Austin Pettis waived (confirmed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Off Topic - But was Kuechly's contact with the referee anything more than incidental? Looked like the ref was coming at him from the rear and he just pushed him off. Maybe I don't like Steve Smith but he seemed to do more to warrant being tossed from the game than Kuechly.
From what I saw the ref had him by the arm and he shucked it without looking to see who it was . But ya know after last year's Carolina game I have zero sympathy for those slugs.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
After the drop that cost us the game in Philly, I support this move. I wonder if the play Chris Givens made on our late scoring drive might have reinforced what the coaches thought, that Givens has more potential then Pettis ever will. This is a production business, gentleman.

If this is a production business, then Givens has no business on this team.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
After the drop that cost us the game in Philly, I support this move. I wonder if the play Chris Givens made on our late scoring drive might have reinforced what the coaches thought, that Givens has more potential then Pettis ever will. This is a production business, gentleman.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pettis had 107 grabs for 1034 yards in 3.5 seasons
Givens has 81 grabs for 1347 yards in 2.5 seasons
If its a production decision, then you're picking on the wrong guy

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pettis had 107 grabs for 1034 yards in 3.5 seasons
Givens has 81 grabs for 1347 yards in 2.5 seasons
If its a production decision, then you're picking on the wrong guy

Givens did most of his damage 2 seasons ago.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Givens did most of his damage 2 seasons ago.
Givens worst full season was his 2nd, which had him catching 34 balls for 569
Pettis in his 3 full seasons only eclipsed that receiving total 1 time, with 38 catches for a career high 399 yards

Again on production Givens is the better guy

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pettis is also a free agent after this season anyway. Either would be the 5th receiver going forward, and get few targets - might as well keep the one who might contribute next season at least as depth on a cheap rookie contract.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pettis is also better at scoring. Something Givens just plain ain't good at.
8 td in 3 full seasons vs 3 in 2 full seasons. Neither setting the world on fire there

I like Pettis and think he'll end up elsewhere. But for me, if its a choice between the 2 I go with the higher upside guy. Givens in his 1st year was better than Pettis ever was. And if his dog house trip this year has him motivated, maybe we can see those numbers again. He sure saved our bacon on sunday

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Pettis in his 3 full seasons only eclipsed that receiving total 1 time, with 38 catches for a career high 399 yards

How many times was each thrown to? How many were first downs? How many were scores? How many were tough? Because I haven't seen Givens make a tough catch, or out fight someone, or even go up and get a ball. Hopefully the last catch he made is a sign of improving. Otherwise, just based on what I have seen, behind the scenes not included of course, I am not a fan of Givens at all. He looks like all talent but not a lot of courage to me. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
They were both late for a meeting, so that had to be a contributing factor...I really think Fisher has had enough of the crap from some of these guys...He (Fisher) did say they needed room for another position(s), so there is something going on, no clue as to what...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Pettis is also a free agent after this season anyway. Either would be the 5th receiver going forward, and get few targets - might as well keep the one who might contribute next season at least as depth on a cheap rookie contract.
This is probably the best post regarding Pettis. It's clear they weren't going to bring him back next year.
Also, the fact that he is a FA after the season made his trade value non existent.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
He caught that contested ball in SEA on our final scoring drive, Austin freaking Pettis couldn't even catch a short uncontested ball let alone the next play where the db breaks up the pass on Pettis again. So his production is putting us in a position to beat the Seahawks when we lost the Eagles game solely because of Pettis.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Pettis and Givens were in a battle for a job the second Britt was signed. The only reason this is happening now is because we had Bailey suspended and then Austin hurt.

I'm just curious what they are going to do with the roster spot that they 'needed to free up'.

Lets give Pettis some credit - he made a huge catch in that TB game - a catch not many guys in the world can make. We would have lost that game without that catch.

But for a hands / size guy - he can't have drops like he did in the Eagles game. He makes either one of those grabs, and that game might have been a W.

As I have said before - the good news is that at one time, Givens and Pettis were basically our 1 and 2 WRs. The corps has come a long way since then.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How many times was each thrown to? How many were first downs? How many were scores? How many were tough? Because I haven't seen Givens make a tough catch, or out fight someone, or even go up and get a ball. Hopefully the last catch he made is a sign of improving. Otherwise, just based on what I have seen, behind the scenes not included of course, I am not a fan of Givens at all. He looks like all talent but not a lot of courage to me. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Well for one, you said "production", and now you're talking more intangibles. Based on production, Givens has the better numbers.
Pettis saved the Tampa game for us, Givens had a huge catch in the Seattle game. Remains to be seen if Givens will blow a game like Pettis did in Phully.
I'm also curious to here more detail of what Pettis and Blake did, I think there's more to that story

lockdnram21

Legend

Bingo i would take Givens all day. with Quick and Britt getting so much attention i think Givens is about to become a factor

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bingo i would take Givens all day. with Quick and Britt getting so much attention i think Givens is about to become a factor
Would be great to see him out on a deep ball, start stretching that D. There was some magic brewing with he and Sammy in his rookie year, lets see if Davis can stoke that fire

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He caught that contested ball in SEA on our final scoring drive, Austin freaking Pettis couldn't even catch a short uncontested ball let alone the next play where the db breaks up the pass on Pettis again. So his production is putting us in a position to beat the Seahawks when we lost the Eagles game solely because of Pettis.

That was a well thrown ball completely uncontested. Good pattern good separation, but nowhere near contested.