3rd Round | Pick 89, Rams select: QB Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm surprised! I figured that they would go defense by now. I guess they really liked Mannion.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Worst pick yet. Just put me on suicide watch already.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's a Cignetti pick - somebody who can pick up the system, and who doesn't have to totally relearn everything. Don't think he'll ever be a big star, but could be a game manager later on for the Rams.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/sean-mannion?id=2552576

QB/SEAN MANNION
OREGON ST. PAC-12

6' 6" 230 lbs

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Four-year starter who owns 18 passing records at Oregon State. Tall quarterback who sees over the offensive line. Throws with high release point. Plays with desired footwork. Can sit down and shift weight properly to drive the intermediate throws. Played in pro-style offense and is comfortable with 3-, 5- and 7-step drops from under center. When protected, shows confidence to stand and deliver with accuracy to all areas of the field. Trusted by head coach Mike Riley to make pre-snap reads and audible. Played in multiple-read offense and shows patience in allowing routes to develop. Good feel for pro-style play-action passing attack and can throw with above-average accuracy and ball placement.

WEAKNESSES
Tempo of his play is a concern. Slow in takeaway from center and set-up and slow getting through progressions. Carries ball low in the pocket, allowing defenders to swipe at it. Finished career with 30 fumbles and 54 interceptions. Poise and mobility in pocket are below average. Not considered a play-extender outside of pocket. Drops eyes and misses throwing windows when he senses pressure around him. Decision making greatly influenced by level of pressure around him. Fails to throw with adequate zip when feet aren't under him and he doesn't step strongly into throw. Takes too long to get rid of throws on out routes.

DRAFT PROJECTION
Round 5 or 6

SOURCES TELL US
"His stats and tape weren't as good this year as last year, but he flashes NFL potential in every game you watch. I thought he did the same thing at the Senior Bowl practices." -- NFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON
Matt Schaub

BOTTOM LINE
Tall, rhythm thrower who shows an ability to play with confidence and accuracy when used as a game manager within an offense featuring a strong rushing attack. Mannion needs plays to stay on schedule or his confidence becomes shaky and the turnovers start rolling in. Mannion lacks arm talent to carry an offense, but has enough ability to become a capable backup.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I need to watch Jamon Brown but today has just been a terrible day. IMO, I'd give us a D for what we've done today. Squandered the trade down with a terrible pick.

I'm sorry. I hate being negative but Mannion. MANNION?!?!?!?! Just stop. Start the day over. Reset everything. I cannot accept that pick. You could have had Grayson. You come away with freaking Mannion. He's a poor man's Mike Glennon. Puppy tits. Cat poop. Bird butt. I'm doing everything I can to not go on a tirade.

I give up.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't like Mannion, either.

(1) Foles gets hurt. Mannion to replace him? No.

(2) Foles has a poor season. Mannion his successor? No.

Feels like a forced pick, big time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a fun stat...Mannion played 9 games against the Pac-12 this year and threw 10 TDs to 6 Ints in those games. 10 TDs in 9 conference games.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't like Mannion, either.

(1) Foles gets hurt. Mannion to replace him? No.

(2) Foles has a poor season. Mannion his successor? No.

Feels like a forced pick, big time.
Might seem like it, but it wasn't. We could have had anybody we wanted at those spots.

Athos

Legend
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sorry.

This draft has been killed for me after the Gurley pick. No. Just no.

Cory

UDFA
He fits our offense. His numbers in conference are not all that good, but neither was his o-line or WR's.

Slappy967

Starter
Not sure about Mannion but apparently Rams were wowed by his pro day workout. Outside of that I like both O line picks and Gurley. Looking forward to day 3 and just remember even if you hate it, its not 2006 draft class bad

RamzFanz

Damnit
Under whelmed with this. It's a throw away pick.

I have no opinion on the rest other than I'm happy with Gurley and that the drafted road graters. We'll see if they reached or knew exactly what they needed.