Camp Report 7/26/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So is the secondary a concern at this point or are our receivers just much better than last year? Really hope it's the latter. Receivers seem to be making a lot of plays against our DBs.

Did you ask Hammer if he was doing a report as well, or coming over here to ROD? I would love his opinion.

Hammer said that ROD is reminiscent of the 'Stepford Wives' and he didn't like being told how to post, so I doubt he would ever return here. Probably got banned for saying someone was scary stupid for disagreeing with him. I don't miss his intolerance for differing opinions.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Camp Report 7/26/14

Players not participating: Ethan Westbrooks; Christian Bryant; Sammy Brown; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones.

William Hayes, Matt Daniels, Scott Wells and Jake Long participated in the unit drills, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Trumaine Johnson left practice after coming up hobbling after a contested ball with Quick in the 7 on 7 drills. Did not return.

Justice Cunningham and Emory Blake were limping noticeably mid-way through practice. Were limited after that.

Kenny Britt seemed to be having cramping issues, was stretching with trainers on sideline, he returned to 11 on 11 drills.

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Saffold Wells Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Van Dyk Person Jones Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Washington Barnes Morrell Dill

· I need to point out, the Depth Chart above indicates how they lined up during the UNIT DRILLS and Walk thrus.

· Once they got into any team stuff, bump up both the Center and LT spots.

· So during teams activities it looked like:

o Robinson Saffold Jones Joseph Barksdale

o Van Dyk Person Barnes Bond Hooey

· Davin Joseph was a constant at RG with the 1st unit throughout practice.

· It looks like similar to last year’s DAILY rotation between Shelley Smith and Chris Williams, they have plans to alternate Barnes and Jones at Center this year. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Defensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn

2nd Unit: Sam Carrington Conrath Sims

3rd Unit: Sam Donald Harlan K. Brown

· Donald and Conrath both took reps in team drills with 1st and 2nd units.

Linebackers:

1st Unit: Ogletree Laurinatis Dunbar

2nd Unit: Steward Bates Armstrong

3rd Unit: L. Wilson Schiller Sabino

· After hearing the wrath of G. Williams on more than one occasion yesterday, Daren Bates was flying around today. May have been the best LB on the field.

Defensive Backs:

1st Unit: Jenkins Woodard McDonald McLeod

2nd Unit: McGee Gaines Davis Alexander

3rd Unit: Roberson/J. Bryant/Reid A. Cunningham Alexander

· T. Johnson DNP in any of the 11 on 11 team drills… Woodard stepped into his spot with the 1st unit.

· They got some work in the Nickel Package today.

· McGee worked with the 1st unit in the Nickel CB role

· Joyner worked with the 2nd Unit in the Nickel CB role

· Alexander was “called out” by G. Williams in the 7 on 7 drills, on his lack of recognition of developing routes in a particular coverage

Theme of the day: Offense answers back

o Much better tempo, and production vs, the defense. After a less than stellar day yesterday, the offense had much better luck attacking today, utilizing some 3 WR sets, and pushing the ball down field.

Special Teams:

Started practice with drill work on Kickoff Coverage

1st Unit:

Reynolds Reid Armstrong Pead Bates Zuerlein McLeod C. Davis Cunningham McGee McDonald

2nd Unit:

Woodard Bailey Daniels Harkey Steward Zuerlein Ogletree Veltung Hill Alexander T. Johnson

7 0n 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

Bradford looked much better with his timing. Completions to Bailey Britt and Quick which drew plenty of attention from the crowd

Bailey turned Brandon McGee inside out on a couple of corner routes

Lamarcus Joyner made a nice interception off a pass from S. Hill

EJ Gaines had his 2nd pick in two days, peeling off his man and reacting to an errant throw

Kenny Britt out muscles an underthrow ball from Roberson, adjusting to the ball in the air, and using his size and strength to win the ball… then let the DBs know about it. To the point that Coach Fisher had a brief “conversation” with Mr. Britt.

Lance Kendricks continues to catch everything thrown his way.

Brian Quick had a good day. Catching a nice intermediate pass thrown from Bradford (his best throw of the practice) after coming out of his break vs, Zone coverage

Bailey, Quick and Britt were the best WRs on the field.

Tre Mason sighting. Made a nice catch and run on a route to the sideline, turned it up and showed his burst.

Zac Stacy had a few break thru runs.

Lowlights:

Defense still having its way vs. the O-Line.

Secondary still having some issues with communication.

