Bernie: NFL ramps up efforts for LA team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He did try to buy the Dodgers and recently bought land in a good spot for an NFL stadium, so i don't think it's too much of a stretch to say he's got his eyes on the L.A. market...
He may, but where has the Rams organization shown it? They havent
Bernie stated 3 teams have eyes on LA. Oakland and San Diego HAVE made inquisitions directly related to moving there, where the Rams havent.
I dont doubt for a second that LA is a possibility for Kroenke, heck it wouldnt surprise me one bit, but that isnt the point.
My point/frustration with the article is combining speculation with fact, and grouping them together

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The league has openly pushed for the Raiders to share theWhiners stadium.
It appears to be that the nfl doesn't want the Raiders in LA.
This makes sense if the Chargers are in LA.
The Chargers make the most sense at this point.

Greg Stone

Rookie
So if it isn't mind reading I guess Stan told you that? or he's wearing a sign that says that? .If the man didn't say it,it's mind reading.

Like I said the guy's going to great lengths to be a citizen of the community and all he gets from people with a negative outlook is the typical class envy where those without money think the only thing that motivates a person with lots is acquiring it. Stan's commitment to Mizzou the state and to Missouri sports has been demonstrated sufficiently to me by his work getting that team here in the first place .
Peter King can be quoted as saying that Stan wants the Rams to mean to this city something comparable to what the Cardinals do,but when the lead columnist on the cities only major newspaper keeps painting him with a jealous brush and makes a point of even accusing the owner of getting schadenfreude from keeping his mouth shut during negotiating for facilities to make GOOD ON PROMISES MADE TO HIM,I won't let that go.
He got out of the lease because of what is called constructive eviction, his landlord didn't live up to the agreement,you gonna keep renting from someone who won't fix the roof if it leaks?
If it bleeds it leads with Bernie and if there isn't any blood ,he brings up the past blood, but not to worry though Bernie doesn't like me either so it's mutual admiration thing, we've emailed back and forth several times and he's an even bigger arsehole in private than he is in print,no mind reading about that complete with name calling.

Putting aside all the unrelated comments, again, I don't have to read his mind. Although we missed each other by a couple of years Stan and I both have business degrees from the same university. I was a CPA and worked with many business owners and was a business owner myself. I've watched Stan's career. A successful businessman is one that maximizes the return on his investments. This is universal. It's not mind reading or guesswork. I respect a player who goes to the team that pays him the most money and I respect a business owner who locates his business in the place that offers him the greatest return. Stan seems honest straight forward and he plays to win. In business "winning" means getting the most profit.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That's your own spin on what I said, as you well know. Why you always have to get dramatic is beyond me. By all means, continue on with what you were doing before I gave my opinion.

I just call it like I see it blue and your statement dripped with jealousy, the mention of the mans wealth was a bigoted statement no less bigoted than mention of race, gender ,sexual orientation, it's bigotry,only there are so many money bigots sympathy towards it is in short supply, hard to feel for someone you envy I guess.
Nice dismissiveness in that post too ,what I was doing is trying to rid this thread of emotional assumptions ,de dramatize it as it were ,then we get this economic bigotry and the picture of why people are upset becomes crystal clear , but FYI ALL the NFL owners are billionaires and compared to the other owners I'll take a low key supportive socially conscious guy like Stan over the Jerry Jones' or the guy in Cleveland who claims a homeless man convinced him to pick Manziel any day,or a drunken druggie like Indy has ,we have a damned good owner who deserves to be defended ,your statement said he didn't ,exhorted other s not to defend him, F that and that way of thinking.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Putting aside all the unrelated comments, again, I don't have to read his mind. Although we missed each other by a couple of years Stan and I both have business degrees from the same university. I was a CPA and worked with many business owners and was a business owner myself. I've watched Stan's career. A successful businessman is one that maximizes the return on his investments. This is universal. It's not mind reading or guesswork. I respect a player who goes to the team that pays him the most money and I respect a business owner who locates his business in the place that offers him the greatest return. Stan seems honest straight forward and he plays to win. In business "winning" means getting the most profit.
So you think all the man is about is money no pride in giving to community , his support of Mizzou athletics puts the lie to that, if he has a goal for this community and that football team it could very easily supersede his desire for profit,it's remarkable to me seemingly intelligent people don't consider that a distinct possibility.

Greg Stone

Rookie
So you think all the man is about is money no pride in giving to community , his support of Mizzou athletics puts the lie to that, if he has a goal for this community and that football team it could very easily supersede his desire for profit,it's remarkable to me seemingly intelligent people don't consider that a distinct possibility.

No, I have a high opinion of Stan and you have made my point for me. How does he talk about Mizzou? It's obvious that a piece of his heart is there. How does he talk about the Rams - like all his other investments.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
No, I have a high opinion of Stan and you have made my point for me. How does he talk about Mizzou? It's obvious that a piece of his heart is there. How does he talk about the Rams - like all his other investments.
NO he talks about the Rams being as much a part of St.Louis as the Cardinals, Peter King said so in an interview less than two weeks ago.

Irish

Starter
NO he talks about the Rams being as much a part of St.Louis as the Cardinals, Peter King said so in an interview less than two weeks ago.

Do you have a link to that article? Peter King has appeared on a couple radio programs i listen to, and i get the sense that he feels Stan is ambivalent if anything at all

AZRamsFan93

The league has openly pushed for the Raiders to share theWhiners stadium.
It appears to be that the nfl doesn't want the Raiders in LA.
This makes sense if the Chargers are in LA.
The Chargers make the most sense at this point.
I do believe that the intent - long term - is to have 2 teams in LA. One AFC and one NFC.

