Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Truly no way to know if we overpayed till we see him play.

On the other hand, we sincerely underpaid for Puka... so there's that.
Yeah, let's say the Rams needed to trade up 5 spots to draft Aaron Donald and gave up an extra 1st rd pick to do it. It would be a big overpay, but was it really?

Now I am not saying Fiske is AD, but if he turns out to be an anchor on that DL for the next 8 yrs or so, being a consistent disruptive force that teams have to gameplan for, then it would have been well worth it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

We absolutely know they overpaid, based on multiple different ways people assess values of draft picks. And when I say "draft picks," I literally mean the pick at it's slot in the draft.

Value, is something completely different and no on has any idea how much value any team got out of the draft at this point.
That's why I had this line in my post:

"The Rams have earned enough surplus value in the draft last year with their picks and with various comp picks to make me not give one shit that they traded up as much as they did for Fiske."

I think fans arguing about whether the Rams overpaid for the pick are just being triggered by the word and are defending something that doesn't need to be defended.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, let's say the Rams needed to trade up 5 spots to draft Aaron Donald and gave up an extra 1st rd pick to do it. It would be a big overpay, but was it really?

Now I am not saying Fiske is AD, but if he turns out to be an anchor on that DL for the next 8 yrs or so, being a consistent disruptive force that teams have to gameplan for, then it would have been well worth it.
You're talking about player value versus pick value.

They're different things and that's what I think people are missing, so they're getting hung-up on whether the Rams "overpaid" for the pick.

They did. But, in life, business.. and football.. sometimes you have to overpay to get the asset that is more valuable to you, than to others.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We absolutely know they overpaid, based on multiple different ways people assess values of draft picks. And when I say "draft picks," I literally mean the pick at it's slot in the draft.

Value, is something completely different and no on has any idea how much value any team got out of the draft at this point.
That's why I had this line in my post:

"The Rams have earned enough surplus value in the draft last year with their picks and with various comp picks to make me not give one shit that they traded up as much as they did for Fiske."

I think fans arguing about whether the Rams overpaid for the pick are just being triggered by the word and are defending something that doesn't need to be defended.
Yeah, i think we really in the weeds on semantics here with ever diminishing value in the dialogue.

Honestly, it's not really that big of a deal... right now.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I have heard a couple of NFL experts say that the only reason that Braden Fiske didn’t go in the first round was due to his shorter arms. So the Rams really got a steal.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What about AD? He only cost us 2 1st round picks. Bargain. I count the GRap pick because if the Rams only had one pick they were taking OT and GRap had zero value for the Rams. So his pick gets tacked onto AD.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have heard a couple of NFL experts say that the only reason that Braden Fiske didn’t go in the first round was due to his shorter arms. So the Rams really got a steal.

Age is another reason; Fiske is twenty-four. Same age Kobie Turner was. But he (and Newton) should've been first-round picks over some of the players chosen, in my honest opinion.

Even with the trade-up, I feel we got a hell of a player and a possible steal - and we still have three picks in the first three rounds next year to play with.

muggmeister

Rookie
I see 4 Rams, Young, Verse, Turner and Fiske all having 8+ sacks this year. Mainly because the other team will be throwing 40+ times every game to try to keep up with our offense. Optimism can be contagious. We will be forcing teams into desperation with our balance attack thereby shortening the game forcing teams to play an unscheduled game. Already pre-ordered my Sunday Ticket and can't wait til the games begin.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I see 4 Rams, Young, Verse, Turner and Fiske all having 8+ sacks this year. Mainly because the other team will be throwing 40+ times every game to try to keep up with our offense. Optimism can be contagious. We will be forcing teams into desperation with our balance attack thereby shortening the game forcing teams to play an unscheduled game. Already pre-ordered my Sunday Ticket and can't wait til the games begin.
Him much did you pay for Sunday Ticket if that’s ok ask.There is a deal going on right now,and was wondering if it’s worth it ? For me it probably would be.Have MLB,NBa & hardly use it .The NFL is a different story.Still probably not use it as much ? Truth would use it more to rewatch The Rams games that I’d dvr anyways.