Blitz pickup still looks to be a concern.

Still too many dead ball penalties… today Bradford did a good job drawing the D-line offsides with a hard count

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

· Kenny Britt continues to show is leadership. He is VERY vocal and has shown to be very supportive of his fellow WRs. When someone makes a play, he is usually the first to acknowledge it. He just has the “look” of a NFL WR. Something that has been missing from this roster.

· Aaron Donald took his share of reps with the 1st & 2nd units. Showed flashes, but was not nearly as “unblockable” vs. Joseph

· Janoris Jenkins looks like he is refocused and has made some nice plays in coverage.

· Joyner continues to show why they are so high on him. The kid can PLAY.

· Greg Williams is VOCAL

o Day 2 and he can be heard regardless of where he is on the field. “Old School” Football

§ The good news….. more than often the player who is called out, responds and gets a “great job, that’s what I’m talking about” from GW

· Continue to see them using a SLB (Ogletree) and WLB (Dunbar) when in Base 4-3. Ogletree looks very good in coverage when lined up across from TE. He runs with Kendricks and/or Cook all over the field.

o This also frees up Dunbar to make more plays in the same role he played in 2012

Also in attendance: HAMMER made an unexpected appearance. For those of you with RamsTalk ties you will know what this means. Seemed like old times!!!!!!

View attachment 2427

Coach I Appreciate the effort and as always the manor in which you deliver the goods....very thorough. thanks.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hammer said that ROD is reminiscent of the 'Stepford Wives' and he didn't like being told how to post, so I doubt he would ever return here. Probably got banned for saying someone was scary stupid for disagreeing with him. I don't miss his intolerance for differing opinions.

I agree, he has a sharp edge sometime. But in his defense, he usually only bit back after someone would make some sort of personal attack. Which we all know is par for the course over there. And when he puts in the vast amount of time to do his research on the draft, people would attack him?

Anyway... moving on!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks Coach, keep them coming!!!!!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
sad :cry: to hear about Hammer...Glad we still have you Coach0....Tell us a lil about EJ Gains..Just a aware kinda kid, ball hawk, opportunistic, great hands? Does he get PBU's too? Is it overthrows/errant throws from the pass rush? Is 2 picks in 2 days a lot, or anything to get super excited about?

Where's Tavon? He catch anything...swing pass..screen...hitch....anything?:confused:

Oh, I saw this link posted on a tweet. It talks about yesterdays practice. Check it out if you have some time. Have you heard of this guy Matt Fritsche (Mathieu Debuchy..@WoozyVirtuoso) Do these numbers look about right to you? How about his assessment....Just curious..Thanks again for all the info & work. It's so much better to see depth & lineups..It makes understanding why Donald is dominant. Why Joseph was signed. Why the 4th string center could be cut.

http://virtuosomedia.blogspot.com/2014/07/rams-training-camp-day-1.html

Honestly, I will pass on commenting on his article. But to answer your direct question as to where or not his numbers look right, IMO, they might as well be made up. I have no idea why or how someone would chart each QBs throws. If he claims Bradford ONLY had 20 pass attempts, I am not sure where he was the rest of the practice. And the WR "targets" aren't even close. Unless he is only referring to the 11 on 11 team stuff. Who knows,, and anyone who wants to use training camp comp % and targets as a way to evaluate these guys, doesn't get it.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
How did Givens look today? Sounds like most were down on him.

Obviously it's way too early, but could we see him being the odd man out if one of these young wideouts steps up? I really hope not. I would like to see and hear about some progress though. He needs to bring something else to the table besides his speed. If you go back and watch game film of him last year against some of the better defenses he was pretty close to useless. I honestly saw Quick open more often than him at times. Maybe put him in the slot or something. Really starting to think he doesn't do much service to this team on the outside.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
First, sadly,Hammer has no plans to write any more reports. He says he has officially passed on the baton.

As to the comments about the secondary. Keep in mind these drills are designed to run the play all the way thru. In more instances than not, with this pass rush being what it is surely to be, the secondary will not have to maintain coverage for a full 3-5 seconds as is the case in these drills.

Sorry to here that regarding hammer.
I signed In to rams talk this morning to see if he wrote a camp report.
His reports will be missed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
How did Givens look today? Sounds like most were down on him.

Obviously it's way too early, but could we see him being the odd man out if one of these young wideouts steps up? I really hope not. I would like to see and hear about some progress though. He needs to bring something else to the table besides his speed. If you go back and watch game film of him last year against some of the better defenses he was pretty close to useless. I honestly saw Quick open more often than him at times. Maybe put him in the slot or something. Really starting to think he doesn't do much service to this team on the outside.

