Bernie: NFL ramps up efforts for LA team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
You can even see them through your cloud of smoke ZigZag :cool:

smoking.gif

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
You don't know that.

Believe it or not it's possible to be an informative columnist with an opinion without coming across like a jilted lover in 90% of your pieces.

Is it OK to rise up and defend millionaire players? I just want to know how much money a person is allowed to make before people can argue on their side.

Neither do you.

Possible, not probable, or do you not watch any sports shows?

Who said anything about players? Isn't this about the owner? I didn't say a single thing about any player. That was a Bernie-worthy strawman there.
It isn't about defending any person due to money, as the owner and the tax base are in a potential showdown. His results will speak for themselves, he doesn't need help. You have really been reading Bernie.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd bet Fisher and the players had more to do with the riot outreach than Stan did. Let's not make the man a saint simply because he owns our favorite team, the same as not convicting him for his common sense silence on St. Louis.

Also, Bernie is in the news/entertainment business. If he wrote every piece like we would want him to, he'd be putting people to sleep on one hand and being accused of being a raging homer on the other. He writes that way because it's a BUSINESS the same as Stan's silence is business. Hate for one is just as silly as hate for the other.

Also, we don't need to rise up in defense of a billionaire.
Play a little hard to get at least, fan base. Sheesh.

So he get's no credit for hiring people with an organizational ethos like that.

So money to you removes a persons right to being treated like a human,gotcha, sounds like jealousy to me

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So he get's no credit for hiring people with an organizational ethos like that.

So money to you removes a persons right to being treated like a human,gotcha, sounds like jealousy to me

Didn't say any of that, as you well know Thordaddy.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Possible, not probable, or do you not watch any sports shows?

That's like saying the only way to get music updates is from MTV. I stay away from the trash, but there are plenty of good shows to listen to, and plenty of good, informative columnists to peruse. I recommend branching out if the majority of what you're watching/reading is produced by the Steven A. Smith's of the sports world.

Who said anything about players? Isn't this about the owner? I didn't say a single thing about any player. That was a Bernie-worthy strawman there.
It isn't about defending any person due to money, as the owner and the tax base are in a potential showdown. His results will speak for themselves, he doesn't need help. You have really been reading Bernie.

You pointed out Kroenke's bankroll as a reason that he doesn't need to be defended. I'm just not sure why that's relevant when discussing the issue.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That's like saying the only way to get music updates is from MTV. I stay away from the trash, but there are plenty of good shows to listen to, and plenty of good, informative columnists to peruse. I recommend branching out if all you're watching is the Steven A. Smith's of the sports world.

You pointed out Kroenke's bankroll as a reason that he doesn't need to be defended. I'm just not sure why that's relevant when discussing the issue.

Again, all I said is that sports shows and columns are a business designed to attract viewers, and that it's silly to hate them for it. Of course there are different types. You infer quite a bit again.

Perhaps I should have typed the word owner behind billionaire. Again, his results will speak for themselves and I'm sure as a successful businessman he'd have it no other way.

cracengl

Rookie
I wonder if this is a calculated step by the NFL to get some of these cities to jump. They've held it over everyone's head for so long it was starting to become an idle threat. Now with St. Louis set to expire, it's the perfect time to force the hand of as many potential teams as possible. No one is going to move to LA without somewhere to play.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Didn't say any of that, as you well know Thordaddy.
Your words meant that and YOU KNOW IT,whether he gets defended apparently hinges on his personal wealth ,or maybe you'd like to attempt a clarification instead of weak denial

TexRamFan

Rookie
So if it isn't mind reading I guess Stan told you that? or he's wearing a sign that says that? .If the man didn't say it,it's mind reading.

