Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed. I think Kromer had quite the roller coaster of production and not all of it was his fault but still. He proved me wrong in a lot of ways but regardless the moment where I knew something was up with him was when he started Boom over Edwards. There is just no fucking universe where that made sense.

IMO in that call his ego or whatever it was led to playing the not-best candidate and I think that may be part of the whole picture you allude to.
I don’t know ? The season before in 2019 to start both Brian Allen at Center & Joesph Noteboom at LG was crazy while cutting Sullivan.Austin Blythe as your starting RG.
Looking back a thinking WTF is going on ??????!? Your sitting Noteboom & Brian Allen in the WHOLE Preseason!!!

REALLY????? 2 players with NO NFL EXPERIENCE!!!! Mcvay WADS(what a dumb crap) move.

In 2020 I was surprised Corbett was switch to RG.Yes and Noteboom starting.Edwards has played well,but I’m all for open competition. We can say what we want about players.It’s still about developing players & making The Rams team better.

Demby,Allen, & Noteboom are 2018 draft picks & have 3 seasons of NFL experience.This is there contract year.
Now with a New OLine Coaches.
—Let OTA’s start this next month ??

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nice CGI - but try harder. Victims.Aren’t we all.

View: https://youtu.be/--iRIoHOzrA

Not sure what the cube has in place for Austin Blythe,but in my book.No matter how much he got thrown around he was an overachiever with The Rams. His salary cap,leadership,& knowledge of The Rams(McVays) offense last was priceless. Even though he was not a True Guard in The NFL he got The Rams to The SuperBowl.
My believe as well is if McKromer was smart in 2018! Add Les SNEAD!!!
The Rams would have had a good chance to repeat to The Super Bowl.

Brian Allen was a wasted DRAFT PICK!!! Austin Blythe would have been the ULTIMATE backup G/C.John Sullivan should have never been cut.The Rams needed to find a Rught Guard & not some Marvin Hagler tough guy look alike.
Then develop maybe a UDRFA to develop under those 2 players.As much as some want to say about Joesph Noteboom he could have filled that RG spot as well,but behind Andrew Whitworth mentoring him Mcvay would have had such a good structure that he is trying to still build with The Rams organization.

priceless? You don’t think Les may have overstated that in his ramblings? There are 32 other teams that have centers. Many are better than Blythe. Some have back ups better than Blythe.

Don’t put too much into what Snead said about Blythe. He can’t come out and say,” Yep we are moving on from Austin”. He has to keep all options open in the case that he’s their only one. Burning bridges is a bad thing, especially at 35 million over the cap.

We have all seen Blythe enough to know that he’s not good. Sullivan was done too. Watch any of the 2018 losses and you could see the number one reason was those two could not handle their blocking duties. Moving Blythe to center was out of necessity. He’s the best center they have. Think what that says about the other centers on the roster. It’s funny to think that center is this impossible to fill mystery position that requires some ultra intelligent brainiac to man the position. So much so that the Rams felt it was worth sacrificing the overall play of the team for.
It’s even funnier when you think about how bad Blythe is at picking up stunts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It might be that in part some of Austin Blythe's value as starting center was tied in with our previous QB the last 2 seasons .....like Blythe assisted the previous QB more than we know in making all those calls before the snap. There is no doubt in my mind that Blythe has very good skills in many areas but his best skills might now not be needed as much. @Merlin captured my thoughts on Blythe in only a few words in yesterday's post. That was one of Merlin's best posts in a long time!:fistbump::biggrin:

Now with a new QB is Blythe worth & value more or less?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It might be that in part some of Austin Blythe's value as starting center was tied in with our previous QB the last 2 seasons .....like Blythe assisted the previous QB more than we know in making all those calls before the snap. There is no doubt in my mind that Blythe has very good skills in many areas but his best skills might now not be needed as much. @Merlin captured my thoughts on Blythe in only a few words in yesterday's post. That was one of Merlin's best posts in a long time!:fistbump::biggrin:

Yeah - I look back at this whole Brian Allen,John Sullivan,& Austin Blythe at center thing under Sean Mcvay.
I’ll still say Brian Allen was a wasted pick. John Sullivan should have been kepted on The Rams roster for whatever his contract cost was.I also think Austin Blythe got stuck in between Sullivan & Allen because of That BAD (DUMB) DRAFT pick.
We all know what Roger Saffold meant to The Rams SuperBowl run.We also understood The Rams could not resign him.If you go back it is easy to see why The Rams did not make The Playoffs with such a talented team.(have to McSnead did well w/Corbett &Ramsey).
Anyway I don’t know what is in store at Center.We can debate Austin Blythe & The Rams center spot. As well as the direction The Rams will or should take ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

New qb in a new system. Might be better not to overhaul. Continuity will be so important. Unless there are obvious upgrades

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
New qb in a new system. Might be better not to overhaul. Continuity will be so important. Unless there are obvious upgrades

That is what McSnead is saying as of now. Will know soon on what they really think. McSnead really messed up by drafting Brian Allen. Austin Blythe has shown he can be a NFL center,but the truth is he would be worth more as the backup C/G.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is what McSnead is saying as of now. Will know soon on what they really think. McSnead really messed up by drafting Brian Allen. Austin Blythe has shown he can be a NFL center,but the truth is he would be worth more as the backup C/G.
I think Alan was a fourth round pick so I'm not really too upset at Sneed that it didn't work out. Also Blythe was a great find by them.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good point Rally. With a new QB, whoever the rams go with at C, continuity will be an issue as the OL, (new C) will have to get to know Stafford.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good point Rally. With a new QB, whoever the rams go with at C, continuity will be an issue as the OL, (new C) will have to get to know Stafford.
Right, like Stafford already has to read the defense, read for blitzes, call out protections ,call out audibles, etc. it would be nice to just have a guy who can call that stuff out for him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Alan was a fourth round pick so I'm not really too upset at Sneed that it didn't work out. Also Blythe was a great find by them.

