So let's say you're Fish and you get one more season...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the firings will make the market crazy, of course the good ones disappear fast. Another possibility is a guy like McCoy when the Chargers fire him, which looks very possible. He runs the Coryell, would be a very fast transition if he were to get the gig and he'd be ten times better than anyone Fish has had in a long time.

McCoy runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense.

Whisenhunt is probably getting consideration for HC somewhere.

There is zero chance of that happening.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
McCoy runs the Erhardt-Perkins offense.

Crap, you're right. Still, fact remains he's demonstrated an exceptional ability to function as OC. The job he did that year with Tebow was ridiculous, and clearly he taught his then-QB coach Gase very well. If he ends up being the guy I think we'd be in business.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have a highly, highly potential hall of fame talent at RB. Time to sell out completely for a proven offensive guru who can balance our O with our high end D and special teams units. We need someone who has a qualitative eye for recognizing true QB & WR talent. Someone who can recognize or at least know how to acquire someone who can recognize and galvanize OL talent. Someone who can acquire good-great blocking TE's to accommodate our RB talent.

Use these last few games to further access the strengths/weaknesses of our incumbent players and decide who our core players are at this point. Let's make the Horns relevant in December & January/February once more.

Well said jap, and I agree. However the game here is you are Fish with one season remaining, so who would you hire to achieve what you so eloquently described above?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
No thanks to that, and no thanks to another reboot.

I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't talking replace Fisher, as that isn't part of the game - I was calling for a new OC from outside the Rams circle of coaches - who, I don't know...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz has about as much chance of getting the offensive coordinator's job as Cignetti does. Nothing against Martz. I personally have always liked Whisenhunt, and if Fisher's last year is unsuccessful, maybe Kronke could make him the next head coach. And sorry, Merlin, I am still hoping that Boras and Keenum can succeed in Seatlle and San Fran. We need some momentum. Go Rams!

I know that Martz wouldn't do it but I'd kill to have him return as QB Coach. Having Martz's input on who we bring in this off-season and his coaching for that passer would be invaluable. This is the same guy that brought in all of Kurt Warner, Trent Green, Marc Bulger, and Ryan Fitzpatrick in a 6 year period.

jap

Legend
Well said jap, and I agree. However the game here is you are Fish with one season remaining, so who would you hire to achieve what you so eloquently described above?

I have stated enough times before my supreme desire to have Mad Mike bring his aggressive attacking offensive philosophy to match Greg Williams/Fisher's and John Fassel/Fisher's attacking defensive and special teams philosophies, respectively. Failing Mad Mike, Fish needs someone who he can trust to get a proven QB or at least get the most out of our present QB's. I was intrigued by Mad Mike's positive opinion on Nick Foles and wonder what he would do to reorient Nick's mind. I am especially interested in seeing how Nick or other QB prospects would fare under some of Mike's exercises to improve their timing: like having the QB's throw blindfolded to the spots the WR's are suppose to be under timing patterns.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If I'm Jeff Fisher, I finish what I started, and I really think he already has who he wants and who he should have already started with in Boras.

I ignore what the fans and media want and go all in on my brand of offense and defense, and draft players accordingly.

I tell my scouts to put together a plan to aquire the best player available at every round for the following positions: wide receiver, middle line backer, center, defensive end, quarterback and tight end (as priorities). I want the fewest long term projects.

That's basically it, solving for the remainder of our over-priced players and going with a system that I believe I can take to the playoffs in 2016.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Same as last year.

Rhett Lashlee, OC, Auburn
15141846-mmmain.jpg
If the Rams went & sought out a veteran 29 yr old QB Colin Kaepernick then this OC would be a good addition & fit.(y)

Simplify the offense & let the talent do the work. It not like we would be wasting all of our accumulated pass receiving talents. The OL is built to dig up turf and not perform finesse ballet dancers exhibition... forsure. Could run two TE's Harkey & Kendricks and let Justice Cunningam & Zack Lackey handle the FB duties. Could be fun to watch Gurley, Austin, Mason run wild.

