With the 160 pick in the draft the Rams select Obo Okowronko DE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that wade phillips is a funny guy.

"obo-y". haha.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This guy was a steal , I can see him being the day 1 starter at olb.

I am nervous with potentially Barron being our only experience starting linebacker next year.

High potential with ebukam, kiser and Obo, let's see if wade can work his magic

they did sign wilson. and have other guys that have played some. i wouldn't be too worried, can't get worse than ogletree.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
i wouldn't be too worried, can't get worse than ogletree.

Apparently you forgot about every ram linebacker between London Fletcher and James Laurinaitis.

Ogletree really struggled the latter half of last year and belongs at Will in a 4-3, but even out of place and playing through injuries, you can do worse than Alec Ogletree.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Very happy with this pick. Obo is a perfect fit for what we're doing.

Every year I have a player that I like the fit with !! This year it was OO !!

EJ Gaines,Jamon Brown,Kupp !! This year OO

Add also with the first rd picks pretty much knew the direction. The only time I didn’t make (know) the call at a position was one of The Rams best picks Todd Gurley!!
I have to add Aaron Donald as well !!

Right there shows when Les Snead picks early & not by position he has rocked it !!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Can anyone tell me why this dude fell to the 5th round?
Watching several games....doesn't do much when blocked...he seems to cause damage when he's free to attack....I have also noticed he seems to stand around on some plays....

I personally think a guy with short arms is gonna have a tough time in the NFL on the edge...dealing with linemen. Freeny...Dumervil...those smaller edge players....had incredible motors....incredible power....and incredible speed to effect the game as pass rushers....they just don't make guys like that...

Plus....at his size...I think teams were turned off with his 40 time....I seem to remember 4.7 something...or was it 4.8??

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watching several games....doesn't do much when blocked...he seems to cause damage when he's free to attack....I have also noticed he seems to stand around on some plays....

I personally think a guy with short arms is gonna have a tough time in the NFL on the edge...dealing with linemen. Freeny...Dumervil...those smaller edge players....had incredible motors....incredible power....and incredible speed to effect the game as pass rushers....they just don't make guys like that...

Plus....at his size...I think teams were turned off with his 40 time....I seem to remember 4.7 something...or was it 4.8??

His arms measured in just short of 34 inches.

Ram65

Legend

I was concerned when he seemed to be stonewalled in the Senior Bowl one on ones with offensive tackles.

D Farr really likes him and he was at the Sr Bowl practices. Paraphasing he stated he is the ideal guy to set the edge and rush the passer. He was impressed with his ability to set the edge. If he can set the edge and get some pressures that should be good for the Rams. Arms are 33 3/4 Inches. He will get to rotate in. I think we see a bit of a committee approach which will help him fresh.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Maybe it's too soon, but

Okoronkwo and Ebukam team to form

The Nigerian Sack Exchange

or

The Nigerian Nightmares

141351_article.jpg

--------

WestCoastRam

Legend
This seems an apropos article about lack of measurables - height - possibly a big reason Obo wasn't taken earlier. A-A-ron Donald and Ejuan Price make guest appearances in it too!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...pass-rushers-natural-advantage-to-being-short
Not to Be Overlooked: A Pass-Rusher's Natural Advantage to Being Short
BRENT SOBLESKIDECEMBER 9, 2016

hi-res-7749f11dec17bb23d853eb7a93e2f597_crop_north.jpg

Jake Roth-USA TODAY Sports
Prizefighter Jack Dempsey stood 6'1", but he said it best about facing taller opponents: "Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body."

Pass-rushers don't need prototypical size to pack a punch.

From the moment the pads are strapped on for the first time, a simple truth is taught to everyone who ever plays football: low man wins. Pad level and leverage are crucial to success. Offensive and defensive linemen exhaustively practice to hone their technique while coaches bellow, "Stay low!"

Yet a disconnect exists between this simple concept and how defensive linemen are evaluated.

The NFL prefers its pass-rushers to be long and tall, even though a natural advantage exists for shorter defenders.

The average professional offensive tackle stands 6'5" with arms over 33 inches long. Size is needed at the position to counteract a lack of athleticism. For example, San Diego Chargers left tackle King Dunlap stands 6'8" and weighs 310 pounds. He's as big as they come, and it takes approximately an hour to run around him on a defender's way to the quarterback.

