Rumor Alert: Kroenke's Los Angeles Stadium is For Rams and New Soccer Team, L.A. Gunners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey guys, sorry about the post. I hate the debating about STL to LA kind of stuff, but I saw the link on FB and it kind of worried me. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it, it sounds like the website doesn't sound like a credible source?!?! Would you guys agree?! Not too familiar with Riverfront Times.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Shane's opening salvo in that article is fantastic......basically he says "bitches don't know what they are talkin' about"

...............emphasis mine.............

Whether it’s because of the flimsy reporting that often occurs regarding the St. Louis Rams’ stadium situation and relocation prospects, a lack of homework by some on the aforementioned issues or a myriad of other potential factors, misunderstandings run all too rampant in regard to a plethora of items concerning the Rams’ long-term future headquarters.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Just going off the article. "LA already had a culture crossed soccer team, and it's not going well."

Not sure if they're talking about the Galaxy. It makes sense being Soccer isn't nearly as popular as Baseball and Basketball.

No that's between a soccer team in LA and another in Mexico. That team has no funding, so its no mystery why its not going well. Nobody knows it even exists.

Galaxy is doing well. All major LA teams are doing quite well in fact. Dodgers were 6th in attendance for MLB, LA Kings are 2nd in the NHL with a whopping 110.7%. Lakers have 99.5 and clippers have 100.8 for NBA, and the Galaxy are also at the top of attendance figures for MLS as well as being the 2nd most valuable team.

Sports are going very strongly in LA right now.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Grass wouldn't be an issue at all in LA. We have great grass for the LA Galaxy and the Dodgers. I mean shit, if LA can put an outdoor ice rink in the middle of Dodger Stadium for an hockey game, getting good grass for a football team will be a snap.

Also Seattle has the Seahawks and their soccer team share their stadium. Most of the soccer season is over the summer, ending in October too.
Small point but Seattle's field is not real grass. I actually had to look that one up because I thought so too.

Of course that means their soccer team is playing on field turf - not pristine real grass.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No that's between a soccer team in LA and another in Mexico. That team has no funding, so its no mystery why its not going well. Nobody knows it even exists.

Galaxy is doing well. All major LA teams are doing quite well in fact. Dodgers were 6th in attendance for MLB, LA Kings are 2nd in the NHL with a whopping 110.7%. Lakers have 99.5 and clippers have 100.8 for NBA, and the Galaxy are also at the top of attendance figures for MLS as well as being the 2nd most valuable team.

Sports are going very strongly in LA right now.

And so did the Rams for most of their time in LA. I find that to be one of the more dubious arguments in the whole thing. I can get into the history of how things went in LA before the move if anyone really wants. But suffice it to say that if Stan right now moved the Rams into a baseball stadium and then traded away all the top young talent while trying to jerk all the other players around on salaries while producing teams like St Louis has seen the five years previous to Fish coming on board, what would your attendance be like? Despite what many of you may think of Georgia, she with the help of Shaw, was a huge leach on the neck of the Rams franchise.

I only bring this up because I used to go to Rams games and saw the support. Sure they couldn't sell out the Coliseum with its 108,000 seats in a Roman style setting but who could? So then they moved them to arguably the worst "football" venue I have ever seen and they still drew well while they put decent teams on the field.

The Dodgers have always been near the top of the league in attendance. Pretty hard to get a Lakers ticket and getting hard to come by a Clippers ticket as well.

Fans will be there if the Rams move back. Please don't let that sway your thinking when it comes time to do your part in keeping them in St Louis.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Small point but Seattle's field is not real grass. I actually had to look that one up because I thought so too.

Of course that means their soccer team is playing on field turf - not pristine real grass.

Interesting you figure they would have real grass. Maybe the rain makes it too soggy?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting you figure they would have real grass. Maybe the rain makes it too soggy?
Probably - but I actually think it is the short daylight periods in the late fall and winter. They do amazing things with drainage these days. But you need sunlight to produce roots. Ah shit. My landscaping days are coming back out. Never mind. It's too wet and dark - how 'bout that? :D

PhxRam

Hey guys, sorry about the post. I hate the debating about STL to LA kind of stuff, but I saw the link on FB and it kind of worried me. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it, it sounds like the website doesn't sound like a credible source?!?! Would you guys agree?! Not too familiar with Riverfront Times.

No harm brother. Post away.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Either way it doesn't seem to hurt their soccer team any, so it wouldnt be any issue in LA either.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Okay, I haven't made any bones about wanting the Rams back in L.A. but it makes a lot more sense to me that if SK wanted to move an offshoot of his soccer team to the U.S., he'd move it to St. Louis. They don't have a team right now and it would just improve the sports culture there, wouldn't it?

PhxRam

Maybe there IS some truth to this..

Rams Owner May Bring Soccer to Inglewood Site
By DEBORAH CROWE Friday, February 7, 2014
Stan Kroenke may be bringing a soccer team called L.A. Gunners to the 60-acre site he recently purchased in Inglewood, according to British news reports.

The land purchase by Kroenke – who has majority stakes in the National Football League’s St. Louis Rams and Major League Soccer’s Colorado Rapids – led to speculation that he could bring the Rams to a stadium there.

But since then, British tabloids Metro and Sun reported he is planning to buy a new license to create a soccer team based in Los Angeles. The reports did not mention any plans for football teams at the site, so Inglewood soccer could come in addition to or instead of an NFL franchise.

The LA Gunners would be a sister team to London’s Arsenal, according to the reports. Kroenke also owns a controlling stake in that team, Metro says. Kroenke’s organization has not commented on the reports.

Inglewood has long been considered as a viable site for an NFL stadium, so when news broke about Kroenke’s purchase of the site last week, speculation was high that he might be looking to move the Rams here. A Kroenke spokesman told the Business Journal that his boss was looking at “all options” for the site, where Wal-Mart Stores Inc. had once planned to build two retail stores.

NBCSports.com columnist Mike Prindiville questioned the reports because the Los Angeles area already is home to two MLS franchises, LA Galaxy and Chivas USA. But he also said Kroenke might take over and revamp Chivas.

http://www.labusinessjournal.com/news/2014/feb/07/rams-owner-may-bring-soccer-inglewood-site/

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Again, why not do this in St. Louis?

Easy answer is popularity of the sport. There are probably more soccer fans in the LA area than there are people in STL metro.

I read other speculation that the soccer team there, Chivas I think it is, could be purchased and is in dire need of resurrection as they have been ignored and declining for a long time. Maybe he is going to make a play for them, or has been talking to them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One other thing that should be mentioned. He may be looking at building something like he has in Denver where his soccer team and lacrosse team play. He also rents that venue out to TONS of other events.

For those of you that don't know what it is here is a link.

http://www.dickssportinggoodspark.com/#