Our oline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Looks to do alot better this year if it cant stay healthy. I do have one huge comcern personally however. Ive gone back and watched a few of last years games and noticed 1 glaring flaw which could be also leading to higher injury rate and higher sack percentage

Our oline once the ball is snapped seems to wait for contact instead of creating it. If you watch they just kinda stand there and wait for the dline to come to them. I played guard and tackle all throughout popwarner middle and high school. My coach at all levels preached about getting to the dline before he gets to you. I mean where do uou get leverage just standing there like a sack of potatoes.

I hope they get this fixed this season

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rabid Ram said:
Looks to do alot better this year if it cant stay healthy. I do have one huge comcern personally however. Ive gone back and watched a few of last years games and noticed 1 glaring flaw which could be also leading to higher injury rate and higher sack percentage

Our oline once the ball is snapped seems to wait for contact instead of creating it. If you watch they just kinda stand there and wait for the dline to come to them. I played guard and tackle all throughout popwarner middle and high school. My coach at all levels preached about getting to the dline before he gets to you. I mean where do uou get leverage just standing there like a sack of potatoes.

Depends on pass pro and run blocking, of course. If you noticed them waiting for the D-line to come to them in pass protection, then that's normal. If that happened in run blocking, then it could also have been by design. I can't imagine that Boudreau would field an entire offensive line that didn't have the fundamentals down.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watch the first quarter of the redskins game it is over obvoius in that game especilly on the first sb sack

I would hope he wouldnt either it may not be a fundamentals issue rather a lack of confidence after being blown up by dline players or afraid of getting hurt

A55VA6

Legend
I predict the starting lineup to be Long, Jones, Wells, Dahl, Saffold.

Hopefully they can be healthy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rabid Ram said:
Watch the first quarter of the redskins game it is over obvoius in that game especilly on the first sb sack

I would hope he wouldnt either it may not be a fundamentals issue rather a lack of confidence after being blown up by dline players or afraid of getting hurt
I'll do that in a little while. I'm interested in seeing what you saw.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Yea I see what your saying about pass pro and schemed run pro but usually as an oline your feet are moving the moment the ball is snapped in one direction or another but it seemed to happen more often then not it looked like they were in concrete or thick mud. There should never be what seems to be a player with over 2 secs of non movment after ball snap

iced

X said:
Rabid Ram said:

Depends on pass pro and run blocking, of course. If you noticed them waiting for the D-line to come to them in pass protection, then that's normal. If that happened in run blocking, then it could also have been by design. I can't imagine that Boudreau would field an entire offensive line that didn't have the fundamentals down.

Like a Draw play the o-line will wait

jap

Legend
It's got to feel great! for Sam to have two bookend tackles defining the extreme limits of the pocket. We've got Wells and Dahl at C and RG, respectively. As long as we can truly solidify that LG spot, Sam will have his very first Battering Ram OL. We all know Couch Bou will only field the very best starting five.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A55VA6 said:

Jones won't start at LG IMO...I think it goes thisa way

LT..Jake Long
LG...Chris Williams
C...Scott Wells
RG...Harvey Dahl
RT...Roger Saffold

iced

den-the-coach said:
A55VA6 said:

LT..Jake Long
LG...Chris Williams
C...Scott Wells
RG...Harvey Dahl
RT...Roger Saffold

i think Watkins will grab LG (he won last year) and Jones will be playing center by week 6 (because wells will be hurt)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Den could be on to something with Chris Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jones makes a push or even Shelley Smith.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

CoachO

Hall of Fame
iced said:
den-the-coach said:
A55VA6 said:

LT..Jake Long
LG...Chris Williams
C...Scott Wells
RG...Harvey Dahl
RT...Roger Saffold

i think Watkins will grab LG (he won last year) and Jones will be playing center by week 6 (because wells will be hurt)

While I agree that Watkins will be in the mix for the LG job, he did NOT win the starting job last year. Rob Turner STARTED the opener in Detroit at LEFT GUARD, and it was only due to the Wells injury that forced Watkins into action. Turner moved over to C, and Watkins REPLACED him at LG.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
While I agree that Watkins will be in the mix for the LG job, he did NOT win the starting job last year. Rob Turner STARTED the opener in Detroit at LEFT GUARD, and it was only due to the Wells injury that forced Watkins into action. Turner moved over to C, and Watkins REPLACED him at LG.
Yeah, that's how I remember it. Of course there were about a hundred different O-line combinations after the first snap of the season, but who's counting. lol. BTW, good to see you, Coach.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I thought Jones was going to be held out for a few weeks with the injury. Not sure if that is accurate but I know I saw it somewhere right after the draft. The talk was that he could end up on the pup list to start the season. I hope I'm wrong. I would like to see him take over center but not because Wells gets injured but by winning the competition for the starting job. No offense to Wells but if Jones can outright win the starting job, it really bodes well for us going forward. I would also like to see Rok win the starting LG position. We need as many studs to come out of these drafts as possible for the long term success of the team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rabid Ram said:

Our oline once the ball is snapped seems to wait for contact instead of creating it. If you watch they just kinda stand there and wait for the dline to come to them. I played guard and tackle all throughout popwarner middle and high school. [hil]My coach at all levels preached about getting to the dline before he gets to you[/hil]. I mean where do uou get leverage just standing there like a sack of potatoes.

Just a different philosophy, and one that hurt J. Smith. He just couldn't block in space. He did much better when he created the contact, and I saw some of that, whether the coaches allowed it, or he did it himself, but he blocked better when he got into his guy, still struggled, but was better.

Problem is that you can't always do that on this level, you have to be flexible and versatile, because the d-line and blitz packages will force you to make decisions. Can't always just go stick your guy.

I think the 4 are pretty set, but I have no idea who the 5th will be at this point. I hope that a few guys fight hard for it, and the best man wins.

I'll give you guys some reports once they are playing in preseason and let you know what I see.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I still say we need a thread somthing like

Breakdown by Dr ram lol

You could break down different packages formations and such. Like one a week. You seem to have a good grip on the game and the ability to break it down

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Rabid Ram said:

Breakdown by Dr ram lol

You could break down different packages formations and such. Like one a week. You seem to have a good grip on the game and the ability to break it down

I'll second that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rabid Ram said:

Breakdown by Dr ram lol

Oh he will. :cool:

DR RAM is our resident O-Line aficionado.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Rabid Ram said:

Breakdown by Dr ram lol

Indeed and par excellance might I add. :sure:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
Rabid Ram said:

Breakdown by Dr ram lol

There is some really great knowledge and very little BS in this forum. If we come up with a question each week, there are several peeps here that can answer it. Part of what makes football great...there are many answers to the same question.

As far as the 5th guy, I'd like to see Chris Williams step up and be that guy, or Rok, but from last year, the guy that played the most consistent was Shelley Smith. Problem with Smith is that he just isn't big or strong enough for my liking. If he took a big step in improving his strength in the off season, then in my eyes, he's a viable option.