Our oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DR RAM said:
There is some really great knowledge and very little BS in this forum. If we come up with a question each week, there are several peeps here that can answer it. Part of what makes football great...there are many answers to the same question.

As far as the 5th guy, I'd like to see Chris Williams step up and be that guy, or Rok, but from last year, the guy that played the most consistent was Shelley Smith. Problem with Smith is that he just isn't big or strong enough for my liking. If he took a big step in improving his strength in the off season, then in my eyes, he's a viable option.
I really like what I saw of Chris Williams during our two last games when he played the ORG post for Harvey. When CW had some cameo appearances @ ORT for Barry Richardson CW did not look good. Matter of fact Sam had put on a very long drive BR went out and on two back to back plays CW was beat bad the last play resulted in a big hit and sack on Sam that shut down the drive. We never saw CW back in @ OT.

When CW got his chance later @ ORG with Shelley Smith rotation, CW looked like a different player with a burning desire to hit. Smith started the game but as the games wore on and when passing was the primary desire CW stayed in longer and longer. Even on the run blocking he was the last Ol'er to stop his blocking sometime being close to borderline penalty. Does anyone else recall seeing this?

CW had been tried @ OLG by the Bears but was forced back to OT duty when injuries struck them. Last yr the Rams had CW listed as a OT this yrs roster has him listed as a OG. CW has well over two inches & 20 pounds on Shelley Smith but being here this season having both saw starting action as Rams, puts us in a good position in 2013. Shelley Smith may be better suited for a ZBS OL team. If the bigger interior OL'ers work out well (CW & Watkins & Washington) then I could see Shelley Smith return to the Texans.

Found this in rotoworld thought this would fit with Dr Ram & my long posts yesterday reference bettlejuice Saffold:
The former first-round pick proved a hot commodity after being released by the Bears last week, drawing at least four workouts. He could see time at tackle with both Wayne Hunter and Rodger Saffold banged up, but he'll likely get more snaps at guard. Left guard is Williams' best position, and the Rams released Quinn Ojinnaka .....

He figures to latch on with the highest one-year bidder. Williams would be smart to pick a team willing to let him play left guard, where he has played his best ball.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4722/chris-williams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4722/chris-williams</a>

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
BonifayRam said:
DR RAM said:
There is some really great knowledge and very little BS in this forum. If we come up with a question each week, there are several peeps here that can answer it. Part of what makes football great...there are many answers to the same question.

As far as the 5th guy, I'd like to see Chris Williams step up and be that guy, or Rok, but from last year, the guy that played the most consistent was Shelley Smith. Problem with Smith is that he just isn't big or strong enough for my liking. If he took a big step in improving his strength in the off season, then in my eyes, he's a viable option.
I really like what I saw of Chris Williams during our two last games when he played the ORG post for Harvey. When CW had some cameo appearances @ ORT for Barry Richardson CW did not look good. Matter of fact Sam had put on a very long drive BR went out and on two back to back plays CW was beat bad the last play resulted in a big hit and sack on Sam that shut down the drive. We never saw CW back in @ OT.

When CW got his chance later @ ORG with Shelley Smith rotation, CW looked like a different player with a burning desire to hit. Smith started the game but as the games wore on and when passing was the primary desire CW stayed in longer and longer. Even on the run blocking he was the last Ol'er to stop his blocking sometime being close to borderline penalty. Does anyone else recall seeing this?

CW had been tried @ OLG by the Bears but was forced back to OT duty when injuries struck them. Last yr the Rams had CW listed as a OT this yrs roster has him listed as a OG. CW has well over two inches & 20 pounds on Shelley Smith but being here this season having both saw starting action as Rams, puts us in a good position in 2013. Shelley Smith may be better suited for a ZBS OL team. If the bigger interior OL'ers work out well (CW & Watkins & Washington) then I could see Shelley Smith return to the Texans.

