Camp Report 7/26/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Bailey, Quick and Britt were the best WRs on the field.

:mad:.

Janoris Jenkins looks like he is refocused and has made some nice plays in coverage.

Best news of the off season for me, if Jenkins can be a + player our D is going to be very good.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i wonder, if indy shows interest in pead will the rams trade him for the right price?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

i wonder, if indy shows interest in pead will the rams trade him for the right price?

Just not sure why people are still so intent on getting rid of Pead. Face it folks, he is still here, and apparently still in their plans.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Ok, that makes me feel better about the secondary. Thanks Coach.

Very sad to hear about Hammer, he was one of my favorite posters. Hope he changes his mind.

Not that I encourage anyone to go back..... Hammer did in fact post a report on the PD forum.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just not sure why people are still so intent on getting rid of Pead. Face it folks, he is still here, and apparently still in their plans.

i'm not intent on getting rid of him. but apparently the rams were shopping him during the draft. you never know in the nfl.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I think the right price could get any of our RB's except Stacy and maybe Mason,I am intrigued by Trey Watts, his father was such a smooth athlete and I think his son probably is the same ,I think he'd be a pretty good third down back if he's as nifty as his dad

CoachO

Hall of Fame
sad :cry: to hear about Hammer...Glad we still have you Coach0....Tell us a lil about EJ Gains..Just a aware kinda kid, ball hawk, opportunistic, great hands? Does he get PBU's too? Is it overthrows/errant throws from the pass rush? Is 2 picks in 2 days a lot, or anything to get super excited about?

Where's Tavon? He catch anything...swing pass..screen...hitch....anything?:confused:l

The biggest thing I like about Gaines, is he just "gets it". Hammer was saying how Greg Williams allows his players to "free lance" (for lack of a better term) and he coaches them to read the formation and make certain adjustments. Compared it to what Richard Sherman excels at in Seattle. He is constantly coming off his man, to chase interceptions.

Not that I am comparing Gaines to Sherman at all, but he does have the knack for always being in the right place at the right time. The play he made yesterday was a perfect example of this. He was running with his man down the sideline, but when he saw the ball in the air, he peeled off his man, and made his way back to the ball. It ends up being overthrown, and he makes a diving INT. This is the sort of thing Hammer was referring to. In the past, we didn't have the types of players who would make this play. they just stay with their man, and assume they did their job.

And for what its worth..... Lamarcus Joyner is the same sort of player. I think BOTH of these guys will do well in a Greg Williams defense.

As to Tavon. He has been paired with Bailey in the 2 WR sets, and also has taken snaps in the backfield. He made on really athletic catch along the sidelines, leaping over the CB (Jenkins I believe), and cradled the ball from McLeod. I would have to say, if this were "live action", McLeod would have laid out Austin on this play, as he made a great read on the play, and got there in plenty of time to make a play. Regardless, it did show Austin's athleticism. Overall, he looks smaller then last year, but if it's possible, much FASTER.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
i'm not intent on getting rid of him. but apparently the rams were shopping him during the draft. you never know in the nfl.

This "shopping" thing is getting so blown out of proportion. Someone "reports" that they were shopping him, and now he is toast? Do you honestly think he is the only player on the roster who was shopped in the off season? These things happen all the time, but since its Pead, it somehow becomes news.

I just don't get the disdain for him. And all the "trade" proposals are kinda useless in my mind. If he is such fodder, that everyone seems to want to discard him, what makes those same people think that any team is just standing in line wanting to give us anything for him? ....when they can just wait for him to be released? Because obviously, until that happens, there will still be people calling for him to go.

They released the STARTING RB from last year, and kept Isaiah Pead. He is still here. He is still contributing, and getting regular reps on offense, not to mention being on every ST unit.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think the right price could get any of our RB's except Stacy and maybe Mason,I am intrigued by Trey Watts, his father was such a smooth athlete and I think his son probably is the same ,I think he'd be a pretty good third down back if he's as nifty as his dad

Watts has shown he has some quick feet and athleticism. But IMO, unless and until someone shows they can actually pick up a blitz amongst the RB, Pead isn't going anywhere. I realize it isn't sexy, and most only see the value if he is getting the ball handed off to him, but it doesn't appear the coaching staff feels that way.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Watts has shown he has some quick feet and athleticism. But IMO, unless and until someone shows they can actually pick up a blitz amongst the RB, Pead isn't going anywhere. I realize it isn't sexy, and most only see the value if he is getting the ball handed off to him, but it doesn't appear the coaching staff feels that way.
Yeah ,I agree and I'm not looking to get rid of Pead, I'm just a fan of the kids dad and was hoping Trey could block , probably why his dad didn't make a career in the NFL

