Rams LT Andrew Whitworth expected to return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I still bring in Whitworth for 2020 and draft another OT high. The Scherff idea may be taking it one step beyond, he could be Franchise Tagged himself, but if he's not I do see him as fair game considering that McVay was the Washington OC which drafted him originally. If the Rams can afford both Whitworth and Fowler, they can certainly afford Whitworth & Scherff. It will be interesting to see if McVay hires other former Washington coaches like Gruden or Callahan which also may influence Scherff.
Noteboom is probably the future LT, but drafting another OT this off-season will allow for more competition at both R & LT following Whitworth's departure.
jmo.

I think your being Delusional, which is ok since it is the offseason & add players to your after Christmas list.

Like I said earlier that Brian Allen will still be in the mix. My question as one poster said about his injury for the added centers being signed. Allen was never benched so to think he is not thought of as the starting center again is curiously thinking outside of what has been.My point is only that Brian Allen showed enough as a Ram to be the starter without even playing in the preseason. That shows me the coaches thinking about his talent level.

IMO - I think The Rams just need time to develop the talent that is on the roster & resigning Whitworth. Last year fans were worried about him retiring.
The Redskin guy that would be nice is Trent Williams which is a pipe dream as well. Mcvay likes The Kromers & Dickerson that is why he said they did such as good job. If Callahan is signed it would be more as an assistant HC.
Drafting a lineman to me is zero, unless The Rams find EXCELLENT value ?? You never stop your scouting,but I don’t see it happening anyways. There to many needs with less depth.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think your being Delusional, which is ok since it is the offseason & add players to your after Christmas list.

Like I said earlier that Brian Allen will still be in the mix. My question as one poster said about his injury for the added centers being signed. Allen was never benched so to think he is not thought of as the starting center again is curiously thinking outside of what has been.My point is only that Brian Allen showed enough as a Ram to be the starter without even playing in the preseason. That shows me the coaches thinking about his talent level.

IMO - I think The Rams just need time to develop the talent that is on the roster & resigning Whitworth. Last year fans were worried about him retiring.
The Redskin guy that would be nice is Trent Williams which is a pipe dream as well. Mcvay likes The Kromers & Dickerson that is why he said they did such as good job. If Callahan is signed it would be more as an assistant HC.
Drafting a lineman to me is zero, unless The Rams find EXCELLENT value ?? You never stop your scouting,but I don’t see it happening anyways. There to many needs with less depth.

LOL, ... OK then, delusional it is, thanks for the diagnosis.

I'm not going to presume that Allen is anything other than competition for the 2020 starting role at Center, you can pencil him in as the starter if you so choose. This isn't to say that Allen can't win the job, i'm just suggesting it shouldn't be automatic.
Who did Allen compete against for the job as 2018 back-up while the Rams were closing out the season and Sullivan was determined by management to not be considered for extension ? Who competed in our 2019 camp against Allen ? Neary, Kolone, Demby and who else ? Two of our worst camp performers and a guy about to be suspended by the league and is now out of football.
The Rams must have noticed something wasn't quite right as they plucked Coleman Shelton off the Cardinals less than a week before the 2019 season was to begin. Shelton went from the Arizona practice squad to the Rams back-up Center role without knowing the plays.
In the middle of October the Rams traded for Cleveland C/OG Austin Corbett and in the middle of November added Nate Trewyn to the practice squad after Tampa Bay waived him.

The following two articles suggest Allen might have been replaced prior to injury had Noteboom not previously been injured. Corbett also needed to learn the Rams calls, and with Blythe moving over from RG to Center, the Rams now had someone to make those calls, leaving Corbett immediately available to replace Edwards at LG as he moved to RG.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Scherff is the piece if he hits the market. I'd be all in on him if I'm the GM even if it means I have to let Whit go in FA. But I'm skeptical at this point that will happen.
Washington has over $46 million of cap space Rams is listed with $23 million.

