Relocation Approved, Does This Raise FA Interest?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TXRams86

The Infamous
First off, I want to say that I feel for loyal Rams fans in the city of St. Louis. Admittedly, it was the team in St. Louis that brought me being a Rams fan so the feeling hits close to home for me as well. But this thread isn't about the loss of a team in St. Louis.

Now that the team is heading to LA, what does this do for the team in terms of FA interest? The first person that came to mind was Janoris Jenkins. The dude has been expressing his love for California for years; his reasons are his reasons. Now that the team is moving there, does this give him more incentive to re-sign with the Rams?

Looking at the bigger picture, does this move give other FA's more of an incentive to play for the Rams now?

It's well known that California has some insane taxes and the cost of living can be pretty pricey as well. Does the idea of playing in a shiny new stadium and having access to a beach every weekend entice players enough to choose the Rams over a team like the Steelers who are polar opposites in terms of location and climate.

Thoughts?

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
well, as an LA native and Lakers fan.... The Lakers and their current joke of a team hasnt done much by way of attracting FA's. BUt you can't deny the allure of playing in SoCal. I'm sure that can only help

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I had the exact same thoughts as you. I've been feeling that Jenks will leave, now I feel he'll be back for sure. And I'm pumped for that. I do think that the team instantly becomes more attractive to FAs. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Janoris has already tweeted his excitement so yes. And others would love that market. Second biggest market in the world

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It absolutely does, exciting times imo

I agree that these are exciting times.
California is on my list of states that I would LEAST like to live in though, so the feeling is bittersweet.
However, if this move helps lure in top talent and gets us to the Superbowl, I can't complain.

TXRams86

The Infamous
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have expanded this to include potential coaching candidates and front office personnel as well.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
You beat me to starting this thread. I wasn't sure I wanted to start it because...too soon? But it's a question.

I know that big cities often win out over areas with no State Income tax because the alternative branding opportunities outweigh the tax liabilities. Plus, guys from big cities get more votes and more attention when they play well.

A few names came to mind.

When it comes to our own FA, I think it will make it easier to retain Janoris Jenkins. For the same money the Rams will offer, whatever that will be, this means he's playing in a top tier market now. That will make a HUGE difference.

Secondly, you know that whether it's Trujo or Barron or Fairley, guys are going to want to be in LA and while they may not take a discount, couple that with guys love playing for Fisher and it will be a real thing.

As for the FA market, YOU KNOW every agent of a QB changed their minds about the Rams. The Rams are now a MAJOR market team with a young, Top 5 Defense, a Top 3 RB and a young OL that doesn't give up sacks that only needs a QB who gets the ball out fast to have a chance to win a Super Bowl (we all know the Rams need more than that... like a few more WRs and a TE to replace Cook).... So... It was kinda outlandish to think of someone like Drew Brees coming to the St. Louis Rams... But the Los Angeles Rams? With all of the commercial opportunities? I could totally see that. He clearly wants to take advantage of the commercial opportunities out there, he's a GREAT guy, the fans love him...heck he's ripped my heart out as an opposing fan and I dunno if there's a guy on another team that I like more.

So, yeah... This has the potential to be a game changer with respect to retaining our FAs and attracting FAs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I should have expanded this to include potential coaching candidates and front office personnel as well.

So staring next year, I feel Stanford Head Coach David Shaw will now be in play!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta say, out of respect for the St Louis guys who are heartbroken, I have a hard time posting about the upside to today's announcement.

Cory

UDFA
well, as an LA native and Lakers fan.... The Lakers and their current joke of a team hasnt done much by way of attracting FA's. BUt you can't deny the allure of playing in SoCal. I'm sure that can only help

No one in basketball is gonna give up prime years to sign with a crappy team. When we got Shaq, we were a 50+ win playoff team. People need to stop thinking that we are just gonna get free agents. Football may be a little different due to the current talent level we already have on the team.

jjab360

Legend
The flip side is that not only are FAs going to want to come to LA, Fisher is going to feel pressured now to sign big names to get the city of LA excited.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
The flip side is that not only are FAs going to want to come to LA, Fisher is going to feel pressured now to sign big names to get the city of LA excited.
Fisher will actually be on a genuine hot seat after this year for the first time. Until now mediocrity had suited Stan because every loss makes leaving earlier. He's got a coach with relocation experience. After this year that credit is used up. Stan will have to start fielding a winning team to further improve his value. If the coach is ferric in the way I imagine he'll be gone.

We'll get a few more prime time games this year I imagine...

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think it hurts, but as to how much it helps, hard to say.. It's probably still going to mostly come down to money and length. The LA Kings have a great team, and they still have some issues with attracting big name free agents... However it's better to build from your prospect pool in my opinion.

Speeps

Starter
Not only will we get more free agents, our current players are about to become superstars. Nationally herald superstars. Can they handle it?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
First, as a born la rams fan who was 20 years into it when they left, you'll get over it. I am actually a bigger fan of the RAMS because of what they did in St louis. I know some will knee jerk into saying they won't be a fan or the owner is the devil, but trust me, come draft time, you'll be more interested in who they pick than having sex with your lady.

And if someone told you you could take your measly billion dollar company and turn into almost twice that in two years, don't pretend that you'd say no, especially given all the peripheral aspects of an LA team.

I haven't missed a rams game since the Sunday ticket was invented and I've passed up long term employment opportunities to do so, so even though I can't really say how everyone will feel come opening kickoff, I would bet we'll all still be here cheering them on.

oh yeah, and fucking trade for drew brees and get the best wr in the draft!

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Gurley and Tavon are gonna shine. I BEEN saying Fisher acts like he's esteemed and cool and calm like a Phil Jax, but the guy hasn't won jack. Th LA media gonna eat his ass alive if he tries to pull the "we'll fix it" shit week after week. Gonna be all good my Rams brothers.