Any remaining doubters that QB is our biggest draft need?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Lynch and Goff - I'm fixated on those two at this point. Anything else feels like a half measure.

TexasRam

Legend
Foles isn't the problem folks. Mark My Words.

You put any QB especially rookie QB behind the oline and Wr cast and the result is the same.

Shame on those of you looking to draft a QB over impact WR or Olineman.

Easy passes right to WR's that drop the ball for first downs.....it's a broken Record. We had a complete thread dedicated to Cook on this by game 2 and he is still option number 1 on third down dropping passes. But it doesn't end there. Our WR's can rarely get open and when they do they kill drives with drops. Britt, Quick and Cook are garbage. That's Foles options.

How in the Hell is Foles supposed to get in a rhythm when he is behind the worst Oline in Football. Did he make some bad throws? Yes. But when your running game is garbage and you are punting constantly and get behind in the game you take shots and risks.

The Logic of drafting a QB is equivalent to saying we should draft a RB because Gurley is horrible and can no longer Run.

It's the Oline number 1. WR number 2. And it has been since Holt retired.

The Grob pick busted big time. The Britt idea busted big time. Quick - Bust. Saffold re-signing - Bust. Cook -Bust. Havenstein/Brown - Unfortunate injuries.

Foles is caught in the middle of the mess. Just as Bradford was.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Couple of things.

First, if we lose out, we may still only have the 9th pick in the draft. That won't get us any of the top 3 QBs. So there's that. Win even one more game and with tie breakers, we're looking at 10-13, easy.

Second, New Orleans seems to be done with Drew Brees. Apparently, they don't realize that it's a helluva lot easier to fix a D than to find a QB. So, it's actually possible that Drew FREAKING Brees will be available as a FA. Now, with our D and young, stud RB, it's a ready made situation for a veteran QB to step in (like Warner in AZ) and lead the team in an immediate turn around.

I just don't like our shot at getting a 1st round QB and I'd take Brees over any of them in a NY minute, anyway.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
OK, so we draft a top QB,
-who coaches him?
-Whose plays does he run?

Without a new coaching staff, it doesn't matter who we draft.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Couple of things.

First, if we lose out, we may still only have the 9th pick in the draft. That won't get us any of the top 3 QBs. So there's that. Win even one more game and with tie breakers, we're looking at 10-13, easy.

Second, New Orleans seems to be done with Drew Brees. Apparently, they don't realize that it's a helluva lot easier to fix a D than to find a QB. So, it's actually possible that Drew FREAKING Brees will be available as a FA. Now, with our D and young, stud RB, it's a ready made situation for a veteran QB to step in (like Warner in AZ) and lead the team in an immediate turn around.

I just don't like our shot at getting a 1st round QB and I'd take Brees over any of them in a NY minute, anyway.

Brees sounds pretty nice - but he is 36. I'd rather have Lynch/Goff myself - and yes, I hear how crazy that sounds.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd rather have Brees and let Mannion do an Aaron Rodgers and sit and learn behind one of the all time greats.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'd rather have Brees and let Mannion do an Aaron Rodgers and sit and learn behind one of the all time greats.

Now that I could get on board with. Let the saints fire Payton. We hire him. Trade for Brees. Now you got a quarterback who can make defenses pay for committing everything they have to stopping Gurley. Foles and Keenum cannot do that. We won't know if Mannion can cuz Fisher won't give him a shot.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We hire him. Trade for Brees.
You're assuming Kroenke fires Fisher (not bloody likely)
Then you have to convince Payton that he needs to be here after getting offers from several other teams.
THEN you need to convince Brees that he can thrive with this supporting cast.

Hold your breath starting .......................................... now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We need a QB, WR, and C, and not in that precise order. Is the C, already on the team? Maybe, but not in the position he is playing currently. Is the QB on the team? I don't know, but would be readily willing to hedge my bets. QB means soooooooooooo much.

I'd draft, a QB, TE, OL, and CB, in no particular order, unless you identify the best QB. DL, on the DL, Lol, and LB, as always, to try to get better on the 2nd level. We need a Center, but I believe that we may have him on the roster...changes will have to be made.

Last thing, if not the first,.....we need a good OC, with his own philosophy, and game plan/calling of games, a doppelganger, Gregg Williams, if you will.

That is what, I would do.

Debacled

Starter
Foles isn't the problem folks. Mark My Words.

You put any QB especially rookie QB behind the oline and Wr cast and the result is the same.

Shame on those of you looking to draft a QB over impact WR or Olineman.

Easy passes right to WR's that drop the ball for first downs.....it's a broken Record. We had a complete thread dedicated to Cook on this by game 2 and he is still option number 1 on third down dropping passes. But it doesn't end there. Our WR's can rarely get open and when they do they kill drives with drops. Britt, Quick and Cook are garbage. That's Foles options.