Washington show'd this season they are not willing to let good experienced OL'er depart any longer.
If you believe Corbett, Sheldon & Trewyn are unworthy competition, your assessment is duly noted.
I think newly acquired Corbett will be much better next season after having Rams OTA/TC & Pre Season events with the #1 OL team & its also my belief that Austin Corbett who started 7 gms @ LG will keep that position for the 2020/2021 seasons. I have no concerns @ the LG post. Corbett is under contract until March of 2022.

Interior OL'er Coleman Sheldon did not have any OTA/TC & Preseason practice session/events with the Rams either, so I would not delete this good sized versatile OG/OC. Sheldon dressed for 11 gms this season & I would expect much more from Shelton once he gets for the first time all the Rams team practices under his belt. Shelton is a ERFA & stands highly likely to sign a Ram contract for the next two seasons.

Interior OL'ers Nate Trewyn & Jeremiah Kolone were also signed to reserve future contracts. That will give the Rams FOUR centers under contracts going into the free agent market & then the NFL draft.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LOL, ... OK then, delusional it is, thanks for the diagnosis.

I'm not going to presume that Allen is anything other than competition for the 2020 starting role at Center, you can pencil him in as the starter if you so choose. This isn't to say that Allen can't win the job, i'm just suggesting it shouldn't be automatic.
Who did Allen compete against for the job as 2018 back-up while the Rams were closing out the season and Sullivan was determined by management to not be considered for extension ? Who competed in our 2019 camp against Allen ? Neary, Kolone, Demby and who else ? Two of our worst camp performers and a guy about to be suspended by the league and is now out of football.
The Rams must have noticed something wasn't quite right as they plucked Coleman Shelton off the Cardinals less than a week before the 2019 season was to begin. Shelton went from the Arizona practice squad to the Rams back-up Center role without knowing the plays.
In the middle of October the Rams traded for Cleveland C/OG Austin Corbett and in the middle of November added Nate Trewyn to the practice squad after Tampa Bay waived him.

The following two articles suggest Allen might have been replaced prior to injury had Noteboom not previously been injured. Corbett also needed to learn the Rams calls, and with Blythe moving over from RG to Center, the Rams now had someone to make those calls, leaving Corbett immediately available to replace Edwards at LG as he moved to RG.

RIVER man your AWESOME!!! Thanks for the Rebottle and keeping me in place

So valid in every way !!! I was pissed at Mcvay & Kromer rolling the dice again. I wanted Sullivan to at least get cut ??! Salary I’m sure played a roll. How can The Rams go into the season with Allan & Noteboom taking over from The Core of The Big 5. Blythe was never The Big 5 either which ended up costing them the Super Bowl.

Al said is I love where The Rams are at
Right Now with the O”LINE !!’

The Rams drafted Allan,Demby,Noteboom,
Then went back to the well & drafted
Edwards & Evans !!

Now the picked up Shelton & already used a 2020? draft pick on Corbett.
They just resigned there practice squad guys as well.
So your point is Allan will not make the squad ?? Very very valid !! Never liked the draft pick, especially as high as he went .

My whole thing & I will keep pounding the table is The Rams are set on the O”Line if Whityis resigned. Which I believe he absolutely will be .. now I can be off my rocker ???

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
its also my belief that Austin Corbett who started 7 gms @ LG will keep that position for the 2020/2021 seasons. I have no concerns @ the LG post.

I have no concerns at LG either, that's why I believe Corbett can play a vital role at Center instead. Personally i'd give Edwards the LG job as he did so well there in his brief stint prior to being moved over to RG for the remainder of the season. I also see less quality competition at Center than at OG, although that can change quickly in free agency or the draft, but draftees are less apt to start on the OL under McVay unless there's another emergency.
jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
RIVER man your AWESOME!!! Thanks for the Rebottle and keeping me in place

So valid in every way !!! I was pissed at Mcvay & Kromer rolling the dice again. I wanted Sullivan to at least get cut ??! Salary I’m sure played a roll. How can The Rams go into the season with Allan & Noteboom taking over from The Core of The Big 5. Blythe was never The Big 5 either which ended up costing them the Super Bowl.