BTW - have a vision of The Rams front getting after it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, i think we really in the weeds on semantics here with ever diminishing value in the dialogue.

Honestly, it's not really that big of a deal... right now.
I hear you.

I just think it’s actually pretty easy to be clear on this stuff.

Number one rule? Grades right now mean jack shit… so any idea on the value of the player is purely bullshit.

Perceived value? Lolz..

You have a process for building your roster for your team and stick to it.

The rest is noise.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Age is another reason; Fiske is twenty-four. Same age Kobie Turner was. But he (and Newton) should've been first-round picks over some of the players chosen, in my honest opinion.

Even with the trade-up, I feel we got a hell of a player and a possible steal - and we still have three picks in the first three rounds next year to play with.

What he brings in The IT FACTOR will be Priceless.I won’t go all Crazy on my thoughts.Just should be FUN to watch The Rams The next 3 years.

The 2023 Draft Class really changed the atmosphere & The 2024 will shot through The Blackhole(Legil)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Orhorhoro and Sweat went off the board. Fiske was probably the last remaining DT in that starter tier on McSnead’s board. DT is a big hole due to AD retirement. So we had to overpay a bit to get a quality DT. Im glad we did.
I can’t believe Orhorhoro was drafted that early. Total reach imo. Sweat, with dui?

I’m glad the Rams are putting a premium on character and intensity

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Braden Fiske - playing right DT in a 2i, where Kobie played last year. .. a stutter step and then power to a pull or swim. Technique is not picture perfect but gets job done. Is the Pitt LG any good?

Verse with a nice speed chop, too

View: https://x.com/53_jim70721/status/1784107930293326183

With a bit of coaching and practice this guy could really turn into something. Most of his coaching came from CMU. Let Goff get ahold of him.

It would be pretty cool if AD made some camp visits to show some of these new kids some moves.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Orhorhoro and Sweat went off the board. Fiske was probably the last remaining DT in that starter tier on McSnead’s board. DT is a big hole due to AD retirement. So we had to overpay a bit to get a quality DT. Im glad we did.

Newton got drafted around that area as well. I'm fine with overpaying for the last remaining elite player on the board, and it's a far better pick than the Titans with Sweat.
What he brings in The IT FACTOR will be Priceless.I won’t go all Crazy on my thoughts.Just should be FUN to watch The Rams The next 3 years.

The 2023 Draft Class really changed the atmosphere & The 2024 will shot through The Blackhole(Legil)

Damn straight, So. I can't wait for the preseason to start!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hear you.

I just think it’s actually pretty easy to be clear on this stuff.

Number one rule? Grades right now mean jack shit… so any idea on the value of the player is purely bullshit.

Perceived value? Lolz..

You have a process for building your roster for your team and stick to it.

The rest is noise.
Sort of interesting,but what’s the price of having a RDT/ De & RDE/OLB starting the next FOUR seasons who already play well next to each other & will only push each other to get better.

Then add Byron Young & Kobie Turner on the other side,allow Young to grow as that OLB who will have more freedom to rush The QB,but still have the responsibility in coverage ? Then
think about The different Rotations keeping The DT’s Fresh!!

Jared Verse is going to be a hard player to take off the Field,because he has that Size & Speed to play DE.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The vast majority of the draft picks are older this year just the nature of the covid years. It'll normalize though then again the NIL money might keep it this way.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
With a bit of coaching and practice this guy could really turn into something. Most of his coaching came from CMU. Let Goff get ahold of him.

It would be pretty cool if AD made some camp visits to show some of these new kids some moves.
Yes - Giff Smith plus AC Carter is in the mix.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The concept is simple -- a more even trade, using any trade chart you like. I'm sure one could come up with a dozen different combinations of pick swaps that would provide a relatively equal value on a trade chart.

Based on any trading value system you prefer, can you make the case that it was an even trade?
The Rich Hill trade chart is the most recognized as it was put together by studying NFL draft trades over the last 9 years.

The Rams gave up 177 points to get 152 pts according to that chart. Consider that the Panthers may have liked a player at that spot. They probably needed more incentive to move back.