3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What is wrong with Fisher and Snead? Did their server go down? All they had to do was browse this forum if they couldn't decide who to pick. :rolleyes:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
If the Rams had drafted an OL in the first round I would be much happier with this draft so far.
But, If Gurley fully recovers from his injury and plays like they say, and if the two OL they drafted can start and play well, and if the new QB plays well in preseason, and if the Rams draft another OL, and if Jones can start at C and play well, and if the new OC can develop and call good plays throughout the game and use Tavon correctly, Then I will happy with everything so far. Right now..... not too happy. Let's see how the first game goes.
If ifs and buts were raisins and nuts we could all go sailing.

…..

Legend
Part of the fun in recent years has been to read the post draft analysis and ranking how the teams did in thier respective drafts. We have been the talk of the town the last few years.

Unfortunately, I dont expect alot of good grades this year.

We'll just have to see how these picks turn out. The majority of analysis I've read on Mannion is not very good, but hey he got a 40 on the wonderfknlich

From NBC Sports

Mannion (6'6/229) was a 43-game starter for Mike Riley's Beavers, wrapping his career with an 83:54 TD-to-INT ratio and 64.6 completion rate. He set 18 school passing records. A turnover machine in college, Mannion's high interception totals are an obvious concern, and he fumbled 30 times in four seasons. Mannion has experience making full-field reads in Riley's pro-style-ish offense, but his arm talent is below starter quality and his performance dipped sharply under pressure. Bright (40 Wonderlic) and the son of a coach, Mannion best projects as a long-term clipboard holder who would likely struggle in extended playing time.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
C'mon. You doom and gloom squad kids are killing my vibe tonight. Wasn't feeling Gurley last night at all, but after giving it a day, and seeing how it works with today as well, I love it all!

This line is built to chew people up and spit them out. There's 1,000 lbs of hurt between GRob, Havenstein and Brown, throwing bodies out of the way for Mason and Gurley.

Mannion is a Foles clone, and plenty of you were willing to welcome Nick with open arms. What gives? So we didn't draft some try hard workout warrior from Colorado State?! Thank God. Mannion has much more going physically and mentally, and with a year to sit back and learn, he can blossom into a solid starter.

I don't want to be too salty towards some of you wonderful gents that spent a lot of hard work and time studying these prospects and giving us your reviews and thoughts, but lighten the hell up. A solid prospect with a free pick at a position of need...this equates to a home run.

fancents86

Starter
Honestly this whole draft is a big question mark.

Will Gurley make a full recovery?

Are all these o linemen actually going to payoff? Snisher and company haven't had the best of luck putting together a decent o line compared to all other areas.

Mannion?

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 NFL Draft: Rams get A for picking QB Sean Mannion at No. 89
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

May 1, 2015 11:16 pm ET
img24143912.jpg

Sean Mannion is headed to St. Louis. (Getty Images)
With the 89th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams select Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion.

CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco really likes the pick: Mannnion -- A This is nice value here at this point. I think he's the third-best quarterback in this draft and gives them a young passer behind Nick Foles.

Sean Mannion is an A selection for me. I think he's the third-best QB in this draft. Good job, #Rams. http://t.co/JH9dWaxEnl

— Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) May 2, 2015
If there was a dark horse candidate in this year's quarterback draft class, it was Mannion. The Pac-12's all-time leading passer wound up hearing his name called before Bryce Petty and Brett Hundley. Mannion draws physical comparisons to Tampa Bay's Mike Glennon, and he'll serve as Nick Foles' backup in St. Louis, which brings the Napoleon Dynamitecomparisons full circle.

Then there's this comparison:

Mort on Sean Mannion: "Some people have called him a poor man's Peyton Manning."

— Evan Silva (@evansilva) May 2, 2015
Not surprisingly, opinions differed on just what type of NFL player Mannion will be:

The differing opinions on Sean Mannion in my feed are all over.pic.twitter.com/3xyEwhvYtR

— wild-_-bill (@Wild_Bill_STL) May 2, 2015
More on Mannion from NFLDraftScout.com's Rob Rang and Dane Brugler: "Mannion has an attractive resume as a four-year starter with impressive production in a pro-style offense. He has adequate arm strength and accuracy, but isn't above average in either category as the ball doesn't shoot off his hand. Mannion is too methodical with his movements and tends to deteriorate when the pocket crumbles, struggling with his pocket awareness, internal clock and improvising skills, which is a recipe for disaster in the NFL. He is a high character human being with exceptional make-up and intangibles - teams will never have to worry about him off the field or not putting in enough work."

In addition to Foles, Mannion joins a depth chart that includes Austin Davis and Case Keenum. Foles and Davis will enter the final year of their deals in 2015.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...t-no-89?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

…..

Legend
Despite the high turnovers and happy feet, several guru's have Mannion rated top 5

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I like it. You gotta take a shot sometimes if you are going to find it.

