Rumor Alert: Kroenke's Los Angeles Stadium is For Rams and New Soccer Team, L.A. Gunners

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFan14

Starter
http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/02/kroenke_rams_los_angeles_gunners_soccer.php

Whispers in the British media say St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke wants to turn his newly-purchased land in Los Angeles into a stadium for both kinds of football.
The billionaire sports mogul wants to move the Rams back to California and start a Major League Soccer team called the Los Angeles Gunners, according to an anonymous tipster quoted in The Sun. That 60 acre plot of land Kroenke recently purchased would be the site of a 75,000-seat stadium.

Stan Kroenke.
Living up to the nickname Silent Stan, Kroenke hasn't said a word since declaring to the NFL that he bought land suited for a stadium. The purchase set off a frenzy in St. Louis, the city Kroenke could leave if he doesn't get the millions of dollars he wants to build a new stadium.
It's not too hard to believe Kroenke is eyeing a new soccer team. He owns Arsenal Football Club, an English Premier League team, and the Colorado Rapids in the MLS.

See also: Stan Kroenke: 92nd Wealthiest American and 10th Largest Landowner

The L.A. Gunners would be a sister-team of sorts to Arsenal. But Los Angeles already has a culture-crossover soccer team, and it's not going well.

Chivas USA, the American sister club to Mexico's popular Chivas de Guadalajara, struggles to attract fans to games or land a television deal. The team's crowning achievement was reaching the conference semifinals in 2007. When David Beckham played for Los Angeles' other MLS team, the Galaxy, his $4 million salary was larger than the payroll for all Chivas' players combined.

See also: If We're Such a Soccer Town, Why Doesn't St. Louis Have a Major League Soccer Team?

The stadium wouldn't be the first football-soccer combo. The Seattle Seahawks and the Seattle Sounders share Centurylink Field. Atlanta is redesigning their football stadium to include soccer, and they don't even have an MLS team yet. On the flip side, Tottenham Hotspur Football Club in England wants to build a stadium to attract an NFL team.

The Sun's report says plans for a football/football stadium in L.A. are in their infancy, but the tipster said the name L.A. Gunners was a "tip of the hat" to Arsenal's nickname. (British media are more liberal with using unnamed sources than the typical American news outlet.)

RamsFan14

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I'm going to puke... Idk what to make of this...

tonyl711

Starter
lol, now were to believe that Stan is telling them in the UK what his plans are? get real.

V3

Hall of Fame
lol, now were to believe that Stan is telling them in the UK what his plans are? get real.

Kroenke has associates that work for him in the UK. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think they could find a source over there. You just have to verify how credible the source is and I'm not seeing that so, like most articles that cover this topic, you can't really draw anything from this.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Kroenke isn't help silence the bring the RAMS back to LA fans that's for sure.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The man hasn't said a word yet everyone "knows" what his intentions are.

tonyl711

Starter
yeah he wont talk in the press here, but he will in the UK? don't think so.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
All i can say is that, being from the UK myself, if this is being reported by the Sun, it's a load of s**t. They are a joke of a newspaper, who have been known to just make up stories to fill the pages. Ignore this guys, it's nothing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All i can say is that, being from the UK myself, if this is being reported by the Sun, it's a load of s**t. They are a joke of a newspaper, who have been known to just make up stories to fill the pages. Ignore this guys, it's nothing.
That's the impression I get.

And the L.A. "Gunners"? Yeesh. That has protest written all over it.

iced

The LA Gunners... that's like the Tampa Silverfoxes, Malibu Gold Diggers, and the Penn State Priests

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Having only been to the UK once in my life, for a whopping week...I agree.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The LA Gunners... that's like the Tampa Silverfoxes, Malibu Gold Diggers, and the Penn State Priests

Beckham is starting a new soccer team down in South Beach. That news was just announced yesterday...

Miami Milfs

?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Beckham is starting a new soccer team down in South Beach. That news was just announced yesterday...

Miami Milfs

?
Or, maybe he's joining Kroenke's new team dubbed "The Golden State Geezers".

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the impression I get.

And the L.A. "Gunners"? Yeesh. That has protest written all over it.

you know that the team he owns are called the gunners, don't you?