Found this in rotoworld thought this would fit with Dr Ram & my long posts yesterday reference bettlejuice Saffold:
The former first-round pick proved a hot commodity after being released by the Bears last week, drawing at least four workouts. He could see time at tackle with both Wayne Hunter and Rodger Saffold banged up, but he'll likely get more snaps at guard. Left guard is Williams' best position, and the Rams released Quinn Ojinnaka .....

He figures to latch on with the highest one-year bidder. Williams would be smart to pick a team willing to let him play left guard, where he has played his best ball.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4722/chris-williams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4722/chris-williams</a>
I agree with you on Williams at Guard, he was a revolving door at RT the game he played, but I gave him a flyer because he was with us all of a couple of days. Boudreau didn't have a chance to work with him yet, and Williams technique was pretty bad that game. I seem to remember him lunging a lot, and then not being able to recover once he lost his balance.

Looks like the Rams see him as a Guard this year after getting an extended look at him, hopefully they can still coach him up, if he isn't the starter, so that he can play multiple positions efficiently to go along with the rest of the team's theme this year...versatility.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
jap said:
It's got to feel great! for Sam to have two bookend tackles defining the extreme limits of the pocket. We've got Wells and Dahl at C and RG, respectively. As long as we can truly solidify that LG spot, Sam will have his very first Battering Ram OL. We all know Couch Bou will only field the very best starting five.
Hey jap how long has it been since the Rams have had two very good bookend OT's? Does it really mean that much to have to good OT's?

Loosing Seasons
2012-Saffold,Hunter, Richardson & Barksdale
2011-LeVoir, T.Welch, J.Smith, Saffold,Dahl
2010-Saffold & J. Smith & Goldberg
2009-A.Barron, J.Smith & Goldberg
2008-O.Pace & A.Barron & Goldberg
2007-A.Barron, B.Gorin & Goldberg
2006-O.Pace. T Steussie, A.Barron
2005-O.Pace, A.Barron & Goldberg
2004-O.Pace, Grant Williams & B.Saipaia
2002-O.Pace, Grant Williams & J.St Claire

Winning Seasons
In 2003 Rams went 12-4 with Orlando Pace & Kyle Turley as bookends.
In 2001 Rams went 14-2 with Orlando Pace & Ryan Tucker trip to SB.
In 2000 Rams went 10-6 with Pace & Tucker
In 1999 Rams went 13-3 with Pace & Fred Miller trip to SB

Last yr Rams had four starters @ OT with Chris Williams getting in on some plays @ ORT. We would seem to be in much better condition with our two starting OT's since maybe Pace & Turley days a decade ago. This real issue is who is THIRD OT? :boohoo:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BonifayRam said:
jap said:
It's got to feel great! for Sam to have two bookend tackles defining the extreme limits of the pocket. We've got Wells and Dahl at C and RG, respectively. As long as we can truly solidify that LG spot, Sam will have his very first Battering Ram OL. We all know Couch Bou will only field the very best starting five.
Hey jap how long has it been since the Rams have had two very good bookend OT's? Does it really mean that much to have to good OT's?

Loosing Seasons

Winning Seasons
Good point. And nice job illustrating it

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It means a lot, but all of the other pieces have to be cohesive as well. It only takes one missed block to get your QB killed. We saw that a lot in 2011. Different guys missing blocks like it was the plague.

To me the value of having Rodger Saffold on the team, is that is Jake Long has to miss a play or two, Saffold will be able to step in and we will have very little to no drop-off in play, as long as we develop a guy that can play RT in his stead. RT is easier to replace than LT, as we all know.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I'm probably going to be a broken record on this subject, but Long is going to be so so essential to the pass pro this year. Whether it's the Falcons with Osi, the Cowboys with Ware, the 49ers with Smith, the Bears with Peppers, the list goes on and on with teams that centralize their pass rush with a guy from the blindside generating the rush and opening up opportunities for everyone else.