Al said is I love where The Rams are at
Right Now with the O”LINE !!’

The Rams drafted Allan,Demby,Noteboom,
Then went back to the well & drafted
Edwards & Evans !!

Now the picked up Shelton & already used a 2020? draft pick on Corbett.
They just resigned there practice squad guys as well.
So your point is Allan will not make the squad ?? Very very valid !! Never liked the draft pick, especially as high as he went .

My whole thing & I will keep pounding the table is The Rams are set on the O”Line if Whityis resigned. Which I believe he absolutely will be .. now I can be off my rocker ???

No, it's way too early to suggest Allen won't make the team, the competition will be fierce, and we'll have our roster starter, his back-up and at least one C on the practice squad. It will be a free for all, but if Corbett is under consideration at Center with OG also on his resume, I have him as the lead candidate at this time. Still, free agency and the draft can change things up in a hurry, so we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no concerns at LG either, that's why I believe Corbett can play a vital role at Center instead. Personally i'd give Edwards the LG job as he did so well there in his brief stint prior to being moved over to RG for the remainder of the season. I also see less quality competition at Center than at OG, although that can change quickly in free agency or the draft, but draftees are less apt to start on the OL under McVay unless there's another emergency.
jmo.
I thought that Edwards played the left side just as good as he played the right. Edwards certainly has much more college experience on the right side.

@ the moment if AW does not return & the Rams do not sign any valid LT prospects by the time TC begins .....David Edwards will not return to the starting RG post. He will be the leading nominee to start @ the vacated LT post with Bobby Evans contending with Edwards.

I visualize the projected 2020 OL a little differently than you @ this time. I see Bobby Evans winning the important swing OT position. I also see Shelton using his versatility to win a position as the #8 or #9 OL'er @ all 3 interior OL posts. I see Brewer & his 6-5 320 plus pound frame as our new starting RG in 2020.

RT- Havenstein/ Evans
RG- Brewer/ Kolone
OC- Allen/ Shelton/ Trewyn
LG- Corbett/ Demby
LT- Edwards/ Evans/ Noteboom

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I thought that Edwards played the left side just as good as he played the right. Edwards certainly has much more college experience on that left side but that was @ LT.

@ the moment if AW does not return & the Rams do not sign any valid LT prospects by the time TC begins .....David Edwards will not return to the starting RG post. He will be the leading nominee to start @ the vacated LT post with Bobby Evans contending with Edwards.

I visualize the projected 2020 OL a little differently than you @ this time. I see Bobby Evans winning the important swing OT position. I also see Shelton using his versatility to win a position as the #8 or #9 OL'er @ all 3 interior OL posts. I see Brewer & his 6-5 320 plus pound frame as our new starting RG in 2020.

RT- Havenstein/ Evans
RG- Brewer/ Kolone
LG- Corbett/ Demby

I preferred Edwards at LG for a couple reasons, one ... I actually thought his performance was better even though he played well at RG, some of this is likely due to playing next to Whitworth where at RG he had the more inexperienced Evans at RT. Two, ... his pass pro is at a higher level than his rush blocking skills at this time, I like him in a support position with Whitworth as the best blind side protection for Goff.
We have always agreed on Big Chandler Brewer at RG, and this remains, but i'll be very surprised if Kolone makes the cut for the 53 roster, he may not even make the practice squad this next time around imo.
We already know where we disagree at Center & LG based on this thread.
I just can't imagine the Rams opening 2020 with that line-up starting at LT, especially since they didn't get regular season reps there this season.
I see Shelton, Demby & Trewyn all in play for the interior reserve roles. Evans is my swing OT/OG , even competing with Edwards & Brewer for a starting gig at OG.
jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I posted this projection above in another post but young David Edwards may be Kromer's best candidate to start @ LT during 2020 OTA's/ Training Camp & Preseason & the first half of the regular season until injured LT Joseph Noteboom is in full health & in NFL playing condition.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought that Edwards played the left side just as good as he played the right. Edwards certainly has much more college experience on that left side but that was @ LT.

