Any remaining doubters that QB is our biggest draft need?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, and wittle wussell Wilson disagree.

The young QB's who get their act together quickly tend to be few and far between---that's why I did not even mention that possibility. They also need to come into a fairly mature program. Right now, the Horns have young 'uns on the OL. They may need a quality OL vet starter to help anchor the line while the youngsters learn before our OL will allow a quality Qb to survive.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
The young QB's who get their act together quickly tend to be few and far between---that's why I did not even mention that possibility. They also need to come into a fairly mature program. Right now, the Horns have young 'uns on the OL. They may need a quality OL vet starter to help anchor the line while the youngsters learn before our OL will allow a quality Qb to survive.
First, I'm not suggesting using a first round pick on a QB, if they do that's fine. We are talking about next year so they may sign a few vets in those spots or bet on Saffold again, no way to know.

jap

Legend
First, I'm not suggesting using a first round pick on a QB, if they do that's fine. We are talking about next year so they may sign a few vets in those spots or bet on Saffold again, no way to know.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you in particular was saying get a blue chipper. I was really referring to the general clamor for a rookie QB savior.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that you in particular was saying get a blue chipper. I was really referring to the general clamor for a rookie QB savior.
I don't know that anyone is looking for a "rookie savior" just a competent game manager type that may grow into being a difference maker similar to the few examples I listed. Mannion may well be that player so the focus of next draft could be OL or WR or BPA.

jap

Legend
I don't know that anyone is looking for a "rookie savior" just a competent game manager type that may grow into being a difference maker similar to the few examples I listed. Mannion may well be that player so the focus of next draft could be OL or WR or BPA.

"Rookie savior" is hyperbole from me. I just do not think it is reasonable to expect a rookie to run an NFL offense efficiently in his first season. They can do both like last draft and trade for a vet while drafting a rookie QB. Whatever they do they have to place high priorities on defensive recognition, accuracy, NFL-level arm strength, touch, good footwork, rapid progression reads, etc.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The young QB's who get their act together quickly tend to be few and far between
with the advent of year round 7-on-7 passing league football, the younger QB has a better opportunity to succeed right away...Carr, Bortles, Winston, Murriota, Luck, Tannehill, and Wilson are not flukes...I see a trend..

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
"Rookie savior" is hyperbole from me. I just do not think it is reasonable to expect a rookie to run an NFL offense efficiently in his first season. They can do both like last draft and trade for a vet while drafting a rookie QB. Whatever they do they have to place high priorities on defensive recognition, accuracy, NFL-level arm strength, touch, good footwork, rapid progression reads, etc.
The Rams QB's weren't supposed to do much this year. After four injuries to the OL the plan blew up. Again, we are talking about next year, we have no way to know what the draft priority will be. As to your list of QB attributes looks like we will need the first pick:fighting:

jap

Legend
The Rams QB's weren't supposed to do much this year. After four injuries to the OL the plan blew up. Again, we are talking about next year, we have no way to know what the draft priority will be. As to your list of QB attributes looks like we will need the first pick:fighting:

Not necessarily. There are quite a number of successful QB's who were not even first rounders. We really need a game manager at least . . . someone who can keep defenses honest when he's not handing off to TGII or Tavon.

jap

Legend
with the advent of year round 7-on-7 passing league football, the younger QB has a better opportunity to succeed right away...Carr, Bortles, Winston, Murriota, Luck, Tannehill, and Wilson are not flukes...I see a trend..

It would be sweet if we can score with such a QB. Nevertheless, the OL has to shored up, probably with at least one more seasoned veteran starter. A back like Gurley deserves a Battering Ram Ol for maximum effectiveness. Any signal caller we collect deserves a chance to succeed.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
Not necessarily. There are quite a number of successful QB's who were not even first rounders. We really need a game manager at least . . . someone who can keep defenses honest when he's not handing off to TGII or Tavon.
Yeah, but based on your list he is going to be highly valued. Arm strength, accuracy, touch, brains, good feet and a quick read in the pocket. I hope like hell Snead can find that guy.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My point remains even if they are picking around #5 or a bit higher.

The top rated QB in one draft class might be graded as a 2nd rounder in another draft class. Teams shouldn't reach for need. If the team doesn't believe that QB is the guy, then I'd hope they'd pass no matter how media draftnik rate that player.

I guess I'm not making myself clear, Memphis.

At #5 overall, a QB may very well be BPA for us.

What ratings might be in other drafts in other years are not relevant.