Like I said the guy's going to great lengths to be a citizen of the community and all he gets from people with a negative outlook is the typical class envy where those without money think the only thing that motivates a person with lots is acquiring it. Stan's commitment to Mizzou the state and to Missouri sports has been demonstrated sufficiently to me by his work getting that team here in the first place .
Peter King can be quoted as saying that Stan wants the Rams to mean to this city something comparable to what the Cardinals do,but when the lead columnist on the cities only major newspaper keeps painting him with a jealous brush and makes a point of even accusing the owner of getting schadenfreude from keeping his mouth shut during negotiating for facilities to make GOOD ON PROMISES MADE TO HIM,I won't let that go.
He got out of the lease because of what is called constructive eviction, his landlord didn't live up to the agreement,you gonna keep renting from someone who won't fix the roof if it leaks?
If it bleeds it leads with Bernie and if there isn't any blood ,he brings up the past blood, but not to worry though Bernie doesn't like me either so it's mutual admiration thing, we've emailed back and forth several times and he's an even bigger arsehole in private than he is in print,no mind reading about that complete with name calling.

I have thought lately that something must have happened between Bernie and the Rams. I too have noticed many of his articles and comments have a negative tone towards Kroenke. I have started to speculate Bernie is flat out mad because he cannot get any information from Kroenke. But just me speculating. Maybe he is fed up with the loosing, maybe he is tired of not know, I don't know. But I am in agreement with you THOR. I think Kroenke does a ton of good and much, if not all of it goes unnoticed.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Your words meant that and YOU KNOW IT,whether he gets defended apparently hinges on his personal wealth ,or maybe you'd like to attempt a clarification instead of weak denial

That's your own spin on what I said, as you well know. Why you always have to get dramatic is beyond me. By all means, continue on with what you were doing before I gave my opinion.

VARam

I wonder if this is a calculated step by the NFL to get some of these cities to jump. They've held it over everyone's head for so long it was starting to become an idle threat. Now with St. Louis set to expire, it's the perfect time to force the hand of as many potential teams as possible. No one is going to move to LA without somewhere to play.

I, for one, hope the STL taxpayers don't give in. We have another issues to deal with.

cracengl

Rookie
I understnad it isn't easy, I lived in CLE when the whole Browns thing went down, it was awful and I'm not a Browns fan.

Anyway it's more how Bernie turns a phrase. He didn't say it is difficult for fans to deal with the silence he said "On top of that, the Missouri native Kroenke has seemingly enjoyed tormenting his own fan base with his cold, calculated aloofness."

It's a crappy thing to say and isn't all that accurate to boot.

This is a negotiation. Stan does himself no favors using superfluous rhetoric while he's waiting for St. Louis to make their move. Just because St. Louis is taking their sweet time to place their bet is not Stan's fault--you have to have something to go on in order to make your move. Some people equate this to selling you old 1990 Honda Accord, where you're all like "my asking price is $1000, but I'd probably come down to $250 because I really love that car and just want it to find a good home." It's a multi-million (or billion) dollar deal where the stakes are very high. And personally--if it doesn't work out--I'll be happy that Stan didn't blow smoke up my ass for years on end only to pull the rug out from under me.

TexRamFan

Rookie
besides, which kroenke owned team has ever won anything of significance? that's the real problem for st. Louis AND L.A. Rams fans.

His teams always seem to be competitive actually. As far as won anything of significance, well I guess that depends on who you ask. This comes from his bio....KSE stands for Kroenke Sports Enterprises.

KSE’s dedication to success has been clearly evidenced by the consistent playoff runs of its teams. The Avalanche is a perennial playoff participant and defeated the New Jersey Devils in June 2001 to win the Stanley Cup, the second in the team’s history, and has won a record nine division titles in Denver.

The Nuggets have returned to prominence with a remarkable turnaround and have made five consecutive playoff appearances. The Crush was crowned champion of the Arena Football League in 2005 and the Mammoth, which has made the playoffs in each of its six seasons, won the NLL championship in 2006.

Historically no stranger to championships, Mr. Kroenke is also vice chairman and co-owner of the 2000 Super Bowl Champion St. Louis Rams. A native Missourian, his emergence as an owner of the Rams was critical in the effort to return professional football to St. Louis in 1995.

cracengl

Rookie
I, for one, hope the STL taxpayers don't give in. We have another issues to deal with.

I agree that building a new stadium all the time just because someone else has a bright shiny new toy is not going to be feasible every 20 years or so. If they do build one, Stan's going to have to contribute significantly and it's going to have to be structured better than the dome, in that it needs to actually bring a more sizable chunk of revenue to the city.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I have no doubt that the Rams will be very relevant from this year on. Hopefully, that speeds the talk along.