Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
When you identify the guy you want, you pay to get him.

Stafford was an overpay. But you know what, he was worth it.

Von Miller was an overpay, but worth it.

If he was their guy (and it was certainly a position of need), you don’t worry about a little pick compensation. There are guys in the past drafts you miss in hoping he gets to you. Ultimately you look & feel stupid losing that guy because you cheaped out.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Why do people feel the need to deny the obvious, which every single reporter and objective observer is pointing out, which is that the Rams overpaid?

If you want to argue that you're fine with Les overpaying, then say that. Instead of denying the undeniable.
Rams did overpay. By all three charts I am aware of --- just to varying degrees - one more than others.

My take is that we don't know where Rams value him. I can only guess ... but agree facts are Rams overpaid. What is in dispute id the significance of it.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I don't believe Rams overpaid. How often does a late 2nd or even 3rd round pick work out?

Let's look at the history or Rams 2nd and 3rd round picks. Vast majority are busts. Yes I know Kupp was a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If he was their guy (and it was certainly a position of need), you don’t worry about a little pick compensation. There are guys in the past drafts you miss in hoping he gets to you. Ultimately you look & feel stupid losing that guy because you cheaped out.

Exactly. I still remember how we tried to do that with Bobby Wagner and he became a thorn in our side for the better part of a decade while we missed out on what he could have given us.

EDIT: To add, quibbling over draft chart points in a situation like this is the classic case of penny-wise, pound-foolish.

People praising Carolina's GM and bashing Les for this - would you want to trade GMs with the Panthers? Count me as a hard no on that one.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Rams did overpay. By all three charts I am aware of --- just to varying degrees - one more than others.

My take is that we don't know where Rams value him. I can only guess ... but agree facts are Rams overpaid. What is in dispute id the significance of it.
Plus the Rams are about this year and didn't want to give up one of this years 2 3rd round picks. Don't have a 4th this year either. Next years 3rd wouldn't do it. So no choice if they want this player. I for one just don't care unless this player sucks.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Plus the Rams are about this year and didn't want to give up one of this years 2 3rd round picks. Don't have a 4th this year either. Next years 3rd wouldn't do it. So no choice if they want this player. I for one just don't care unless this player sucks.
A lot of people freaked at Kobie Turner being taken in 3rd --- said he was overdrafted by a lot. I am going to trust they got the man they wanted

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
...Once they locked in on that, it's do whatever it takes mode and we know how Snead gets when that happens.
This comment is underrated. Super good point. At the beginning of the off-season I think it was Snead who emphasized several times in an interview that he and McVay are very aggressive and they are not scared to go after it.

The downside to aggression is sometimes others will take advantage of you and you will overpay. Live with the good and bad.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good lord it's amazing we even are able to field a team with such a terrible GM who can't make a trade to save his life.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Aaaanyway, I have the perfect nickname for Braden Fiske: "The Kingpin". I know that he has an extra "e' in his surname, but Fisk is such a great, imposing, and frankly, badass villain (Vincent D'Onofrio played him to perfection.) that you can't help but love his portrayal.

So it is with our own Kingpin.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Aaaanyway, I have the perfect nickname for Braden Fiske: "The Kingpin". I know that he has an extra "e' in his surname, but Fisk is such a great, imposing, and frankly, badass villain (Vincent D'Onofrio played him to perfection.) that you can't help but love his portrayal.

So it is with our own Kingpin.
The "The White AD"... put some pressure on him.

I remember people referred to Kevin Greene as "The White LT"... so why not?

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
... But he's certainly not perfect, and I think he overpays in trade deals. *Always* gets the short end of the stick. And I don't think he needs to overpay, but I think it's bc that is now his rep around the league -- teams know they can take advantage of him, ununfortunately.
I get your point. There does seem to be a pattern of the Rams overpaying and/or not getting enough back. I would add, though, it's not because if their rep.

It's because of their posture and temperament. They are admittedly super aggressive. Snead said it this year; Demoff has said it before. I think this level of aggression started with McVay.

If you are aggressive and must have what you want when you want it, you will lose a lot of negotiations.

The question you should ask is, has it hurt them? Has it stopped success?

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The "The White AD"... put some pressure on him.

I remember people referred to Kevin Greene as "The White LT"... so why not?

Nah, I don't think so. "The Kingpin" sounds much cooler to me.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The question you should ask is, has it hurt them? Has it stopped success?

Five playoff appearances, three divisional titles, two Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl win ... I'm going to give a firm "No" answer to both of those questions.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@RamFanWA Nothing to be not sure about. Just amazed this guy has spent his entire time since the pick crying about our trade up. He can't seem to grasp the concept that the team valued adding Fiske as much as they did that they were willing to lose a little on a trade value chart that is entirely subjective. Add to that there's no consensus on how teams value future picks. It's clear that the Rams felt strongly enough about adding Fiske that they were willing to give up their 2nd round pick next year.