But I know he isn't popular here -
I put him in a mox draft and it went over about as well as nabbing Jonny Manziel.

Cerebral works for me - that can be enough.

…..

Legend
I don't want to be too salty towards some of you wonderful gents that spent a lot of hard work and time studying these prospects and giving us your reviews and thoughts, but lighten the hell up. A solid prospect with a free pick at a position of need...this equates to a home run.

meh....be salty! I like it :)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm surprised! I figured that they would go defense by now. I guess they really liked Mannion.
I didn't know the Rams had even looked at him.
His strengths sound good and his weaknesses sound Bad. I'm disappointed in this pick!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
interesting draft, I have been way off player wise. As far as Mannion th QB position is starting to feel a little like the last couple years at RB, sniff out a mid rounder and see what you get (Stacy 5th =Gilbert 6th) then invest a little more as we creep up to top talent (Mason 3rd=Mannion 3rd) now Gurley = ?. Anyway just a thought, the trying to steal a gem thing is risky as those upper mid to mid round picks go a long way in providing talent at less coveted and more readily available positions that have been deep the past couple years. I am certainly not hating but hoping it works out in our favor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He got hit every play. His line played like crap and his receivers were getting no separation. He is one of the most pro ready quaterbacks in the draft.

He got hit every play because Stanford blitzed the crap out of him and he wasn't making quick enough decisions. And when the ball was getting out on time, aside from a few throws, the passes were not properly placed. His footwork was also a disaster in that game and it put his slow release on display.

I've seen QBs have bad games from hits and pressures. I can accept that. It gets in your head after a certain amount of hits. I can accept bad statistical games from it. But when I see a guy play that badly, it really effects my opinion of him. He just had no answer for it. And considering he's in a pro style offense, you'd think it would be his job to call the protections and make sure his guys were ready to pick up the blitz. Yet Oregon State had no idea what to do.

I saw games of other QBs in this class where they got hit a lot and had bad games statistically. What made me like the guys that I like in this class is that they continued to fight, they didn't let their mechanics fall apart, they continued to stand tall, and they made accurate passes for the most part. It will affect you to a degree but they still fought to overcome it. And they did their damnedest to adjust. Mannion didn't.

And that's my problem with him. For a guy with such a high football IQ, I don't feel like he applies on the field the way he should. He doesn't process things quickly or move through his progressions as fast as I'd expect him to. And when he gets pressured and forced off his spot, he struggles. He doesn't handle pressure well. It has a MAJOR effect on his accuracy. He's a spot thrower. And that's a problem in this league. Because teams are going to see that and they're going to do their best not to let you stand on your spot and throw. That's what Stanford's game-plan was. Blitz the hell out of the guy and force him to move around and beat them with quick decisions and accurate throws. He failed.

Stanford runs what I'd call a pro style defense. They have a 3-4 with a lot of exotic looks and they disguise their coverage well. They're a well disciplined team.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
He got hit every play because Stanford blitzed the crap out of him and he wasn't making quick enough decisions. And when the ball was getting out on time, aside from a few throws, the passes were not properly placed. His footwork was also a disaster in that game and it put his slow release on display.

I've seen QBs have bad games from hits and pressures. I can accept that. It gets in your head after a certain amount of hits. I can accept bad statistical games from it. But when I see a guy play that badly, it really effects my opinion of him. He just had no answer for it. And considering he's in a pro style offense, you'd think it would be his job to call the protections and make sure his guys were ready to pick up the blitz. Yet Oregon State had no idea what to do.

I saw games of other QBs in this class where they got hit a lot and had bad games statistically. What made me like the guys that I like in this class is that they continued to fight, they didn't let their mechanics fall apart, they continued to stand tall, and they made accurate passes for the most part. It will affect you to a degree but they still fought to overcome it. And they did their damnedest to adjust. Mannion didn't.

And that's my problem with him. For a guy with such a high football IQ, I don't feel like he applies on the field the way he should. He doesn't process things quickly or move through his progressions as fast as I'd expect him to. And when he gets pressured and forced off his spot, he struggles. He doesn't handle pressure well. It has a MAJOR effect on his accuracy. He's a spot thrower. And that's a problem in this league. Because teams are going to see that and they're going to do their best not to let you stand on your spot and throw. That's what Stanford's game-plan was. Blitz the hell out of the guy and force him to move around and beat them with quick decisions and accurate throws. He failed.

Stanford runs what I'd call a pro style defense. They have a 3-4 with a lot of exotic looks and they disguise their coverage well. They're a well disciplined team.
Great analysis.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I may be the only one who both likes and expected this pick. I watched him play with I think ONE nfl caliber offensive player in practically his entire career.

He played under Riley in a pro set under talented offense and was pretty good.

Sorry @jrry32 but I guess well see on this one.