Breaking down the Rams day two draft selections

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Grade the Rams draft so far

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Breaking down the Rams day two draft selections
227364_b4d0e84ea61041a2bbf7feb2604223ee~mv2_d_4244_3280_s_4_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2017/04/29/Breaking-down-the-Rams-day-two-draft-selections

Draft day two is in the books and the Rams have now added three new former college players to their roster. We will break them each down with what they bring to the table, who the Rams left on the board leading up to the selection, the draft grade and player comparisons.

2nd round, 44th overall pick (via trade w/ Buffalo Bills): Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
227364_187b1f5d86f142fd9287eab39f2f2ff0~mv2.webp

Let me just start off by saying this shocked me, I heard rumblings that they were very interested, but had no idea he was that high on their list. With Everett you are getting a great player, but I did not like how early they picked him. The Rams originally passed up the opportunity of picking first round talent that can play every position on the line in Forrest Lamp. Instead he went to the Chargers and the Rams traded down with the Bills making a nice move to recoup a third round pick in exchange for a fifth. It was an overall good move.

Now looking at Everett’s game, Sean McVay sees him as his version of Jordan Reed. Everett was reportedly rated one or two on their board at the tight end position. Everett is not a great blocker, but he has the strength to do it and more so has the potential to grow in that area. With McVay, you are looking at a former tight ends coach that will be able to teach Everett the fundamentals and the proper technique to be a well-rounded blocker. What you like about Everett is the fact he is a tough and athletic player with or without the ball in his hands.

Everett ran a 4.62, benched 22 reps on the bunch press, and had a 37.5 vertical jump, well over 10 foot broad jump, 6.99 second three-cone drill and a 4.33 in the 20-yard shuttle. He is a freaky talent and is considered an Evan Engram consolation prize. Although, Engram lacks the pure strength and toughness that Everett gushes.

He can come in and right away offer the ability to be an instant impact player for Jared Goff and Sean McVay on day one. Everett and Higbee will likely run a split TE set and maybe even three TE set as confirmed by McVay. Everett is faster and stronger than any tight end on the Rams roster. To be quite honest Everett is a total freak and while he did run a 4.62, that is real good for a TE. Everett will be able to flex out wide, play inline and h-back. The Rams get themselves a real nice weapon in Everett and Goff has to be happy about it.

Grade: (B-) I gave it this grade because I felt like the Rams could have traded down again or taken him later on. There were definitely other guys there, but there is no denying the talent he possesses so he gets a B-.

Who I would have taken: Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston

Player Comparison: (Jordan Reed, TE, Washington Redskins) Both players are smaller, but speedy and are physical freaks.

Other players passed up: CB Quincy Wilson, Florida, LB Tyus Bowser, Houston, S Justin Evans, Texas A&M, Obi Melifonwu, UConn, S Josh Jones, NC State, CB Chidobe Awuzie, Colorado, C Ethan Pocic, LSU

3rd round, 69th overall pick: Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington
227364_5e37a23886374a71bb59b2c0c8e9ac73~mv2.png

The Rams get another day one instant impact starter in Cooper Kupp. Kupp, was a little bit of a surprise, but I had a feeling they were taking him over my top WR available Chris Godwin. Kupp is older than Odell Beckham Jr. and he’s the most polished receiver in this class. There isn’t really a weakness to his game besides the fact he ran a 4.62 which is below average for a wide receiver. Kupp brings versatility to the Rams receiving core as he can play both inside as a slot receiver or outside as a No.1 or No.2 receiver.

Kupp has ideal height at 6-foot-1 and he is just over 200 pounds. One thing I have always liked about Kupp going back to when I studied his game film was his ability to catch everything thrown his way, he doesn’t drop any passes, he makes sharp and quick cuts in the middle of the field and is an acrobat who dives and puts his body on the line to make the grab.

Like I said, I wanted Godwin so that hurts my grade of this pick a little bit seeing as I felt Godwin had the higher ceiling and was a better prospect, but I will say that Kupp is going to be a confidence booster with Jared Goff. He is going to give Goff the feel good confidence to throw all over the field to him because he will know that even when Kupp is covered he is going to be open. Rams landed another really good player in their first two picks.

Grade: (B+) This gets a grade of a B+ because simply there was a higher rated WR on my board that they passed on. Kupp is still a great addition and the Rams did well in getting Goff some weapons to work with.

Who I would have taken: Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State

Player Comparison: (Keenan Allen, WR, Los Angeles Chargers) Kupp is a carbon copy of Allen, can win on the inside and outside, fell in the draft because of their forty times, both have ideal size for the position, both have great hands and both can fight for the contested catch.

