2014 Free Agents that interest you.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
The only FA i want to see in a Rams jersey next season is Byrd. The other concerns can be fixed in the draft or by finding better coordinators. cough *walton* cough

Exactly where I stand. I want Saffold Re-signed and Byrd brought in. If any money available then go WR in FA. The rest is through the draft, especially Cb and DT.

Biggest Offeseason move.....drop Walton. Instant upgrade to the D.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can understand not wanting any high-priced names...but the team will at least sign some bottom of the roster type guys. Anyone strike your fancy from that group?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We absolutely need a veteran presence at WR and safety. I say bring in Anquan Boldin. He has proven time and again he can still play at a high level regardless of his slowness. He can teach the young guys too, something our WR corps has been lacking for quite some time now.

Well here's a projected list of your desired veteran wide outs where they are @ currently & what they were being paid. In reference to Boldin being purchased to come in here & show & teach....Boldin is no Tory Holt on that teaching stuff he is about himself & showing how to murder Rams in performing game day...he may be one of the biggest Ram killers out there today still playing.

If I was looking in bringing in a veteran receiver by overpaying for a UFA ....Jacoby Jones (Ravens) & Golden Taint (Seahawks). Taint would be extra nice that we took him from a divisional foe....plus we know he has wonderful hands to snatch balls out of the air with. Jones is a tall future game breaker. IMO both are way way out of the Rams price range...maybe we could trade another team some of our purchased UFA's like Cortland Finnegan & Jared Cook throw in Scott Wells too that's close to 100 million worth of contracts/debt in those three.

Anquan Boldin49ers$8,333,333
Devin HesterBears$5,489,006
Santana MossRedskins$5,000,000
Jacoby JonesRavens$3,250,000
James JonesPackers$3,233,333
Jeremy MaclinEagles$2,875,000
Emmanuel SandersSteelers$2,500,000
Darrius Heyward-BeyColts$2,500,000
Hakeem NicksGiants$2,215,000
Jerome SimpsonVikings$2,100,000
Kenny BrittTitans$1,830,002
Mario Manningham49ers$1,800,000
Jerricho CotcherySteelers$1,500,000
Dexter McClusterChiefs$1,325,000
Domenik HixonPanthers$1,200,000
Ted GinnPanthers$1,100,000
Plaxico BurressSteelers$1,005,000
Kevin WalterTitans$1,005,000
Ben TateBengals$966,000
Kassim Osgood49ers$940,000
Brandon StokleyRavens$940,000
Andre CaldwellBroncos$900,000
Brandon LaFellPanthers$869,600
Damian WilliamsTitans$864,063
Golden TaintSeahawks$852,875
Josh CribbsJets$840,000
Eric DeckerBroncos$828,788
Jacoby FordRaiders$787,211
Louis MurphyGiants$780,000
Julian EdelmanPatriots$765,000
Robert MeachemSaints$715,000
Kevin OgletreeLions$715,000
Austin ColliePatriots$715,000
Lavelle HawkinsChargers$715,000
Tiquan UnderwoodBuccaneers$715,000
Taylor PriceJaguars$661,145
Seyi AjirotutuChargers$630,000
Marlon MooreDolphins$630,000
Tandon DossRavens$555,000
Riley CooperEagles$527,870
Kyle WilliamsChiefs$504,838
Dezmon BriscoeRedskins$485,000

fearsomefour

Legend
Cornerback Brandon Browner, has been given a one-year suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse, will continue the appeal process after turning down a deal to shorten the ban, NFL.com reported.
Browner was given the opportunity to reduce the ban by nearly three months, according to a Friday report by Fox Sports. The decision means Browner could find himself out of action until next December if the appeal isn't successful.

Browner, 29, set to become an unrestricted free agent after the season, has not played since injuring his groin against the Atlanta Falcons on Nov. 10. He returned to practice this week but already has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

A key member of the Seattle secondary, Browner made the Pro Bowl as a 27-year-old rookie after going undrafted out of Oregon State. He played three seasons in the CFL before garnering his first NFL job.

Seattle (11-1), which own's the league's best record, can clinch the NFC West with a win against the 49ers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eattle-seahawks-turns-deal-suspension-reduced
So if he is out till Dec dont pursue him, if he is not then go after him, although if he is cleared the price might be high.

duckhunter

Starter
Taint has good hands. He is still trending up and might be had at a reasonable amount. Decker and Edelman are sensible alternatives in the bargain bin.

Otherwise, I'd say the Ram's are near enough to cap hell that they can't participate too much in FA. I really don't expect much in FA. We'll be lucky to sign our own guys.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Isn't the cap going to jump in 2014? I thought there was supposed to be a bigger increase than the usual 2% because of the new tv contract and new CBA? Teams will have to start dealing with a salary floor as well as a salary cap too.

