Breaking down the Rams day two draft selections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Grade the Rams draft so far

• Total voters

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Did it ever occur to people Snead may have had more than a hand in picking McVay and part of the reason was continued control over the Draft? Be as positive as you like but this has Snead's fingerprints all over it. Reaches at every round with the exception of Kupp and small school scheme players with potential. Goff should be sick. He gets no new Oline help and no #1 WR .....agsin, but I know a few bubble players who are cracking the champagne not to mention Tru Johnson. yikes. "pay me."

There is no Snead conspiracy.

Just an organization trying to improve the teams' talent pool. I thought McVay and Snead worked well together. You can't call it reaching when a team trades back 3 plus times to get the guy they want while picking up more picks

As far as not helping Goff -- You gotta be joking we signed Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan - quality offensive line vets - so thank God we don't have the youngest team in the league 6 years running

Basically in your opinion: Everett, Kupp (who you like) Reynolds, Rogers, Whitworth, Woods, Sullivan, et all are making Goff sick? Seriously?

I don't see it

Sure you can argue not picking up Lamp, but that's gotta be an indication that this current regime likes what they have in the cupboard when it comes to the offensive line, lots of young guys with experience who they can coach up

Lastly Tru has been a solid Ram his entire career, so I'm personally not a big fan of how you are coming after a guy as if he's some money grabber like people somehow don't want to get paid - or that he should forgo 16 million cause you think it's unjust, thr Rams franchised him back to back, what's a guy supposed to do?

I say pay Trumaine

…..

Legend
Drafting scheme guys works pretty well in places like Pittsburgh, NE and GB. The Rams just always have shifting schemes.
I have a feeling some WRs are getting dumped pretty quickly.
Woods, Austin and the two draft picks probably have spots sewn up. Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, Marquise and the PS guys better dust up their resumes.
It has the feel of giving up on last years rookies, and to me that is a mistake. There are just not enough spots.

…..

Legend
If this is directed towards my comment, I clearly said these were were 2 impact players, who ALSO, I'm guessing partially because they are impact players, would be in the top rated within their respective positions.

And who's ranking this #67 player, etc? You're basically saying it's fine to use this ranking from someone who doesn't coach at the highest kevel, but if someone agrees with an nfl coaching staff on their player grade, that's just crazy. Sure, that makes sense.
I'm saying to leave a much higher ranked player who could fill a position of need (CB) on the board, then take a flyer on another player who's position is overstocked(WR)... is not worthy of an 'A' ranking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Grade: (B-) I gave it this grade because I felt like the Rams could have traded down again or taken him later on. There were definitely other guys there, but there is no denying the talent he possesses so he gets a B-.

Who I would have taken: Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston

Player Comparison: (Jordan Reed, TE, Washington Redskins) Both players are smaller, but speedy and are physical freaks.

Other players passed up: CB Quincy Wilson, Florida, LB Tyus Bowser, Houston, S Justin Evans, Texas A&M, Obi Melifonwu, UConn, S Josh Jones, NC State, CB Chidobe Awuzie, Colorado, C Ethan Pocic, LSU

I'm confused, Jake. The draft isn't about whether they took a guy exactly where you foresaw him going. The draft is about whether they took an effective player who fits their system.

You concede that Everett reminds you of Jordan Reed. If Everett ends up being Jordan Reed, how is this a B- pick?

They did reach on every pick Jake. Stick to your guns...a bunch of 4.6 guys...that don't look like they'll play much to me.

They did stick to THEIR guns. They just didn't stick to YOUR guns. ;)

I'm a little confused as to where they are going?

They valued character and football ability over SPARQ scores.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It has the feel of giving up on last years rookies, and to me that is a mistake. There are just not enough spots.

They are 4-6th rounders who played on the 32nd ranked offense. They aren't world beaters. There was absolutely no reason not to go into this draft with the intention of adding as much offensive talent as possible with the deficiencies the rams have in that area. Rams aren't giving up on them. They have to compete like everyone else and if they get beat out by the more talented player it only helps.