How in the Hell is Foles supposed to get in a rhythm when he is behind the worst Oline in Football. Did he make some bad throws? Yes. But when your running game is garbage and you are punting constantly and get behind in the game you take shots and risks.

The Logic of drafting a QB is equivalent to saying we should draft a RB because Gurley is horrible and can no longer Run.

It's the Oline number 1. WR number 2. And it has been since Holt retired.

The Grob pick busted big time. The Britt idea busted big time. Quick - Bust. Saffold re-signing - Bust. Cook -Bust. Havenstein/Brown - Unfortunate injuries.

Foles is caught in the middle of the mess. Just as Bradford was.

I defended Bulger for years, and the shell he was before he shipped out was stellar compared to Foles. It makes me cringe

There are drops, but Foles is FAR from absolved of blame. You aren't watching the games or something. The dude cannot read defenses, refuses to progress through his options, and floats balls all over the field. He got away with it for a little bit at the beginning of the season, but he is simply being disrespected and picked on by defenses and they ALL know there is nothing he can do about it. Superb o-line, game changing playmakers or otherwise.

Hell it was a miracle he had 30 completions today. They played a defense selling out to stop Gurley and he still found a way to throw 3 picks and absolutely refused to lead sustainable drives.

I wouldn't even come close to comparing Bradford. That dude got beat to timbuktu and back and suffered because of it. Had he been able to stay healthy chances are they would have had something special this year and possibly last. The man could read a defense and knew how to progress through reads, and for that matter didn't throw floating softballs downfield. Per usual though he is hurt again, and we have an incapable replacement in the form of Nick Foles running this offense.

I don't think Mannion is the answer, but at this point even as a rookie I feel like he could make a better impact than Foles. And that is due to ther terrible play of Foles rather than me thinking Mannion is great.

Bradmac41

UDFA
Name
Brad
I defended Bulger for years, and the shell he was before he shipped out was stellar compared to Foles. It makes me cringe

There are drops, but Foles is FAR from absolved of blame. You aren't watching the games or something. The dude cannot read defenses, refuses to progress through his options, and floats balls all over the field. He got away with it for a little bit at the beginning of the season, but he is simply being disrespected and picked on by defenses and they ALL know there is nothing he can do about it. Superb o-line, game changing playmakers or otherwise.

Hell it was a miracle he had 30 completions today. They played a defense selling out to stop Gurley and he still found a way to throw 3 picks and absolutely refused to lead sustainable drives.

I wouldn't even come close to comparing Bradford. That dude got beat to timbuktu and back and suffered because of it. Had he been able to stay healthy chances are they would have had something special this year and possibly last. The man could read a defense and knew how to progress through reads, and for that matter didn't throw floating softballs downfield. Per usual though he is hurt again, and we have an incapable replacement in the form of Nick Foles running this offense.

I don't think Mannion is the answer, but at this point even as a rookie I feel like he could make a better impact than Foles. And that is due to ther terrible play of Foles rather than me thinking Mannion is great.
30 completions and barely over 200 yards. That goes beyond pathetic. This may go down as the worst trade this franchise has ever made. Foles is a dud!

Debacled

Starter
30 completions and barely over 200 yards. That goes beyond pathetic. This may go down as the worst trade this franchise has ever made. Foles is a dud!

Wouldn't call it a bad trade, Bradford would most likely out injured by this point in the season. If by some miracle he stayed healthy you are looking at an expensive extension for a player who you have no confidence in being healthy for 16 games ever really.

For what its worth the Rams came out ahead with an extra 2nd round pick this year. Didn't give up much the roll of the dice just isn't panning out. Then again not rolling the dice likely would have had similar results.

Rock and a hard place....or something like that. The team needs a QB and regardless what they would have done about it this past offseason I'm not confident in it being resolved. Many teams out there remain in qb-less purgatory for years. Unique in the fact that it really takes some good luck, good timing, and good positioning in the draft to find a QB being that they really don't ever hit the open market (the good ones anyways) till they are about ready to ride off into the sunset (Brett Favre, Manning, Montana, ect come to mind).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Nah. Trading Bradford was the right call. The wrong call was believing in Foles and not having drafted a QB that would be ready to play this year. We had chances the past 2-3 years.

DenverRam

Starter
Depth is such a huge issue on the Rams.

We need OL, QB, WR, MORE OL, MORE WR, A Pass Rushing OLB. More DB depth. etc. Before they can be considered contenders. Will need maybe 2 years of good drafts or good FA pickups.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depth is such a huge issue on the Rams.

We need OL, QB, WR, MORE OL, MORE WR, A Pass Rushing OLB. More DB depth. etc. Before they can be considered contenders. Will need maybe 2 years of good drafts or good FA pickups.