He and Pettis are working together as they continue to rotate pairs of receivers. Bailey and Austin, Britt and Quick, then Givens and Pettis. And to be frank about it, Givens has gotten the least amount of reps. He did have one nice catch on a sideline comeback route, where Hill threw all the way across the field to get the ball to him. But he has not shown much , even as a deep threat as of yet.

I was having a conversation with Hammer today, and we both agree that the guy who may be the surprise odd man out is Pettis. Think about it. When they brought him in, how many other 6'3 WRs did they have? Not Gibson. Not Amendola. Not Salas. Alexander was a huge ? Now they have Britt, Quick, Cook, Kendricks. So his ability to be a big target was something different.

Now, when you factor in he is entering his 4th year, and isn't cheap, and someone like a TJ Moe comes along and can give you the quickness and ST value that Pettis doesn't? Not saying it WILL happen, but its something to think about. Especially if Britt proves to be a keeper.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Coach - Do you think Bradford looked tired or something? I mean, his play was better than yesterday, but it seemed as soon as he was out of the play his energy dropped. He also did a lot of pacing like he was uncomfortable. I'm sure it means nothing in that heat day two, just wondering if you noticed.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach - Do you think Bradford looked tired or something? I mean, his play was better than yesterday, but it seemed as soon as he was out of the play his energy dropped. He also did a lot of pacing like he was uncomfortable. I'm sure it means nothing in that heat day two, just wondering if you noticed.

Honestly didn't pay much attention to that. I watched his movement during his drops, setup, and stepping into the throws,, but really didn't watch him much if he wasn't involved in the drill.

There is always so much to try to see, I don't stay with that very often

PolarBear

Rookie
That rotation idea is genius....Especially Quick & Britt....
Imagine if they both develop into stars... They would be twin towers like Marshall and Jeffery. And Tavon in the slot combined with our oline and rbs...could you imagine?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Imagine if they both develop into stars... They would be twin towers like Marshall and Jeffery. And Tavon in the slot combined with our oline and rbs...could you imagine?

I can!

tumblr_m78eq5rnk61rbsg6jo1_400.gif

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
It sounds like we are coming together in every area except the safeties! Anybody have news on our S? How do they look? Seems they are the only ones left out...

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He and Pettis are working together as they continue to rotate pairs of receivers. Bailey and Austin, Britt and Quick, then Givens and Pettis. And to be frank about it, Givens has gotten the least amount of reps. He did have one nice catch on a sideline comeback route, where Hill threw all the way across the field to get the ball to him. But he has not shown much , even as a deep threat as of yet.

I was having a conversation with Hammer today, and we both agree that the guy who may be the surprise odd man out is Pettis. Think about it. When they brought him in, how many other 6'3 WRs did they have? Not Gibson. Not Amendola. Not Salas. Alexander was a huge ? Now they have Britt, Quick, Cook, Kendricks. So his ability to be a big target was something different.

Now, when you factor in he is entering his 4th year, and isn't cheap, and someone like a TJ Moe comes along and can give you the quickness and ST value that Pettis doesn't? Not saying it WILL happen, but its something to think about. Especially if Britt proves to be a keeper.

I was leaning that way before camp on Pettis. You make some good points about other options for big targets as well. I know they like his reliability, but that can only get you so far when younger more talented players are becoming reliable also. I think it's proven that this FO believes in their own scouting, and will do a lot to see their picks succeed too. That's why I still highly doubt Givens would get cut, but if he did, maybe it would be for a surprise camp body. Someone (at any position) that offers more.

FRO

Legend
I disagree with Pettis being a cut casualty. Dependable hands is something this group (outside Bailey) lacks. Having a guy who can line up everywhere and will catch almost everything is good to have on the roster. He is a depth guy, not a starter, but a very valuable piece to have on the roster. I think Pead/Reynolds are the more likely cut candidates over Pettis.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am always ambivalent about one group doing so much better than the other..whole defense vs whole offense...position group vs position group....Hard to know how well players are doing sometimes...Does one player suck, or does his opposing player perform that much better?..It will be good playing other teams.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

It would be a tough choice cutting a guy Bradford seems real comfortable with

I'm very curious to see how the wr squad plays out.

Even though it's only 2 days in, I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been much of anything positive said about Givens.