the time. In hindsight, taking the Bills trade offer was the move - but at the time, I liked getting the LT done.

Quick is a mystery. The light came on and we all saw it last year. Then it went off again - and it's hard to figure why.

Still, the best of the best will miss sometimes. We have gotten the best player in the draft 2 years in a row - so that's something.

FRO

Legend
I had no problem with the G Rob pick at the time. In hindsight, taking the Bills trade offer was the move - but at the time, I liked getting the LT done.

Quick is a mystery. The light came on and we all saw it last year. Then it went off again - and it's hard to figure why.

Still, the best of the best will miss sometimes. We have gotten the best player in the draft 2 years in a row - so that's something.
When Boudreau started comparing him to Pace I thought well you have to take him then. At the time I was on the Watkins train at 2 and if we were to pick an offensive lineman it would be Matthews. I have no clue if Matthews is any good or not. Watkins isn't the best receiver in the draft either. Hindsight you take that trade and you sit pretty with both Donald and Martin.

As far as Quick, I guess it's either one of four things:
- 2014 was a flash in the pan.
- He is slow to pick up offense and the coordinator change killed him.
- His injury to his shoulder has him playing timid.
- Austin Davis is the only QB that can find him in the field.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley were great picks, no doubt.

I have never understood how you have 4 good 1st round OLmen and you don't trade down. There was no way GRob (or any of the 4 for that matter) were worth passing on additional 1st round players. Especially on a team that had huge holes to fill. I didn't understand it then, and it looks downright ridiculous now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I will say this.

If keeping Sneed meant that I had to keep Fisher - I would get rid of them both.

FRO

Legend
I will say this.

If keeping Sneed meant that I had to keep Fisher - I would get rid of them both.
I wonder if Fisher throws Snead overboard? From what I hear from media types is that Fisher is safe.

FRO

Legend
Stan has gotta be smarter than that.
Stan is a businessman, not a sports owner. Good owners do not give away home games to neutral site games. Bottom line. Fisher is his guy that he hired. He likes him. He has been the coach of a team that has relocated and knows how to handle it. Stan wants to move, Fisher is the coach for such a move. Plus firing him and paying him not to coach makes no sense from a business perspective. If he were an owner that cared about winning more than. The bottom line, then Fish is gone and if I were owner Snead and Demoff would be gone too.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
So that means just give up bc of a statistic and bc of preseason play? Again that's pretty absurd to me. I don't remember Brady, Rodgers, Warner, or Wilson being top draft picks.

I agree you shouldn't write him off, but the rams must have a solid backup plan. I think the rams should roll into next year with 1 of two options: a) Manion and a solid veteran (think Fitz type can start or be solid backup), b) draft a guy, get a solid veteran still and continue to develop Manion (hoping that both he and draft pick show something and then you have trade bait in future)
Either way rams need to get a solid veteran - not Hill sort that hasn't thrown in the NLF for a few years, but the sort you would start the season with to buy the young guys more time if needed.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can't hand Mannion the job without him playing. You have to hedge your bets.
On the money here man,
In fact, had Matt Flynn gotten all the snaps in pre-season that year, and Wilson but mere scraps, things likely would have played out different.
We dont even need Mannion to be Wilson. I'd settle for Mike Glennon or Mike McGloin type mediocrity right now

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley were great picks, no doubt.

I have never understood how you have 4 good 1st round OLmen and you don't trade down. There was no way GRob (or any of the 4 for that matter) were worth passing on additional 1st round players. Especially on a team that had huge holes to fill. I didn't understand it then, and it looks downright ridiculous now.

That's what irked me, too.

However, if I recall, G-Rob and Matthews were at the time regarded as clearly being a cut above the other consensus 1st round lineman in the draft. If the Rams did not feel they could get either one of Robinson or Matthews after trading down, I can understand why they chose to stay put. The offensive line was (and is) a major concern. Making sure they got one of Robinson or Matthews - with the added bonus of ensuring they got "their guy" in the process - could have been too much to pass on. Especially when they still had another 1st rounder in hand.

I still would have preferred trading down. Any of the first round linemen would have been fine with me, as I am generally against taking a lineman overly high these days with how the college game is developing them. But I can at least see how their choice to stay put may have been rationalized.

Even though Robinson has not lived up to expectations I still don't dislike the pick. We need(ed) a lineman. Robinson not only has the best potential of the group that was available, but he is already a starting calibre LT. In his sophomore season. While coming out very raw from a program that did not make him pass protect much. That's not bad at all. At least half of his holding calls have been bogus, IMO. He does get beat a bit too much. But every LT will get beat at times. He's going up against the league's best DEs. Expecting totally stout performance at this time is not realistic. Even Orlando Pace took 3+ years to get to that level. Most of the time there is pressure it isn't coming from Robinson's side. At least from what I've seen. I could be wrong. Just the eye test. Not a stellar pick. But not a bad one. Mediocre. I concede you need better than mediocire at #2, but Snisher's drafting has been solid overall and I can hardly cite the Robinson pick as a colossal screw up warranting a change in staff. Robinson is also pretty durable. You think Rams fans would appreciate that given this franchise's luck with linemen staying healthy.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Stan is a businessman, not a sports owner. Good owners do not give away home games to neutral site games. Bottom line. Fisher is his guy that he hired. He likes him. He has been the coach of a team that has relocated and knows how to handle it. Stan wants to move, Fisher is the coach for such a move. Plus firing him and paying him not to coach makes no sense from a business perspective. If he were an owner that cared about winning more than. The bottom line, then Fish is gone and if I were owner Snead and Demoff would be gone too.

Demoff too? He has been more than solid in my opinion. Especially considering the situation Stan put him in.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Great point. Two cornerstone players in two drafts is great player evaluation plain and simple. What I do not like, however, is that this regime seems to have no feel for certain positions. And QB is a key position. So much so that a good QB is more meaningful to a team than an elite DT.

So looking at these guys my concern is twofold: can they identify a good QB in the draft? And do they have the staff to maximize a QB's talent if they do draft a good one?

Foles' downward spiral as a signal caller and the fact that the Rams signed him before he had a chance to demonstrate whether he's a fit in this offense have greatly shaken my confidence in those questions above. Right now I do not think they have the staff to develop a good QB. Only thing this staff could run consistently is the wildcat, IMO. They're in way over their heads and if Fisher is retained he'd better throw big money around to bring in a legit OC.

FRO

Legend
Demoff too? He has been more than solid in my opinion. Especially considering the situation Stan put him in.
Yes. He is the head of a franchise that hasn't had a winning season in his 7 years here. He hired both Fisher and Snead. Accountability comes from the top. He is a good guy and a great cap guy, but he has some accountability too.

fearsomefour

Legend
QB is just such a game of darts....the way I play darts, not some of our skilled English cousins. Total hit and miss. So many things to consider. This is why I believe in casting a wide net. Find a practice squad guy you like, sign him now, draft a guy, sign a FA to start and bring back Keenum and Mannion. That would be my approach.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The bottom line, then Fish is gone and if I were owner Snead and Demoff would be gone too.
Lmfao. Let's go after the concession manager too while we're at it. Demoff? Wake up and put down the pitchfork dude.

FRO

Legend
Lmfao. Let's go after the concession manager too while we're at it. Demoff? Wake up and put down the pitchfork dude.
So the COO has no responsibility with this team? We going to let him hire the next guy?