Camp Report 7/26/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 7/26/14

Players not participating: Ethan Westbrooks; Christian Bryant; Sammy Brown; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones.

William Hayes, Matt Daniels, Scott Wells and Jake Long participated in the unit drills, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Trumaine Johnson left practice after coming up hobbling after a contested ball with Quick in the 7 on 7 drills. Did not return.

Justice Cunningham and Emory Blake were limping noticeably mid-way through practice. Were limited after that.

Kenny Britt seemed to be having cramping issues, was stretching with trainers on sideline, he returned to 11 on 11 drills.

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Saffold Wells Joseph Barksdale (this was how they lined up during the unit drills)

2nd Unit: Van Dyk Person Jones Bond Hooey

3rd Unit: Van Dyk Washington Barnes Morrell Dill

· I need to point out, the Depth Chart above indicates how they lined up during the UNIT DRILLS and Walk thrus.

· Once they got into any team stuff, bump up both the Center and LT spots.

· So during teams activities it looked like:

o Robinson Saffold Jones Joseph Barksdale

o Van Dyk Person Barnes Bond Hooey

· Davin Joseph was a constant at RG with the 1st unit throughout practice.

· It looks like similar to last year’s DAILY rotation between Shelley Smith and Chris Williams, they have plans to alternate Barnes and Jones at Center this year. Will be interesting to keep an eye on.

Defensive Line:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn

2nd Unit: Sam Carrington Conrath Sims

3rd Unit: Sam Donald Harlan K. Brown

· Donald and Conrath both took reps in team drills with 1st and 2nd units.

Linebackers:

1st Unit: Ogletree Laurinatis Dunbar

2nd Unit: Steward Bates Armstrong

3rd Unit: L. Wilson Schiller Sabino

· After hearing the wrath of G. Williams on more than one occasion yesterday, Daren Bates was flying around today. May have been the best LB on the field.

Defensive Backs:

1st Unit: Jenkins Woodard McDonald McLeod

2nd Unit: McGee Gaines Davis Alexander

3rd Unit: Roberson/J. Bryant/Reid A. Cunningham Alexander

· T. Johnson DNP in any of the 11 on 11 team drills… Woodard stepped into his spot with the 1st unit.

· They got some work in the Nickel Package today.

· McGee worked with the 1st unit in the Nickel CB role

· Joyner worked with the 2nd Unit in the Nickel CB role

· Alexander was “called out” by G. Williams in the 7 on 7 drills, on his lack of recognition of developing routes in a particular coverage

Theme of the day: Offense answers back

o Much better tempo, and production vs, the defense. After a less than stellar day yesterday, the offense had much better luck attacking today, utilizing some 3 WR sets, and pushing the ball down field.

Special Teams:

Started practice with drill work on Kickoff Coverage

1st Unit:

Reynolds Reid Armstrong Pead Bates Zuerlein McLeod C. Davis Cunningham McGee McDonald

2nd Unit:

Woodard Bailey Daniels Harkey Steward Zuerlein Ogletree Veltung Hill Alexander T. Johnson

7 0n 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

Bradford looked much better with his timing. Completions to Bailey Britt and Quick which drew plenty of attention from the crowd

Bailey turned Brandon McGee inside out on a couple of corner routes

Lamarcus Joyner made a nice interception off a pass from S. Hill

EJ Gaines had his 2nd pick in two days, peeling off his man and reacting to an errant throw

Kenny Britt out muscles an underthrow ball from Roberson, adjusting to the ball in the air, and using his size and strength to win the ball… then let the DBs know about it. To the point that Coach Fisher had a brief “conversation” with Mr. Britt.

Lance Kendricks continues to catch everything thrown his way.

Brian Quick had a good day. Catching a nice intermediate pass thrown from Bradford (his best throw of the practice) after coming out of his break vs, Zone coverage

Bailey, Quick and Britt were the best WRs on the field.

Tre Mason sighting. Made a nice catch and run on a route to the sideline, turned it up and showed his burst.

Zac Stacy had a few break thru runs.

Lowlights:

Defense still having its way vs. the O-Line.

Secondary still having some issues with communication.

Blitz pickup still looks to be a concern.

Still too many dead ball penalties… today Bradford did a good job drawing the D-line offsides with a hard count

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

· Kenny Britt continues to show is leadership. He is VERY vocal and has shown to be very supportive of his fellow WRs. When someone makes a play, he is usually the first to acknowledge it. He just has the “look” of a NFL WR. Something that has been missing from this roster.

· Aaron Donald took his share of reps with the 1st & 2nd units. Showed flashes, but was not nearly as “unblockable” vs. Joseph

· Janoris Jenkins looks like he is refocused and has made some nice plays in coverage.

· Joyner continues to show why they are so high on him. The kid can PLAY.

· Greg Williams is VOCAL

o Day 2 and he can be heard regardless of where he is on the field. “Old School” Football

§ The good news….. more than often the player who is called out, responds and gets a “great job, that’s what I’m talking about” from GW

· Continue to see them using a SLB (Ogletree) and WLB (Dunbar) when in Base 4-3. Ogletree looks very good in coverage when lined up across from TE. He runs with Kendricks and/or Cook all over the field.

o This also frees up Dunbar to make more plays in the same role he played in 2012

Also in attendance: HAMMER made an unexpected appearance. For those of you with RamsTalk ties you will know what this means. Seemed like old times!!!!!!