But if the pass-rusher can get those big blockers to bend, it makes their lives a whole lot harder.

Every NFL team prefers the prototype. The Green Bay Packers' Julius Peppers is a freak at 6'6" and 283 pounds. He's also the NFL's active leader in sacks. However, teams can't build their expectations on such a rare athlete.

The ability to sack the quarterback is a skill, not a genetic trait.

"I must understand my attributes and be able to rush the passer based on those," said Buffalo Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, who stands 6'1" and is currently tied for third with 10 sacks. "For example, I'm not going to come up with the same game plan as Julius Peppers, because we're built totally different with different abilities.

"It's about being honest with who you are as a pass-rusher and then attacking linemen using your strengths."

The idea a defensive lineman should be 6'3" or taller with long limbs remains the preference, but the overall train of thought has become antiquated.

NFL offenses continue to lean more heavily on the passing game. The game isn't played from tackle to tackle anymore. Thus, defenders who would have been (or are still) considered undersized are now garnering more opportunities and allowed to showcase their skills.

47568de6e21f981f5c816d629d2992bd_crop_exact.jpg

Buffalo Bills linebacker Lorenzo AlexanderBill Wippert/Associated Press
Alexander proved to be the perfect example of an unappreciated, undrafted defensive lineman who continued to work hard throughout his career and experienced a breakout campaign at 33 years old.

As a collegiate defensive tackle-turned-edge defender, he faced bias placed on those who don't fit a certain body type.

"Most definitely," Alexander said. "I had a few coaches tell me that I'm a good player, but I'm on the short side.

"I thought, 'Alright, I can't do anything about that.' I had someone in Carolina and Washington tell me that. What do you want me to do? I can't make myself grow. God blessed me at a certain height."

A quick look around the league shows this mentality is changing, albeit at a glacial pace.

Reggie White and Bruce Smith fit the ideal. They were hulking men who dominated at every level and retired as the two most successful pass-rushers in NFL history.

But there's room for the little(r) guy. If an individual shows he can play, everyone will take notice. It doesn't matter if he hovers around 6'0".

Los Angeles Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald is the best in the business right now. He doesn't come close to fitting prototypical standards.

During the predraft process, the defensive tackle measured just under 6'1". He also weighs 285 pounds, which is at least 10-15 pounds lighter than a typical interior defender.

Before being drafted, the Pitt product scoffed at the notion his size would be a hindrance.

"Size doesn't mean anything," Donald told me at the 2014 Senior Bowl. "If you can play the game of football, you can play.

"I don't feel like I have to prove myself. Everything teams need to see is already on film."

In his final three seasons at Pittsburgh, the lineman registered 63 tackles for loss and 27.5 sacks. His play and production translated to the pros. Today, Donald is a wrecking ball that obliterates offensive game plans.

Four consistent traits show up among undersized players who overcome physical limitations: explosiveness, natural leverage, technique and an understanding how to play to one's strengths.

Donald exemplifies all four, as seen during the Rams' contest against the New Orleans Saints, per the team's Twitter account:

Los Angeles Rams

✔@RamsNFL

https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/802963477715251200

Aaron Donald is a BEAST #LAvsNO@AaronDonald97 + #ProBowlVote

12:53 PM - Nov 27, 2016
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The Scouting Academy provided a different angle:

The Scouting Academy@TheScoutAcademy

https://twitter.com/TheScoutAcademy/status/803735999947898881

#TeachTapeTuesday via #MobSquad DT Aaron Donald showcasing hand usage, leverage, burst, and finish on this Week 12 strip-sack:

4:02 PM - Nov 29, 2016
Twitter Ads info and privacy

The defensive tackle's natural leverage is easily recognizable since he's lower than anyone else across the line of scrimmage. Donald was also quick into the blocker and ready to shed the 6'7", 312-pound Andrus Peat before the guard even had a chance to react.

One play can't encapsulate an individual's entire skill set, but these types of plays are typical when keying on the All-Pro performer.

"When you turn on the tape of him, it's not always tackles for loss and sacks," said Saints defensive lineman Sheldon Rankins, who measured 6'1" at the NFL combine, per ESPN.com's Mike Triplett. "He may get into the backfield and knock off pullers, get into the backfield and throw a running back into a quarterback, make the quarterback move his feet and somebody else gets a sack."

