Should the Rams give RGIII a shot?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

swmizzou83

Starter
I really believe that this guy has the talent to play in the NFL. Maybe a change of scenery could help him become a legitimate NFL starting QB.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
The question is doing this in place of what else? Rams are likely to roll into next year with 3 QBs (not counting some camp arms). You aren't dumping Mannion, 3rd round pick in year 2...nope. You are likely keeping Foles or Keenum....Foles is a big hit if cut while K is a (restricted) free agent (but likely a low cost one). Scary as it sounds likely to have both around next year....but assume just 1 is here.

Are you signing RG3 instead of drafting QB (say rounds 1-3)?
Are you signing RG3 over a going the vet route (I think this list will be thin when all said or done)?

How much and how long you willing to go on him - 1 year prove it contract.....what if the market is 3 years with some upfront money (say something like we just gave Foles)?

Myself - would think about it if we aren't drafting a QB (coaches need to have real faith in Mannion then) and we can get him short term or at least no long term dollars tied to the signing if it doesn't work out.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Not unless they plan on changing the offensive style significantly this offseason - and they spent a bunch of draft picks already on a power running scheme. I don't think RG3 would fit in there particularly well. Course, I've been wrong before. But I'd rather the Rams stay the course, and try to get a capable pocket passer, rather than try to get RG3 to fit somehow.

FRO

Legend
I'd take RGIII along with a first round pick at QB. I'm taking the all of the above approach to fixing the position. Keenum and Foles aren't the long term answer. We need to add a veteran and a highly drafted rookie with Mannion.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No. If they sign RGIII then they have to start him or make him the backup. So who is the starter? Do they keep Keenum, or sign a second Free agent QB. Then if that guy goes down your looking at playing RGIII as your starter. Is anyone comfortable thinking he could be the Rams starter next year, if their is an injury to the original starter? I am not.

I would hope the Rams have a better plan than that. If they didn't have Mannion waiting in the wings and it was a cheap third QB option, then ok but from what I read about the skins team not liking him and his selfishness and such, I think it is best just to forget about it...........and this is coming from a guy who wanted the Rams to draft RGIII and trade Bradford.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My heart is telling me to avoid RG3 and Kaep at all costs.

But my brain is telling me that we need to upgrade our QB position and all options should remain open.

Draft
Trade
FA

So I'm not gonna reject anything with respect to possibly improving ourselves at QB.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I'd take RGIII along with a first round pick at QB. I'm taking the all of the above approach to fixing the position. Keenum and Foles aren't the long term answer. We need to add a veteran and a highly drafted rookie with Mannion.

How do you divide reps in this scheme?

fancents86

Starter
Hell yeah let's bring him in. I mean we already have enough drama on this team as it is. Let's bring in some dude who is better at alienating himself from his teammates than he is at playing football. Maybe we will get our own reality tv show as well.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd sign RG3 over most of the other options on the FA market (Daniel is my lead guy, but RG3 is younger and very, very talented). Then I'd cut Foles, re-sign Keenum and let RG3, Mannion and Keenum duke it out in preseason and camp. I believe I've made my opinion about drafting a QB other than Jared Goff known, but in case I haven't, I wouldn't draft a QB unless you can go up and get Goff.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If (and it's a BIG if) RG3 can become a player similar to Cam Newton/Russell Wilson, then yeah I would look at him. However, Fisher has never bought into a true running QB. He needs to become a better all-around QB and not rely so much on his feet to make plays. But the price has to be right, and I think it would cost too much because there are other teams just wanting to get their hands on him which will drive his market price up and be too much for us to afford.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
NO. The guys mechanics are awful, is always taking big hits, and can't throw to wide open receivers.

If you guys thought Nick Foles was bad you'll regret ever asking for RG3.

As HOF QB Fran Tarkenton said,

"He is a terrible passer, has no accuracy, he doesn't understand the offense, he doesn't read defenses, and he has no discipline. When he is supposed to take a 3-yard drop, he takes a 1-yard drop; if he is supposed to take a 5-yard drop, it’s a 3-yard drop. There's no discipline and understanding."

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
My short version answer is to drop Foles (money is spent on him anyway and he's only a QB #2 or #3 moving forward )
Drop Foles.
Give RG3 a chance. He has tons of mobility.

RG3
Keenum
Mannion

(the above decision is valid only if there really is no chance of landing Goff or Lynch)

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Hell yeah let's bring him in. I mean we already have enough drama on this team as it is. Let's bring in some dude who is better at alienating himself from his teammates than he is at playing football. Maybe we will get our own reality tv show as well.

Not only would his drama be a pain, but he would almost certainly buy the Rams a ticket into Hard Knocks...If not in time for next year, then certainly '17 if the Rams are still a possible forced option... No thanks...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
A Question just filled with Irony don't ya think. From his point I am sure he wants a chance to start, We have that part covered. Next he will want a pretty high priced contract maybe a shorter term and incentive laden prove it, but still costly.
From our standpoint he is another QB with injury issues. He is an inconsistent passer which is a big concern for me. The positive is he is a gifted talent who if humbled by his career direction so far could be a real steal given the stars align for he and his future team. If that team were to be the Rams I would certainly be cautiously optimistic and excited about the potential he has.

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
tumblr_m1rkum8XXW1rqfhi2o1_500.gif