RT- Havenstein/ Evans
RG- Brewer/ Kolone
LG- Corbett/ Demby

I don’t know how it plays out. I just think Whitworth will be resigned. His relationship with Mcvay is huge.
How these guys cross-train I’m not sure. I do think Evans might be used as a guard ??
Corbett sure will find a place on the starting lineup. Is he better on the right side,left,or even center ??

I’ll just take a break on all my thought with the O”line and see how it all plays out.
I do think The Rams sign Whitworth before FA’s ??? Just to show he wants to be a Ram !!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
About the extending Whit discussion...

Gonna be tricky to get this OL ‘right’ this offseason. VERY tricky.

The excruciating part of the Whit decision is that he would consume some very scarce cap room.

Evans
Corbett
Blythe, Allen, draft pick
Edwards
Hav
I don't see it as being tricky at all.

I think it would be more tricky if we shuffled around 4/5's of a ascending offensive line and counted on Whitworth not to decline further.

We now have 5 veterans who know the offense, know the snap count and know their responsibilities in that offense.
And they can only get better with a camp under their belt at that starting position.
And if they put any money into the offensive line they need to re-sign the young consummate professional center, (who will be cheaper anyway).

I understand it's a tough, emotional decision on Whitworth but sometimes you have to make these decisions.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't see it as being tricky at all.

I think it would be more tricky if we shuffled around 4/5's of a ascending offensive line and counted on Whitworth not to decline further.

We now have 5 veterans who know the offense, know the snap count and know their responsibilities in that offense.
And they can only get better with a camp under their belt at that starting position.
And if they put any money into the offensive line they need to re-sign the young consummate professional center, (who will be cheaper anyway).

I understand it's a tough, emotional decision on Whitworth but sometimes you have to make these decisions.

Blythe may appeal to the Rams short term, but this is likely his only shot at decent money and a longer term contract going forward. How much money are you willing to pay Blythe, and do you believe that will be at a competitive enough of a price to keep him from going elsewhere ? There are other needy teams with more available CAP than the Rams, and seeing a mid-quality cross-trained C/OG may be all they need for their own situation. If it comes down to paying Blythe say ... $4.5mil per for 3 years or Whitworth $8.mil for 1, I still have to lean Whitworth. Neither players are ascending, although Whit only need be good enough for the short (hopefully) period required to have Noteboom healthy and prepared to take the reigns. Protecting Goff's blind side is far more important to me than what Blythe may or may not accomplish as a Center. With Noteboom's injury, can we guarantee that he'll be the same player we drafted, and while we await those answers, do we rely on Edwards/Evans/Brewer to own the position and keep Goff upright ? McVay & Kromer may be the only guys who can answer these questions right now, so i'll remain cautious and lean towards the 'what we know'.. in Whitworth over the unknown.
One thing I think we can all agree on, ... we don't want the 2020 OL to be the mess we witnessed in 2019.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I didn't say Blythe was ascending but he certainly may.
And has more to do with the fact that Wentworth could fall off and even less effective than a younger Evans or Noteboom or Edwards.

Plus unfortunately the money and cap space has to also come into play.
It will be interesting to revisit this subject after free agency.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I noted that Edwards said in a recent interview that he was excited to learn guard this offseason. He may not be privy to the team's plans for him, but it seems like the team would tell him if they were going to have him in competition for either tackle job.