A55VA6

Legend
Cap this year I believe is $123M and next year the Salary cap is $126M. So that gives us a little to work with. Plus I think the Rams will cut a couple higher priced players on the roster so I think we'll have some FA money to work with. There's a couple FA's I like but we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. Really depends on the players the Rams cut though.

A55VA6

Legend
Exactly where I stand. I want Saffold Re-signed and Byrd brought in. If any money available then go WR in FA. The rest is through the draft, especially Cb and DT.

Biggest Offeseason move.....drop Walton. Instant upgrade to the D.
I agree with this. I think Byrd would be a great addition and brings a veteran to the secondary. We NEED another veteran CB or S on this roster. Finnegan is that, but idk if he's in the future plans.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Assuming Cortland is gone (which is far from a guarantee):

1. Would anyone be interested in signing Brent Grimes? Has come back & played really solid this year after the Achilles in 2012. A guy who can play outside and inside. However, his price will probably be too high for us.

2. I'd prefer replacing Cort with a young talent like Joyner. Imo nickelback is almost as important as the two outside corners in today's NFL. Teams that have an effective nickelback, are often some of the better Ds.

As much as people hate our safties, I think Walton is the bigger problem. Don't get me wrong, a ball hawking FS is near the top of my Christmas list, but I'm more concerned for our nickelback position. TMac will be a solid SS, love his physicality, good around the LOS. But how many long TDs have been the safties fault this year? Even with so many guys at the position this year, imo the chunks have come against Tru/Jenks/Finn outside. I think Tru & Jenks can fix their issues, and new scheme would help, I'm not so sure about Cort at this stage in his career.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Assuming Cortland is gone (which is far from a guarantee):

1. Would anyone be interested in signing Brent Grimes? Has come back & played really solid this year after the Achilles in 2012. A guy who can play outside and inside. However, his price will probably be too high for us.

2. I'd prefer replacing Cort with a young talent like Joyner. Imo nickelback is almost as important as the two outside corners in today's NFL. Teams that have an effective nickelback, are often some of the better Ds.

As much as people hate our safties, I think Walton is the bigger problem. Don't get me wrong, a ball hawking FS is near the top of my Christmas list, but I'm more concerned for our nickelback position. TMac will be a solid SS, love his physicality, good around the LOS. But how many long TDs have been the safties fault this year? Even with so many guys at the position this year, imo the chunks have come against Tru/Jenks/Finn outside. I think Tru & Jenks can fix their issues, and new scheme would help, I'm not so sure about Cort at this stage in his career.

I'm wondering how you think Walton is the problem. Is it because you hear other people talk about it? I've heard Rams fans that have talked to long time Detroit fans who have said that this isn't the way Walton's secondary played in Detroit. It's more likely that the problem is our safeties being sub-par. IMO, a cover safety and Dennard should be at the top of your list.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I'm wondering how you think Walton is the problem. Is it because you hear other people talk about it? I've heard Rams fans that have talked to long time Detroit fans who have said that this isn't the way Walton's secondary played in Detroit. It's more likely that the problem is our safeties being sub-par. IMO, a cover safety and Dennard should be at the top of your list.

It's because I've seen it with my own eyes for 13 games. Playing soft-off zone doesn't work to our CBs strengths. I've seen the Rams play the CBs off 7-8 yards on 3rd and 5 or less countless times this year. I don't care if you're the best corner in the league, that's not a situation where you're going to succeed often. The Fitzgerald TD last week inside the RZ is exhibit A for me. We're playing the CBs in the endzone when the Cards are inside the 10. Fitz runs a quick slant and basically walks in. The scheme IS an issue. The blitzes have been weak and predicatble imo too. The whole soft-zone off coverage imo is one of the reasons the sack #s are slightly down from a year ago too. Palmer had a career day (comp. %) vs us, because he was getting the ball out to wide open WRs within 1 or 2 seconds from the snap. Are Tru & Jenks free from criticism? No, I'm not excusing them from their occasional penalties or bites on PA fakes/double moves. They can improve for sure. But I DO believe the scheme is holding them back too. When you play 7 yards off at the snap of the ball & they're running quick slants, WR screens, etc. its tough for the DB to break on the ball and tough for the pass rush to get there because the ball is coming out SO FAST.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can tell you this, if it's not Walton, it's Fisher. If they were playing soft coverage to make up for our safeties, I could understand it. But that's not just it. We disguise our looks poorly. Our players seem to have no clue how to execute our zone scheme and we have a lot of miscommunication on defense. This defense just doesn't seem well coached and the scheme is a poor one.

IMO, Walton needs to go. He just doesn't seem ready and I feel like Fisher hasn't helped matters either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As far as free agents, there are a few I like. Other than Anquan Boldin(for his veteran presence), I don't like any of the WRs this year though.

