2014 Free Agents that interest you.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
The truth is that you don't know if it's Walton or not dictating that coverage. We've seen press multiple times this year, and at this point it's hard to tell if Fisher is having us play the off coverage or if it's Walton.

You make a valid point, we don't know. One thing we do know is that the defense has taken a HUGE step back this year after seeming like it was ascending into the top 10 status. Coincidence that Walton's arrival has anything to do with the nosedive with the Rams defense this year? I find that hard to believe. I'm not going to blame the drop off completely on Walton, but I think he's played a large role.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I like this one the best due mostly for his hands Eric Decker has wonderful hands!

Yea he would be my number one option out of the ones I listed too, I just went down the list and picked the ones I liked. I just don't think he will come cheap he had a good season last year and a even better season this year so far. Those hands with his size, just what we need imo.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yea he would be my number one option out of the ones I listed too, I just went down the list and picked the ones I liked. I just don't think he will come cheap he had a good season last year and a even better season this year so far. Those hands with his size, just what we need imo.
I dont disagree with this. We have some speed guys and guys that are hopefully developing. Getting a guy to be a stick mover would be a huge bonus for the Rams O.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You make a valid point, we don't know. One thing we do know is that the defense has taken a HUGE step back this year after seeming like it was ascending into the top 10 status. Coincidence that Walton's arrival has anything to do with the nosedive with the Rams defense this year? I find that hard to believe. I'm not going to blame the drop off completely on Walton, but I think he's played a large role.

Wouldn't you think that an even larger role would be starting a second year UDFA and a rookie at safety?

I get that Walton hasn't been perfect, and I'm not totally defending him, but we have to look at the bigger picture.

Do you really think that anyone else is going to be all that much different? Fisher will have his hands on the defense no matter who is here.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I dont disagree with this. We have some speed guys and guys that are hopefully developing. Getting a guy to be a stick mover would be a huge bonus for the Rams O.

I would be going hard to get Decker. He's a bigger version of what Welker/Amendola bring in terms of always being in the right place at the right time.

fearsomefour

Legend
I would be going hard to get Decker. He's a bigger version of what Welker/Amendola bring in terms of always being in the right place at the right time.

It would be interesting to see if he could reproduce his success in a different place or if it is a product of having a system and a QB that put teams in panic mode. Also with the other weapons have Decker may be seen (Im sure less now) as the 3rd or 4th worry for the defense. At some the term "possession" receiver got a bad knock. We have speed guys. Having a big body that could be counted on to run precise routes and catch balls for first downs would be a huge gain……where are your Quick??

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
First year DC
Rookie safety who was injured and out for weeks
Starting CB Finnegan that stunk it up
UDFA playing the other safety and sometimes nickle
Rookie LB
Vet LB out first four games with suspension

And they played the soft coverage on the corners last year Walton did not bring that with him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Personally, I think the Rams should stay away from FA for the most part. It seems like we have to OVERpay for average talent, because St. Lou is not a premium destination by any stretch of the imagination. Most players would probably rather play elsewhere for the same price. build through the draft, or trade a pick for a vet.....kinda like that Marshall Faulf trade. That was kinda cool, yes??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can agree with this, but for someone to put the blame squarely on Walton isn't fair. It's a combination of troubles. First, we need a shutdown corner.

We really don't need a shutdown CB. We do need a better scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like this one the best due mostly for his hands Eric Decker has wonderful hands!

Disagree, Bonifay. Decker has the 7th most dropped passes in the NFL right now. And he's been very inconsistent for the Broncos this year. Not worth what he'll be asking imo.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Disagree, Bonifay. Decker has the 7th most dropped passes in the NFL right now. And he's been very inconsistent for the Broncos this year. Not worth what he'll be asking imo.

Eric decker is ranked 9th he has 7 drops with a 6.1% drop rate on 73 receptions, Calvin Johnson is ranked 22nd has 6 drops with a 4.4% drop rate on 75 receptions. 2% difference. would you pass on Calvin Johnson because he has such a close drop rate % to Decker if he was becoming a FA? I think we should be looking at the % over the rank, imo.

FWIW Tavon, Cook and almost all the other Rams receivers have much higher drop rate %'s.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eric decker is ranked 9th he has 7 drops with a 6.1% drop rate on 73 receptions, Calvin Johnson is ranked 22nd has 6 drops with a 4.4% drop rate on 75 receptions. 2% difference. would you pass on Calvin Johnson because he has such a close drop rate % to Decker if he was becoming a FA? I think we should be looking at the % over the rank, imo.

FWIW Tavon, Cook and almost all the other Rams receivers have much higher drop rate %'s.

Tavon also dropped all his passes in the first 5 weeks and is a rookie.

No, I wouldn't pass on Calvin Johnson...because he's Calvin Johnson. Eric Decker is not Calvin Johnson. But what we were discussing were Decker's hands. I don't believe they're that great. They're not bad either. But he drops a lot of passes he should catch and the rest of his game isn't great enough to make up for it.