Donald's play is relentless. Over the past two seasons, he leads all defensive tackles with 17 sacks. Pro Football Focus graded him as the game's best defender regardless of position over the same period.

"He is outstanding. Just pick a game, put it on," Saints head coach Asshole Face said. "You combine all of these things—you combine extremely athletic and then you combine smart and then you would say his effort and energy. ... When you get that combination of all those critical factors, you end up with an elite player."

Payton never once mentioned Donald's size. It's now an afterthought. The defensive tackle can play the game at a very high level. As long as he does, he'll continue to open doors for others.

"Maybe we should re-evaluate how we look at things," Baltimore Ravens outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil said.

3783bedd0dd0bed3a786f60fc3f9f109_crop_exact.jpg

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Elvis Dumervil (58) celebrates with his teammates.Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
The Denver Broncos drafted the 6'0", 255-pound edge defender in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL draft after he registered 20 sacks as a senior with the Louisville Cardinals. Despite elite production, the defender still fell during draft weekend.

In his six seasons with the Broncos, the linebacker registered 63.5 sacks. In a twist of fate (and a fax snafu), he signed with the Ravens after the 2012 campaign. Dumervil planned to re-sign in Denver, but his representation sent the paperwork into the team minutes after the deadline passed.

"When I came to Baltimore, (general manager) Ozzie Newsome told me, 'I missed on you the first time around, but I wouldn't let it happen a second time,'" Dumervil said.

"If you look around, there have been those who have opened the door a little bit for everyone else like Dwight Freeney and John Randle. Their play allowed things to start happening. Then more exposure came with the likes of Robert Mathis and Aaron Donald.

"It's crazy because leverage is important."

Dumervil provided the game-sealing strip-sack during the Ravens' 19-14 Week 12 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. The leverage he created with a speed rush off the edge proved to be far too much for Bengals right tackle Eric Winston to handle, as seen in the series below:

d8f5c9f83da03502d7dc0caecc06ab58_crop_exact.png

Elvis Dumervil off the snap against Cincinnati Bengals right tackle Eric Winston.Credit: NFL Game Pass

846bacfa84f251c5289e44a3bfa323a2_crop_exact.png

Elvis Dumervil turns the corner against Cincinnati Bengals right tackle Eric Winston.Credit: NFL Game Pass

e95712b517e9c9f3186bced453bf8ef3_crop_exact.png

Elvis Dumervil reaches for the strip-sack against Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton.Credit: NFL Game Pass
First, Winston was clearly bent over and not comfortable in his pass set against the much smaller Dumervil. This placed the 6'7" blocker is a precarious position from the start.

"The bigger the lineman, the better," the Louisville product said. "I don't like going against the shorter guys, because I lose my leverage advantage and what I do. When I see the opponent's depth chart and the offensive tackle is 6'7", I get way more excited.

"I know at the end of the day, he prepares for those defenders who are 6'4" or 6'5". He's got to get out of his technique against me. He's accustomed to blocking taller players. When I get lower, the blocker gets out of his comfort zone. That's when they have issues."

As Dumervil turned the corner, the tackle clearly reached in an attempt to stop his speed rush.

Finally, the defender cleared the block and put an end to any hope of a Bengals comeback.

With the sack, the five-time Pro Bowl performer has 97 in his career, which ranks eighth among active players.

A pass-rusher with Donald or Dumervil's build is much like a power lifter. The world's best strong men aren't long-limbed. Those who have shorter arms and barrel chests are built for short-area explosiveness. The same can be said of smaller defensive linemen.

"Those guys with shorter limbs get into their technique quicker," Dumervil said. "Those who don't get into their technique quickly often lose the battle. A shorter guy is usually very quick and explosive. When he gets on a guy, he's already in a good position, too. Taller guys must get off the snap, then get low. Meanwhile, I'm already low. That's a second I'm not wasting. When it comes to explosiveness off the snap and rounding the corner, I see a correlation."

No one exemplifies this point more than the Pittsburgh Steelers' James Harrison. Harrison entered the league as an undrafted and undersized defender. Even in Pittsburgh's storied history, he'll leave the game as franchise's all-time leading sack artist.

6a2bd21eb1663976feb57c9594bdf625_crop_exact.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James HarrisonJustin K. Aller/Getty Images
Harrison stands 6'0", and he's an absolute powder keg. His work ethic and weight room escapades are legendary.

