Offseason Trade Options

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only reason I don't think it's Stafford or Darnold or Wentz (who's now staying in Philly) is because this started with McVay prior to any of those guys being known as available. Darnold was in limbo due to them beating us and Gase being a lame duck, Stafford was barely a rumor and Wentz is now off the table (I wouldn't want him, just trying to be thorough).

The only guys "available" or seen to be available when McVay started all this was Watson and Jimmy G and there's NO WAY we rip all this shit up for Jimmy G over Goff.
Lot of interesting perspectives there Mack. I think the thing that really resonates too is the splash thing. Which almost gets my hopes up but I'm trying to fight it. :biggrin:

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I am the ever pessimistic one when it comes to deals like this for Teams that aren't the Patriots as their deal with the devil covers thing like I am about to say......

I fear big splashes with single player deals like a mobile QB = Watson. We trade away another two years of 1st round picks and some high value players - then Watson blows a near out again and we stare at a wall for another ten years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
i don't remember what we gave for everett but its debatable that we may have done better with the picks. as far as faulk goes i don't think anyone would complain about that trade.as far as ramsey is concerned you must remember that we also lost a 1st rd pick on peters who ramsey replaced. i don't know if with those 3 1st rd picks we would not have been able to get some pretty good talent that would have been very cheep compared to ramsey witch would certainly help our cap situation now. i guess we will just have to disagree on the always part of what you are saying there are just to many things to look at that make each deal different. any way i think you should look at the entire trade before you make it

They did trade William Fuller to get Everett. I don't recall the rest. At the time Fuller was a huge signing. The Rams desperately needed a good pass rusher. It hurt to give him up and he had a goid career. But I loved watching Everett to Flipper Anderson for a few years.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah what Snead has done a good job of is pulling in the talent. But there have been misses too and the guy who ends up cleaning the mess is Demoff.

For now what they have to not do for at least the next 3 years... Do NOT lock up anyone early. It's one thing for super elite players guys like AD and Ramsey. But for the mortal players your ass is waiting and if that's a problem for you we'll trade your ass early like the Pats.

Snead made some bad moves early, tops on the list was thinking Wagner would be on the board a few picks back. He would have looked good in horns all of these years and we got garbage in return for that move. The don't get the early contracts. Its not like Goff was a sure thing at the time, and the same for Gurley.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Lot of interesting perspectives there Mack. I think the thing that really resonates too is the splash thing. Which almost gets my hopes up but I'm trying to fight it. :biggrin:

Same. I don't want this to be something different (meaning no splash beyond trading Goff) and feeling let down, but honestly, I'm already there.

I dunno how to make the patterns show something as pedestrian as "we trade Goff and will elevate someone with a different talent set..." cuz it just doesn't seem like that.

Are they really gonna open a $5B stadium with John Wolford at QB??? I mean, they can do what they want, but that seems... well, not fitting with the stadium... no offense to Wolford who I really like.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'm a huge Jefferson fan! Give him until season 4, if not season 2 watch out. Patience. He will work out. We expected too much. He showed up at GB division game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
No they didn't. They gave a 2nd and 4th for peters.

thanks for the correction the memory isn't what it used to be but i do remember alot of peaple thought this was a great trade. this is a trade picks for known player that didn't work out. just saying that we should always trade pick for known players does not always work out.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Unless the rams are starting Goff there is no way they keep him at this point. Say he loses to Wolford and if anyone heard Snead on Rodney and Rogan yesterday basically it's not a competition they seem to favour Wolford already and if Goff lost it no way they sit 34 million on the bench and that would certainly destroy his value even further.

If they could trade goff and they are huge believers in Wolford then say they got a first rounder for Goff. Would anyone here give up a second for Darnold?
The kid is 23 that creates a more viable competition brings the kid home friendly contract and we earned a 1st rounder to draft an o-liner or anything else we see fit.
I'd even take a 2022 1st rounder for Goff and still acquire Darnold for the 2nd rounder then all the sudden we have a real qb inexpensive battle and 2 first rounders next year with all those 3rds and our own 2nd round pick.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thanks for the correction the memory isn't what it used to be but i do remember alot of peaple thought this was a great trade. this is a trade picks for known player that didn't work out. just saying that we should always trade pick for known players does not always work out.

I mean, they made the superbowl and the defense did their part in that game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they could trade goff and they are huge believers in Wolford then say they got a first rounder for Goff. Would anyone here give up a second for Darnold?
The kid is 23 that creates a more viable competition brings the kid home friendly contract and we earned a 1st rounder to draft an o-liner or anything else we see fit.
I'd even take a 2022 1st rounder for Goff and still acquire Darnold for the 2nd rounder then all the sudden we have a real qb inexpensive battle and 2 first rounders next year with all those 3rds and our own 2nd round pick.
As I mentioned after Arizona I like Wolford's game he can run this offense and we can win with him. I love his intelligence at the LOS and he's wired to handle McVay's pressure because he's one of those guys who lives and breathes football. That story where Donald said he was going to the parking lot to leave for bye week and he saw Wolford going to his car with his helmet and shoulder pads factors in here. That's who this guy is.