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yeah ,I agree and I'm not looking to get rid of Pead, I'm just a fan of the kids dad and was hoping Trey could block , probably why his dad didn't make a career in the NFL

Watts reeled off probably the longest run from scrimmage yesterday. It was one of those quick hitters up the middle, he hit a seam, and was gone. He definitely shows some ability. Again, just not sure about his overall game. He looks lost running routes, and hasn't displayed the best set of hands.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This "shopping" thing is getting so blown out of proportion. Someone "reports" that they were shopping him, and now he is toast? Do you honestly think he is the only player on the roster who was shopped in the off season? These things happen all the time, but since its Pead, it somehow becomes news.

I just don't get the disdain for him. And all the "trade" proposals are kinda useless in my mind. If he is such fodder, that everyone seems to want to discard him, what makes those same people think that any team is just standing in line wanting to give us anything for him? ....when they can just wait for him to be released? Because obviously, until that happens, there will still be people calling for him to go.

They released the STARTING RB from last year, and kept Isaiah Pead. He is still here. He is still contributing, and getting regular reps on offense, not to mention being on every ST unit.

i have no disdain for him and he isn't fodder. that's why the rams tried to trade him and just cut richardson. they know he has value.

not sure why you're blowing a gasket. the colts lost one of their top 3 rbs. just wondering if they see pead a good fit for them and would the rams trade him for the right price. nothing more.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thanks Coach and I'm pleased to read about Bates. Love the kid and I feel he has quite a ceiling and barring injury IMO they will go to war with Olgetree, Laurinaitis, Dunbar, Steward, Bates & Armstrong...Jury's still out on Steward, but he seems to get the majority of second team reps to this point.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
i have no disdain for him and he isn't fodder. that's why the rams tried to trade him and just cut richardson. they know he has value.

not sure why you're blowing a gasket. the colts lost one of their top 3 rbs. just wondering if they see pead a good fit for them and would the rams trade him for the right price. nothing more.

My bad,, I get what you were saying, I just don't want to see this turn into a "let's get rid of the bum" session again. I realize I am in the minority when it comes to seeing his value, and I tend to go over board in defending it.

I got into a "discussion" with one of those "fans" at the practice yesterday who actually said those words. The "bum" has no business being on the field. And then he proceeded to rip into Quick and Jenkins and Cook. I'm guessing he is a frequent PD follower. He sounded just like em.

So my apologies for the previous "gasket blowing"

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Not likely a team is going to give up anything for a RB at this point - the market will flood with RB options over the next 6 weeks as every team drops down to 53.

Anyway - yes - any time you can get something for a guy that you would otherwise cut its a win - but first, lets figure out who should get cut and who sticks around. The eyes at camp say that Pead looks good, he worked his way onto first unit STs last year, and he is still under a pretty reasonable contract - especially considering most of his # is dead money if we did cut him.

I wonder how much of the (so and so player) runs with the 2s or the 3s is a mental ploy by the coaches. Do some players need to know that it isn't handed to them? Is it s factor of them getting confidence by beating up on lesser comp before they go against the 1s? Or is it really a case of putting the best guys with the 1s and letting the chips fall where they may?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thanks Coach and I'm pleased to read about Bates. Love the kid and i feel he has quite a ceiling and barring injury IMO they will go to war with Olgetree, Laurinaitis, Dunbar, Steward, Bates & Armstrong...Jury's still out on Steward, but he seems to get the majority of second team reps to this point.

I agree, although it you would have see (or HEARD) practice on Friday, you might not have felt so confident about Bates' prospects as he was the target of Williams' wrath on more than one occasion. That he responded on Saturdays says a lot about the kid.

Steward seems to be one of Williams' favorites. He can be heard often praising the kid for his read and react skills in 7 on 7 drills.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My bad,, I get what you were saying, I just don't want to see this turn into a "let's get rid of the bum" session again. I realize I am in the minority when it comes to seeing his value, and I tend to go over board in defending it.

I got into a "discussion" with one of those "fans" at the practice yesterday who actually said those words. The "bum" has no business being on the field. And then he proceeded to rip into Quick and Jenkins and Cook. I'm guessing he is a frequent PD follower. He sounded just like em.

So my apologies for the previous "gasket blowing"

all good man. and i get exactly where you're coming from. i'm not one of those people.