Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Andrew Whitworth signed a 3 year, $33,750,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $15,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $11,250,000. In , Whitworth will earn a base salary of , a signing bonus of , a roster bonus of , a signing bonus of , a restructure bonus of , a workout bonus of and a incentive bonus of , while carrying a cap hit of and a dead cap value of .

I don't see Whit resigning breaking the cap bank. Even though LT value has gone up he is 38 years old. Give him $9Million for one year. Rams could be creative for two years and take some dead cap in 2021. Give him $4Million signing bonus and $6Million a year for two years getting the cap hit down to $8Million, I doubt he plays the second year but, you never know. He would be worth it to get over the hump of Noteboom rehabbing. A healthy Whit could be better than a rehabbed Noteboom in 2020 who most likely won't be ready for the start of the season. I think mid-season is a projected time table for his return.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If McVay has forbid "Settling" then he would certainly write off Andrew Whitworth then too.

I might need to stress that my post on considering Blythe was not as a starter @ center or OG but to be one of the OL'ers to take up the veteran RESERVE position which would be usually the #7-#8 or #9 that the Rams will need in 2020.
Re: Whit... Yes it would be. Which is why I think we will see someone else at LT next season. I'm guessing Evans because he's got the feet for it just needs development but it might be Edwards or the two of them competing for the job.

That said it might be a requirement to settle at LT because you're unlikely to find a starting rookie LT outside round 1. IMO Whit is all about the cost. Rams will want him back but not at a high rate that will impede their ability to do what they must because he is a short term answer.

My point is there is zero chance we stick with the same group who cost us a chance at a championship. There will be new blood brought in. Center seems to be locked as a draft addition. Guard has some good options in FA or the draft. Tackle looks like the draft.

From there we can sort of see the pieces they're going to be playing with and this is starting options only btw...

LT: Whit (driven by cost as potential short term answer). One of the two young tackles we drafted in 2019. Draftee who has good feet and possibility of playing blind side.

Translation: LT is going to be iffy regardless and even if Whit comes back because he is old and his skills are eroding. They might just bite the bullet because it's cheaper and if they do we're gonna have a 2019 draft pick as our starting blindside.

LG: Corbett, FREE AGENT.

Translation: Corbett wasn't bad in 2020 but his play was a far cry from the consistency we need. If the Rams bring in a FA there's a chance we see him slide over to provide better competition at center. Now the FA might be a guy who plays RG (like Scherff for example). If that happens then Edwards likely slides over.

C: Allen, Corbett, Draftee.

Translation: it's tough to start at Center in this league as a draftee which is why the guys who project to do that go early nowadays. But with Corbett and Allen vs a draftee we probably have enough competition to produce a solid starter which you can survive with at this level.

RG: Edwards, FREE AGENT.

Translation: Edwards will likely be our 2020 RG barring a FA addition who trumps him.

RT: Evans, Havenstein.

Translation: this is a really intriguing position and the most intriguing on our line. Because Havenstein might have been playing injured, not to mention he was dealing with a pocket that wouldn't allow the QB to step up which is a bad thing for any RT. If he can start at RT for us and regain his 2019 form Evans is free to switch to the left side.

So here's what I think it's gonna look like (well what I think this morning which is due to change loool):

LT: Evans
LG: Edwards
C: Corbett/Draftee/Allen (who knows)
RG: Scherff (or similar, and the FA might be at LG with Edwards here but OGs are Edwards & FA)
RT: Havenstein

That is a line which will be able to mash the ball in the run game and allow us to regain the balance that destroyed our offensive efficiency.

Edit: and re: Noteboom... I think he's the first guy off the bench for either tackle position.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I would hate to be Snead realizing he will have to go shopping for "tested starter/high quality backup". from the list of current UFA's.

Seriously I might rethink heavy on Austin Blythe (AB). I know AB
failed over 2 seasons as our starting RG. I also know his starts @ center as the back up to Allen was also not to be desired. However taking that into consideration....AB is already set up in LA.