"I see him every day, so I'm less amazed by him," Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said after Harrison broke the team record, per the Associated Press' Tom Withers. "Maybe I should be amazed by it, but we know that his production is not haphazard. It's not something mystical. He works extremely hard and does so on a daily basis."

A misnomer exists that an undersized pass-rusher must rely solely on his speed. Harrison is as strong or stronger than anyone in the league. His bull rush can be overwhelming.

"It comes down to [an] understanding of your weaknesses and using your strengths to your advantage," Alexander said. "I'm not going to run down the middle or long-arm guys who are naturally longer than me. I wouldn’t be able to separate and extend like I wanted to if I did. It doesn't mean I can't long-arm a lineman; I just need to properly set it up with speed, speed, speed and try to catch him with a long-arm or be precise with my hands.

"There are just things I need to focus on differently than someone who has the natural advantages."

A natural skill does exist in a player's ability to get to the quarterback, but it has nothing to do with height or length. An understanding develops of how to create pressure.

"If I know I can get a lineman moving, he must respect my speed," Dumervil said. "I can then counter with a power rush. It's all about what they give me. I don't force things or premeditate my moves. It's an art determined by the flow of the game."

As such, all prospects should be evaluated based on their film and not their measurables. Alexander, Donald, Dumervil and Harrison all flashed dominance during their collegiate careers, yet their lack of size was held against them to varying degrees.

This year's draft class won't be any different.

Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett is the favorite to become the No. 1 overall pick. He fits the prototype. Alabama's Jonathan Allen, Tennessee's Derek Barnett, Michigan's Taco Charlton, Stanford's Solomon Thomas and Alabama's Tim Williams are all projected as first-round selections. Each one of them is 6'3" or taller.

Pitt's Ejuan Price is something altogether different, and he'll likely be selected a few rounds later during the April event. He's 6'0" with an injury history and doesn't even wear full football pants on game days.

05eec71167c946c938140ec80eb84fab_crop_exact.jpg

Pitt Panthers defensive end EJuan PriceJoe Sargent/Getty Images
Panthers head coach Pat Narduzzi even referred to Price as "little No. 5" after the team's stunning victory over the second-ranked Clemson Tigers.

But the first-team All-ACC performer can get to the quarterback and create disruption. He's tied for second in the nation with 21 tackles for loss and sixth with 12 sacks.

"You will hear it from everybody," Price said. "But I don't see the disadvantages of being shorter. When others talk about length, I always looked at it from the opposite perspective. To me, a lower pad level is a bigger advantage. Every now and then, you'll go against a tackle with long arms, and he locks you out for a play here or there. But I think 60 or 70 percent of the time, I'm beating them because I'm shorter with better quickness, leverage and power."

"Being shorter is better, honestly."

Leverage is the common theme between all of these talented pass-rushers. Price can dip his shoulder and turn the corner with the best, as seen below against Penn State senior Brendan Mahon:

cb1c63cebcf8f26a57159c3e40c580f8_crop_exact.png

Pittsburgh Panthers defensive end Ejuan Price bends the edge.Credit: ESPNU
However, the Panthers defender relied on more than just his pad level and speed rush. He ripped under the attempted blocker for the sack.

"For someone like me with shorter arms, hand placement is key," Price said. "A good pass-rusher will tell you that you don't have to hit your mark every time, but you need to have your hands in the combat zone. When you get close enough for an offensive tackle to touch you, your hands better be up and ready to swipe, dip and rip, or do whatever you plan to do.

"If the blocker lands his punch and locks his arms out, that's when a shorter guys is at a disadvantage. They'll catch you one or two times a game, too. I make sure I'm the one striking first, and I'm quick into my moves."

Sometimes a defensive end is so quick off the snap that he doesn't need to set up a move. One false step or poor angle can spell doom for the blocker.

Price's burst was on display during Pitt's meeting with the North Carolina Tar Heels. On the Panthers' very first defensive snap, the defender blew into the backfield and registered a safety. North Carolina's right tackle isn't a slouch, either. Jon Heck is a four-year starter and one of the better strong-side blockers available for the 2017 NFL draft.

"As a pass-rusher, the No. 1 thing is get-off," Dumervil said. "Once you have a good get-off, you have to know what works for you. ... I stick to what I do. I use my leverage, arm length and quickness to my advantage. In turn, those things create power. But it starts with a player's get-off."

