Austin Pettis waived (confirmed)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
His whole body language changed this year. Seemed odd to me.

He was the leader of the WR's, helped the young guys, got them together for workouts, etc, but Rams draft two receivers. Then, last year, pay cut, signed Kenny Britt, as FA. Britt gets all the credit for making Quick better. Pettis essentially loses his job, as Britt and Quick are the starters, etc.

Chain of events.

Last edited:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If Davis doesn't throw an absolute perfect ball it is a very much 'contested' ball. The defender was right there but Davis made sure he put in a spot where only his guy could get to it, I have no faith in AP making that catch. Just my 2 cents.

If Davis didn't throw a great pass, and it was contested, I doubt Givens would have put up much of a fight to get it. I have no faith in him to do that because in 3 yrs he's never done that. Pettis has at least made clutch tough catches, and that can't be disputed. We all saw him do it. I suspect the only reason Pettis is gone is for reasons off the field and in the locker room. Givens should thank his lucky stars Pettis got in Fisher's doghouse. Barring a miracle turnaround the remainder of this year, Givens would have been a camp casualty next season. No one gives 4th round picks 4 years to develop.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
If Davis didn't throw a great pass, and it was contested, I doubt Givens would have put up much of a fight to get it. I have no faith in him to do that because in 3 yrs he's never done that. Pettis has at least made clutch tough catches, and that can't be disputed. We all saw him do it. I suspect the only reason Pettis is gone is for reasons off the field and in the locker room. Givens should thank his lucky stars Pettis got in Fisher's doghouse. Barring a miracle turnaround the remainder of this year, Givens would have been a camp casualty next season. No one gives 4th round picks 4 years to develop.
Well I haven't seen Givens drop a sure fire catch that costed us an opportunity at the biggest comeback in NFL history. Pettis let Davis down, against a supsect Eagles D and whaddya know, Givens come through vs the legion of boom and we get the W. Givens>Pettis.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well I haven't seen Givens drop a sure fire catch that costed us an opportunity at the biggest comeback in NFL history. Pettis let Davis down, against a supsect Eagles D and whaddya know, Givens come through vs the legion of boom and we get the W. Givens>Pettis.

So two plays over 3 years is just all the evidence needed? I've no doubt Pettis catches that ball Givens caught, and I very seriously doubt Givens catches anything Pettis caught in TB or Philly. Givens wasn't even good enough to dress out until Pettis shot himself in the foot. I can't see how anyone could look objectively at Givens 3 yrs in this league and think, "That's a good WR." I hope he rewards us with a decent season this year, because as of now he's just not very good.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So two plays over 3 years is just all the evidence needed? I've no doubt Pettis catches that ball Givens caught, and I very seriously doubt Givens catches anything Pettis caught in TB or Philly. Givens wasn't even good enough to dress out until Pettis shot himself in the foot. I can't see how anyone could look objectively at Givens 3 yrs in this league and think, "That's a good WR." I hope he rewards us with a decent season this year, because as of now he's just not very good.

Since it was man to man coverage, does Pettis get open in that situation? Serious question - I'm not sure he is as likely to do so.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
It's not that Givens is a great WR at the moment, the fact of the matter is Austin Pettis is nothing but average and will never have a ceiling higher than average. Givens on the other hand has wayyy more potential, and I have a feeling Givens would have caught that wide open 2nd down drop by Pettis it wasn't even a contested ball for crying out loud! The Givens catch against SEA had good coverage on the play, he wasn't wide open like Pettis was against PHI so I don't see how you can say you don't think Givens would make that catch when he caught a pass where he was covered pretty well. And no, I do not think Pettis catches that pass against SEA, let alone get enough separation to be able to make the catch. Pettis is JAG IMO.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Givens will give the Rams a big play every now and then when defenses forget about him but when you need a ten yarder that keeps the teams chances alive in a late game he's not going to be any help. That was the role for Pettis. He's not about big production. He's about making tough catches other guys either can't make or are plain afraid to make.