Snead without Fisher making final decisions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After this offseason and draft and then today I think it's become evident that Snead is more than capable.

It came out in an interview that as soon as the Bills declined Watkins 5th year he started talking to them. That's a smart thing to do.

The trade to get Goff? That was him poking around at the combine and setting the table to put together a deal weeks before the draft. Also smart.

Look at the free agent activity. Was any of it really foolish? We can argue that TJohnson doesn't deserve the tag, but the Rams needed some stability. Other than that he acquitted himself well.

I've said that the most important people on an NFL teams roster are the QB, GM and owner. Then the HC.

I think Snead is proving, or actually has proven, that his online and media detractors are wrong.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I agree Les. At this point all indicators are that he's willing and capable of pairing with the staff to build a good roster. And I say pairing with the staff because clearly he uses their inputs, as he's admitted.

They gotta win. But yeah, right now, I'm very happy with his performance.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Will wait and see, I'm more than happy to give Snead the benefit of a doubt after drafting Brian Quick and Greg Robinson considering that he's savvy in moving across the draft board to get optimal value (in hindsight) and working with the coach's skillset preferences (i.e going from Fisher's low-floor, high-ceiling prospects to McVay's high football-IQ prospects)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree Les. At this point all indicators are that he's willing and capable of pairing with the staff to build a good roster. And I say pairing with the staff because clearly he uses their inputs, as he's admitted.

They gotta win. But yeah, right now, I'm very happy with his performance.

He's always been aggressive and willing to make a deal which IMO is obviously a great trait for a person in his position.

And yeah you have a good point he likes consensus and talks to staff.

Something tells me with Fisher he had far, far less latitude. That's actually becoming pretty clear I'd say.

Today's deal is risky because Watkins has been dinged up and missed a lot of games the last two years, but he didn't overpay in the deal which was smart.

If Watkins stays healthy and is resigned then this is a good deal.

Let's see if he and Demoff, of course its mostly on Demoff, can get him signed to a new contract. Watkins is what 26 or 27 or whatever.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm very happy with what Snead's done so far. He orchestrated the RGMe trade, he orchestrated the Goff trade, he picked quite a few fine players in the later rounds and as UDFAs, his signings this offseason have been good, and he's got excellent synergy with McVay.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He's always been aggressive and willing to make a deal which IMO is obviously a great trait for a person in his position.

And yeah you have a good point he likes consensus and talks to staff.

Something tells me with Fisher he had far, far less latitude. That's actually becoming pretty clear I'd say.

Today's deal is risky because Watkins has been dinged up and missed a lot of games the last two years, but he didn't overpay in the deal which was smart.

Let's see if he and Demoff, of course its mostly on Demoff, can get him signed to a new contract. Watkins is what 26 or 27 or whatever.

Watkins is actually only twenty-four years old. Hell of a trade, even though it sucks losing Gaines, being a Mizzou fan and all. Guess I'll have to cheer for Penton making the squad now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

If he has an impact season for us, which is very possible, they will easily be able to tag him next year. Tru comes off, and a one year tag is no big deal since there are no other required options that I can see. They try to get AD signed early to a non-cap killing deal, and Ogletree too, but if all goes well they should have a tag open for Watkins if they need it.

So barring him being injured I think we have him for at least a couple seasons. Because I do think he is an excellent fit in this offense and both sides are going to benefit.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Just tell me this doesn't have anything to do with you two sharing the same first name of Les.

If that's true.... I'm with you. :D

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hell of a trade, even though it sucks losing Gaines, being a Mizzou fan and all.
Cheers to you and your attitude and cheers to Gaines.
To Gaine's!
A guy who seemed to give it all, and showed nothing but guts and talent.

UtahRam

Rookie
After this offseason and draft and then today I think it's become evident that Snead is more than capable.

It came out in an interview that as soon as the Bills declined Watkins 5th year he started talking to them. That's a smart thing to do.

The trade to get Goff? That was him poking around at the combine and setting the table to put together a deal weeks before the draft. Also smart.

Look at the free agent activity. Was any of it really foolish? We can argue that TJohnson doesn't deserve the tag, but the Rams needed some stability. Other than that he acquitted himself well.

I've said that the most important people on an NFL teams roster are the QB, GM and owner. Then the HC.

I think Snead is proving, or actually has proven, that his online and media detractors are wrong.

Snead hasn't proven anything yet. LOL

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I'm still reserving my judgement on Snead until the conclusion of this season. If you look over what he has done since 2012, it is largely unimpressive. The only reason he still has a job is because the past failures were all pinned on Fisher. The drafting has been questionable thus far.

He has shown the ability to make moves at will but it's the results of these moves that are what matters. If Goff blossoms in the new offense, the recent draft class shows promise, and we are able to get production out of Watkins/keep him here then he would be looking like a solid GM. If Goff doesn't develop, the recent rookie class doesn't improve the roster, and Watkins gets hurt or leaves then Snead should be packing his bags.

The front office has a lot to prove this year in contract negotiations. With Donald, Trumaine, Olgetree, and now Watkins still needing to be extended, the front office needs to be the ones making moves.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
After listening to his interviews/pressers this year, I'm really beginning to like Snead. He's a very clear-thinking, insightful individual. He never seems stumped, awkward, or unprepared by any question, so he's obviously thought it out in advance. Maybe hanging out with McVay's been good for him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After listening to his interviews/pressers this year, I'm really beginning to like Snead. He's a very clear-thinking, insightful individual. He never seems stumped, awkward, or unprepared by any question, so he's obviously thought it out in advance. Maybe hanging out with McVay's been good for him.
Getting rid of Fisher has been great for him IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

I can't fully blame the former coach/GM combo. They also made good player moves, but shit happened and nothing worked out, whether it be freak injuries or lack of development or off the field issues.

Example: Jake Long/Scott Wells = Andrew Whitworth/John Sullivan. Only difference is the positions the most recent injuried/healthy players are.

I hope this current staff they will have some better luck.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Too soon for me to praise Snead. I want to see a few years of his drafts without Fisher. I have always liked his aggressiveness, but he rolled the dice on Wagner, and he wanted Quick. Wagner would have looked great playing inside for the Rams and possibly would have allowed to take the trade with Minnesota instead of taking Tree. Warford would have been a nice addition with one of the three picks from the Vikings. Wagner not playing with Seattle would have helped too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm very happy with what Snead's done so far. He orchestrated the RGMe trade, he orchestrated the Goff trade, he picked quite a few fine players in the later rounds and as UDFAs, his signings this offseason have been good, and he's got excellent synergy with McVay.

His ability to find street free agents and late rounders that contribute is fantastic. It really is..........and Gaines is proof, he was a big part of the deal for Watkins and he was a 6th round selection.

If he has an impact season for us, which is very possible, they will easily be able to tag him next year.

Off the top of your head do you know what that number would be?

Snead hasn't proven anything yet. LOL

I disagree, look at what he has done just this offseason!

I think he's always been like that. He's a good interview even when he spends 20 minutes saying very, very little.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Off the top of your head do you know what that number would be?

Quarterback: $21.268m
Running back: $12.120m
Receiver: $15.682m
Tight end: $9.780m
Offensive line: $14.271m
Defensive end: $16.934m
Defensive tackle: $13.387m
Linebacker: $14.550m
Cornerback: $14.212
Safety: $10.896m
Kicker/punter: $4.835m