I'm saying to leave a much higher ranked player who could fill a position of need (CB) on the board, then take a flyer on another player who's position is overstocked(WR)... is not worthy of an 'A' ranking.

32nd ranked offense that lost their leading WR who was the only guy to get 1000 yards since Tory Holt. The position was far from overstocked.

Stop holding out. Please share the pictures of the rams board with the rest of us

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anything higher than a C grade thus far is pure kool aid. Not that theres anything wrong with that at a website like this.

You dont give a A "because the coach liked the pick". Are you serious?

Rams have left top talent on the board while reaching for thier scheme guys. We will see how that works out. But to me if you leave the #67 overall player on the board when you have great value picking at 117 ....and instead draft the 130th over all player to add to an overcrowded recieving corps, YOU DO NO GET AN A...

Are we talking about the Josh Reynolds pick? Dog, that's an A+ pick. We don't have an overcrowded WR corp. We have a WR corp that we spent all of last year trashing. We have a WR corp filled with unknowns. Reynolds adds the deep threat element that we arguably lacked. But more than anything, Reynolds gives us a skill-set that we simply don't have right now.

He's a value pick where we got him. I would have taken him a round earlier without thinking twice. That kid produced in the SEC against big time competition. Aside from being skinny, he offers the entire package as a WR. He's a kid who worked his ass off to earn what he has. He walked onto the team at A&M and became one of the SEC's most productive WRs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They did stick to THEIR guns. They just didn't stick to YOUR guns.
Unfortunately people can't grasp this concept that's why half the board is already writing off the 2017 season.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm just going by what Lance Zerlien said in regards to Fish --- glad you're not saying someone who took the time to read your post is a moron.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/fish-smithson?id=2558079

Weakness

Undersized for his work in the box. Tackling inconsistencies are troubling. Flat-footed tackler who takes force rather than dealing it. Has had a substantial amount of missed and broken tackles over last two seasons. Lacks the twitch to make sudden adjustments in space. Athletic limitations prevent him from making some of the plays his eyes unveil. Unable to carry speed down the field or stick with crossing routes in man.

Draft Projection
Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line
Smithson is a little smaller and a little slower than teams might like at the safety spot, but his instincts and overall football intelligence make up for some of his physical limitations. With six interceptions over the last two seasons, Smithson has shown that he has the ball skills to pair with his instinctive nature, but his issues finishing tackles will not be taken lightly by NFL teams. Smithson has NFL backup potential.
Well there you go Zierlein has no idea what he is talking about. Wasn't calling you a moron, I was saying you were saying something moronic.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately people can't grasp this concept that's why half the board is already writing off the 2017 season.

I can't blame them. I'd be pissy if things went the other direction. The Rams' philosophy just happened to be the philosophy I felt was best this year.(stop taking athletes who are still learning the game; focus on taking skilled football players with character)

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I get the feeling that some people are just meant to complain. If we hired Jessica Alba as our main cheerleader and she was to entertain them at half time they'd still find a reason to tick and moan :D
Well, Duh. You should have hired Jennifer lawrence

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Drafting scheme guys works pretty well in places like Pittsburgh, NE and GB. The Rams just always have shifting schemes.
I have a feeling some WRs are getting dumped pretty quickly.
Woods, Austin and the two draft picks probably have spots sewn up. Cooper, Thomas, Spruce, Marquise and the PS guys better dust up their resumes.
Good point.
I was honestly thinking to myself..." I feel like I;m watching the Steelers draft instead of the Rams"
Blue collar football players, that just go to work.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I can't blame them. I'd be pissy if things went the other direction. The Rams' philosophy just happened to be the philosophy I felt was best this year.(stop taking athletes who are still learning the game; focus on taking skilled football players with character)

Students of the game.