A55VA6

Legend
The problem is definitely Walton. I like Grimes, but he IS 30. I just want a few more veterans on this team!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I can tell you this, if it's not Walton, it's Fisher. If they were playing soft coverage to make up for our safeties, I could understand it. But that's not just it. We disguise our looks poorly. Our players seem to have no clue how to execute our zone scheme and we have a lot of miscommunication on defense. This defense just doesn't seem well coached and the scheme is a poor one.

IMO, Walton needs to go. He just doesn't seem ready and I feel like Fisher hasn't helped matters either.

I can agree with this, but for someone to put the blame squarely on Walton isn't fair. It's a combination of troubles. First, we need a shutdown corner.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It's because I've seen it with my own eyes for 13 games. Playing soft-off zone doesn't work to our CBs strengths. I've seen the Rams play the CBs off 7-8 yards on 3rd and 5 or less countless times this year. I don't care if you're the best corner in the league, that's not a situation where you're going to succeed often. The Fitzgerald TD last week inside the RZ is exhibit A for me. We're playing the CBs in the endzone when the Cards are inside the 10. Fitz runs a quick slant and basically walks in. The scheme IS an issue. The blitzes have been weak and predicatble imo too. The whole soft-zone off coverage imo is one of the reasons the sack #s are slightly down from a year ago too. Palmer had a career day (comp. %) vs us, because he was getting the ball out to wide open WRs within 1 or 2 seconds from the snap. Are Tru & Jenks free from criticism? No, I'm not excusing them from their occasional penalties or bites on PA fakes/double moves. They can improve for sure. But I DO believe the scheme is holding them back too. When you play 7 yards off at the snap of the ball & they're running quick slants, WR screens, etc. its tough for the DB to break on the ball and tough for the pass rush to get there because the ball is coming out SO FAST.

The truth is that you don't know if it's Walton or not dictating that coverage. We've seen press multiple times this year, and at this point it's hard to tell if Fisher is having us play the off coverage or if it's Walton.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Well here's a projected list of your desired veteran wide outs where they are @ currently & what they were being paid. In reference to Boldin being purchased to come in here & show & teach....Boldin is no Tory Holt on that teaching stuff he is about himself & showing how to murder Rams in performing game day...he may be one of the biggest Ram killers out there today still playing.

If I was looking in bringing in a veteran receiver by overpaying for a UFA ....Jacoby Jones (Ravens) & Golden Taint (Seahawks). Taint would be extra nice that we took him from a divisional foe....plus we know he has wonderful hands to snatch balls out of the air with. Jones is a tall future game breaker. IMO both are way way out of the Rams price range...maybe we could trade another team some of our purchased UFA's like Cortland Finnegan & Jared Cook throw in Scott Wells too that's close to 100 million worth of contracts/debt in those three.

Anquan Boldin49ers$8,333,333
Devin HesterBears$5,489,006
Santana MossRedskins$5,000,000
Jacoby JonesRavens$3,250,000
James JonesPackers$3,233,333
Jeremy MaclinEagles$2,875,000
Emmanuel SandersSteelers$2,500,000
Darrius Heyward-BeyColts$2,500,000
Hakeem NicksGiants$2,215,000
Jerome SimpsonVikings$2,100,000
Kenny BrittTitans$1,830,002
Mario Manningham49ers$1,800,000
Jerricho CotcherySteelers$1,500,000
Dexter McClusterChiefs$1,325,000
Domenik HixonPanthers$1,200,000
Ted GinnPanthers$1,100,000
Plaxico BurressSteelers$1,005,000
Kevin WalterTitans$1,005,000
Ben TateBengals$966,000
Kassim Osgood49ers$940,000
Brandon StokleyRavens$940,000
Andre CaldwellBroncos$900,000
Brandon LaFellPanthers$869,600
Damian WilliamsTitans$864,063
Golden TaintSeahawks$852,875
Josh CribbsJets$840,000
Eric DeckerBroncos$828,788
Jacoby FordRaiders$787,211
Louis MurphyGiants$780,000
Julian EdelmanPatriots$765,000
Robert MeachemSaints$715,000
Kevin OgletreeLions$715,000
Austin ColliePatriots$715,000
Lavelle HawkinsChargers$715,000
Tiquan UnderwoodBuccaneers$715,000
Taylor PriceJaguars$661,145
Seyi AjirotutuChargers$630,000
Marlon MooreDolphins$630,000
Tandon DossRavens$555,000
Riley CooperEagles$527,870
Kyle WilliamsChiefs$504,838
Dezmon BriscoeRedskins$485,000

If we took one somehow, id like to see one of the below.

Hakeem Nicks
Jerome Simpson
Mario Manningham
Eric Decker