Quick and Dirty Mock to 19 after 1st round FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
That list is quite inspiring, It is well thought out and leaves me optimistic for a great first round for our Boyz.
I think it's going to be an awesome draft. This draft seems to be right in the Rams wheelhouse.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Newton should be on this list. Great DT pass rusher. Him and Turner could push the middle and collapse the pocket. Just saying, different ways to skin a cat.
I like Newton too, but others rate Murphy higher.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Newton should prob be on the list of guys to consider at 19 but that felt a bit high for him. If I'm gonna include both Robinson's, I should include him too.

That being said, I think there are going to be a few trades which might make things go a bit sideways so it's definitely gonna be a hard mock this year.

I think it's crazy but I think there's an outside chance that either Nix or Penix and maybe like a 1% chance both sneak into first and maybe just maybe Nix goes before our pick.

I can't make an argument for either in the 1st but it just takes one team and I think those teams are Denver for Nix and Raiders for Penix.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like Newton too, but others rate Murphy higher.
I've heard Newton may have a higher ceiling but a lower floor. Murphy is probably the safer pick. He's rated a little higher than Newton on the NFL site. If they don't go DT with the first pick an interesting prospect is T'Vondra Sweat. At 366 pounds he'd definitely draw double teams on run plays. But he may not last to #52.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I've heard Newton may have a higher ceiling but a lower floor. Murphy is probably the safer pick. He's rated a little higher than Newton on the NFL site. If they don't go DT with the first pick an interesting prospect is T'Vondra Sweat. At 366 pounds he'd definitely draw double teams on run plays. But he may not last to #52.
I think @JimY53 made a good point, can these guys play gap-1/2? I don't think it's terribly hard to look at these guys and see who might be able to 1 gap and who might be able to 2 gap but there's a bit of projection for a lot of these guys to understand who can play gap-1/2.

Maybe Murphy, maybe Newton, maybe Sweat (though I think I have more questions there - can he get a bit of penetration that I think you need with gap 1/2?) Don't you need to be able to penetrate a bit (not as much as 1 gap) in gap and 1/2?

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wonder if Green Bay would do a swap of their 25, 41 & 126 for our 19, 52 & 254 (value adds up to 1255.5 us to 1256 them)? That gives us a much better chance to get a couple of higher impact players early, and adds that 4th rounder that you know Snead wants.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Everytime I watch Newton's tape tho, he's making plays in the backfield. I just think he's better than Murphy quite honestly. His burst going after the QB is insane for a guy his size.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wonder if Green Bay would do a swap of their 25, 41 & 126 for our 19, 52 & 254 (value adds up to 1255.5 us to 1256 them)? That gives us a much better chance to get a couple of higher impact players early, and adds that 4th rounder that you know Snead wants.
Possibly if there's a tackle there that they like. Other than that, their holes on D are our holes on D, no? We'd be looking at the same peep.s

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like going Edge in round one and then if Sweat is gone, I really like Kris Jenkins from Michigan in round two. Loved his Dad and Rams like lineage.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possibly if there's a tackle there that they like. Other than that, their holes on D are our holes on D, no? We'd be looking at the same peep.s
Well, now for are confusing the issue with facts ... ;)

Very valid point.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I can't help but to wonder if Murphy would be rated higher if Newton didn't play the final 6 games with a broken bone in his foot. :unsure:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can't help but to wonder if Murphy would be rated higher if Newton didn't play the final 6 games with a broken bone in his foot. :unsure:
I mean, maybe that's not a bad thing. Still a good chance Murphy is gone before 19. Newton most likely to be there. And if Rams love him, why not take him at 19.

That being said, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Murphy and Newton go before Verse and Latu.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
From what I have been seeing it is looking like the Rams could very well take the first DT off the board at 19.

Tano

Legend
Bold move, Cotton.
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Who would you be looking at at #25? I know #41 puts a lot of people realistically in play. I would like the the Rams to have THAT pick.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Newton should prob be on the list of guys to consider at 19 but that felt a bit high for him. If I'm gonna include both Robinson's, I should include him too.

That being said, I think there are going to be a few trades which might make things go a bit sideways so it's definitely gonna be a hard mock this year.

I think it's crazy but I think there's an outside chance that either Nix or Penix and maybe like a 1% chance both sneak into first and maybe just maybe Nix goes before our pick.

I can't make an argument for either in the 1st but it just takes one team and I think those teams are Denver for Nix and Raiders for Penix.
I know most sites have Newton after 20. I disagree with them. I see him as a 8-15 range player. He was my biggest draft crush at the end of the college season and I have circled back around to believing his a future elite penetrator. In two years with an NFL weight program he could be sculpted and improve his quickness. He will never be AD but he could be as close as anyone expects a regular player to get to that role.
Newton is still my number one hope for the Rams pick at 19.