Rams Select Braden Fiske, DL at #39 Overall.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
The team holder the higher pick holds the power.
If you want the player, sometimes you have to over pay a bit.
Thats how it is with all things.
So be it.
Would you rather have settled for a player they valued less and have another pick next year?? Me either.
Good pick and move up.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
If the team actually had him rated as a late 1st round pick, then it isn't really much of an overpay to get him.

The only time we are going to be upset about this is watching next years draft on day 2.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
That is where applying trade value chart points comes up short.

Bullseye.

As I said in another thread, the intrinsic value of having these to guys together, pushing each other and making the journey into the pros together can't be measured, but has the potential to pay off dividends in the future.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think the premise that GMs around the league know they can fleece Snead is proven false by the fact that the Rams tried to trade up several times and weren't able to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well one thing with the trade up market in this draft... Seemed like a lot of rumors of teams trying to move up but were turned down. Way more than usual in fact. So this draft could have been as crazy as anticipated but a lot of teams took those QBs and OTs and whatnot instead of moving down.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
It seemed like early in the second round there started to be a run on DTs, the Rams front office had to strike while the iron was hot and were aggressive in making their move to get the player that the team needed. I would rather see them be aggressive than sit on their hands and come up with a lessor talent.

TexasRam

Legend
Not sure how well Fiske can be as a Pro. Love the potential.

I don't try to make too many judgements on any player drafted because you never know.

I will say this, I don't mind the move up to get your guy. You have to trust your scouts and the system fit and go get your guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love how he hustled back after every set too.

TexasRam

Legend
Pretty lengthy arguments over the trade value for Fiske.

I get the concerns about overpaying. But the upside of Snead is he does what it takes to get a deal done.

Under previous GM's I couldn't stand the conservative approach and always felt it limited our roster flexibility.

We have a Lombardi based on Sneads aggressive approach to wheeling and dealing.

The run on DT's included Newton and Sweat. We needed a trade partner to get a deal done so sweetening the pot was critical there.

We will see how the Fiske deal turns out, but count me in the camp that doesn't mind overpaying in a situation like this.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Snead did what they had to do, which was make the moves to improve the defensive front. I would not trade Snead for any GM in the NFL.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know some people will give us a lower draft grade because what we gave up to get Fiske. But the way I see it, if we stood pat at 52, was there a player remaining that could give us the same impact at a needed position? I don't think so. Call it the cost of doing business. He's the type of player coaches love. And he works very well in tandem with Verse. And draft grades are basically worthless unless its 3 years later.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe another was to substantiate the trade value of Fiske is the almost instant continuity of playing with Verse. This cuts the learning curve substantially between two players because they already have that bond of knowing what to do together. Almost a telepathy, if you will, between the two guys that play as one cohesive front unit instinctively. So that may win us an extra game or two early in the season and be the difference of us making the playoffs. That's a cheap price to pay for almost guaranteed results based on their prior history together. To have a bond between two players and somehow keep them together, it's like adopting a set of twins. What would you pay for that second twin to keep them together? If you had to pay more, you absolutely would do it. I think this is how the Rams FO approached this unique situation of filling two positional needs and giving two rookies a leg up entering the NFL. I'm not an adoption agency expert, I only claim to be one here on this board :zany1:

Memphis Ram

Legend
If the team actually had him rated as a late 1st round pick, then it isn't really much of an overpay to get him.

The only time we are going to be upset about this is watching next years draft on day 2.
And even then, only if he's having the look of a potential bust and it's a selection at the top of the round.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The team overpaid by pick value. That's a statement of fact.

The pick chart is just one tool to evaluate draft picks and trades.

The ultimate and only REAL value of the picks is what they bring to the team as players both in and out of the locker room.

So, we'll see.

The Rams have earned enough surplus value in the draft last year with their picks and with various comp picks to make me not give one shit that they traded up as much as they did for Fiske. I see the need at that spot as tremendous, I can see the possibilities in the player, and am absolutely fascinated by the possibility that teaming him up with Verse could quicken their transition to the NFL and speed up their timeline.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The team overpaid by pick value. That's a statement of fact.

The pick chart is just one tool to evaluate draft picks and trades.

The ultimate and only REAL value of the picks is what they bring to the team as players both in and out of the locker room.

So, we'll see.

The Rams have earned enough surplus value in the draft last year with their picks and with various comp picks to make me not give one shit that they traded up as much as they did for Fiske. I see the need at that spot as tremendous, I can see the possibilities in the player, and am absolutely fascinated by the possibility that teaming him up with Verse could quicken their transition to the NFL and speed up their timeline.
Truly no way to know if we overpayed till we see him play.

On the other hand, we sincerely underpaid for Puka... so there's that.

Psycho_X

Legend
But the upside of Snead is he does what it takes to get a deal done.
He does exactly that and I love it. Yeah it has backfired a few times over the years but its worked out more than not. And that's including draft, free agency, and trades. McSnead target who they think will fit what they want to do and they go get them and I love that. How can you not be excited to watch these two play together on the line. McVay and Snead are such a great pair together, they know how to build team chemistry too. This defense is going to be fun to watch and they will only get better over time imo.