Other players passed up: WR Chris Godwin, Penn State, C Pat Elflein, Ohio State, G Dan Feeney, Indiana, WR Taywan Taylor, Western Kentucky, DE Jordan Willis, Kansas State, LB Duke Riley, LSU, LB Alex Anzalone, Florida, DE Daeshon Hall, Texas A&M, LB Tim Williams, Alabama, WR ArDarius Stewart, Alabama, CB Fabian Moreau, UCLA

3rd round, 91st overall pick (via trade w/ Buffalo Bills): John Johnson, S, Boston College
227364_658fa734ac104cd7abf3435da9ae704a~mv2.webp

The Rams as previously mentioned traded down at the top of the second round and acquired the 91st pick in the process. They used that pick on, in my opinion, the biggest reach quite possibly of the draft. John Johnson is a defensive back from Boston College that is versatile, he can play either safety or corner in the NFL.

He’s a former three-year starter at corner that they moved to safety and the Rams reportedly had been targeting him for quite some time. He’s a player just like Kupp that took a pre-draft visit with the Rams and they really liked what they saw. I think this is, in all honesty, the worst pick in the last half decade as far as an initial reaction. That’s not to say he can’t play and we won’t show up and play well, but I feel like if you truly wanted this guy that badly you could easily have traded back into the fourth round and grabbed another pick.

What does Johnson bring to the table? Well, I mentioned he was versatile, but he is a guy that can instantly come into a special teams unit and compete since he played some real good special teams at BC. He has some real loose hips that allow him to improve and shows that he has some potential there. He’s a player that will go and jump in front of a route and make a big game-changing interception. However, what I don’t like about this pick is the fact you could have got him easily in the fourth and maybe in the fifth. He is a bad tackler, he’s a slow safety running a 4.61 and he really doesn’t put all his body and his leverage into his hit with cause’s guys to bounce off him often.

Johnson, I just don’t see him playing a ton early on, the Rams moved LaMarcus Joyner to free safety, the have Cody Davis, Brian Randolph, Marqui Christian, Isaiah Johnson and likely Blake Countess at the position. I don’t get this pick, but at least they knew about him and did their homework, it sounds like the coaches just love the player and feel like he can be a stout player at the next level, I just saw that there were better players and you could have picked through a crop of safeties that have some impressive day three talents in Fish Smithson from Kansas, David Jones from Richmond, Montae Nicholson from Michigan State and even Rayshawn Jenkins from Miami who all would have been better picks for the value.

Grade: (D) Too early for this player, there were much better talents on the board and there are more valuable talents at the position on day three.

Who I would have taken: Desmond King, CB/S, Iowa

Player Comparison: (Micah Hyde, S, Buffalo Bills) Both players have great versatility and the ability to make significant plays on special teams, but both are not elite safeties or Pro Bowl type safeties. I like Hyde a lot, but I wouldn’t spend a third rounder on a guy who is lacking in too many areas early on.

Other players passed up: CB Jourdan Lewis, Michigan, DT Montravius Adams, Auburn, CB Cameron Sutton, Tennessee, S Delano Hill, Michigan, WR Kenny Golladay, Northern Illinois, CB Cordrea Tankersley, Clemson, WR Chad Williams, Grambling St., CB Rasual Douglas, West Virginia, TE Jonnu Smith, FIU, CB Brendan Langley, Lamar, DE Trey Hendrickson, FAU, RB James Conner, Pittsburgh

Overall day two draft grade: (C) The Rams got some starters, but the grade goes down to a C because of the fact John Johnson was a reach. The Rams arguably may have reached on every pick, but they were two great players that were only slight reaches. The 91st pick the Rams used on a guy that wasn't even ranked by Pro Football Focus. With a C to their report card and the rest of the division hitting some home runs. The Rams need to finish strong today on day three.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? How do you grade this draft? Let us know!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Your assessment about Johnson is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah, he was a shocker. But he's a very good football player. Most of us didn't like it, because we didn't really have the need. But he's a good kid, has a head with a brain in it on his shoulders, and fits what Wade wants in his defense. He actually landed in the range as outlined in his combine results. So to say this was a huge reach, is a bit of a joke. He had a great combine.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
A bit harsh on the grade. I give it an A because they started the draft with only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, yet added 2 impact starters who I'm sure we're in the top of their respective positional rankings on the rams board. Johnson, is basically a bonus and if wade likes him, then I'll go with that over any analyst everytime.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really wanted Lamp so Coach McVay better be right about Everett.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Really wanted Lamp so Coach McVay better be right about Everett.

Yeah but Coach, didn't they just draft a boatload of Olineman a mere two yrs ago?

With Snead still around I really didn't see that happening

Then again, if taking Lamp would have expedited that horrible pick of GR departure...

