Bye Tavon ??? STAYS ON RESTRUCTURE!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Me when I got the notification this morning:

source.gif

So your saying the news of Tavon being traded or released gave you an enormous orgasm?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I wish him all the best but I’m not gonna miss the dread that I felt whenever he fielded a punt.

Or that stutter step thing he did which never achieved anything.

Or his apparent refusal to run north/south.

Or his love for the sideline.

Or his lack of route running ability despite having all the athletic traits required.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Um...nerdiest?

I used physics and differential calculus to talk about why Wentz throws the ball farther (not gonna go into that again...it's called the f(search)...cwutididthar?)

67046077.jpg

I'll start off easy:

Science gives me a Hadron.

You can't trust geometry in a bar. Well, not all of geometry is bad, but you definitely cannot trust (sin b)/(tan b).

Oh, and I just thought of a TERRIBLE dad joke (can't help myself)...

I have to get rid of my cat. He's a freakin' Communist. All he ever talks about is Mao.

enhanced-13839-1429814730-9.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s0UURBihH8

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Um...nerdiest?

I used physics and differential calculus to talk about why Wentz throws the ball farther (not gonna go into that again...it's called the f(search)...cwutididthar?)

67046077.jpg

I'll start off easy:

Science gives me a Hadron.

You can't trust geometry in a bar. Well, not all of geometry is bad, but you definitely cannot trust (sin b)/(tan b).

Oh, and I just thought of a TERRIBLE dad joke (can't help myself)...

I have to get rid of my cat. He's a freakin' Communist. All he ever talks about is Mao.

What's your beef with geometry? I always use it as a builder. Helps me in many ways.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I was always tavon's biggest fan. Thought for sure mcvay would get the best out of him. Didn't happen.

Part of the problem was tavon never backed himself. Always ran out of bounds last season. That td he scored against the seagulls was tavon at his best. He had multiple opportunities to run through the same gaps throughout the year but for some reason always ran out to the sideline. Every time he had the ball on the outside you would see a little crease, think he was gonna put his foot down and turn upfield using his elite acceleration, and then nothing. He runs out of bounds. Not good enough if your coach only sees you as a rb.

At least he gave us some thrills in the dark ages of the fisher era. That handoff against the bears in his rookie season where he reversed the field and took it to the house was in my opinion his best play for the rams. Then he did a similar run against the cards the next week and i thought he was gonna take over the league. Unfortunately not to be.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I was always tavon's biggest fan. Thought for sure mcvay would get the best out of him. Didn't happen.

Part of the problem was tavon never backed himself. Always ran out of bounds last season. That td he scored against the seagulls was tavon at his best. He had multiple opportunities to run through the same gaps throughout the year but for some reason always ran out to the sideline. Every time he had the ball on the outside you would see a little crease, think he was gonna put his foot down and turn upfield using his elite acceleration, and then nothing. He runs out of bounds. Not good enough if your coach only sees you as a rb.

At least he gave us some thrills in the dark ages of the fisher era. That handoff against the bears in his rookie season where he reversed the field and took it to the house was in my opinion his best play for the rams. Then he did a similar run against the cards the next week and i thought he was gonna take over the league. Unfortunately not to be.

I, like you believed that McVay would be able to scheme him into being a game-changer, but for some reason it didn't happen. I don't question his physical abilities or his willingness to be coached and play, he's been a master at putting in huge blocks for the team. I also think that #11 brings a lot to the table that his stats don't necessarily show...

BUT, I think there was something up with him last year, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 100% - fitness wise. Also there was a psychological issue with regards to the Punt Returns, I mentioned it during the season, it happens sometimes, it looked like he was scared of being tackled or something - I'm treating all these rumours as that, until I hear from the Rams themselves...

What I worry is that on another team I'm sure he'll be a breakout player. I'd hate to see him go the the 49ers and become JimmyG's go to guy....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would they want to announce trade or cut? Is there an obvious reason here a team would trade for him instead of forcing the Rams hand and waiting until they release him?
Well I think it gives the player and his agent an opportunity to talk to other teams without any fear of tampering. I think a team that picks him up is only responsible for the 3mill (I could be wrong) so it’s possible a team would take a late flyer on him.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
What I worry is that on another team I'm sure he'll be a breakout player. I'd hate to see him go the the 49ers and become JimmyG's go to guy....

A lot of people felt the same about Greg Robinson. I think this will play out the same way.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
with the trade he just pulled off for Peters i can see snead getting at least a 2nd for Tavon on a more serious note someon out there may pull the trigger on a 4th ? package that with some 6;s maybe sneak into back into the 3rd ?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I did as well. I even wanted him in the draft, much as I hate to admit it, on the back of that game I had watched where he lit up some unfortunate team for a bazillion yards, was absolutely certain he'd be an impact player at this level. So I was behind the trade-up and figured once he got some coaching on routes and whatnot he'd be fantastic. Made excuses for him for a couple years too.