:LOL:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nah. Trading Bradford was the right call. The wrong call was believing in Foles and not having drafted a QB that would be ready to play this year. We had chances the past 2-3 years.
Why was it the wrong call to believe in Foles? The plan, I imagine, was to have him hand the ball off and build off of play-action where he was actually quite deadly in Philly. In 2013, Philly had the best rushing offense in the league and had the second most play action passes. Obviously a lot of that success was predicated on that pseudo-zone-read where defenses would wonder if Foles would hand off to McCoy or keep the ball to throw deep, or roll out, but there were TONS of big plays in that offense because of the rushing attack and the talents in the receiving game. When Foles was healthy for the last 8 games, they used play-action 39% of the time and Foles averaged 10.2 yards per attempt and threw 12 touchdowns on play-action passes. That's got Jeff Fisher written all over it.

Then they brought in a feisty back-up with the ability to make plays in Keenum and drafted a 3rd round prospect to be their future. Why would they need to draft a guy who could start right away when there really wasn't any kind of urgency? In hindsight it looks bad, but I don't recall anybody (at the time) saying that they needed to do that after they signed Foles and brought Keenum back. Remember, Bradford was only injured 1 time for 6 games before Fisher got here, and Bradford played the whole season for him in Fisher's first year. 2013 was viewed as a fluke injury by them, because Bradford was poised to have a pretty good year in 2014. *Maybe* they could have drafted a QB in 2014 (and did), but they probably really didn't need to draft a QB to start right away until this year. BUT they only would have needed to do that if they didn't make the moves they did in Foles and Keenum.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
Prolly because Kelly's system makes even Mark Sanchez look serviceable. And because Foles really had one year of greatness and one year of mediocrity. One had weapons all over. The other year less so.

And we sign him before he proves anything.

Someone mentioned him only throwing comebacks and nines basically. I can see that now. At some point you gotta make more NFL throws. He can't. Can't use the middle. Can't see for shit. It's all making sense. He needs Kelly's simple system with top notch WRs to succeed. But hell. I don't think that would help. Defenses know his tendencies now. And they aren't good tendencies. And his arm strength is a myth as well. Not much better than Hill.

FRO

Legend
If a QB is the BPA then I agree. But, the way I read your post, it looked like you were saying the Rams had to use a first round pick on a QB (period) because of the need at the position.
If Goff are Lynch are there at 5 and we are picking at 5, I don't see a player in this draft I would pick over them. They may not be BPA either. Yes our best picks in the last 5 drafts were Quinn, Donald, and Gurley, none were pressing needs at the time, but I think Goff and Lynch are close enough talent wise to justify picking them at 5. What you don't do is artificially move up QBs like a Hackenberg just to fill a need like the Vikings and Titans did in 2011.

FRO

Legend
Why was it the wrong call to believe in Foles? The plan, I imagine, was to have him hand the ball off and build off of play-action where he was actually quite deadly in Philly. In 2013, Philly had the best rushing offense in the league and had the second most play action passes. Obviously a lot of that success was predicated on that pseudo-zone-read where defenses would wonder if Foles would hand off to McCoy or keep the ball to throw deep, or roll out, but there were TONS of big plays in that offense because of the rushing attack and the talents in the receiving game. When Foles was healthy for the last 8 games, they used play-action 39% of the time and Foles averaged 10.2 yards per attempt and threw 12 touchdowns on play-action passes. That's got Jeff Fisher written all over it.

Then they brought in a feisty back-up with the ability to make plays in Keenum and drafted a 3rd round prospect to be their future. Why would they need to draft a guy who could start right away when there really wasn't any kind of urgency? In hindsight it looks bad, but I don't recall anybody (at the time) saying that they needed to do that after they signed Foles and brought Keenum back. Remember, Bradford was only injured 1 time for 6 games before Fisher got here, and Bradford played the whole season for him in Fisher's first year. 2013 was viewed as a fluke injury by them, because Bradford was poised to have a pretty good year in 2014. *Maybe* they could have drafted a QB in 2014 (and did), but they probably really didn't need to draft a QB to start right away until this year. BUT they only would have needed to do that if they didn't make the moves they did in Foles and Keenum.
The problem with the plan this year is Foles is playing a completely different system and style of ball. Philadelphia is all about fast pace, no huddle. He it's about eating clock. He was also in shotgun a ton. I really didn't see a QB in the 2015 draft that would have been ready, so I can't fault them there. In the 2014 draft Carr was picked well before we did. Maybe Garappolo would have been a good pick, he hasn't played though so who knows. Your point about drafting is a good one. I wish they would have moved up in 2014 for Murray or McCarron. Who knows if they are any good though.

Another problem, and the main problem in the 2015 offensive plan is the reliance on rookies in the offensive line. We currently are on our third string depth, so I can't fault the coaches now, and in the long run drafting offensive line help is a great thing. My problem is they didn't use their bounty of picks earlier in their tenure to build the line. It has come to bite them this year. What sucks is the injuries. The hope was at this point of the schedule the rookie linemen would have their feet under them and would be starting to gel. Injuries suck, but at least next year our backups will have game experience.