Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Edwards...it seems like the team would tell him if they were going to have him in competition for either tackle job.This makes me think they plan to bring Whit back ....
I don't think the Rams have anything set in stone yet and they're still in the evaluating and planning process.
There's a lot of film to go over and dissect and of course they have to consider if they're going to draft somebody or bring somebody in on free agency.
I think mini camp would be the time they'll let these guys know anything for sure.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Both of those statements are very true. If indeed the film shows that Whitworth has fallen off his game precipitously, then McVay/O'Connell/Kromer better identify that problem as something that might be fixed quickly, or whether the result is a matter of age and not likely fixed at all, and if the latter is the case, I wouldn't expect an offer to be made. I personally didn't notice that kind of drop-off, but the film hides nothing. Whit may have gotten off to a slower start than usual, but he looked in good form to me as the season progressed.
jmo.
The biggest problem with Whitworth this year, (and last year) is that he is increasingly drawing a lot more holding penalties at 10 yards a pop, plus the lost yardage on those plays.
I would think that is an indication that he is slowing down so therefore he has to grab the opponent more often.
It just seems to have been an increase from almost no flags in '17 to more in '18 and increasing even further in '19.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Definitely not ideal but at least we have the option with an Evans who really did an amazing job for a rookie at right tackle.
Who's to say he can't elevate his game further as a left tackle?
I dont think he did great. I think he did ok.
When he can handle RT on his own, in 11 personel, then I'll be comfortable with him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Noteboom/Evans
Corbett
Blythe FA or Draftee
Edwards
Evans/Havenstein

This scares me.
Can I help you out on your concerns?

Revised OL Candidates & Prospects for the Rams in 2020

LT- Edwards/ Evans/ Brewer/ Noteboom
LG- Corbett/ Brewer/ Shelton/ Demby
OC- Allen/ Shelton/ Trewyn/ Kolone

RG- Edwards/Brewer/ Kolone/ Demby
RT- Havenstein/ Evans/ Brewer

Snead will most likely have six draft selections including the awarded compensation 4th rd. pick. I believe there is a very good chance that Snead will select several more OL'ers in the draft (a center for sure). I would expect the addition of at least 1 experienced center with valuable NFL starts. Snead also could trade our Nickel CB for a 3rd day draft pick too.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Can I help you out on your concerns?

Revised OL Candidates & Prospects for the Rams in 2020

LT- Edwards/ Evans/ Brewer/ Noteboom
LG- Corbett/ Brewer/ Shelton/ Demby
OC- Allen/ Shelton/ Trewyn/ Kolone

RG- Edwards/Brewer/ Kolone/ Demby
RT- Havenstein/ Evans/ Brewer

Snead will most likely have six draft selections including the awarded compensation 4th rd. pick. I believe there is a very good chance that Snead will select several more OL'ers in the draft (a center for sure).
I really dont want to see Allen back as our starting C. Is not as though he had a couple bad moments. He was getting pushed back into the pocket frequently.

What I really want to see.
a) Whit back for one last year. Giving us time to see if Note is the LT we hope he can be. I like Edward's, but I fear a repeat of what we had this year. Potential,with poor results.

b) A solid vet C. I dont know who, but we have to try.
Young guards between Whit, Veteran C and Hav, should solidify the unit and allow us more time to develop all the young men we have to work with

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really dont want to see Allen back as our starting C. Is not as though he had a couple bad moments. He was getting pushed back into the pocket frequently.

What I really want to see.
a) Whit back for one last year. Giving us time to see if Note is the LT we hope he can be. I like Edward's, but I fear a repeat of what we had this year. Potential,with poor results.

b) A solid vet C. I dont know who, but we have to try.
Young guards between Whit, Veteran C and Hav, should solidify the unit and allow us more time to develop all the young men we have to work with
I would agree with you, I do not want to see Brian Allen as our projected starting center early in 2020.

I have only one non Ram UFA priority at this time & prefer that Snead signs a veteran interior OL'er who has many seasons as a starter.