IMG_4735[1].JPG

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So is the secondary a concern at this point or are our receivers just much better than last year? Really hope it's the latter. Receivers seem to be making a lot of plays against our DBs.

Did you ask Hammer if he was doing a report as well, or coming over here to ROD? I would love his opinion.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
You the man, CoachO.

Can't thank you enough from my recliner here in SoCal.

So many good news tidbits about so many players. Love to read about GW, too.

I just can't stop smiling...

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So is the secondary a concern at this point or are our receivers just much better than last year? Really hope it's the latter. Receivers seem to be making a lot of plays against our DBs.

Did you ask Hammer if he was doing a report as well, or coming over here to ROD? I would love his opinion.

First, sadly,Hammer has no plans to write any more reports. He says he has officially passed on the baton.

As to the comments about the secondary. Keep in mind these drills are designed to run the play all the way thru. In more instances than not, with this pass rush being what it is surely to be, the secondary will not have to maintain coverage for a full 3-5 seconds as is the case in these drills.

Last edited:

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
First, sadly,Hammer has not plans to write any more reports. He says he has officially passed on the baton.

As to the comments about the secondary. Keep in mind these drills are designed to run the play all the way thru. In more instances than not, with this pass rush being what it is surely to be, the secondary will not have to maintain coverage for a full 3-5 seconds as is the case in these drills.

Ok, that makes me feel better about the secondary. Thanks Coach.

Very sad to hear about Hammer, he was one of my favorite posters. Hope he changes his mind.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like the depth of your coverage.Thanks.

What about Pettis.Is he making the team ? I wonder why Tavon's name is not showing up much in camp.Why is he not returning punts ?(maybe because of injury issues)

RFIP

How did you think Sam (Bradford) was moving today?

No mention of it in your report so maybe he was moving better?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Like the depth of your coverage.Thanks.

What about Pettis.Is he making the team ? I wonder why Tavon's name is not showing up much in camp.Why is he not returning punts ?(maybe because of injury issues)

Because they haven't worked on Punt Returns yet. He is among the guys who are fielding punts from the jugs machine before practice.

As far as him not "showing up" he is taking his regular reps, and is being used mostly on underneath crossing routes. He made a highlight type catch along the sideline on one of the few balls he has had thrown to him beyond the 5 yr crossing routes. The problem with this particular play, if it had been live, McLeod had made a great read on the ball, and would have absolutely laid Austin out on the play. No way its a completion if they were live.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

He MOVED fine yesterday. Mobility and his knew do not look like an issue in the least. His rustiness yesterday, was more from timing and rhythm issues. and he was much more comfortable today.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
the other note worth mentioning, and I can't believe I forgot to put it in the OP,, Michale Sam had a very good practice. He was causing issues in the backfield all day. Granted he was working against 2nd & 3rd team RTs (Hooey mostly) but he showed his burst and leverage. He has the ability to drop his hips and turn the corner while engaged, and the taller Hooey couldn't handle him.

RamzFanz

Damnit

He's fine BUT I would rate him as tired or bothered or overheated (it was HOT) or something. He lacked energy in my opinion when he wasn't in the play.

Last edited:

RamzFanz

Damnit
the other note worth mentioning, and I can't believe I forgot to put it in the OP,, Michale Sam had a very good practice. He was causing issues in the backfield all day. Granted he was working against 2nd & 3rd team RTs (Hooey mostly) but he showed his burst and leverage. He has the ability to drop his hips and turn the corner while engaged, and the taller Hooey couldn't handle him.

Showing some hustle. Dude is bigger in person than on TV.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pead getting many looks on offense?

Is he running w the 2s?

He had more opportunities yesterday. Today Stacy got the lions share of the work, along with Cunningham.

He had a few carries today, but they really don't run the ball alot during these 11 on 11 drills,, about enough to keep the defense somewhat honest.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Curious to see the DBs in more game-like situations, especially TJ McDonald. I think he's going to have a big year and going to have to if we are to meet our goals

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
sad :cry: to hear about Hammer...Glad we still have you Coach0....Tell us a lil about EJ Gains..Just a aware kinda kid, ball hawk, opportunistic, great hands? Does he get PBU's too? Is it overthrows/errant throws from the pass rush? Is 2 picks in 2 days a lot, or anything to get super excited about?

Where's Tavon? He catch anything...swing pass..screen...hitch....anything?:confused:

Oh, I saw this link posted on a tweet. It talks about yesterdays practice. Check it out if you have some time. Have you heard of this guy Matt Fritsche (Mathieu Debuchy..@WoozyVirtuoso) Do these numbers look about right to you? How about his assessment....Just curious..Thanks again for all the info & work. It's so much better to see depth & lineups..It makes understanding why Donald is dominant. Why Joseph was signed. Why the 4th string center could be cut.

http://virtuosomedia.blogspot.com/2014/07/rams-training-camp-day-1.html