#1- AB is a well known commodity by the Rams coaches & he knows this offense inside & out!

#2- AB is well liked by his other OL cadre by numerous comments reported on by his teammates.

#3- AB has a good history with the Colts & Rams when AB held the OL position as reserve.

#4- AB was injured very early (gm.#2) ankle/knee combo & missed 1 1/2 gms. AB's back up Jamil Demby who filled in for him was a total disaster & might have caused the ill-advised early return & from what I can read into this ankle injury & in hind site is AB should have taken much more time off from starting wk #4 & spent many more weeks being involved in a rehabbing event.:oops:

#5- In addition to endeavor to persevere due to that injured ankle all season AB just undergone both shoulder surgeryo_O.

The only issue that Snead will have with the resigning of AB is it will have direct effect on his efforts & activities to optimize to secure the Rams future 2021 Compensatory Draft Pick Awards (CDPA).

If I were Snead I might save myself some serious amount of time if he considered offering UFA Austin Blythe a contract to fill LARAMSinFeb. desires.....AB is a veteran starting interior OL'er with 37 starts @ RG/OC/RT/LG. AB has played in 59 NFL gms. AB has two seasons under his resume as a high quality back up too.;)

If mediocrity is the name of this game, by all means, lets re-sign Blythe. The think tank which devised the plan which gave us Allen perhaps saying, ... 'well, we can't do any worse than Sullivan' following our Super Bowl loss. Yet, we did do worse from most observations. Are we now to say, ... 'well, we can't do any worse than Allen', as we re-examine our situation at Center for 2020 ?
Allen, a 4'th rounder, not only presented the starting job having all of only 36 total prior offensive snaps, his only competition was Aaron Neary, a guy now out of football, along with our two worst camp bodies in Demby and Kolone. Is our think tank now conspiring to pay Blythe $4.5mil-$5.5mil per year for 2 or 3 years ? We can't do better ? Really ?
I pointed out in a post a few days ago how poorly Snead had done since he arrived in 2012 in regards to both our Center and RG positions, and I love Snead, although after the way this OL performed in 2019, I EXPECT him to step up and make this right, not only for Goff & Gurley, but for the betterment of our entire team. If we don't fix this this OL, we are only wasting the talents of Goff, Gurley and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL.
jmo.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If mediocrity is the name of this game, by all means, lets re-sign Blythe. The think tank which devised the plan which gave us Allen perhaps saying, ... 'well, we can't do any worse than Sullivan' following our Super Bowl loss. Yet, we did do worse from most observations. Are we now to say, ... 'well, we can't do any worse than Allen', as we re-examine our situation at Center for 2020 ?
Allen, a 4'th rounder, not only presented the starting job having all of only 36 total prior offensive snaps, his only competition was Aaron Neary, a guy now out of football, along with our two worst camp bodies in Demby and Kolone. Is our think tank now conspiring to pay Blythe $4.5mil-$5.5mil per year for 2 or 3 years ? We can't do better ? Really ?
I pointed out in a post a few days ago how poorly Snead had done since he arrived in 2012 in regards to both our Center and RG positions, and I love Snead, although after the way this OL performed in 2019, I EXPECT him to step up and make this right, not only for Goff & Gurley, but for the betterment of our entire team. If we don't fix this this OL, we are only wasting the talents of Goff, Gurley and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL.
jmo.

I think you have to resign Blythe due to the fact he can play any interior position. He played center decently obviously he could have been worse but he has value but how much value is the question

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
jmo.
Starter material, no. Bench player, perfect.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think you have to resign Blythe due to the fact he can play any interior position. He played center decently obviously he could have been worse but he has value but how much value is the question

I don't like to throw good money after bad. We should have several alternatives than overpaying the mediocre Blythe. Yes, he's cross-trained, and we also know how bad he is at RG, so let some other team in need try to make use of him. Blythe, imo, was well situated as a full time back-up, but now that he's moved into the realm of starters, he's outclassed and underwhelming for a team needing to get to the next level. jmo.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
You gotta believe that Kromer has a lot of input in the offense linemen we draft, so it’s not all on Snead. The Rams as an organization decided to go with inexperienced backups and Demby at guard. Edwards and Evans played more than expected so maybe they will be ahead of the curve next season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Was not talking about Whit. If he takes below market value like Weddle, then I expect that to happen.