It comes down to whom is our best value at our pick.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

Not all above are alike

Winston, Luck and Wilson all came from Pro Style offenses. Tannehill too, I believe.

Carr, Bortles and Mariota from Spreads.

Makes a big difference to play from under center. Foles may be suffering from that, since he played in Spread in college and in Kelly's Spread.

Memphis Ram

Legend

If a QB is the BPA then I agree. But, the way I read your post, it looked like you were saying the Rams had to use a first round pick on a QB (period) because of the need at the position.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would hate to give up all of the blood and treasure it would cost to move up for a QB. What if the answer is already on the roster? Mannion is a player IMO. The only thing he doesn't have is a cannon for an arm. Next to Foles though, he looks like Elway! He is a smart kid, a coach's kid, who understands the offense and would do anything to get better.
i agree. maybe you could reanimate bob waterfield for us. (y) there is no QB coming out worth trading picks for. jared cook, maybe. just because a QB is needed doesnt mean that what is available is worth a first round pick. cookie, goofie, hoooogggaaannnn. let keenum and mannion fight it out the rest of the season, at least there will be a real chance to evaluate what little qb talent there is in ramland.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If the Rams sit at 5 that will probably be the spot you trade above to get the QB you want because everyone is gonna know the Rams need one.

Right now there are 3 that I think go first round... Goff, Lynch, and Cook. Comparing what I see from these guys against most other years I gotta say this is a really nice few at the top and at least two of them will go very high and probably all 3 go top 10 simply due to positional need. There just aren't enough of them to go around, so IMO the Rams will move up regardless of whether they draft at 5 or 10 overall.

I realize it's very early. But the next tier isn't pretty. Not a fan of Hackenburg for example. If I'm Snead I want one of those three unless I plan on runnin the wildcat with Jones or Prescott which is a whole other paranoia of mine right now...

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Guys, guys, take a step back and look at the reality of this situation. Yes we do need a qb, we also need OL help and a wr. Do you honestly want to go into next season with a rookie qb? Idc if our line was all world, would you? Granted I don't watch college ball but since I don't I have a good point here... I haven't heard of any qb being really good except for a guy at ucla but I think he is a freshman. I had heard of luck, rg3, carr, bridgewater, winston, Gallapporo, Newton, and marriotta well before they were even draft eligible. Hell even bradford. Idk but is there a qb in this draft that is elite? Not just a guy that's just better than the other qbs? But elite? I'm betting on no because by me not being a college guy I would atleast have heard a name sometime somewhere or one of my college buddies woulda told me something... it's

We need major line and wr help. Keep foles, go get rg3, and let them and Mannion (who was a 3rd Rd pick btw which could be the answer) duke it out for the #1 spot. I would suspect rg3 wins but gets hurt and Mannion would take over in that scenario. Mannion has a live arm, it's a major difference than and any other qb we have had in the past... well ever...

I sure as hell would not want to see a rookie starting unless he was Luck esq. OL,WR,TE is what we need in that order. Yes we do need a qb but we don't have to reach because we need other positions for a qb to succeed and Mannion could be our guy if groomed right

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Our first, both seconds, and - if need be - next years first. Go get us a QB. No re-treds, no journeymen, no bringing in 3-4 mid range guys to compete. Go get the guy and lets spin this wheel one more time.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Paxton Lynch (Memphis) Goff (California) Cook (Michigan State) / Hackenburg (Penn State) / Hogan (Stanford) . Its already honed down pretty much unless Snead can find another Brady in the 6th round who ran as slow as OL. Maybe a Wilson who No One has even noticed yet capable of playing Pro Ball. That is who Snead will (Most likely) pour over and find us our next QB. I'd personally take either QB from this last year over these choices. They ALL need major work. I think the head coach fired by the Titans was great for Marriota's early instruction and a shame he was not the OC instead as he took Warner and the Cards to an almost Win over the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

We do not have the right quarterback whisperer on our staff yet as we all can see by now. If you brought in Stanfords Head Coach I'd bring in Hogan too. This guy coached up Luck also . Some just know what they are doing. This is not the greatest crop of TOP QB's of course IMPO which is nothing. Each has some good points and need the bad coached away. DUH! Maybe we can continue to work Mannion up as our backup . Lets let our new QB minded OC have a time with him first.

Adding the major NEED at Wide Reciever does not make it any easier. I'm too old for this. I'm retired I watch TOO Much College football. This is basically it for known Elite QB's. No secrets out there. Some possible Great Projects Though.