SierraRam

Recreational User
Yeah but Coach, didn't they just draft a boatload of Olineman a mere two yrs ago?

With Snead still around I really didn't see that happening

Then again, if taking Lamp would have expedited that horrible pick of GR departure...

Like two of our picks so far, the OL's we got two years ago could have been taken a round or two later. Lamp is a legit first round talent. If Everett produces, all is forgiven... ;)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with taking King over the S.
King that's been passed on by ever pick since then including other CB and FS guys? Clearly the NFL doesn't like King as much as some of us fans.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough.
I have no opinion about the S pick.
Just looked there have been 6 safety's picked since we took Johnson over King. There must be a reason he's falling. Same can be said for TE Jake Butt he was mocked in the 2nd or 3rd by fans. But he's still there with 7 TE having been picked.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Your assessment about Johnson is absolutely ludicrous. Yeah, he was a shocker. But he's a very good football player. Most of us didn't like it, because we didn't really have the need. But he's a good kid, has a head with a brain in it on his shoulders, and fits what Wade wants in his defense. He actually landed in the range as outlined in his combine results. So to say this was a huge reach, is a bit of a joke. He had a great combine.
If Wade thought this highly of the Kid,then I am on board.
Wade understands his value a hell of lot more than any
Media draft pundits.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just looked there have been 6 safety's picked since we took Johnson over King. There must be a reason he's falling. Same can be said for TE Jake Butt he was mocked in the 2nd or 3rd by fans. But he's still there with 7 TE having been picked.

Sounds like he's gonna be the Butt of somebody's joke.

…..

Legend
Anything higher than a C grade thus far is pure kool aid. Not that theres anything wrong with that at a website like this.

You dont give a A "because the coach liked the pick". Are you serious?

Rams have left top talent on the board while reaching for thier scheme guys. We will see how that works out. But to me if you leave the #67 overall player on the board when you have great value picking at 117 ....and instead draft the 130th over all player to add to an overcrowded recieving corps, YOU DO NO GET AN A...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There were other guys there. It's actually not but ok.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit harsh on the grade. I give it an A because they started the draft with only 2 picks in the first 3 rounds, yet added 2 impact starters who I'm sure we're in the top of their respective positional rankings on the rams board. Johnson, is basically a bonus and if wade likes him, then I'll go with that over any analyst everytime.
I don't look at Johnson as a bonus. I look at him as a wasted opportunity. Sooo many better safeties.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Grade: (D) Too early for this player, there were much better talents on the board and there are more valuable talents at the position on day three.

If Sports media is your dream,then I would like to give you one mans opinion of your post
It is a bit of a turn off for me to hear a writer Claim to know what talents were available,better than
the people who spend many years, every day, all day perfecting their craft.
It makes me want to stop reading. I would rather hear what this kid has to offer that
enticed the Rams to make this decision,when you, and others had other options
rated higher.
It's cool to come off as being very knowledgeable on draft talent,It's
when writers try to come off as being far more knowledgeable than the professionals
that makes me kinda shy away.
Jake I think you do a hell of a job.I hate we missed out on our boy Godwin.lol
I am not here to judge your writing so much as to offer one mans opinion.
Just one opinion among many,that you can use to dominate your craft.
I hope my insight helped.I'm a Fan,Bro. Go Rams.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I don't look at Johnson as a bonus. I look at him as a wasted opportunity. Sooo many better safeties.

Not sure man, I think a kid like Johnson is what I was hoping for with Awuzie, a versatile leader who can play on the outside, the slot, and safety

It's exactly what this team needed out of the DB selection

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams arguably may have reached on every pick
They did reach on every pick Jake. Stick to your guns...a bunch of 4.6 guys...that don't look like they'll play much to me.

but I wouldn't have taken that kid outta Iowa, King, in any round.

I'm a little confused as to where they are going?

,better than
the people who spend many years, every day, all day perfecting their craft.
oh really? Why...because they work in the NFL? It's like saying Bobby Flay is the best chef cause he's on the food network.
These same men, esp Snead, have drafted for the last 5 years....and look at the results. Some have said John Lynch shouldn't be a GM...no experience, yet he had one of the best drafts in some time. Look at the Seahawks draft. Look at the Bengals. Hell, look at the Browns! Some said Jerry Jones didn't know what he was doing as a GM...yet, he's put together a team better than most.
I look at the Jets...the Bills...and us...and wonder, do all these dudes, who have spent years perfecting their crafts, know what the hell they're looking at? Sorta like the Tampa staff that traded up....TRADED UP for a fg kicker...that hadn't made a fg over 40 yards....Some people do the same thing every day....poorly.

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
Considering what we've had to work with and what the Rams want to do, I give them a B. Really no "Big Names" but really these are guys that fit and do a lot of things extremely well.