Agreed 100%. This is what I hoped too.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Breaking down the Rams day two draft selections

2nd round, 44th overall pick (via trade w/ Buffalo Bills): Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

3rd round, 69th overall pick: Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
Who I would have taken: Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State

3rd round, 91st overall pick (via trade w/ Buffalo Bills): John Johnson, S, Boston College
Who I would have taken: Desmond King, CB/S, Iowa
Overall day two draft grade: (C)

Jake: 2nd round, 44th Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

Gerald Everette
was not my fist choice (Lamp was) and Tyus Bowser, OLB was on my radar but I understood the pick. If your team is building a new offense around the scheme of its new HC that puts a high premium on TE's, you give this selection the benefit of the doubt especially when they felt Jordan Reed talent was all over this guy.

I don't care if the kid played at S. Alabama. Gerald showed his talent against SEC Mississippi State with 8 catches 95 Yards 11.9 YPC 29 Long 1 TD. Proved he can play against the big dogs.

Cooper Kupp? Your respect for Chris Godwin from several weeks ago has been noted but he was drafted where he was (11th WR SELECTED ) because NFL professional scouts put that value on him. I had him rated 9th overall and @jrry32 had him rated #6 overall. I assure you we did as much film study as you did if not more. Godwin was never a TOP 5 WR in this draft. Now he may end up being better than his rating but to discount Kupp based on personal projection of Godwin comes across a little bit biased because you didn't get your guy.

I say that because I had JuJu rated above Kupp and though I didn't get my guy, he was never by a big margin over Kupp after I did several film sessions on the consensus top 10 WR's. Kupp was never a secret or even close to a reach where he got drafted. Kupp would've gone first round had he ran a 4.4 at the combine. The 4.6 40 gave him a ridiculous knock down when you watch his body of work......

This pick I didn't expect so I have no rational in depth pre-draft words to debate taking him over Desmond King. I will say that after watching his film after he was selected and that he has a Corner/Safety skill set made me understand this pick a lot more. The Rams have been missing a legit center fielder on the back end for way too long and if he's as good as where Wade and the Snead's scouts ranked him, I'm going to give them the nod on this pick. Not a pick I expected but the more film and scheme/fit understanding makes this not a reach. Unexpected yes but not a reach by any means.

ZjYyrFlaYcfblB541VNqc0rQGc11tgLh9-OH2A6nhEjd149XyP2AhapLYXEioN8TCNJbLtI=s170

0f0f00a.png

Last edited:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jake: 2nd round, 44th Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

Gerald Everette
was not my fist choice (Lamp was) and Tyus Bowser, OLB was on my radar but I understood the pick. If your team is building a new offense around the scheme of its new HC that puts a high premium on TE's, you give this selection the benefit of the doubt especially when they felt Jordan Reed talent was all over this guy.

I don't care if the kid played at S. Alabama. Gerald showed his talent against SEC Mississippi State with 8 catches 95 Yards 11.9 YPC 29 Long 1 TD. Proved he can play against the big dogs.

Cooper Kupp? Your respect for Chris Godwin from several weeks ago has been noted but he was drafted where he was (11th WR SELECTED ) because NFL professional scouts put that value on him. I had him rated 9th overall and @jrry32 had him rated #6 overall. I assure you we did as much film study as you did if not more. Godwin was never a TOP 5 WR in this draft. Now he may end up being better than his rating but to discount Kupp based on personal projection of Godwin comes across a little bit biased because you didn't get your guy.

I say that because I had JuJu rated above Kupp and though I didn't get my guy, he was never by a big margin over Kupp after I did several film sessions on the consensus top 10 WR's. Kupp was never a secret or even close to a reach where he got drafted. Kupp would've gone first round had he ran a 4.4 at the combine. The 4.6 40 gave him a ridiculous knock down when you watch his body of work......

This pick I didn't expect so I have no rational in depth pre-draft words to debate taking him over Desmond King. I will say that after watching his film after he was selected and that he has a Corner/Safety skill set made me understand this pick a lot more. The Rams have been missing a legit center fielder on the back end for way too long and if he's as good as where Wade and the Snead's scouts ranked him, I'm going to give them the nod on this pick. Not a pick I expected but the more film and scheme/fit understanding makes this not a reach. Unexpected yes but not a reach by any means.

