2014 Free Agents that interest you.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
The discussion is about "hands" and you're now bringing in the other factors that make Megatron, Megatron IMO. Jrry already said he'd take CJ if offered.

Just sayin.

I don't know whether Decker has good hands or not but I'm totally against paying the kind of money he'd want. I'm of the opinion that we have our own guys like Saffold to sign.
No, I'm just talking about "hands". Because you can't just look at the drop rate when discussing how good each of their hands are. The catches and circumstances that CJ makes his catches impact his overall drop rate. Decker may be in the same ballpark when just looking at the drop rate but he benefits greatly from single coverage and mismatches.

You seem to be suggesting that each of them catch the ball relatively equally as if they were just standing in front of a jugs machine.

Alan

Legend
moklerman possibly needing a quick refresher of what he wrote:
No, I'm just talking about "hands". Because you can't just look at the drop rate when discussing how good each of their hands are. The catches and circumstances that CJ makes his catches impact his overall drop rate. Decker may be in the same ballpark when just looking at the drop rate but he benefits greatly from single coverage and mismatches.

You seem to be suggesting that each of them catch the ball relatively equally as if they were just standing in front of a jugs machine.

So here's what you wrote:
C'mon now, you're not looking at the big picture here. The drop rate may be "similar" but think about what Calvin does and has to deal with in terms of coverage and then think about what Decker does in Denver. Would you even put them in the same conversation?

If Decker was being double and triple teamed and the Broncos were still throwing to him and he was still leading the league in receiving stats, sure I'd say the Rams should consider him. But let's be honest. There's just as much of a chance that Decker becomes the next Drew Bennett if he's asked to come to St. Louis and be WR#1. It would be a terrible signing for the Rams IMO. And I like what Decker offers for the Broncos. But I don't think there's any potential for him to be what the Rams need him to be.

You start out by talking about the "big picture" which, to me, immediately suggests you're about to veer off the limited subject of how good their "hands" are. This is borne out by your following comments.

Your very next sentence talks about who has to deal with the toughest coverage. What does that have to do with hands?

The first sentence of your second paragraph again talks about the coverages that CJ has to deal with. Again, nothing to do with how good his hands are and in fact you're saying the same thing as Jrry is about the relative worth of CJ vs Decker.

Maybe I'm just misreading you but I didn't see a single thing you said about his "hands" or his drop rate. You merely acknowledge that the drop rate is similar.

When the drop rate for a player is calculated, the many variables of each incompletion are taken into consideration. Things like the accuracy of the throw and the difficulty of the potential catch are all accounted for. You might not agree with their methodology but they use the same methods for all the WRs. As both you and jrry are saying, a player's drop rate tells only part of the story.

We actually are in total agreement about Decker and CJ. I was merely pointing out that your reply to LosAngelesRams post didn't actually have any refutation of what he said in it. We both disagree with LosAngelesRams but I disagree with him because while their drop rates are similar and CJ is the best WR in the league that doesn't automatically mean that Decker's hands must be good. It actually says nothing at all about the "quality" of Decker's hands.

So while I agree with your disagreement with what LosAngelesRams said, I disagree for different reasons.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
His hands are not great imo. And Calvin Johnson doesn't have the best hands. He's prone to drops. What he does have is freakish athleticism and the ability to make some ridiculous catches. But when I think of the best hands in the NFL...that would be, for me, Larry Fitzgerald.

Decker? Nah. His hands are in the average-decent range.

And I'm not really sure how one can argue that he's top 10 worst in the NFL in drops and then say his hands are great because Calvin Johnson is almost as bad when it comes to dropping passes. I'm sorry, LA, I don't really get the logic there.

But yea, regardless, I'm not a Decker fan. Just don't see a special WR and if I'm dishing out big time FA money, I want a guy that I think can be a top 5 WR. If it were Dez Bryant or DeMaryius Thomas or AJ Green, sign me up. But Eric Decker? I'm just not interested.

Anquan Boldin is the only FA WR I'd consider and that's because he'd offer a veteran presence, reliable hands and he'd come relatively cheap without a long term deal.

I'm not talking about anything but CJ's hands and Deckers hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And I'm saying right now that they don't compare. The reason why people laud CJ's hands is because of the ridiculous catches he makes in traffic and on jump balls. The guy drops passes he should catch but they're willing to overlook it for that reason. Decker doesn't offer that type of ability.

So arguing...yea, Decker's one of the worst in the NFL among WRs this year when it comes to drops...but he's not much worse than Calvin doesn't make sense to me if you're trying to argue that he does have good or great hands.