I am saying you are not going outside to get someone new via FA.

And even with him, you are getting a short-term bandaid. You ate nit going to fix LT via FA for the long-term or even intermediate term like with Whitworth 3 yrs ago. Those type guys are too expensive even if they become available.

The way I see it is your signing Bib Whit because of what he means to the LA Rams!!! Going in this new home and letting him brings this team in. He has been a huge mentor to The Offensive Line group. He still has that burn & desire. What he means & has done for the community is priceless !!

The idea of finding a LT is suppose to be solved with Noteboom. Just allowing him time as well to get 100% healthy. The fact that Noteboom can’t play guard or RT is silly. He is a perfect swing guy in case of injury during the season. The Rams have enough quality lineman. It’s just developing what you got. Add Austin Blythe as your backup. It’s a joke to think The Rams are going to go outside of house to get what they already have been building on coming on 4 years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The idea of finding a LT is suppose to be solved with Noteboom. Just allowing him time as well to get 100% healthy. The fact that Noteboom can’t play guard or RT is silly. He is a perfect swing guy in case of injury during the season. The Rams have enough quality lineman. It’s just developing what you got. Add Austin Blythe as your backup. It’s a joke to think The Rams are going to go outside of house to get what they already have been building on coming on 4 years.
Noteboom got bullied and trucked repeatedly at OG. There is no way he has maintained that anointed status after the league exposed his lack of strength.

He might end up as our LT down the road if he can work hard and improve. But this "we have a starting level LT in Noteboom" stuff is BS.

The Rams will not get burned a second consecutive season by the same guys not being good enough. Zero chance of that. OL will be a top focus

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Did Noteboom start as a rookie?

No.

They need a LT this coming season.

I am all for developing the kids. Look at my past posts. I have continually pointed out that they have pieces that can develop into a good young line. You can't keep drafting rookies and hope they are upgrades over what you have.

So my point is you are not going to go out and uograde LT via FA or the draft for the 2020 season.

That is all I am saying.

I am all for keeping Whit for one more yr and then Noteboom eventually takes over, maybe by mid-season in 2020. However, this is his 3rd season, so don't compare him to getting a rookie this yr who can step in and start and be solid from day one.

I am sorry, but I don't get why this logic is so tough to digest.

My only exception is I do want them to draft a C with size that hopefully can challenge by mid season to start, but that is likely wishful thinking.

So no issues, just wanting to be clear on what I am saying.

well said & I think Whit is coming back. I also believe The Rams will also develop these young Ram offensive line in house. Might resign Austin Blythe. Especially if he was playing hurt. I know Mcvay was very pleased with him & I loved the way he stepped up & showed leadership!! If only as a backup as well ?? Brian Allen will be an interesting case. Ram fans hate him. I’m still undecided on him. Jared The Draft pick, especially after Noteboom was drafted. Didn’t like The Rams cutting Sullivan & Brian Allen was the cost of what the veteran line became. Especially after letting Roger Saffold go. I was a Big 5 guy & Blythe as much as he has been bad he has been good. He became part of the Big 5 & held up taking The Rams to the Super Bowl as The Rams starting RIGHT GUARD. Maybe he should do a commercial with Todd Gurley.
Thank God for CJ Anderson !!! Yeah the run game would have so good with out him. Lmao.
Sometimes Ram Fans forget!! I’m for trading Todd Gurley & adding playmakers Aaron Kromer will have The O”Line right.

In Kromer I trust. Yes last year he pressed his luck. The Depth was developed though. As he would say when he first came in. There are not any players better in the draft than what we have on the roster.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Noteboom got bullied and trucked repeatedly at OG. There is no way he has maintained that anointed status after the league exposed his lack of strength.