If Long is able to stand that guy up without requiring a double, Bradford will get the time he needs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
DR RAM said:

I felt that way early with Smith, but when he & Williams were playing shuffle guard when Dahl went down, it was clear that Willaims was superior. Not only at the point of attack on running downs where thus lies Williams strength, but on passing downs as well. Smith seemed to get pushed back quite a bit where as Williams held up much better and seemed to pick up the stunts as well.

Overall IMO that's why the Rams brought Williams back with an incentive laden contract. Seems that Williams being bigger at 6-6 315lbs has the edge over Smith and from the neck up has an edge over Rok.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
den-the-coach said:
I felt that way early with Smith, but when he & Williams were playing shuffle guard when Dahl went down, it was clear that Willaims was superior. Not only at the point of attack on running downs where thus lies Williams strength, but on passing downs as well. Smith seemed to get pushed back quite a bit where as Williams held up much better and seemed to pick up the stunts as well.

Overall IMO that's why the Rams brought Williams back with an incentive laden contract. Seems that Williams being bigger at 6-6 315lbs has the edge over Smith and from the neck up has an edge over Rok.

Hey den-the-coach, do you recall for years back the big knock on CW was he did not like to run block??? go figure ? After what we saw during his time replacing Harvey? It was extremely surprising! :shock: if anyone has any thoughts here that we are just blowing hot bad air here on CW I would invite the review of those last two games.

Dr Ram mentioned CW lunging issues well known in Chicago.... similar to Jason Smith issues too. The light may have come on with this once top first round draft pick now that CW has been thrown down to the depths of waverland & waiver material street walker after being the savior of the Bears OL back in 2008. Boudreau may have been able to instruct & teach CW enough late last yr to rekindle CW courage to go out and kick some butt? :amped:

CW has played in 53 NFL games and started 38 of them most of those starts were @ OLT he had some @ ORT & OLG he had not seen ORG until 2012 with the Rams. CW may not be the starter @ OLG but he would make an excellent emergency suited up game day OL'er who could be plugged in @ four OL positions. CW could also be the first relief or third Ram OG this season. No telling what a full TC & pre season from CW under Boudreau refurbishing project will turn out? CW may not be the 5th Ol'er but he sure could be a good 6th OL.

OG Shelley Smith may just be too small @ 6-4 under 300 pounds to start & play Right OG in Boudreau's OL. This ORG posts usually see's eye to eye with some very big hasty NT/DT's. Shelley Smith is a pure left OG type period! If SS does not win this OLG starting post outright then his value to this Ram OL as the third OG goes down dramatically. Your back ups who are limited to one or two posts unless it's a vital position like OLT just makes SS value go down. But with CW you have a back up who can cover many posts his value goes up.

In college 2012 5th rd pick OL'er 6-3 338 Rok Watkins has played all four OL positions except center...2012 6th rd pick 6-4 320 Brandon Washington has played four OL positions except center....2013 4th rd pick 6-5 305 Barrett Jones has won all kinds of awards playing three OL positions and has started one time or another all five OL positions. Late August if you have not nailed down a starters post the above kind of versatility wins you a 53 man roster spot.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
BonifayRam said:
jap said:

Loosing Seasons

Winning Seasons
Good point. And nice job illustrating it

Cosign. Well said BonifayRam.

I haven't been this optimistic about the oline going way back to when we drafted Alex Barron... and that didn't work out.

This year; we have PROVEN tackles in Long and Saffold. It feels so good!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RE: Chris Williams... OLG is his spot to lose.

jap

Legend
BonifayRam said:
jap said:

Loosing Seasons

Winning Seasons

Last yr Rams had four starters @ OT with Chris Williams getting in on some plays @ ORT. We would seem to be in much better condition with our two starting OT's since maybe Pace & Turley days a decade ago. This real issue is who is THIRD OT? :boohoo:

Nice listing! Give Sam an effective pass blocking OL with no key injuries to receivers, the front five or Sam the Ram himself, and we may see Sam eclipse 4000 or 4500 yards.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
I still say we need a thread somthing like

Breakdown by Dr ram lol

You could break down different packages formations and such. Like one a week. You seem to have a good grip on the game and the ability to break it down
Oh he will. :cool:

DR RAM is our resident O-Line aficionado.