NFL's sack leaders (2016)
No. Player Height Sacks
1. Von Miller 6'3" 12.5
2. Vic Beasley 6'2" 10.5
3. Lorenzo Alexander 6'1' 10
3. Cliff Avril 6'3" 10
3. Dee Ford 6'2" 10
3. Ryan Kerrigan 6'3" 10
3. Khalil Mack 6'3" 10
NFL.com
Price is part of the next generation inspired by Freeney, Dumervil and Donald. He won't be the only one in this or future classes, though.

There will always be those who are downgraded or counted out because of their size. Those same individuals will fight to dispel any negative perceptions. These vertically challenged sack artists come into the NFL with chips on their shoulders.

"It's not a big chip, but I do believe you need a different mentality," Alexander said. "I definitely feel like I have something to prove when you hear what people say about shorter pass-rushers. I feel I can be just as productive or more so than someone with better size than me. Every game I go into, I try to bring it. It's something you have to deal with, and I understand that. I try not to make it a big deal."

Size and length don't make a great pass-rusher. Leverage, explosiveness, technique and work ethic do. Anyone who displays those qualities won't be knocked down for the count. Instead, their hands will be held high after yet another sack.

All quotes obtained firsthand by Brent Sobleski, who covers the NFL for Bleacher Report, unless otherwise noted. Follow him on Twitter: @brentsobleski.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was concerned when he seemed to be stonewalled in the Senior Bowl one on ones with offensive tackles.

D Farr really likes him and he was at the Sr Bowl practices. Paraphasing he stated he is the ideal guy to set the edge and rush the passer. He was impressed with his ability to set the edge. If he can set the edge and get some pressures that should be good for the Rams. Arms are 33 3/4 Inches. He will get to rotate in. I think we see a bit of a committee approach which will help him fresh.

He handled himself well in the game. ;)

Whips Alex Cappa for a sack here:
giphy.gif

And whips Brandon Parker for a strip-sack here:
giphy.gif

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Like that he beat different guys with different moves. His get off against Cappa looks great to my untrained eye.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
No idea. I would guess it's a relative thing on the big board. His film isn't overpowering, but for round 3+ he looked damn good to my eye at least.

In midrounds the edge types you're gonna get are imperfect. But he's smooth in drops and sets the edge nicely, also has good range and open field tackling. IMO if you're lookin for a guy who might be a diamond in the rough under our staff he's on that list. Here's a vid I put up for him in the OLB thread earlier on:

View: https://youtu.be/Jou0Ak8n8T4

He looks pretty good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can anyone tell me why this dude fell to the 5th round? I had a 3rd round grade on him only because he's a little bit of a one trick pony at this point. But there's no reason for him to have fallen like that.

Scheme limited, undersized, struggles setting the edge at this point in his career, doesn't possess great speed or bend

When you take all of those things together, it makes it possible for him to fall further than he should. Still, as I've said before, I think he has a skill-set like Junior Galette's. I love his craftiness as a pass rusher and quickness. I'd also call his punch and power underrated. He's a kid who can be coached up to do it all well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
My point was...it was some measurable...like short arms....or 40 time....

article points to Price...and Donald....Donald is short for his size....but everything else he tops the charts in strength and speed.

We've all seen James Harris' videos of his strength....

Dumerville it was speed...

Size isn't the determining factor....it's speed and power.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My point was...it was some measurable...like short arms....or 40 time....

Funny that you mention arms... As that's one of the areas he's a damn freak. He's got the arm length of a taller player but the low center of gravity.

I think the key with him is how hard he works and buy-in with this staff. If those things are there the Rams will hit on him IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft/ogbonnia-okoronkwo-proving-doubters-wrong-at-senior-bowl/

MOBILE, Ala. — “I’m the best pass rusher in the draft.”

It’s understandable why Oklahoma edge defender Ogbonnia Okoronkwo doesn’t lack confidence. The 2017 Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and All-American has accumulated 164 tackles, 34.5 for loss and 21 sacks in his storied Sooners career.

Yet, despite all the accolades and production, many questioned Okoronkwo’s ability to hold up on the edge against the mammoth offensive tackles in the NFL because of his small stature. After arriving in Mobile, Alabama at the beginning of Senior Bowl week, Okoronkwo measured in at 6-foot-1 and 243 pounds with 34.5-inch arms.