He might end up as our LT down the road if he can work hard and improve. But this "we have a starting level LT in Noteboom" stuff is BS.

The Rams will not get burned a second consecutive season by the same guys not being good enough. Zero chance of that. OL will be a top focus

LOL !!! I respect your thoughts. I’ll have to wait to see about Whitworth, but to say The Rams are just cut these guys & not try to build them up as a coaching staff is hard to believe. I guess the question I’m asking is how do you break there roster down ??
The Rams are cutting Brian Allan & Noteboom ?? Talk about a waste of draft picks & salary, along with bad coach & salary cap space ??
I seriously think , oh well, must off my rocker. All I can say I enjoyed watching the young guys develop this season & think there upside is good. As far as Noteboom & Allan go for gosh sakes !! Putting them in a preseason game develop them . Don’t hold them out & let them get hurt during the season because of lack of experience.
Yes & I Hope Noteboom has been hitting the weights hard the last 5 months, if not The Rams coaching staff will be able to tell ?? I drink the Kool-Aide !! I also know how bad this O”Line was going into the season & know that Kromer will continue to coach these guys well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does any member here really expect that the young 2019 Rams starters (Corbett/ Edwards/ Evans) plus the young reserve OL'ers(Chandler Brewer & Coleman Shelton) will not show improvement by the time 2020 regular season starts up?

Do we not recall that Corbett & Shelton were not involved in any 2019 Ram OTA/ Training Camp & Preseason preparation & development?

I realize that mentioning center Brian Allen's name in here causes mental trauma & demonstrative fits, but is he brain-dead not to know that his first season designated as a starter was a complete failure? .......are we being presumptive in thinking Allen is going to give up rollover & die.....Me thinks he will make a great endeavor to put 2019 far from rear view mirror & be better in 2020?

Are we passing judgment that there will be no improvement from the end of 2019 to the beginning of regular season of 2020 from this young healthy OL?

I am anticipating that most of this young 2019 OL cadre ...after another full off season of physical weight training, then return fresh for TC & preseason worth of both mental & physical development..... to be a great deal better as an overall functioning unit. The oldest member of this OL will be only 28 yrs old & that Havenstein just entering his prime yrs as an OL'er.

Of the main top 8 Ram Ol'ers only one has a complete year of starts in the NFL!

#1-OT> Havenstein has 5 seasons worth of starts
#2-OG> Edwards has only 10 starts
#3-OC> Allen has only 9 starts
#4-OG> Corbett has only 8 starts
#5-OT> Evans has only 7 starts
#6-OC> Shelton has zero
#7-OT> Brewer has zero
#8-OG> Demby has 1 start

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL !!! I respect your thoughts. I’ll have to wait to see about Whitworth, but to say The Rams are just cut these guys & not try to build them up as a coaching staff is hard to believe. I guess the question I’m asking is how do you break there roster down ??
The Rams are cutting Brian Allan & Noteboom ?? Talk about a waste of draft picks & salary, along with bad coach & salary cap space ??
I seriously think , oh well, must off my rocker. All I can say I enjoyed watching the young guys develop this season & think there upside is good. As far as Noteboom & Allan go for gosh sakes !! Putting them in a preseason game develop them . Don’t hold them out & let them get hurt during the season because of lack of experience.
Yes & I Hope Noteboom has been hitting the weights hard the last 5 months, if not The Rams coaching staff will be able to tell ?? I drink the Kool-Aide !! I also know how bad this O”Line was going into the season & know that Kromer will continue to coach these guys well.
I think both Allen and Noteboom will be given the opportunity to compete for jobs and from there who knows. All I know right now is neither were good enough in 2019 but that doesn't mean either of them can't improve. The key for me is that the Rams aren't going to look at them and think "we're good there."

I expect a couple more picks will probably be added to the mix and a free agent will also probably be added to increase the talent level of the line. And from there we should have actual competition which I think will pay off next season.