Last edited:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I know the book is out on me and I hear the rumblings from fans and media alike. "Stuck in his ways," "game has passed me by," "career .500 Coach".

It's do or die. If I can't get this team to the playoffs next year, I'm out. Plain and simple. Time to go all in on the offense. I make guarantees to whoever it takes: Gase, Whis, McAdoo, Chud. Do what you want, bring in who you want, we'll target a player or two for you in FA - let's make a balls to the wall offense. I'll focus on defense, you call the plays.

When we make it to the Superbowl, you'll have your choice of any head coaching job you want. Hell, you just turned around the Rams, who wouldn't hire you?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams went & sought out a veteran 29 yr old QB Colin Kaepernick then this OC would be a good addition & fit.(y)

Simplify the offense & let the talent do the work. It not like we would be wasting all of our accumulated pass receiving talents. The OL is built to dig up turf and not perform finesse ballet dancers exhibition... forsure. Could run two TE's Harkey & Kendricks and let Justice Cunningam & Zack Lackey handle the FB duties. Could be fun to watch Gurley, Austin, Mason run wild.

I don't agree. I don't see the Auburn system working in the NFL. And I don't have much confidence in Lashlee.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Damn...tough one....
Still of the opinion any competent OC....WITH A NICE QB (no, not Keenum)....Can put together an offense that can complement this defense & special teams. We have Gurley...We have Tavon....add some receivers (TE & WR)...and a center...we should be fine.
So, I actually think Boras wins the job with 50+ points in the next two weeks....

FrankenRam

Starter
If Mike Pettine is fired in Cleveland, I go after John DeFilippo (Cleveland OC). Rob Boras keeps his run game coordinator title and consults with DeFilippo on the run game. I've been blown away by DeFilippo's passing attack this year. He's made the QB duo of Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel look quite good...along with making Gary Barnidge look like a top TE and Travis Benjamin look like a #1 WR.

IF they were to bring DeFilippo, or any other 'outsider' in to be OC during the offseason, I suspect there's pretty close to 0 chance Boras would choose to hang around as 'run game coordinator' for the Rams. Might accept that same position elsewhere, but I seriously doubt he would accept such a demotion here.

FrankenRam

Starter
I know the book is out on me and I hear the rumblings from fans and media alike. "Stuck in his ways," "game has passed me by," "career .500 Coach".

It's do or die. If I can't get this team to the playoffs next year, I'm out. Plain and simple. Time to go all in on the offense. I make guarantees to whoever it takes: Gase, Whis, McAdoo, Chud. Do what you want, bring in who you want, we'll target a player or two for you in FA - let's make a balls to the wall offense. I'll focus on defense, you call the plays.

When we make it to the Superbowl, you'll have your choice of any head coaching job you want. Hell, you just turned around the Rams, who wouldn't hire you?

I've been hearing basically the same story for the last couple yr.....'next yr or he's out'. Ain't happened yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got extended next yr.

FRO

Legend
I would look into Bill Lazor. He was the QB coach in Philadelphia in 2013 the year Foles was good. He also helped Tannehill improve from 2013 to 2014. He was thought to be an up and comer until he got fired this year. Miami is a mess though.

Q729

Legend
I think its a trick question, because for one I dont think Fisher will coach any differently whether hes on the 1st year of a deal, or the last. He's got that kind of stubborness to him
Secondly, unless the offense looks tragically bad in the last 2 weeks, I cant see how Fisher doesnt retain Rob Boras as OC

Maybe I'm not playing the game right.....
Nah, you pretty much nailed it. We're screwed.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I've been hearing basically the same story for the last couple yr.....'next yr or he's out'. Ain't happened yet, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got extended next yr.
I think that's all been from fans and the local talking heads though. There's really only once been real hot seat rumors and that was like 3 weeks ago. I hope to hell that a season with less than 7 wins gets him canned, and I'm not real excited about letting him skate by at 7-9, but I fully expect next season to be the line in the sand. We all know it's been a massive undertaking to get the roster built, if you don't win the division or at least go into the playoffs in convincing fashion like 11-5 wildcard, it's over.