Austin Pettis waived (confirmed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
That was a well thrown ball completely uncontested. Good pattern good separation, but nowhere near contested.

It was man to man defense - as you said, he won with his speed gaining seperation from the defender and it was a good pass, but its not like it was blown coverage - he just beat his guy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bingo i would take Givens all day. with Quick and Britt getting so much attention i think Givens is about to become a factor
Would be great to see him out on a deep ball, start stretching that D. There was some magic brewing with he and Sammy in his rookie year, lets see if Davis can stoke that fire

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
It was man to man defense - as you said, he won with his speed gaining seperation from the defender and it was a good pass, but its not like it was blown coverage - he just beat his guy.
That's not what I mean by contested. That's where the defender has a shot at either catching the pass or knocking it away with contact.

Athos

Legend
He sure saved our bacon on sunday

I'd say it was the Hags coverage that saved our bacon. And I thank Carroll greatly for it. Givens hasn't shown anything. Even this season. Glad for the catch, but Pettis made a more difficult one against TB. And I'm in no way a Pettis fan. But I absolutely hate the way Givens plays. He's still the 5th WR on this team and doesn't contribute much since he's awful on ST.

He can run a go-route, though at this point, I wonder how well because he seems a crap ton slower than his timed 4.3 speed and much slower since his rookie campaign. I think Austin needs to be put in a position for those 9-routes.

Regardless, with Davis' play style, I want big bodied WRs who can jump through the roof, or have size and speed combos. After jerry posted about it, I'm way up on this Kevin White kid. Or hell, even DGB if you are convinced you can control him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless, with Davis' play style, I want big bodied WRs who can jump through the roof, or have size and speed combos. .
I think we got plenty of them, what I'd love to see is a guy stretch the field with speed

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pettis had 107 grabs for 1034 yards in 3.5 seasons
Givens has 81 grabs for 1347 yards in 2.5 seasons
If its a production decision, then you're picking on the wrong guy
If TDs are the ultimate gauge of production then Givens is non existent.

For someone who was considered a starter the entire year last year, he had ZERO TDs. And same results thus far this year.

Say what you want about Pettis. He was a threat in the red zone.

Athos

Legend
I think we got plenty of them, what I'd love to see is a guy stretch the field with speed

White, DGB, Cooper will all run a 4.45 or better in my opinion. More than enough speed. And significantly more talented than Givens. I don't want a one-dimensional speed guy. Unless you're D-Jax, you won't be all that successful. Or, you run routes like TY Hilton.

Athos

Legend

For someone who was considered a starter the entire year last year, he had ZERO TDs. And same results thus far this year.

Has Givens ever even been used in a RZ package? I'm trying to think, but I can't really remember. Probably not, because, as a smaller guy, you need to be a quality route runner and fight for the ball to be in RZ packages. Which is why Welker is a beast in that area.

lockdnram21

Legend
White, DGB, Cooper will all run a 4.45 or better in my opinion. More than enough speed. And significantly more talented than Givens. I don't want a one-dimensional speed guy. Unless you're D-Jax, you won't be all that successful. Or, you run routes like TY Hilton.
what about sammy coates from Auburn

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Pettis plays in the slot, Givens is a wide out. Of course Pettis is getting more TD opporutnies. Thats apples to oranges. So if we are going with "production" I suppose there are 3 specific catagores, rec/yards/td Pettis has the edge in 1 catagory and Givens overwhelmingly better in the other 2
Givens had 1 good year and 1 lousy 1. Pettis never had a good year. He's a fringe #5 guy
Like Givens or not, you cant just ignore his rookie year

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's all well and good, but I thought the discussion was comparing Givens and Pettis? I checked the roster and didnt see any of those guys on it. Lol
I'm only concerned in this topic about which guy helps the team this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends how you quality "good year." 8 TDs over 2 seasons is much better than 3 over 2 seasons for Givens.
Lol, a "good year" is not an average of 2 years...
Pettis career high in TD? 4
Givens? 3

Yeah, now we're splitting hairs

Makes me rethink giving Pettis the nod on TD, but we'll leave it at that
Pettis best year? 38 catches 399 yards and 4 td
Givens? 42 catches 698 yards and 3 td

On "prodcution" you're not going to say Pettis year was better

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pettis plays in the slot, Givens is a wide out. Of course Pettis is getting more TD opporutnies. Thats apples to oranges. So if we are going with "production" I suppose there are 3 specific catagores, rec/yards/td Pettis has the edge in 1 catagory and Givens overwhelmingly better in the other 2
Givens had 1 good year and 1 lousy 1. Pettis never had a good year. He's a fringe #5 guy
Like Givens or not, you cant just ignore his rookie year
I would hope Givens would have "better" numbers considering the amount of snaps he had in his first two seasons compared to any other WR on the roster. And the fact still remains there are others who have played a fraction of the snaps who have scored more TDs.

Like it or not. Chris Givens just isn't very good. The job was his to keep. And not only didn't he manage to hold on to it. He is a mere afterthought on this team. And has been since OTAs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Here's may take on Givens. I thought he was a a good pick, and a good value where we got him. I thought he might actually be a steal, but...he hasn't progressed. You have to get better every day in this league to keep your job if you are a fringe player, which he is. He talks a good game, and I like the kid, but his routes are still pretty sloppy. He still doesn't seem to like the middle, he inconsistent. Now, he has some talent, and he may develop into a decent, reliable player at some point, but I don't see it happening on this team. If he can find a way to hang around on any team, he may just make it, but he will have to get it. I don't think he gets it, yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would hope Givens would have "better" numbers considering the amount of snaps he had in his first two seasons compared to any other WR on the roster. And the fact still remains there are others who have played a fraction of the snaps who have scored more TDs.

Like it or not. Chris Givens just isn't very good. The job was his to keep. And not only didn't he manage to hold on to it. He is a mere afterthought on this team. And has been since OTAs.

Well its a good thing he wasnt an after thought on Sunday, as his catch saved our rear ends. And apparently the Rams have let him keep his job, while Pettis is on the street.
His best year is far better than Pettis best, he has a higher ceiling.

I'd think by now seeing how long it has taken Brian Quick to "get it" that people wouldnt be so hot and cold with the young guys. Givens way over exceeded expectations year 1 and set the bar ridiculously high. He wont be the last guy to suffer a sophmore slump either

When the game was on the line in the 4th Q he was on the field. Clearly Fisher sees something in him

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Givens made his "season" on FIVE plays. Obviously he was an unknown entity when that happened. Aside from those five plays his overall numbers his his rookie season are quite pedestrian. And those similar results are what we have seen since.

He has one quality to his game. He can run. But that doesn't mean he plays fast. Unless he can match up against straight man coverage, he is easily taken away.

He will fill the role of 5th WR on this team throughout this season. And may be brought back. But that is in no way a "given".

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Truth is, we don't know if it's been season long malcontent, and tardiness, or one instance, or something else. Could have been his turn to sit inactive, and he showed up late to meetings. That would have more impact/intent than just being late to one meeting.

Truth is, we just don't know yet, and we may never know. Fisher doesn't always share what happens behind closed doors.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
That was a well thrown ball completely uncontested. Good pattern good separation, but nowhere near contested.
If Davis doesn't throw an absolute perfect ball it is a very much 'contested' ball. The defender was right there but Davis made sure he put in a spot where only his guy could get to it, I have no faith in AP making that catch. Just my 2 cents.