Alan

Legend
LosAngelesRams clarifying:

Yep, that's how I took it.

I still disagree with your assertion that just because their drop rates are similar it means Deckers hands are "good". I actually have no opinion about the quality of their hands. I assume that both have pretty good hands but I'm only basing that on the fact that when you look at their stats (especially their targets), it's very apparent that their QBs have complete trust in them. So you're probably correct that Decker has good hands too. I just didn't like your stated reasoning. :wink:

EDIT: I just read jrry's post and he could be right too. Personally, I'd have to see them playing on a regular basis to really come to any conclusion about how good their hands are.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, that's how I took it.

I still disagree with your assertion that just because their drop rates are similar it means Deckers hands are "good". I actually have no opinion about the quality of their hands. I assume that both have pretty good hands but I'm only basing that on the fact that when you look at their stats (especially their targets), it's very apparent that their QBs have complete trust in them. So you're probably correct that Decker has good hands too. I just didn't like your stated reasoning. :wink:

EDIT: I just read jrry's post and he could be right too. Personally, I'd have to see them playing on a regular basis to really come to any conclusion about how good their hands are.

I'm a huge Peyton Manning fan so I try to watch all the Denver games. He's been better of late but aside from the Oakland game, he was not good over the first 5 or so games of this year. He's a bit of an inconsistent player and I know he frustrates the heck out of a lot of Denver fans.

I'm not saying the kid isn't good but he's got it made right now with Manning. IMO, he's not a #1 WR. He's a #2 WR that's best served playing with a great QB.

I just don't feel comfortable with the Rams signing the guy. With him putting up 1000+ yards and 13 TDs last year then well on his way to a 1100+ yard 10 TD season this year, I think he's going to be looking for 10+ million a year. And I don't think he's worth it. The only guys I feel comfortable spending money like that on are guys that I see as definitive top 10 WRs. Vincent Jackson is an example of it. I would have spent that on him a couple years ago. But he's the only recent one. I really liked Mike Wallace but I still wouldn't have gone 10 million a year for him(much less the 13 million Miami gave him)...I think I capped him at around 5 years 45 million(9 mil a year).

If Hakeem Nicks actually could stay healthy and was playing like he was a couple years ago, I'd spend it on him...but he's not and can't so I wouldn't.

Like I've said, the only FA WR that looks appealing to me is Anquan Boldin. Why? Because he has amazingly reliable hands, is a fiery/competitive player and he could be a veteran leader for this young WR corp which they sorely need. Plus, he'd likely be looking for a deal worth around 10 to 12 million over 2 years(5 to 6 million a year). That's doable in my book.

Alan

Legend
I don't want to sign Boldin at the expense of keeping Saffold, Barksdale (re-sign him early), Dunbar and possibly some others. Boldin is also an ancient mariner and like other former greats, he can lose his edge at any time. With the Rams luck it would probably happen as soon as we signed him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Hakeem Nicks is an interesting possibility; will be 26 next season. 5 years experience. A nice blend.

That said; I'd prefer dollars on the oline and defensive backfield. We are better at WR than those two units.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't want to sign Boldin at the expense of keeping Saffold, Barksdale (re-sign him early), Dunbar and possibly some others. Boldin is also an ancient mariner and like other former greats, he can lose his edge at any time. With the Rams luck it would probably happen as soon as we signed him.

Barksdale is signed through next year. With Saffold, it may not end up being our choice(if he gets a LT offer) or we may let him go for the same reasons we let Amendola go.

You take a risk like any other FA signing...Saffold could get hurt. Dunbar could get suspended. Boldin could decline due to age. But I think Boldin brings leadership, experience and reliability that we desperately need at WR. He could change the careers of guys like Quick and Bailey.

fearsomefour

Legend
Barksdale is signed through next year. With Saffold, it may not end up being our choice(if he gets a LT offer) or we may let him go for the same reasons we let Amendola go.

You take a risk like any other FA signing...Saffold could get hurt. Dunbar could get suspended. Boldin could decline due to age. But I think Boldin brings leadership, experience and reliability that we desperately need at WR. He could change the careers of guys like Quick and Bailey.

The real question is would Bradford throw to Boldin when he is covered? This is when he gets a lot of catches.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real question is would Bradford throw to Boldin when he is covered? This is when he gets a lot of catches.

I'd say yes. He threw Lloyd, Amendola and Clayton. If Bradford trusts you, he'll throw to you.