With the 160 pick in the draft the Rams select Obo Okowronko DE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
YAY do they know what they're doing again?

0ap3000000925142_video_player_cp.jpg

Ogbonnia "Obo" Okoronkwo (pronounced o-BO-ny-uh o-kor-RON-kwo) was the son of Nigerian immigrants, and a defensive end recruit from Houston Alief Taylor High School before going to Oklahoma. He redshirted in 2013, then played in 11 games as a reserve, making eight tackles, three for loss, and two sacks. Okoronkwo lined up for the first nine games in 2015 (nine tackles, two sacks) before being sat down as an internal discipline. He got his chance to attack the quarterback in 2016, earning a second-team All-Big 12 selection as a junior, making 67 tackles, 12 for loss, nine sacks, three pass break-ups, and two forced fumbles. Sooners coaches sent him into the backfield again in 2017, and he shared the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award with Texas linebacker Malik Jefferson. Obo posted 76 tackles, a team-high 17.5 for loss and eight sacks, as well as two pass break-ups and three forced fumbles. He was also named second-team All-American with Jefferson by the Associated Press for his efforts.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 4-5
Overview
Okoronkwo doesn't possess the height, weight and length teams usually want on the edge and he doesn't have the bend or athletic traits to supersede his deficiencies. With that said, he's solidly built and plays with good aggression and motor. He lacks the physical and athletic traits that would make him a more dangerous NFL rusher, but he flashes some explosiveness and has enough room for improvement that he should develop into a solid NFL backup with eventual starter potential.
Strengths
  • Compact build with thick shoulders and well-built legs
  • Flashes NFL power when it's time to lock horns
  • Gets off ball and up the field with some juice
  • Attacks the pocket with natural instincts as a rusher
  • Uses hesitation moves, changes pace and alters his path to the quarterback
  • Leg drive and leverage allow him to play through soft edges at top of his rush and attack pocket from flat angle
  • Looks to play under the block if tackle over-sets
  • Lauded for growth and maturity since first coming into the program
  • Plays with decent strength at the point of attack
  • Posted impressive tackle numbers thanks to quick disengage and finish
  • Able to accelerate to the flanks to help run down the ball
Weaknesses
  • Lacks the length teams will look for from a full-time 3-4 OLB
  • Needs to improve technique and consistency setting edge
  • Needs faster punch to prevent edge blockers from owning his frame
  • Gets flattened out by quality run blockers
  • Doesn't take a stand early on
  • Tight-hipped, face up rusher
  • Beat inferior Big 12 tackles with power and effort over athletic traits as rusher
  • First rush step is a false step
  • Counter moves get thwarted when he's too tall
  • Needs to work on becoming more slippery as a rusher
  • More violent than skilled with hands
  • Lacks experience in coverage and will get lost at times

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
BOOOOMIN'!!!!!

Loving this selection

Like I said, fellas and ladies, TRUST THE PROCESS!!!

Now go get Settle and we good

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams rise in round for LB help

Rams receive:
» 2018 fifth-round pick (No. 160) -- Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, LB, Oklahoma

Broncos receive:
» 2018 sixth-round pick (No. 183)
» 2018 sixth-round pick (No. 217)

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
How come, right off the top in these descriptions we don't get height, weight , speed ? Position ?

And then go from there.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How come, right off the top in these descriptions we don't get height, weight , speed ? Position ?

And then go from there.
Because what I copy paste from those are in a different form and I don't care as much about those.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
The Rams sent two sixth-round picks, No. 183 and No. 217, to the Broncos. Okoronkwo (6’2/253) made 26 starts at end-linebacker for the Sooners, tallying 34.5 career tackles for loss, 21 sacks, and five forced fumbles en route to 2017 Big 12 Co-Defensive Player of the Year, sharing it with Texas LB Malik Jefferson. Okoronkwo’s 46 QB pressures ranked third among Big 12 edge defenders. An 86th-percentile SPARQ athlete, Okoronkwo’s combination of explosiveness and college production increase his probability of hitting. In the NFL, Okoronkwo best projects as a sub-package outside rusher. This fit with Wade Phillips is an easy one. Apr 28 - 2:55 PM

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Everything else the Rams get is a Bonus to me!!!

As scary as it is to believe I think the Rams Defense just got better today!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm happier about our OL depth.

It's crazy that our O could be better this year and not by a small margin. It's gonna have to be better just to get the same results as our opponents have improved as well.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I have to say that I was not as high on these guys as several others here, but that was when they were being considered earlier like #87 or #111.
There simply were guys I liked better in those spots (and got drafted).
...but getting these guys in the mid to late 5th AFTER addressing the the future of the OL? Yeah, I'm happy.