The problem with Wolford is twofold IMO... First he played too recklessly in those two games he started to include being knocked out of that second game quite early and that by itself means the team will not align him as the primary option. Secondly the unknown with him is what is the offense's cap with him behind center. The guy can ball but he's limited in his talent. That doesn't mean he can't run this offense at a high level, but it does need to be considered you cannot ignore it.

So no matter how you slice this thing they are going to bring in a QB. If for whatever reason they don't then they're probably going to move up into round 1 and take a shot at one. They will collect draft capital to allow them to do that with trades of guys like Woody/Kupp or Hav.

But Snead doesn't like to go into the draft with holes in his roster. No GM does. And there's a ton of QBs moving this year. So we can expect an addition I am certain of that. And it'll be someone people don't think is good enough.

Also and irt Wolford... IMO as soon as his career is over he will join McVay's staff or he'll get a job reference that will get him one elsewhere. That dude is gonna be a coach.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
The problem with Wolford is twofold IMO... First he played too recklessly in those two games he started ...

Throughout the season, right up to the final game of the regular season, I thought the Rams were foolish not to carry a legitimate backup QB.

I was really happy to see that Wolford had game, and the Rams could compete with him under center.

However, your point above is well taken. There was a run-and-hit in the AZ game that was almost identical to the play that knocked him out of the Seattle game one week later.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Throughout the season, right up to the final game of the regular season, I thought the Rams were foolish not to carry a legitimate backup QB.
Me too. Probably true with all of us and rightly so. :beer2::cool:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the Jets acquire Watson, Darnold can be had for pocket lint

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
WE have to get Watson because A) he’s PERFECT for McVay’s system and B) because I couldn’t stand to be Kyle Shanahan’s bitch for the next decade with Watson in SF... /shudder

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
After the Jets acquire Watson, Darnold can be had for pocket lint

I would be ok with that as plan C. However if the jets went Watson they may pass Darnold over to Houston. Was said today by numerous people that the jet report is eronious. They may be on his list but not the target. Also mentioned is the jets won't part with the picks as they need them. Everything speculation at this point.

Shuie3225

Starter
I'm a huge Jefferson fan! Give him until season 4, if not season 2 watch out. Patience. He will work out. We expected too much. He showed up at GB division game.

Jefferson is just a better WR than Reynolds, but he didn't see the field as much because of blocking. Our WRs are asked to do soooo much blocking in the running game its crazy. But in terms of pure receiving talent, its not close IMO. We saw his impact at the very end of the season when Kupp was hurt.

Next year if he adds some weight and has another year under his belt we should see a big jump.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1) I do think trading Kupp could be beneficial. Woods is “Mr. Football.” What doesn’t this guy do? Keep Woods and get at least a mid to high 3rd for Kupp.
2) I don’t like the idea of moving a top notch run blocker like Havs. The Rams MUST establish a solid run game for this offense to produce.
3) I don’t like the idea of moving either tackle until after the draft/free agency and then a camp battle. The Rams simply cannot afford to weaken this OL for a promise of future potential. The replacement has to step in immediately as an upgrade.
4) Not to be offensive, but trading Donald is a very bad idea on so many levels. The team morale would be devastated by the message sent. If our team was nowhere near contention and we didn’t have much talent on the roster, then yeah, I could see it. That’s why I thought the raiders did the right thing in dealing mack to the bears. Their roster was far worse than what the Rams have right now. But Donald retires a Ram.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
1) I do think trading Kupp could be beneficial. Woods is “Mr. Football.” What doesn’t this guy do? Keep Woods and get at least a mid to high 3rd for Kupp.
2) I don’t like the idea of moving a top notch run blocker like Havs. The Rams MUST establish a solid run game for this offense to produce.
3) I don’t like the idea of moving either tackle until after the draft/free agency and then a camp battle. The Rams simply cannot afford to weaken this OL for a promise of future potential. The replacement has to step in immediately as an upgrade.
4) Not to be offensive, but trading Donald is a very bad idea on so many levels. The team morale would be devastated by the message sent. If our team was nowhere near contention and we didn’t have much talent on the roster, then yeah, I could see it. That’s why I thought the raiders did the right thing in dealing mack to the bears. Their roster was far worse than what the Rams have right now. But Donald retires a Ram.

I really hope neither Woods or Kupp is dealt. If they deal one, I'd think it'd be Kupp because in the two post-seasons when we really needed him, he's been injured. Sucks and fluke stuff, but it is what it is.

Still, if I had any say about it, we'd keep Woods and Kupp.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really hope neither Woods or Kupp is dealt. If they deal one, I'd think it'd be Kupp because in the two post-seasons when we really needed him, he's been injured. Sucks and fluke stuff, but it is what it is.

Still, if I had any say about it, we'd keep Woods and Kupp.
I don't want to trade them either but where is the cap relief going to come from. We need to trim what, $27M? We're not gonna get that $2M at a time. Demoff is whale hunting right now.