That doesn't mean the Rams will be one of them, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. Those that think it's not possible may someday be sadly disappointed.

If I were in STL I would be pushing for a sweetheart deal in helping Stan to get way richer. He would make around $1B in investment value (immediately) by moving the team to LA. No amount of low lease payments will cover a $1B investment gain.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I honestly don't believe the Rams are moving to LA. I believe the government and Kroenke will work out a deal. Right now they are already talking, behind the scenes. Remember when Bernie, JT, and Demoff all said something like the needle swung in St. Louis favor, I truly believe that is occurring. They will work something out, I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

ShaneFalco

LA fans need to get over it.

Rams are in St. Louis.

besides look at what happens to teams and population from fanbases in Cali.

CH9jE09.png

Raiders loses massive amounts of fans when the 49ers start to play well. Vice versa. THIS IS THE REASON THE RAMS LEFT LA. You guys are the most fickle, bandwagon group there is. You guys dont even rock Lakers jerseys now, you rock Clippers.

Moving a team to LA when you guys cant even decide whether to support the 49ers or the Raiders or the Chargers would be the worst decision for an owner.

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I do believe that the intent - long term - is to have 2 teams in LA. One AFC and one NFC.

That doesn't mean the Rams will be one of them, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. Those that think it's not possible may someday be sadly disappointed.

If I were in STL I would be pushing for a sweetheart deal in helping Stan to get way richer. He would make around $1B in investment value (immediately) by moving the team to LA. No amount of low lease payments will cover a $1B investment gain.

Value isn't cash flow and cannot be deposited or spent, it can't be used for anything except leveraging a loan and I don't think SK needs to take out loans on his investments.

I owned an event production company for many years. Venues are gigantic money makers, that's why SK owns the venue for every team he has. That isn't going to happen in LA. It probably will in STL. He will make more owning a stadium in STL than he ever will not owning the venue in LA, it has nothing to do with low lease payments.

You mention the "value" going up 1 billion. Add up the money he will make over the next decade when parking, inside ad sales, concessions, renting to other events and all the rest are funneling into his company's account and then see which one you can use LOL.

He will make more off of the venue than he will off of the Rams. Go look at how much bizs the Convention Center does in STL.......you'll see what I mean.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

That is my thinking on pushing the Raiders out. The Chargers make the most sense to be in LA, eliminating the Raiders.
Two teams in the same division sharing a stadium? I don't see that happening.

AZRamsFan93

Value isn't cash flow and cannot be deposited or spent, it can't be used for anything except leveraging a loan and I don't think SK needs to take out loans on his investments.

I owned an event production company for many years. Venues are gigantic money makers, that's why SK owns the venue for every team he has. That isn't going to happen in LA. It probably will in STL. He will make more owning a stadium in STL than he ever will not owning the venue in LA, it has nothing to do with low lease payments.

You mention the "value" going up 1 billion. Add up the money he will make over the next decade when parking, inside ad sales, concessions, renting to other events and all the rest are funneling into his company's account and then see which one you can use LOL.

He will make more off of the venue than he will off of the Rams. Go look at how much bizs the Convention Center does in STL.......you'll see what I mean.

You make good points. I don't think that Stan owns the Rams for their cash generation. There are way better ways for him to spend his money to generate far more cash (like real estate development).

Your assumption that he will not own his venue in LA is an odd one. That is a major part of the concern - Stan is buying up LA land that could be used to build his own facility - one that would attract far more events in SoCal than he likely would in STL (18M metro population versus < 3M).

The $1B valuation increase is huge, and it would be way more than that if he builds his own stadium. The Rams would jump to the top 5 in value of all worldwide sports teams IMHO. Guys like Stan are much more impressed with their overall valuation than they are with how low the rent is in their stadium.

You are thinking too small.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
LA fans need to get over it.

Rams are in St. Louis.

besides look at what happens to teams and population from fanbases in Cali.

CH9jE09.png

Raiders loses massive amounts of fans when the 49ers start to play well. Vice versa. THIS IS THE REASON THE RAMS LEFT LA. You guys are the most fickle, bandwagon group there is. You guys dont even rock Lakers jerseys now, you rock Clippers.

Moving a team to LA when you guys cant even decide whether to support the 49ers or the Raiders or the Chargers would be the worst decision for an owner.

This isn't a STL fans vs. LA fans issue. So save it for another board.

MrMotes

Starter
He may, but where has the Rams organization shown it? They havent
Bernie stated 3 teams have eyes on LA. Oakland and San Diego HAVE made inquisitions directly related to moving there, where the Rams havent.
I dont doubt for a second that LA is a possibility for Kroenke, heck it wouldnt surprise me one bit, but that isnt the point.
My point/frustration with the article is combining speculation with fact, and grouping them together

I get what your saying but a lot of this is coming from Sam Farmer who says the land is a big deal, the NFL is serious about getting a team in L.A. and Farmer describes The Rams as having one foot out the door.

So the Rams eyeing L.A. might not be a hard fact but i think it's a pretty fair characterization. And again, not sticking up for Bernie, but Farmer is a pretty good reporter...

MrMotes

Starter

Your premise that SK wouldn't be concerned with his net worth seems ludicrous to me.

He already owns stadium sized land in L.A. and if he builds a stadium and plays there, he can also rent it out to a 2nd L.A. team. It's a pretty amazing opportunity if someone can pull it off...