This makes me think they plan to bring Whit back and if anyone competes with him it would be Evans. And it also might sort of insinuate Hav returning at tackle.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I noted that Edwards said in a recent interview that he was excited to learn guard this offseason. He may not be privy to the team's plans for him, but it seems like the team would tell him if they were going to have him in competition for either tackle job.

This makes me think they plan to bring Whit back and if anyone competes with him it would be Evans. And it also might sort of insinuate Hav returning at tackle.
Well Havenstein knows this is a big yr for him so he better step up. Maybe a bit of a SB hang over for him. Also he may need to drop a few pounds and get a little quicker with his footwork.

So I expect him to come back in better shape and should bounce back with a good season.... I hope.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Washington has over $46 million of cap space Rams is listed with $23 million.

Washington show'd this season they are not willing to let good experienced OL'er depart any longer.

I think newly acquired Corbett will be much better next season after having Rams OTA/TC & Pre Season events with the #1 OL team & its also my belief that Austin Corbett who started 7 gms @ LG will keep that position for the 2020/2021 seasons. I have no concerns @ the LG post. Corbett is under contract until March of 2022.

Interior OL'er Coleman Sheldon did not have any OTA/TC & Preseason practice session/events with the Rams either, so I would not delete this good sized versatile OG/OC. Sheldon dressed for 11 gms this season & I would expect much more from Shelton once he gets for the first time all the Rams team practices under his belt. Shelton is a ERFA & stands highly likely to sign a Ram contract for the next two seasons.

Interior OL'ers Nate Trewyn & Jeremiah Kolone were also signed to reserve future contracts. That will give the Rams FOUR centers under contracts going into the free agent market & then the NFL draft.

And Evans and Edwards, having a full NFL offseason should come back a little bigger & stronger.

Remember, this time last yr these guys were training for a combine, not an NFL season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And has more to do with the fact that Wentworth could fall off and even less effective than a younger Evans or Noteboom or Edwards.
Plus unfortunately the money and cap space has to also come into play.
It will be interesting to revisit this subject after free agency.

Both of those statements are very true. If indeed the film shows that Whitworth has fallen off his game precipitously, then McVay/O'Connell/Kromer better identify that problem as something that might be fixed quickly, or whether the result is a matter of age and not likely fixed at all, and if the latter is the case, I wouldn't expect an offer to be made. I personally didn't notice that kind of drop-off, but the film hides nothing. Whit may have gotten off to a slower start than usual, but he looked in good form to me as the season progressed.
jmo.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO Kromer couldn't analyze his way out of a paper bag. It was clear early on that Whitworth wasn't the same guy. He didn't change the blocking scheme until things went south. It didn't occur to him to install other blocking schemes besides a very simplistic horizontal outside zone? He really had no inside run blocking scheme at all. He simply assumed that the RB could cut it back inside. How stupid and complacent is that? Your run attack has only one blocking scheme and it's all based strictly on outside runs with inside runs happening on accident? God, I've seen better schemes by high school coaches.

His RG and RT were getting torched in pass protection and he did nothing until injuries forced his hand? WTF kinda coach is he? When he did go to gap blocking as I said for weeks he needed to do, he coached it poorly. Half the time his guys didn't know what they were doing. But McVay fires the RB coach only? Either no one is reviewing the game tape or whoever is doesn't know what they are looking at.

Noteboom will be the LT this year and into the future and will be fine.

Corbett earned the LG spot.

Allen graded out higher than Sullivan did last year in the games Allen played. He will be their starting C.

I still say Evans needs to move inside to RG. Enough of these OG types playing OT. Haven't they seen enough of that with Havenstein? Another brilliant Kromer move.

Edwards was drafted IMO to replace Havenstein, so he should do so going forward as the RT.

Brewer and Shelton give them the game day swings they need. Brewer can play OT & OG. Shelton can play C and OG. Trewyn gives them their #8 active roster o-lineman.

Blythe has been the weak link for 2 years so it makes no sense to bring him back. Whitworth's age is clearly showing and IMO he's done as a player.