Well your 1,000!% right with Austin Blythe.He helped Mcvay get to the Playoffs as early as 2017. Then taken over at RG on the way to The SuperBowl was amazing in itself. The fact being he imo is he was a tweener & more of a Center type.
The Rams needed a RG in 2019. Edwards & Evans were Great Picks & Brewer we will see was another excellent FIND. Mcvay knows he messed up by letting John Sullivan go. Whitworth & Blythe were both upset.
They had an excellent relationship. Even if Sullivan was the backup to Austin Blythe he still could have been a key backup & Blythe moved back to guard due to injury.
Still Corbett was an excellent pick up & The Rams have more depth because of the growth of Edwards & Edwards. Brewer is coming in fresh with a year to get himself right.Whitworth is such an excellent mentor & Noteboom is ready to fill in,if not compete at any starting(minus C). Spot.
This is & has been the way I’ve seen it. The Rams will need to make big time decisions now & Even Bigger in 2022.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ready to close the book on Brian Allen as a Ram OL'er?

Right, like Stafford already has to read the defense, read for blitzes, call out protections ,call out audibles, etc. it would be nice to just have a guy who can call that stuff out for him.
Ram_Rally....I believe you just described above center Austin Blythe's best skills & abilities.

Why waste the rare Ram salary cap $$$ on resigning Blythe as a reserve OC or OG? Do we not have already signed under contract reserve OC's & OG's in an effort to groom them for the future starters? i.e. Coleman Shelton, Tremayne Anchrum, Chandler Brewer & Bobby Evans.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
.......... I’ll still say Brian Allen was a wasted pick.
I am not there with you on this. I still think that Brian Allen has one last chance here. I am going to wait before proclaiming the end for Allen as a Ram OL'er.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Hope I’m wrong but I think Blythe is back. If that happens, then even more so I hope we draft OC with our first pick - maybe ready to take over late in season for an ineffective Blythe (wishful thinking).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Ram_Rally....I believe you just described above center Austin Blythe's best skills & abilities.

Why waste the rare Ram salary cap $$$ on resigning Blythe as a reserve OC or OG? Do we not have already signed under contract reserve OC's & OG's in an effort to groom them for the future starters? i.e. Coleman Shelton, Tremayne Anchrum, Chandler Brewer & Bobby Evans.

That was then & this is NOW!!! The Rams having Drafted Brian Allen was a & will always be a CRAP PICK. Doesn’t bring back John Sullivan getting cut & Rams not making the playoffs. The Rams should have signed a Veteran FA Guard in 2019,but Brian Allen forced there hand & started Austin Blythe at Guard & Brian Allen at Center.

YEAH !!! I WANT that again. Lmao . Pure
Joke of a OL with 3 22 year old rookies for depth. Go ask Mcvay & Whitworth how that worked out. Yes Andrew Whitworth said so as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am not there with you on this. I still think that Brian Allen has one last chance here. I am going to wait before proclaiming the end for Allen as a Ram OL'er.

Well let’s hope all is well if it ends well. Here is to Hope & Faith this Sunday. His injury may have been worst than thought. I saw him make a catch & also talking crap on the sidelines. Looked like he was into the game. Not sure he is that team leader & team mate I would want imo.A little say corn feed for me & not because of where he comes from. Just his attitude. Not knowing him is not a fair judgement either. Bad steel type.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent (yahoo.com)
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent
Cameron DaSilva
Mon, March 15, 2021

At the start of the legal tampering period, the Rams sat $33 million over the salary cap. Signing outside free agents will obviously be difficult, as will re-signing their own pending free agents. They just don’t have the money to make big splashes this year.

But the Rams will likely get at least a handful of deals done with some of their key free agents, so long as they don’t get significantly outbid on the open market.

With the legal tampering period open and the official start of free agency upon us, we predicted whether each Rams free agent will be re-signed or leave for another team.

Center UFA Austin Blythe

4600b91fd160873c4d52805ba4e07439

The comments from Les Snead and Sean McVay this offseason make it clear that the Rams value Blythe and would like to bring him back. It won't come cheap, but they'll find a way to keep him in Los Angeles with a multi-year extension.

Prediction: Signs three-year, $26 million deal with Rams

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent (yahoo.com)
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent
Cameron DaSilva
Mon, March 15, 2021

At the start of the legal tampering period, the Rams sat $33 million over the salary cap. Signing outside free agents will obviously be difficult, as will re-signing their own pending free agents. They just don’t have the money to make big splashes this year.

But the Rams will likely get at least a handful of deals done with some of their key free agents, so long as they don’t get significantly outbid on the open market.

With the legal tampering period open and the official start of free agency upon us, we predicted whether each Rams free agent will be re-signed or leave for another team.

Center UFA Austin Blythe

4600b91fd160873c4d52805ba4e07439

The comments from Les Snead and Sean McVay this offseason make it clear that the Rams value Blythe and would like to bring him back. It won't come cheap, but they'll find a way to keep him in Los Angeles with a multi-year extension.

Prediction: Signs three-year, $26 million deal with Rams

:poop: