Any remaining doubters that QB is our biggest draft need?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
QB is definitely a huge need. Whether or not it is worth investing a top 5 pick.... I do not know. It will depend on the prospect(s) available. Do any of the top ranked QBs available e.g. Jared Goff look like they could be future stars? If yes, definitely draft them. Nothing is a sure thing. But if they seem to have a real chance at becoming great you have to roll the dice.

Or, are they only ranked at the top of draft boards because they happen to play the QB position? In that case, you obviously hope the Rams would pass. Every year guys go high just because they play QB better than their peers in that given draft class. And every year it proves to be a mistake. Picking in the top 5 should land you an impact player. Don't reach for QB that doesn't even have 1st round talent.
THIS...Remember Sam Bradford's class where he was the best of the lot? No reaching for a QB, please.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
This OL is an offense killer in the state it's in. Fix that before tossing another highly drafted QB back there or we'll just be sitting here in 3-4 years talking about needing another.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to say that Nick Foles was set up to fail in St Louis..We started with a LT that needed a veteran next to him to get his play right...That veteran is injury prone, and lasted what, a few games? We had a center with a half season of starts in a couple of years...We had a rookie right side at RG and RT, and then both of those guys got injured, one out for the season..Thank God we got Reynolds in FA....But really, no QB does that well if he's running for his life, every play..In that Green Bay loss, he was hit hard in fully HALF of all passes thrown..I think that effed his mind up.....The Oline has to be examined to see who is getting better, and who is just new and not very good...We need a solid Oline for ANY QB we bring in......

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
We will be drafting high enough in the first round where OL, or WR will be available if QB is overpriced so there should be no need to worry about another Defensive player.
Generally I subscribe to BPA theory but the best way to help our team Defense included is to improve our Offense

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Foles is a pro bowl Qb.

He and Matt Cassel can tell their teammates Pro Bowl stories while they sit on the bench. I'm sorry, but I just can't see how anybody thinks Foles is a good QB. Are we watching the same games?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Approaching the draft with that goal is a recipe for a bad draft.

Do I think we need a QB? Yes.
Does our first round pick have to be a QB? No.
Agreed. It needs to be a WR who demands coverage so we can get some offense beyond the LOS. Or a QB who can get the ball to crappy WR's like they do in Carolina.

The Gurley/Tavon line of scrimmage show has run its course, obviously.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I suggested QB as our first pick, I was assuming that we would be picking around #5, maybe even a bit higher.

So a top QB should be sitting there for us.

Of course I don't recommend taking a modestly rated QB. But a top player at QB should definitely be there for the taking. Such opportunities are few and far between.

Does anybody believe that our future playoff winning QB is now on the roster? Me neither.

Seems like a no brainer decision for a team in desperate need of a starting QB.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
if Bradford can hang in there and make sure we get our extra picks then we trade up and double up on a top QB if possible and a top OL. there will have to be give and take to keep the defensive core together while pushing resources to the offense.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I suggested QB as our first pick, I was assuming that we would be picking around #5, maybe even a bit higher.

Of course I don't recommend taking a modestly rated QB. But a top player at QB should definitely be there for the taking. Such opportunities are few and far between.

Does anybody believe that our future playoff winning QB is now on the roster? Me neither.

Ram43....I haven't scoured the draft that much, because it's damn depressing...Yet, the only QB that I have heard anything positive about is Goff, and even he got rocked this year in College in a few games.....I just remember the Black hole of a draft that produced Sam Bradford..Aside from his rookie season (which was mostly dink and dunk passes) he was a bust for what ever reason you want to point to..I am pretty sure that no other QB's from that draft class became good NFL QB's..If it is only Goff, he's going Number 1 in the draft, and the price to go up from #4 or #5 to #1, will be horrendous. bThink the RG3 Trade-Light.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We need a QB for sure but behind the current OL it won't matter. Foles could actually be "OK" if he had time or decent WR's to throw to. And I'm not a Foles fan by any stretch.
Imagine AJ Green on our side.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
if Bradford can hang in there and make sure we get our extra picks then we trade up and double up on a top QB if possible and a top OL. there will have to be give and take to keep the defensive core together while pushing resources to the offense.
I believe the Philly trade is already completed...We get their #2, and they don't get jack else.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One of these three please and I don't think the Rams are winning another game so I believe they will be able to draft one.
images
images
images

Memphis Ram

Legend

My point remains even if they are picking around #5 or a bit higher.

The top rated QB in one draft class might be graded as a 2nd rounder in another draft class. Teams shouldn't reach for need. If the team doesn't believe that QB is the guy, then I'd hope they'd pass no matter how media draftnik rate that player.

jap

Legend
Lot of posters sound pretty desperate for drafting a QB high. I would rather the team look to get a proven veteran who can at least manage the game if one is available before they look for a blue chip rookie. A rookie will have to take hard knocks for a few years before he shows any real championship promise. We have a first rate D right now. How long can we hod onto our core guys while waiting for a young QB to measure up to championship caliber?

Athos

Legend
Lot of posters sound pretty desperate for drafting a QB high. I would rather the team look to get a proven veteran who can at least manage the game if one is available before they look for a blue chip rookie. A rookie will have to take hard knocks for a few years before he shows any real championship promise. We have a first rate D right now. How long can we hod onto our core guys while waiting for a young QB to measure up to championship caliber?

That's how we ended up with Foles. And to lesser extents, Long and Wells. And Cook. And Finnegan. Etc.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and wittle wussell Wilson disagree.

FRO

Legend
We have to start Mannion the rest of the way to see what he has. Maybe he shows promise, then I would be willing to roll with him and a good vet and draft WRs, TE, and linemen. If he sucks then you have 2 guys in the first you can get.

I'll probably get killed for this, but I wouldn't mind getting Bradford back to go along with a rookie. He is injury prone, but at least he is an NFL starting caliber QB.

jap

Legend
That's how we ended up with Foles. And to lesser extents, Long and Wells. And Cook. And Finnegan. Etc.

It's also how we ended up with Barron, Kenny, Ayers, and Garrett Reynolds. You want to declare those failures too?

The point is to try trading for a proven performer first. Going the rookie route will take years for development, and we may lose players who are at or approaching their prime in the interim.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to start Mannion the rest of the way to see what he has. Maybe he shows promise, then I would be willing to roll with him and a good vet and draft WRs, TE, and linemen. If he sucks then you have 2 guys in the first you can get.

I'll probably get killed for this, but I wouldn't mind getting Bradford back to go along with a rookie. He is injury prone, but at least he is an NFL starting caliber QB.

No..just no.
Besides, Foles has to startt another 2-3 games so his total yardage exceeds Bradfords for the year, which will help me with a user name bet on a different site..lol