Certainly don't get any happiness from this. It still irks me that he was "injured" during last year's critical camp where he needed to get in there, humble himself, and learn. Still irks me they didn't trade him when they knew damn well he wasn't a fit, but they were lured by his talent and hoping he'd explode under this staff.

I learned a lesson with him, personally, along with some others who I had hope for early on like Quick... That intelligence and technique really matter in this league. As a result I am now much more selective on the WRs I like going into a draft, where I look a lot harder at how well they go in and out of their breaks and can sell the route.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I learned a lesson with him, personally, along with some others who I had hope for early on like Quick... That intelligence and technique really matter in this league. As a result I am now much more selective on the WRs I like going into a draft, where I look a lot harder at how well they go in and out of their breaks and can sell the route.
Ditto that for the last two LOTs we picked high in the first round, Jason Smith and Greg Robinson. Both described as incredibly athletic but "raw", meaning they had to learn the proper technique to play in the NFL. They could not.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
In 2016 4 total tds. Last year 1 td and 19 total yards per game. He lost more fumbles this past season than tds and first downs combined. Not even worth 3 million especially with cooper returning and the big 3 wideout package. There's just no place on this roster but I wish him success wherever he goes.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.
I think the Rams tried to accommodate him on the team as much as possible but it didn't work.
Even through his mistakes I was willing the guy on hoping he would have a huge game..

He may yet perform well on another team, that will remain to be seen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ditto that for the last two LOTs we picked high in the first round, Jason Smith and Greg Robinson. Both described as incredibly athletic but "raw", meaning they had to learn the proper technique to play in the NFL. They could not.

Yes. And this is also why I don't try to rack and stack the tackles in particular, because so many of these guys don't have a clue on technique and will require development time. I mean you can look for a good punch and kind of look at their feet but technique out there on the edge can dramatically change how a guy looks, so I don't waste my time looking at too much of their film. The teams have the edge there with the interviews and knowing which guy is dedicated to his craft for their projections.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Plus McVay seems to have a thing about fumblers.

Among all the things that I think are working against Austin with the Rams right now it is his terrible ball security. McVay says it a lot, "it's all about the ball". And he means NOT turning it over. After 4 dropped punts he got yanked from the PR spot.

Austin is certainly not trusted by McVay based on those fumbles and the fact that he only gave him 59 rushing attempts and 13 receptions. I think McVay gave him he ball enough to make the Jet Sweep something to beat defenses with on fakes.

I'm not sure what happened but he seemed to really regress after a couple of years where he was decent and flashing incredible play making ability.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Psycho_X

Legend
I'm not sure what happened but he seemed to really regress after a couple of years where he was decent and flashing incredible play making ability.

Just got inside of his own head I think. Goes back to his ego being bruised by the competition being brought in. Not in a way that it made him angry or a bad teammate but just that I think he was suddenly not "the guy" anymore and he started to worry about his job for the first time in his life probably. He was never very sure handed to begin with anyway so add in some nerves and it spelled doom for him. A clean start some where might rejuvenate his confidence so he can at least be a role player for someone.

Hopefully, Cooper doesn't experience the same regression after a playoff performance that could haunt a players career.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
~Wizard of Garden Grove in 2013
I kinda like that handle

Wiz of GG.....hmmmmm
Say what you will, rejoice if thats your thing, but Tavon earned my respect in 2017 in how he handled himself in the locker room.

Definitely team guy....no complaints....and pros pro....Team leader and respected.......I rate him and Saffold as team leaders....locker-room guys.

I can say, he's a hell of a running back.

Curious about his extra work on pass catching and playbook study however.

jap

Legend
It is so amazing to me that a guy who has such incredibly great natural speed, quickness, and change-of-direction abilities could not translate those gifts to adequate route running. Isaac Bruce, like Tavon, is one of those rare people who could make 90-degree cuts at full speed. I thought Tavon would really benefit from talks with Isaac. However, it seemed that it was actually Tavon's old roommate, Stedman Bailey, who benefitted the most from Isaac.

Perhaps if Tavon had not damaged his wrist last off-season and had participated fully in TC and if Sammy had arrived early enough to truly connect with Jared rapport-wise, his big play ability would have attracted enough attention to allow Tavon more room in the open field. With NFL defenses so used to swarming the area around elite offensive speedsters with defenses, Tavon was always going to need other playmakers to siphon off the rabid attention he drew from DCs. Too bad things did not work out for him here.