IMO, he's not a #1 WR and will want to be paid like one. So I'd pass.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Tavon also dropped all his passes in the first 5 weeks and is a rookie.

No, I wouldn't pass on Calvin Johnson...because he's Calvin Johnson. Eric Decker is not Calvin Johnson. But what we were discussing were Decker's hands. I don't believe they're that great. They're not bad either. But he drops a lot of passes he should catch and the rest of his game isn't great enough to make up for it.

IMO, he's not a #1 WR and will want to be paid like one. So I'd pass.

Just saying, there drops/drop rate%/receptions are identical. I don't know how you can say his hands are not great when hes got 1 more drop then the best.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saying, there drops/drop rate%/receptions are identical. I don't know how you can say his hands are not great when hes got 1 more drop then the best.

His hands are not great imo. And Calvin Johnson doesn't have the best hands. He's prone to drops. What he does have is freakish athleticism and the ability to make some ridiculous catches. But when I think of the best hands in the NFL...that would be, for me, Larry Fitzgerald.

Decker? Nah. His hands are in the average-decent range.

And I'm not really sure how one can argue that he's top 10 worst in the NFL in drops and then say his hands are great because Calvin Johnson is almost as bad when it comes to dropping passes. I'm sorry, LA, I don't really get the logic there.

But yea, regardless, I'm not a Decker fan. Just don't see a special WR and if I'm dishing out big time FA money, I want a guy that I think can be a top 5 WR. If it were Dez Bryant or DeMaryius Thomas or AJ Green, sign me up. But Eric Decker? I'm just not interested.

Anquan Boldin is the only FA WR I'd consider and that's because he'd offer a veteran presence, reliable hands and he'd come relatively cheap without a long term deal.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
WR...i wanted Anquan Boldin last year(after his Baltimore post season heroics). Its in here somewhere. One of the toughest,smartest,most competitive football players i've ever seen. Would've been an excellent signing. SF got him instead.

FA's after this season is tricky. Young team,year three,big money already spent on skill positions in Cook,Finnegan,Long,Wells...etc.
Long has made the OLine better. The absence of Finnegan has made Tru Johnson better,Cook has made little difference and Wells isn't playing. Cut big $ players, gamble and draft?

IMO our greatest area of need is DB,OLine and WR(still). Rams will probably target a DB,DE,DT or trade down.
I don't see Snead/Fisher drafting an OLineman early...so i think we'll see a very active Free agency in OLinemen that can step in and protect and/or move ppl. I think they like our depth but not our talent up front. I'd agree with that hypothetical idea of "not good enough on the OLine." :wink:

My pet peeve 2 cents: This young WR core has been missing a veteran guy that can lead by example and with production since Torry Holt's latter yrs and to a lesser degree Mark Clayton. Go get a vet that can show these kids what it takes to work and be a pro.

A very talented young QB that is looking for consistency and confidence to throw darts all over the field isn't gonna find it with a mostly toddler group of WR's that are still getting comfy running routes and trying to beat man coverage. I like our WR's potential,but we need a guy who can either demand coverage or a guy who has demanded coverage in the past and can be a mentor on the field and still make a few big plays.

A leader by example or production or both. Could be A.Boldin again. Idk...not much else out there in terms of FA WR's that won't break the bank or disrupt the development of our young cats.

moklerman

Warner-phile
C'mon now, you're not looking at the big picture here. The drop rate may be "similar" but think about what Calvin does and has to deal with in terms of coverage and then think about what Decker does in Denver. Would you even put them in the same conversation?

If Decker was being double and triple teamed and the Broncos were still throwing to him and he was still leading the league in receiving stats, sure I'd say the Rams should consider him. But let's be honest. There's just as much of a chance that Decker becomes the next Drew Bennett if he's asked to come to St. Louis and be WR#1. It would be a terrible signing for the Rams IMO. And I like what Decker offers for the Broncos. But I don't think there's any potential for him to be what the Rams need him to be.

duckhunter

Starter
We've got a beer pocketbook unless we cut quite a few veterans and we're talking champagne tastes when we mention C Johnson or some of the other names kicked around.

We'll be lucky to sign Saffold is my viewpoint.

Alan

Legend
moklerman veering off course:
C'mon now, you're not looking at the big picture here. The drop rate may be "similar" but think about what Calvin does and has to deal with in terms of coverage and then think about what Decker does in Denver. Would you even put them in the same conversation?

If Decker was being double and triple teamed and the Broncos were still throwing to him and he was still leading the league in receiving stats, sure I'd say the Rams should consider him. But let's be honest. There's just as much of a chance that Decker becomes the next Drew Bennett if he's asked to come to St. Louis and be WR#1. It would be a terrible signing for the Rams IMO. And I like what Decker offers for the Broncos. But I don't think there's any potential for him to be what the Rams need him to be.
The discussion is about "hands" and you're now bringing in the other factors that make Megatron, Megatron IMO. Jrry already said he'd take CJ if offered.

Just sayin.

I don't know whether Decker has good hands or not but I'm totally against paying the kind of money he'd want. I'm of the opinion that we have our own guys like Saffold to sign.