I posted in another thread that I liked the way 31 yr old Ben Garland who is filling in for an outstanding all NFC center Weston Richburg who is on the IR. Garland has been in the NFL for 6 seasons is now the 9ers starting center.

Another UFA prospect could be, the previous starting center for the Vikings 29 yr old Brett Jones who has 46 starts. Neither should demand a high moderate salary. I also think that former interior OL'er for McVay that could be signed very cheap is 29 veteran Spencer Long who will be cut by the Bills & not a UFA, who started for McVay @ LG & OC when he was with the Redskins.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would agree with you, I do not want to see Brian Allen as our projected starting center early in 2020.

I have only one UFA priority at this time & prefer that Snead signs a veteran interior OL'er who has many seasons as a starter.

I posted in another thread that I liked the way 31 yr old Ben Garland who has been in the NFL for 6 seasons is now the 9ers starting center. Another UFA prospect could be, the previous starting center for the Vikings 29 yr old Brett Jones who has 46 starts. Neither should demand a high moderate salary.
I believe that to be an ideal scenario.
I also prefer to see a nice mix of veteran leadership at all position groups.
I always look forward to your outlook on our oline. You do a great job.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The biggest problem with Whitworth this year, (and last year) is that he is increasingly drawing a lot more holding penalties at 10 yards a pop, plus the lost yardage on those plays.
I would think that is an indication that he is slowing down so therefore he has to grab the opponent more often.
It just seems to have been an increase from almost no flags in '17 to more in '18 and increasing even further in '19.

If they feel Big Whit has declined in play, we might/should bite the bullet and shuffle some money to go after a LT in free agency then. I am not a cap expert but I think this idea could end up on the table as an action plan in March. Maybe one of you cap experts would be willing to breakdown what that could look like over the next 2-3 years.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Even if Whit returns, I agree with Boni, rams need another seasoned vet on the OL. Rams youngsters got schooled way too often.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I dont think he did great. I think he did ok.
When he can handle RT on his own, in 11 personel, then I'll be comfortable with him.
The Eagles first round pick, Dillard, struggled when he played in spots this yr. Few rookie tackles excel. It took Pace 10-12 games until he started impressing in his rookie year.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Also remember that Evans was cross trained, so he moved all over the place in preseason and camp. Then sat for ten games until thrown in at RT. So he did fine.

The Eagles were criticized for not cross training Dillard. He only played LT, so when RT Lane Johnson went down they did not play Dillard because he never played there.

So again Evans did well considering everything he was asked to do.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The Eagles first round pick, Dillard, struggled when he played in spots this yr. Few rookie tackles excel. It took Pace 10-12 games until he started impressing in his rookie year.
I agree.
How many o line draft prospects did we wait on, that never panned out, though.

This entire board knows that Oline needs to be fixed this offseason, or were in for another down year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If they feel Big Whit has declined in play, we might/should bite the bullet and shuffle some money to go after a LT in free agency then. I am not a cap expert but I think this idea could end up on the table as an action plan in March. Maybe one of you cap experts would be willing to breakdown what that could look like over the next 2-3 years.

We should be going after an OT high in the draft no matter the Whitworth situation. We don't know about Noteboom's health or whether he'll be the same guy we drafted. We also witnessed a slide in Havenstein's play, so we have no way to estimate his future. The Ram's will require a swing tackle if Evans or Edwards are starting elsewhere along the line, having another quality OT to compete only insures a better end product once it's all sorted out, and i'd prefer we err on the side of caution than go into another risky season with our OL. If the Rams get a 2'nd round draft pick as the result of a Tag & Trade for Fowler, then use that on an OT and our own on a 5T DE ... or vice versa.

For those of you demanding either a free agent or high draft pick for a Center, please give us an actual name rather than some random hypothetical, and if he's drafted, what makes you so certain that McVay is going to change his past practice to start a rookie when an emergency doesn't really exist ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
let me throw this out .......currently I see more cons than pros with signing Whitworth as time goes on.