ZjYyrFlaYcfblB541VNqc0rQGc11tgLh9-OH2A6nhEjd149XyP2AhapLYXEioN8TCNJbLtI=s170

0f0f00a.png
Not bad. I will say and you can hold me to this. I think John Johnson is the worst pick (not player) we have made in the last five years. He will end up being a stud under the coaching staff, but he was not worth a third round pick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The point of a draft is to improve your football team.

I gave the Rams an "A" because they did that extraordinarily well.

I'll put my evals and track record up with anyone.

I don't care who folks liked. That's so fraught with peril and HOW MANY years to we see fans geek out over a player that's not even in the league two years later???

When I break down video of the players the Rams took, they took guys with a PASSION for football, High Football IQ and experience. These are players with the capacity to contribute, day one, from first pick to last.

Is ANYONE going to question Wade Philips? Who here has the ability to articulate how one of the TE gurus in this league is wrong...today... about Everett, when we've not seen him in McVay's system, yet.

My point is that when I do my evals based on who the player is and how he projects IN OUR SYSTEM, that's entirely different than trying to match need with some abstract and arbitrary numerical grade.

Take Cooper Kupp. Based on watching him in action, I saw him as the BEST WR in this draft. He projects to me to be every bit of Antonio Brown. He's BETTER than Keenan Allen.

You put Cooper Kupp in Asshole Face's O or even better in New England's O with those seasoned passers and he could set records for rookie WRs which is why I was so shocked New England didn't move up for him. They're always swimming in picks, they could have offered next year's picks if need be. Kupp is worth it.

Guys on this board WILL be buying and wearing Sam Rogers' jersey before too long.

And John Johnson, while entering a crowded field, looks to be exactly what we need. And seriously, anyone who cites Cody Davis as anything other than the perfect example of where and why we need to upgrade simply doesn't know. I can't help that.

You all know me. I was so harsh last year that I had to take a sabbatical because people didn't want to hear it. And it played out like I said. I take no joy in that. Doesn't mean I didn't see what I saw and that it was right.

Well... the good news is that THIS draft looks like a damned HOME RUN. We got FOOTBALL PLAYERS the likes of which we haven't drafted since Ike. Not kidding.

You all just watch.

It's that pattern thing again and it looks extraordinarily good for us. If you believed in Goff AT ALL, if you believed in Snead AT ALL, if you believe in McVay and Wade Philips AT ALL... then you're gonna be richly rewarded with a season that surprises all of us, including folks like me that see us improving greatly.

Anyway, feel free to go back to doubting and being miserable about this draft.

When it comes time to play, I'm supremely confident that all the belly-aching will transition to rabid enthusiasm.

Winning does that and that's what's coming.

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
They did reach on every pick Jake. Stick to your guns...a bunch of 4.6 guys...that don't look like they'll play much to me.

Jerry Rice was a 4.6 guy... It's about can a player play, not being the next Mike Mamula...

Oh and another 4.6 guy? Antonio Brown. Pretty sure he can play.

Best not to get too caught up in numbers.

…..

Legend
Are we talking about the Josh Reynolds pick? Dog, that's an A+ pick. We don't have an overcrowded WR corp. We have a WR corp that we spent all of last year trashing. We have a WR corp filled with unknowns. Reynolds adds the deep threat element that we arguably lacked. But more than anything, Reynolds gives us a skill-set that we simply don't have right now.

He's a value pick where we got him. I would have taken him a round earlier without thinking twice. That kid produced in the SEC against big time competition. Aside from being skinny, he offers the entire package as a WR. He's a kid who worked his ass off to earn what he has. He walked onto the team at A&M and became one of the SEC's most productive WRs.

Thats all well and dandy....but if the A+ player sticks then you lose the A+ player you drafted last year. Thats my thing....you cant do that and expect to be successful. I'm not trying to trash...but what are you going to say next year when we go WR strong again? Eventually your pics need to stick and you move on to the next position group of need.