When asked about the concerns about his size, Okoronkwo eloquently described why he thinks it’s actually an advantage, rather than a detriment, to his game:

“I think my size is an advantage for sure… I got the length of the 6-foot-5, 6-foot-6 guys, you know, as far as my arm length, but I don’t have to bend as low as them. I’m already low to the Earth. I feel like I got a great center of gravity. I got great bend. My speed off the edge is as good as it gets, you know. I just bring a lot to the table. Not only in pass rushing but I can drop from the line and I feel like I play the run just as well.”

Under the guidance of the Denver Broncos coaching staff at the Senior Bowl, Okoronkwo actually struggled a bit during the pass rush portion of practice on Tuesday, as he appeared hell-bent on using an inside spin move without much of a setup. Despite playing in the College Football Playoff a few weeks earlier, Okoronkwo appeared a bit rusty on Day 1.

Day 2 and 3 were much better for the Oklahoma product, as he looked like the terror off the edge that everyone had become accustomed to seeing. Even in non-pass rush drills and situations, Okoronkwo was impressive. In coverage, Okoronkwo held up well, showing the ability to turn and run with running backs on a variety of routes. In run defense drills, he used his leverage advantage to set a hard edge against offensive tackles who outweigh him by more than 60 pounds, quieting some concerns that he can’t hold up against the 300-plus-pounders on the edge in the NFL.

While his versatility is definitely a plus, Okoronkwo knows that he will make his money as a dynamic pass rusher. Hoping to run in low 4.5s or high 4.4s in the 40-yard dash, Okoronkwo is a dynamic athlete whose speed rush puts fear into opposing offensive tackles on a weekly basis. This play provides a nice glimpse into Okoronkwo’s high-octane speed rush off the edge:

On this play, Okoronkwo employs a simple two-hand swipe to defeat the left tackle’s hands and his athletic ability does the rest. He turns a tight corner through contact while reaching and stripping the quarterback with his upfield arm.

Facing the likes of Connor Williams and Jamarco Jones in games and Orlando Brown in practice (all likely top-50 picks) Okoronkwo could just rely on his speed to win:

“You can’t be one-dimensional. You got to have a bunch of tools in your belt. A lot of guys are going to try and show you different looks and especially when they know you’re a premier pass rusher, so you got to have a plan for them. I watch them all week. I know if they shoot their hands low. I know if they shoot their hands high. That’s how I determine what move I’m going to use.”

One of Okoronkwo’s best tools is his inside move, where he uses a variety of hand technique to win across the face of offensive tackles when an offensive tackle tries to sell out to stop Okoronkwo from winning with speed to the outside:

“Everybody was afraid of me flying off the edge so they would try to jump set me and stuff, so I would anticipate that, and I’m just watching the tip of the shoulder. Once the tip of the shoulder crosses my face I go inside.”

Here’s a great example of how Okoronkwo uses his inside move to generate pressure:

On this play, Okoronkwo takes four steps upfield along with a head and arm fake to sell the speed rush to the outside. The right tackle doesn’t totally bite on the fake, but his slight flinch is all Okoronkwo needs to cross the right tackle’s face and into the backfield.

In a league that is becoming more and more pass-heavy by the year, Okoronkwo’s skill set should be coveted by NFL teams, especially those that run a 3-4 defense.

Doubters be damned, Okoronkwo can win on the edge in the NFL. The Senior Bowl practices were just his latest opportunity to demonstrate why.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I had to guess which one of our picks has the best impact on our team, this guy is my choice.

I see an undersized guy with a downright freakish natural ability to play OLB, particularly in a Wade Phillips front.

I cant wait to see this guy get up to speed and help wreck QBs.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
If I had to guess which one of our picks has the best impact on our team, this guy is my choice.

I see an undersized guy with a downright freakish natural ability to play OLB, particularly in a Wade Phillips front.

I cant wait to see this guy get up to speed and help wreck QBs.

I think you're right...golly, with all the doom & gloom last week you'd think we had a bust of a draft. We actually came away with some pretty good talent for our LB corps including Obo, Kiser & Scales. Can't wait for OTA's!!!
The posts above about him being "scheme limited" to teams that employ a scheme like Wade's, makes me think about Snead's comment; maybe, once the Broncos drafted Chubb, he realized he'd have a free shot at Obo & could wait until after he addressed the OL?