My thoughts on signing Andrew Whitworth is making me nervous. I feel now that this is not the best plan for this team going forward. I have moved from the side of the fence where I was convinced that if AW would sign a 1 yr contract our early issues @ LT would be fixed. I now have moved off the AW fence to the other side.

Signing a LT who will be 39 yr old before the season is complete just does not feel like the right move. IMO It's a feeble flaccid patched up plan that has no plus or future to it. It will cost the Rams a big chunk of invaluable salary cap funds!

Many say what difference does it make?? This is my concern.....Demoff/Snead have critical important pending long term extensions of contracts with three vital young Rams who have exhibited near all pro level abilities (Ramsey/ Kupp & JJ III). This Ram team can NOT take any risks & danger losing any of these 3 due to $$$ spent on a LT who is trending downward.

The signing AW plan is for an abbreviated period of time in order to fill the gap move that stands to end up being worse than going with one of the 3 youthful low cost budget prospects already here & ready to compete. There is also the good possibility that Snead can draft another LT in this yr draft to beef up the competition. This route is much more affordable & easy to support.

Should I dare make an argument like @Rams43 about the possibility that the original planned 2020 starting LT Joseph Noteboom might be way ahead in his rehabbing event earlier than I believed?

I also see many members believing there are several UFA LT's who can protect Goff's blind side that we can obtain for one season with limited cap funds to cover the early gap till Noteboom is ready. Have they taken the time to study which UFA LT's that might be involved in FA'cy that would sign a 1 yr contract with a team short of funds ?

From my inspection the UFA LG's/ RG's/OC's/ RT's cadres.... they have a good amount of veteran prospects worth a gamble but most of the UFA LT's would get Goff killed & are a frighting. IMO most have major mucous secretions filled in their skills backpack, or have missing broke body parts, or if they can walk & talk will cost a huge truck load of salary cap funds in order to buy his services. Can the Rams render another bad investment like the Brandon Cooks contract?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I agree.
How many o line draft prospects did we wait on, that never panned out, though.

This entire board knows that Oline needs to be fixed this offseason, or were in for another down year.
Well then we can't draft anyone because unless they are immediate stars then you will have to draft new guys again next yr.

Point is you have to develop these guys.

I do want a center with size so Goff does not keep getting the pocket collapsed on him right up the gut. Maybe a guy that can start by mid-season.

However, you will not get a starting caliber LT in FA or the draft. So outside of keeping Whitworth one more yr on a cheap deal, you will have to rely on a journeyman or mid round pick.

So you need to develop Noteboom, Evans, and Edwards. Whether at OG or LT, these guys are your future, along with Corbett. Sure, add a LT in the draft, but he will be a year behind these guys because you will not get a blue chip guy where the Rams are drafting. At best you get another Noteboom/Evans type guy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well then we can't draft anyone because unless they are immediate stars then you will have to draft new guys again next yr.

Point is you have to develop these guys.

I do want a center with size so Goff does not keep getting the pocket collapsed on him right up the gut. Maybe a guy that can start by mid-season.

However, you will not get a starting caliber LT in FA or the draft. So outside of keeping Whitworth one more yr on a cheap deal, you will have to rely on a journeyman or mid round pick.

So you need to develop Noteboom, Evans, and Edwards. Whether at OG or LT, these guys are your future, along with Corbett. Sure, add a LT in the draft, but he will be a year behind these guys because you will not get a blue chip guy where the Rams are drafting. At best you get another Noteboom/Evans type guy.
As far as LT. I'm fine with grooming Note or Edward's another year. This is why I want to keep Whit 1 more year.

Regarding C.
I feel strongly about trying to find a solid Vet to fill in until we can groom a guy for that position.

Regarding both guard spots.
I think we should be ok and field both positions with 2 of the men already on the roster.
Probably 2 of Corbett, Evan's or Edward's.

We've had poor o lines for too long. Draft after draft. Year after year.
The 2 years prior were a blessing,when we had solid play from that unit.
The yield? An actual, functional, NFL offense.