3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I may be the only one who both likes and expected this pick. I watched him play with I think ONE nfl caliber offensive player in practically his entire career.

He played under Riley in a pro set under talented offense and was pretty good.

Sorry @jrry32 but I guess well see on this one.

I gotta hand it to you and the other poster that I discussed it with...I'm not remembering who it was. But I was pretty adamant that Mannion wouldn't go Day 2. You guys were right. He did. Just wish it wasn't to us.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I may be the only one who both likes and expected this pick. I watched him play with I think ONE nfl caliber offensive player in practically his entire career.

Wheaton and Cooks are definitely NFL caliber offensive players. The big question is if Mannion is.

T-Hawks

UDFA
He got hit every play because Stanford blitzed the crap out of him and he wasn't making quick enough decisions. And when the ball was getting out on time, aside from a few throws, the passes were not properly placed. His footwork was also a disaster in that game and it put his slow release on display.

I've seen QBs have bad games from hits and pressures. I can accept that. It gets in your head after a certain amount of hits. I can accept bad statistical games from it. But when I see a guy play that badly, it really effects my opinion of him. He just had no answer for it. And considering he's in a pro style offense, you'd think it would be his job to call the protections and make sure his guys were ready to pick up the blitz. Yet Oregon State had no idea what to do.

I saw games of other QBs in this class where they got hit a lot and had bad games statistically. What made me like the guys that I like in this class is that they continued to fight, they didn't let their mechanics fall apart, they continued to stand tall, and they made accurate passes for the most part. It will affect you to a degree but they still fought to overcome it. And they did their damnedest to adjust. Mannion didn't.

And that's my problem with him. For a guy with such a high football IQ, I don't feel like he applies on the field the way he should. He doesn't process things quickly or move through his progressions as fast as I'd expect him to. And when he gets pressured and forced off his spot, he struggles. He doesn't handle pressure well. It has a MAJOR effect on his accuracy. He's a spot thrower. And that's a problem in this league. Because teams are going to see that and they're going to do their best not to let you stand on your spot and throw. That's what Stanford's game-plan was. Blitz the hell out of the guy and force him to move around and beat them with quick decisions and accurate throws. He failed.

Stanford runs what I'd call a pro style defense. They have a 3-4 with a lot of exotic looks and they disguise their coverage well. They're a well disciplined team.
I do not see any quaterback in this draft responding to that pressure. The receivers got no seperation what so ever from what I saw.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not see any quaterback in this draft responding to that pressure. The receivers got no seperation what so ever from what I saw.

I've seen Winston and Grayson both handle it. I've also seen them neutralize pressure by adjusting how they attacked the defense.

Do you think it's going to get easier for him in the NFL?

The guy hasn't even gotten to the NFL yet and he's already got people blaming the receivers and the OL. I'm sorry, man. I hate being the guy shitting on the pick right after the draft. I'll give the guy a chance because he's a Ram. But I'm not happy with this pick. I've been watching him since 2012 and he's never struck me as a starting QB at the NFL level.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
How many draft picks are going to come from those four years? I agree.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've seen Winston and Grayson both handle it. I've also seen them neutralize pressure by adjusting how they attacked the defense.

Do you think it's going to get easier for him in the NFL?

The guy hasn't even gotten to the NFL yet and he's already got people blaming the receivers and the OL. I'm sorry, man. I hate being the guy crapping on the pick right after the draft. I'll give the guy a chance because he's a Ram. But I'm not happy with this pick. I've been watching him since 2012 and he's never struck me as a starting QB at the NFL level.
Sorry jrry but greyson played against pretry crappy talent. Mannion did not and Winston went 1st overall so......

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Big frowny face from me after first 3 rounds. I've not liked one single pick, hasn't happened since the Martz era for me. Trying to stay positive here.

Athos

Legend
This is a dude with 85ish turnovers in 4 years.

Get out of here!

Tell me a college QB with that many TOs that has done squat in the NFL. This draft is the WORST case of "I'm smarter than you all are," that I've ever seen in my life. Total awfulness.

I'd have rather had Hundley and Hundley's instincts leave much to be desired.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry jrry but greyson played against pretry crappy talent. Mannion did not and Winston went 1st overall so......

So did 8 starting NFL QBs last year. That means literally nothing. Kurt Warner played at Northern Iowa. You don't have to be in a Power 5 conference to be a great player.

Brett Hundley played in the same conference behind a bad OL with same level of receiving talent yet he managed to produce. Why couldn't Mannion?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You probably don't want to watch this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmtOCeBU6E[/QUOTE]

Inexperienced receivers, no time to throw and no running game. I will hold judgement on this pick. It was not my favorite but maybe Snead and Fisher know something I don't.

Fisher likes smart QBs that he can teach to overprotect the football. I am surprised that the turnovers didn't bother Fisher.

I would rather have had Garapolo last year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Get out of here!

Tell me a college QB with that many TOs that has done squat in the NFL. This draft is the WORST case of "I'm smarter than you all are," that I've ever seen in my life. Total awfulness.

I don't know if Hundleys' problem was Hundley or Mora.
Both are a big if. Neither one will be ready to play this year.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Mannion? Seriously? You have 5 or 6 better QBs on the board and you take the guy with the worst mechanics and footwork that you can possibly have... He will never translate to the NFL level player we need.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

Get out of here!

Well apparently 32 other teams could use a look at your notes.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Yeah but...just because you reside in Oregon and actually followed this guys career (as opposed to parroting opinions and watching 15 minutes or so of... film?) doesn't extenuate your apparent support...ahem, I'm just going to have to write your opinion off

Sorry my friend

(of course this coming from a guy proclaiming Bret Hundley as a Day 1 pick, so...)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but...just because you reside in Oregon and actually followed this guys career (as opposed to parroting opinions and watching 15 minutes or so of... film?) doesn't extenuate your apparent support...ahem, I'm just going to have to write your opinion off

Sorry my friend

(of course this coming from a guy proclaiming Bret Hundley as a Day 1 pick, so...)

You don't have to reside in Oregon to watch a guy play. The great thing about television and the internet is that you can watch a guy anywhere. Markus Wheaton and Brandin Cooks were two of my favorite players so I tuned in and watched a number of games they played in. That involved watching Mannion. I've seen a lot of games from him dating back to 2012. This year was probably the year where I saw the least of him.(four games)

Don't make assumptions just because you don't agree with people's opinions. If I haven't seen a guy play (or seen enough of him), I'll tell you that. Like I did in the Jamon Brown thread. If I'm going to put my neck out there on an evaluation, you better bet I've done my homework.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I won't be jumping to any conclusions. Til then, whether Mannion makes the cut and plays in the 2015 season or not. I will judge then. I'm not going to go off "opinions" of others. I rather see it for myself. Stay Tuned.