Right now the only "core" pieces I see on this line, meaning guys who are 100% in our long term plans as starters, are Edwards and Evans. A free agent will add a third to that mix. Then we need a couple guys to step up and get 'er done.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Re: Whit... Yes it would be. Which is why I think we will see someone else at LT next season. I'm guessing Evans because he's got the feet for it just needs development but it might be Edwards or the two of them competing for the job.

That said it might be a requirement to settle at LT because you're unlikely to find a starting rookie LT outside round 1. IMO Whit is all about the cost. Rams will want him back but not at a high rate that will impede their ability to do what they must because he is a short term answer.

My point is there is zero chance we stick with the same group who cost us a chance at a championship. There will be new blood brought in. Center seems to be locked as a draft addition. Guard has some good options in FA or the draft. Tackle looks like the draft.

From there we can sort of see the pieces they're going to be playing with and this is starting options only btw...

LT: Whit (driven by cost as potential short term answer). One of the two young tackles we drafted in 2019. Draftee who has good feet and possibility of playing blind side.

Translation: LT is going to be iffy regardless and even if Whit comes back because he is old and his skills are eroding. They might just bite the bullet because it's cheaper and if they do we're gonna have a 2019 draft pick as our starting blindside.

LG: Corbett, FREE AGENT.

Translation: Corbett wasn't bad in 2020 but his play was a far cry from the consistency we need. If the Rams bring in a FA there's a chance we see him slide over to provide better competition at center. Now the FA might be a guy who plays RG (like Scherff for example). If that happens then Edwards likely slides over.

C: Allen, Corbett, Draftee.

Translation: it's tough to start at Center in this league as a draftee which is why the guys who project to do that go early nowadays. But with Corbett and Allen vs a draftee we probably have enough competition to produce a solid starter which you can survive with at this level.

RG: Edwards, FREE AGENT.

Translation: Edwards will likely be our 2020 RG barring a FA addition who trumps him.

RT: Evans, Havenstein.

Translation: this is a really intriguing position and the most intriguing on our line. Because Havenstein might have been playing injured, not to mention he was dealing with a pocket that wouldn't allow the QB to step up which is a bad thing for any RT. If he can start at RT for us and regain his 2019 form Evans is free to switch to the left side.

So here's what I think it's gonna look like (well what I think this morning which is due to change loool):

LT: Evans
LG: Edwards
C: Corbett/Draftee/Allen (who knows)
RG: Scherff (or similar, and the FA might be at LG with Edwards here but OGs are Edwards & FA)
RT: Havenstein

That is a line which will be able to mash the ball in the run game and allow us to regain the balance that destroyed our offensive efficiency.

Edit: and re: Noteboom... I think he's the first guy off the bench for either tackle position.
I would agree that you would not keep the same group if these guys were 5 and 6 yr vets... But you essentially had 6 guys that were first time starters that saw a lot of snaps last year. 5 of them have a lot of upside and the last 3 standing played well down the stretch, despite no previous NFL playing exp.

So kind of silly to say they need to bring in a bunch of OL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would agree that you would not keep the same group if these guys were 5 and 6 yr vets... But you essentially had 6 guys that were first time starters that saw a lot of snaps last year. 5 of them have a lot of upside and the last 3 standing played well down the stretch, despite no previous NFL playing exp.

So kind of silly to say they need to bring in a bunch of OL.
If a free agent addition at OG and a couple draft picks to ensure we have competition and talent at every spot is a "bunch of OL" then yeah that's what I think is required. Frankly I'm surprised there are some around here who don't see that we cannot afford to stand pat for 2020.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If a free agent addition at OG and a couple draft picks to ensure we have competition and talent at every spot is a "bunch of OL" then yeah that's what I think is required. Frankly I'm surprised there are some around here who don't see that we cannot afford to stand pat for 2020.
Comes down to believing in what the coaches see. If they feel confident in the young guards then you have to believe them.