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING is better than Quinn Ojinnaka. Seriously. I know I've harped on this before, and he may be a great person, but he doesn't belong anywhere remotely close to a professional football field. He single handedly lost games for us imo, and I'm not exaggerating.

It's a miracle we did what we did with what happened honestly. I think people forget the fucking state the line was in last year. Even before the season started.

The health and production of the oline is paramount to anything else in the offense hands down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
yup, we didn't give him the big bucks to sit on the bench. There is a plan
train

Yep he is getting more than our starting ORT. Does indicate the value that Fisher & Boudreau think of Chris Williams but they also paid 2.5 mil for reserve OT Wayne Hunter last yr too. But it should be added that he was part of the trade that got rid of the odor of Jason Smith.

Lowest to highest paid current Ram OL'ers

#11-Rok Watkins $405k (Reserve OLG/ORT)
#10-Ty Nsekhe $480K (Reserve OLT)
#9-Tim Barnes $480K (Reserve Center)
#8-Brandon Washington $484K (Reserve OLG/ORT)
#7-Joe Barksdale $555K (Reserve OLT)
#6-Shelley Smith $575K ( former starter @ OLG/ORG)
#5-Rodger Saffold $888K (Starter ORT)
#4-Chris Williams $1.376 mil (Reserve OLG/ORG)
#3-Harvey Dahl $4mil (starter ORG)
#2-Jake Long $8mil (Starter OLG)
#1-Scott Wells $$13 mil (2012/2013) (Starter OC)

While I think that Chris Williams will get a ton of action in TC & pre season @ OLG and some ORG & ORT. I am not ready to sign this post over to him as the starter yet. Snead & Fisher have brought in a gang of college LEFT OG's to have a free for all in securing a good bonified starter by the last game of pre season.

Brandon Washington 6-4 320 pounder was a left side starter who starter 2 yrs @ OLG and 1 yr @ OLT, he was known for being able to consistency shoot out of his OLG stance into his man & being fully talented to be able to play in an up-tempo, no-huddle offense! Rok Watkins was also a OLG starter until his sr season when he played ORT & OLT, Shelley Smith was a 3 yr starter in college @ OLG is very light & does not seem to really fit this Ram non ZBS. UDFA Kenny Saia 6-2 310 was also a 4 yr starter @ OLG in college. Then there is Barrett Jones who has started & played center & ORG however when he played & started the left side blind-side tackle position in 2011. All Jones did from that left side was ....earned the Outland Trophy as the nation's top lineman as well as the Jacobs Blocking Trophy (SEC's top offensive lineman) and was a consensus All-American!

That's a half dozen candidates for that open OLG starting post.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BonifayRam said:
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
train

Yep he is getting more than our starting ORT. Does indicate the value that Fisher & Boudreau think of Chris Williams but they also paid 2.5 mil for reserve OT Wayne Hunter last yr too. But it should be added that he was part of the trade that got rid of the odor of Jason Smith.

While I think that Chris Williams will get a ton of action in TC & pre season @ OLG and some ORG & ORT. I am not ready to sign this post over to him as the starter yet. Snead & Fisher have brought in a gang of college LEFT OG's to have a free for all in securing a good bonified starter by the last game of pre season.

