Rams “Definitely” Value Austin Blythe

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent (yahoo.com)
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent
Cameron DaSilva
Mon, March 15, 2021

At the start of the legal tampering period, the Rams sat $33 million over the salary cap. Signing outside free agents will obviously be difficult, as will re-signing their own pending free agents. They just don’t have the money to make big splashes this year.

But the Rams will likely get at least a handful of deals done with some of their key free agents, so long as they don’t get significantly outbid on the open market.

With the legal tampering period open and the official start of free agency upon us, we predicted whether each Rams free agent will be re-signed or leave for another team.

Center UFA Austin Blythe

4600b91fd160873c4d52805ba4e07439

The comments from Les Snead and Sean McVay this offseason make it clear that the Rams value Blythe and would like to bring him back. It won't come cheap, but they'll find a way to keep him in Los Angeles with a multi-year extension.

Prediction: Signs three-year, $26 million deal with Rams
He is NOT worth over $8M a year. Where is this bozo getting this prediction?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent (yahoo.com)
Stay or leave: Predicting the futures of every Rams free agent
Cameron DaSilva
Mon, March 15, 2021

At the start of the legal tampering period, the Rams sat $33 million over the salary cap. Signing outside free agents will obviously be difficult, as will re-signing their own pending free agents. They just don’t have the money to make big splashes this year.

But the Rams will likely get at least a handful of deals done with some of their key free agents, so long as they don’t get significantly outbid on the open market.

With the legal tampering period open and the official start of free agency upon us, we predicted whether each Rams free agent will be re-signed or leave for another team.

Center UFA Austin Blythe

4600b91fd160873c4d52805ba4e07439

The comments from Les Snead and Sean McVay this offseason make it clear that the Rams value Blythe and would like to bring him back. It won't come cheap, but they'll find a way to keep him in Los Angeles with a multi-year extension.

He looks small just sitting there. He just doesn't have NFL strength. Always getting walked back into the QB. Misses important blocks for our run game. I'd offer him maybe 2x vet min with the understanding he'll be the backup.
I don't trust Allen either, it was he that tossed a DE into Whit's (Boom's ?) leg -- this isn't the WWE for cryin' out loud. Wrestled in college, you just can't do that here -- RB's will never know which side you're throwing a DL'er to, so where's the run lane??

We gotta get a C in F/A or the draft. With #9 now officially on board, HE can make the protection calls & help out a rookie, so then we can get a big stud C early & stop worrying about this position for a few seasons. If not, this will be the THIRD season we've not addressed one of the most crucial positions on the OL. Corbett might be worth kicking the tires on at this position too, maybe he could be the backup w/ Allen third string?? but Mr. Demoff, PLEASE don't waste one cent on Blythe.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not there with you on this. I still think that Brian Allen has one last chance here. I am going to wait before proclaiming the end for Allen as a Ram OL'er.

I think it’s even more certain he’s gone after Snead’s comments about not even being sure how he functions on the field after rehabbing a very serious injury.

It doesn’t sound like he’s got much faith in Allen being a fallback option at Center

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think it’s even more certain he’s gone after Snead’s comments about not even being sure how he functions on the field after rehabbing a very serious injury. It doesn’t sound like he’s got much faith in Allen being a fallback option at Center
Sure did. We never really heard much on the center Brian Allen injury as we did of the rest. Allen who did return to play in 2020 was on the injury list for most of the 2020 season listed as Knee!

The time Training Camp begins it will be getting close to 22 months since the injury as a starter. In July Snead/Mcvay & Carberry will finally get to see just how much Allen has done in rehabbing & how much stronger & healthier he might be. Allen was one serious competitor in college I would think he will overcome this issue with his knee & play an important part in this OL cadre for the 2021 season.

Hopefully, we will finally get to see Center Coleman Shelton too in pre-season & getting information earlier from our TC reporters!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Right, like Stafford already has to read the defense, read for blitzes, call out protections ,call out audibles, etc. it would be nice to just have a guy who can call that stuff out for him.
It would be nice. But let's say they interview all these centers in the draft and oh idk Drake is the guy who mentally impresses them with his sharpness and they take him.