They didn't go out and get a vet safety after John Johnson's rookie year, or an established MLB after they traded Ogletree. They saw enough to know that those guys would grow in those roles.

So maybe in a perfect world you go spend $10M on a very good OG, but this team does not have the luxury, especially when the roster is loaded with some young quality players at that position. You have to develop them.

Contrary the D will have a lot of holes at LB & DL.... Doesn't matter how good your run game is if you give up 30 pts a game and are playing from behind due to a porous defense.

They don't have the cap room to spend it on a guard, especially an injury plagued guy like Sherff.

At least that is my view on this issue as you have to be realistic in regards to the cap room and the players that will need to extend next yr. You need that cheap labor on the OL for a few yrs until Cooks & Gurley are off the books. The staff has to develop them. That is their job.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Comes down to believing in what the coaches see. If they feel confident in the young guards then you have to believe them.
They didn't go out and get a vet safety after John Johnson's rookie year, or an established MLB after they traded Ogletree. They saw enough to know that those guys would grow in those roles.
So maybe in a perfect world you go spend $10M on a very good OG, but this team does not have the luxury, especially when the roster is loaded with some young quality players at that position. You have to develop them.
Contrary the D will have a lot of holes at LB & DL.... Doesn't matter how good your run game is if you give up 30 pts a game and are playing from behind due to a porous defense.
They don't have the cap room to spend it on a guard, especially an injury plagued guy like Sherff.

One big difference here is that we are not talking about one or maybe two players on the OL who may be seen as in-flux, the Rams have 5 positions which are likely to see some transition among their players. Last year it was about filling LG and Center as Rams management knew well ahead that they would be losing Saffold & Sullivan, and neither of their replacements were impressive. 2020 has questions from LT to RT and everything in between relating to who remains and at which position. The idea of bringing in a single quality free agent offers some risk management for an otherwise tumultuous condition. Sure, Scherff has had some injuries, and that's likely to be reflected in his next contract with guarantees, but it was also once a major obstacle for Saffold who missed double the starts that Scherff has.

The poster paints a very negative view of our CAP situation and what we might afford and not afford, yet my mock shows exactly how we might fix the OL, DL and our ILB's in an affordable manner. My offering may not be perfect, but if Snead wishes to correct some problems, he has shown in the past that he is very capable of doing just that, and our CAP only becomes a hindrance if we intend to extend those very expensive contracts for players now expected to leave in free agency. Snead has orchestrated 48 trades, which is the seventh-most in the NFL since 2012.
jmo.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think both Allen and Noteboom will be given the opportunity to compete for jobs and from there who knows. All I know right now is neither were good enough in 2019 but that doesn't mean either of them can't improve. The key for me is that the Rams aren't going to look at them and think "we're good there."

I expect a couple more picks will probably be added to the mix and a free agent will also probably be added to increase the talent level of the line. And from there we should have actual competition which I think will pay off next season.

Right now the only "core" pieces I see on this line, meaning guys who are 100% in our long term plans as starters, are Edwards and Evans. A free agent will add a third to that mix. Then we need a couple guys to step up and get 'er done.

Wow - I Don’t know how you don’t put Austin Corbett in that category over Edwards?? Anyway my judgement is way off then. I might need bifocals, because I’m blind at The Rams thinking & my evaluation on the young offensive is pretty poor. Have to wait until late February to get them reevaluate though.
I’m sure at the end of the day we both want the best for The Rams. I’ll continue to drink my kool-aide until then.
Btw- you videos on breaking the I’line down were real good & I thank you for taking the time to post those. I also enjoy reading your post .

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
^Wasn't that the line of thought that took us from a SB to no playoffs? I really hope we never see a repeat of that....
They didn't have 5 young guys, many who were relative high picks, who had a number of starts the previous year. They have that now going into 2020.

You cant just go out and buy starters every year. The system does not allow that. You hire coaches for a reason. You have personnel people who draft players for a reason. Your coaches have to develop those players or it will be impossible to win anything for any extended period of time.