Brandon Washington 6-4 320 pounder was a left side starter who starter 2 yrs @ OLG and 1 yr @ OLT, he was known for being able to consistency shoot out of his OLG stance into his man & being fully talented to be able to play in an up-tempo, no-huddle offense! Rok Watkins was also a OLG starter until his sr season when he played ORT & OLT, Shelley Smith was a 3 yr starter in college @ OLG is very light & does not seem to really fit this Ram non ZBS. UDFA Kenny Saia 6-2 310 was also a 4 yr starter @ OLG in college. Then there is Barrett Jones who has started & played center & ORG however when he played & started the left side blind-side tackle position in 2011. All Jones did from that left side was ....earned the Outland Trophy as the nation's top lineman as well as the Jacobs Blocking Trophy (SEC's top offensive lineman) and was a consensus All-American!

Just want you to know that I really appreciate your research and how you spell things out like this. I don't always comment, but I do read everything you post, and I learn a few things as well. I didn't even realize that Saffold was making less than CW. This should be the year that Saffold (not unlike most contract year players) shows that he's worth a whole lot more than that. I just hope he makes it through the season unscathed. For all of our sake.

duckhunter

Starter
It will be a dogfight for the starting LG spot.

Like the entire roster, there is decent depth at all positions. This is the best Oline we have had in a decade.

One of these young guys is being groomed for Dahl's spot next year I would think. In my mind that is just as important as who the starting LG will be. Not only does the RG have to be a premiere run mauler but often times he's one on one in pass blocking and must be a stone wall ensuring the pocket doesn't collapse.

It will be fun to watch these mongrels grow up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
duckhunter said:

Like the entire roster, there is decent depth at all positions. This is the best Oline we have had in a decade.

One of these young guys is being groomed for Dahl's spot next year I would think. In my mind that is just as important as who the starting LG will be. Not only does the RG have to be a premiere run mauler but often times he's one on one in pass blocking and must be a stone wall ensuring the pocket doesn't collapse.

Nice to have you come in from the storm after a long MIA! duck it does seem at this moment that Dahl's 8 mil for 2013 & 2014 appears safe due to proper org mgt of the greenbacks! My opinion on Harvey Dahl is if he comes back and plays like he has the last two yrs Harvey will play out his contract & be a UFA in 2015 when he is 34 yrs old.

I thinking that there's something special stewing in the pot between the marriage of Rodger & Harvey on that RIGHT side. Could be very wishful pondering by me but I just get the feeling these two big dirty nasty tuded OL'er will be the destruction of many NFL Left DL'ers reputations :hehe: in 2013.

You know how bad one bully can be but when you team a bully up with a another big bully folks run in terror. :omg: Another reason I believe that Harvey is real safe is the fact that presently the Rams OL is at its weakest behind Rodger @ ORT. Depth is very solid for every position with the exception of RIGHT OT.

Here's some interesting info on our starting ORG...Dahl attended the University of Nevada where he earned First Team ALL-WAC accolades in Junior and senior seasons with the Wolf Pack as their starting ORT. He was named to Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award watch lists in July 2004 prior to the start of the 2004 campaign at Nevada from his play @ ORT. At the end of 2004 season he was invited to play in the 2005 East-West Shrine Game @ ORT. Harvey did not get drafted in the 2005 draft. Harvey signed with Dallas as ORT waived. Signed with the 9ers as ORT and signed to PS then 53 player roster as ORT. In 2006 he played in his first NFL game against the Rams @ ORT. Harvey ended up being signed to the 53 player roster by Atlanta in 2007 as a ORT. Something special happen in 2008 a coach named Paul Boudreau was fired from the St Louis Rams & hired by the Falcons Harvey was still listed as a ORT early in 2008 TC an opening for a starter @ ORG popped up & Boudreau insert the just under 6-6 308 pound Harvey right into that opening.

Point I am trying to make is Harvey spent most of his college & NFL (approx 7 1/2 yrs) playing time @ ORT. He recently (2011) played & started in 3 games @ Right Tackle for Sam Bradford. Big Problem :ohno: ....Currently I have no ideal who Fisher & Boudreau are grooming to be the reserve 2013 ORT or who is being groomed to be the starting ORT in 2014?