If he really is sharp he'll have a full camp with a seasoned QB overlooking every single call he makes in practice which means he should learn fast. It does put a drain on Stafford. But if the tradeoff is an explosive run game and a pocket the QB can actually step up in or even better an OL that gels into a top unit prior to this year's playoffs... It's probably worth it.

Also if they like Corbs as a center or even as a depth option that might prevent them wasting money on a FA addition who will lose his job to the rook anyway.

7JUe.gif

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be nice. But let's say they interview all these centers in the draft and oh idk Drake is the guy who mentally impresses them with his sharpness and they take him.

If he really is sharp he'll have a full camp with a seasoned QB overlooking every single call he makes in practice which means he should learn fast. It does put a drain on Stafford. But if the tradeoff is an explosive run game and a pocket the QB can actually step up in or even better an OL that gels into a top unit prior to this year's playoffs... It's probably worth it.

Also if they like Corbs as a center or even as a depth option that might prevent them wasting money on a FA addition who will lose his job to the rook anyway.

7JUe.gif
Even if jackson impressed I think they'd want to bring him along slowly. So draft jackson and give Blythe a 2 year, 13 million dollar deal and let the kid grow into it.

Tano

Legend
Even if jackson impressed I think they'd want to bring him along slowly. So draft jackson and give Blythe a 2 year, 13 million dollar deal and let the kid grow into it.
Still too high

I would be bringing back Blythe as a back-up only at a back-up rate

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still too high

I would be bringing back Blythe as a back-up only at a back-up rate
yeah I highly doubt that's going to happen lol I hear you though, but it's going to be hard to sell to Blythe's agent that you're going to draft to rookie in the midgrounds and expect them to start on a super bowl caliber offensive line. You might get them for like 3 million a year. But backup money is like one.

Tano

Legend
yeah I highly doubt that's going to happen lol I hear you though, but it's going to be hard to sell to Blythe's agent that you're going to draft to rookie in the midgrounds and expect them to start on a super bowl caliber offensive line. You might get them for like 3 million a year. But backup money is like one.
Oh I completely agree. Part of my statement is sarcastic because I have Blythe so much on 3rd and long.

I know he and his agent believe he is a starter in this league whereby I would only include on the team if I had a learning rookie center that I could bring in to handle a bull rush on 3rd and long. Pipe dream but that's the only way I would allow Blythe back.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I don't think anybody on this board was as high as I was on Blythe starting for us last year.

And he performed about how I figured he would.
I would give him a solid B.

Still not good enough and I would like to see them at least attempt an upgrade.

Slide Corbett over to Center and put Evans in at Right Guard.

Run with it.

Tano

Legend
I don't think anybody on this board was as high as I was on Blythe starting for us last year.

Run with it.

I would give him a B- on run plays
And actually a B on 1st down pass plays and 2nd down and short

But on second and long and third and long - F

That's how bad he was - go watch his blocking skills on those downs

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
I don't want him starting at C even if he plays for free.

While I definitely hope the Rams upgrade their Center position I am thinking that there is still a very good chance they re-sign Blythe even if it is on a short term basis so might as well hope that IF they do they can get him cheap (At least cheaper than originally anticipated!)!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Run with it.

Weird how you can say both.Then Corbett after liking Blythe.
Blythe was a pure Center playing guard because of necessity. No Brainer of his value last season,especially with Covid.
Corbett is a myth at Center that has never played there.Cleveland had a deep O”Line & never got a chance.
-I just look at The Rams Roster & think how wow still this Mirrage.Wonder what the Vegas odds would be.

dang

Legend

Run with it.
IMO as a starter he was a C- As an NFL lineman he was a B. Which means he would be a good backup but doesn’t measure up to a good starter.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
No FA center signing. Blythe still a FA. Sure looks like center will be someone already on the roster. After listening to recent comments on video by McVay Snead and Kromer talking up T Anchrum, They all hint that he can play anywhere on the OL. Could he possibly be rams next center? 6'2, 320lbs, long wingspan, high football IQ, comes from highly successful college (Clemson), 30+ college starts. Anchrum has all the measureables to be a center.

With Staford now Rams QB, it lessens the need for center to make all the OL calls.

No way to know until TC unless they actually come out out and say they're trying Anchrum out at center. I have a sneaking suspicion they already have and like what they've seen.