With all the above being pondered & said Harvey's value to this team, Sam & to Boudreau increases as this situation @ ORT moves onward. If Saffold falls to injury again who starts? If Saffold departs in next year who has a solid starting well seasoned record to look to for help?

duckhunter

Starter
BonifayRam said:
duckhunter said:

Nice to have you come in from the storm after a long MIA! duck it does seem at this moment that Dahl's 8 mil for 2013 & 2014 appears safe due to proper org mgt of the greenbacks! My opinion on Harvey Dahl is if he comes back and plays like he has the last two yrs Harvey will play out his contract & be a UFA in 2015 when he is 34 yrs old.

I thinking that there's something special stewing in the pot between the marriage of Rodger & Harvey on that RIGHT side. Could be very wishful pondering by me but I just get the feeling these two big dirty nasty tuded OL'er will be the destruction of many NFL Left DL'ers reputations :hehe: in 2013.

You know how bad one bully can be but when you team a bully up with a another big bully folks run in terror. :omg: Another reason I believe that Harvey is real safe is the fact that presently the Rams OL is at its weakest behind Rodger @ ORT. Depth is very solid for every position with the exception of RIGHT OT.

Here's some interesting info on our starting ORG...Dahl attended the University of Nevada where he earned First Team ALL-WAC accolades in Junior and senior seasons with the Wolf Pack as their starting ORT. He was named to Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award watch lists in July 2004 prior to the start of the 2004 campaign at Nevada from his play @ ORT. At the end of 2004 season he was invited to play in the 2005 East-West Shrine Game @ ORT. Harvey did not get drafted in the 2005 draft. Harvey signed with Dallas as ORT waived. Signed with the 9ers as ORT and signed to PS then 53 player roster as ORT. In 2006 he played in his first NFL game against the Rams @ ORT. Harvey ended up being signed to the 53 player roster by Atlanta in 2007 as a ORT. Something special happen in 2008 a coach named Paul Boudreau was fired from the St Louis Rams & hired by the Falcons Harvey was still listed as a ORT early in 2008 TC an opening for a starter @ ORG popped up & Boudreau insert the just under 6-6 308 pound Harvey right into that opening.

Point I am trying to make is Harvey spent most of his college & NFL (approx 7 1/2 yrs) playing time @ ORT. He recently (2011) played & started in 3 games @ Right Tackle for Sam Bradford. Big Problem :ohno: ....Currently I have no ideal who Fisher & Boudreau are grooming to be the reserve 2013 ORT or who is being groomed to be the starting ORT in 2014?

With all the above being pondered & said Harvey's value to this team, Sam & to Boudreau increases as this situation @ ORT moves onward. If Saffold falls to injury again who starts? If Saffold departs in next year who has a solid starting well seasoned record to look to for help?

I like your two bully analogy for Rodger and Harvey. They are our two best run blockers and mean sons da bitchez. They could set the stage for some big man football on the ground. If they do something consistent and special for this team, watch our fast greasy pigs run and catch. WooHoo. Harvey looked a little wild at RT but got da job done in those three games subbing at RT so he's #1 sub at RT IMO.

I was pounding da table for hands/smarts/speed/quickness/routerunning/separation over size at WR/TE and can't wait for preseason to see this offense develop. It will be the wildest barnyard scene in football with pigs and chickens scattering and flying everywhere.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:
nighttrain said:
CGI_Ram said:
train

HUGH diff from the last few years, that's a bunch of guys that can play, an injury tor two shouldn't cripple us like in the past...
train

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Not sure about CW. As I recall, he was deemed something of a reach pick for the Bears when drafted, one of the knocks being that he has pretty short arms, which is difficult for an offensive lineman to overcome with all the hand fighting that's required. That said, he did look pretty good in spot duty last year.

I think best case scenario is that Watkins wins the job in camp, gets reinserted in the lineup in week 2, and that the team can have some super subs in Williams and Jones in case of injury - always good to have those guys on the bench who can play multiple positions.