How serious a threat are the 49ers to us in the division??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I also think he is over hyped. 5 wins, 7 TDs and 5 INTs. I think Jimmy Gs timing was perfect. He caught teams on cross country road trips, in between big games. Played the Rams when they played no starters. The Rams second string intercepted him twice. I say they are no better than 8 and 8 and the Cardinals will be more of a threat. By the way, all the "experts that say he is the next Joe Montana are the same experts that said Goff was a bust.

LOL, great point. All the Goff haters who lined up to kick him when he was down under Fisher, trying to make themselves look smart, are the same ones calling JimmiG a stud?? this is shaping up verrry nicely, very nicely indeed....

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BLASPHEMY! Get a rope!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I expect the Whiners to bring their a-game against us considering the nature of divisional games. The difference between us and them though is that we'll have a better record outside of our division than the Whiners

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Actually, I'd say the list is longer (in no particular order)

Philly
Washington
Dallas
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Green Bay
Minnesota
Los Angeles

And maybe...

Detroit
New York

I think they'll have moments this season, but the 9ers still have a lot of holes to fill.
Oh yes, the list is longer than that! I was listing teams that I expect to be competing for the top two records within their respective divisions, except for the NFC South which should be down to the wire for their top three (I listed the Packers twice but I meant meant Panthers the second time).

I didn't list us because it should be a given that we're winning the division this year, knock on wood.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
They put up a good fight last year on TNF with spare parts and they've only improved. That being said they've still got spare parts just less rusty spare parts and we've got a well oiled Lamborghini.

As it is, they're a playoff contender, we're a SB contender. They might take a game or two from us like we did against the Hags under Fish, anybody can steal a game on any given Sunday. But the law of averages say that we have the parts to finish on top of the division for a long time imo.

They were aided greatly in that game by 'unforced' errors by the Rams.
Don't look for that to continue to happen.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'll take a swing....
giphy.gif

@ Minnesota L
Detroit W
@ KC L
@ Chargers L
AZ W
@ Green Bay L
Rams L
@ AZ L
Oakland W
NYG W
bye
@ Tampa W
@ Seattle L
Denver W
Seattle L
Chicago W
@ Rams W

8-8

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Football Outsiders thinks at least a year away, I'll run with that:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/scramble/2018/scramble-2018-west-overunders

LOS ANGELES RAMS (10)
Last Over: 2017 (11-5, McVay/Goff)
Last Under: 2016 (4-12, Fisher/Keenum)

Bryan: Hey, we finally get an actual Super Bowl contender to talk about!

Andrew: That's debatable, but we at least get a team that was a legitimate contender last year. Unfortunately, this is another team that has since alienated its best player -- though at least, in this instance, for plain old monetary reasons.

Bryan: If Aaron Donald is still holding out by the time you're reading this, he has lost an accrued season. That means, this offseason, he'll be just a restricted free agent, rather than an unrestricted one. I understand that, in a world with the franchise tag, Donald's going to make about as much money either way ... but I think, were I him, I'd prefer the potential freedom of unrestricted free agency over sitting out a month of training camp.

Andrew: In practical terms, that won't make any difference because no team will hesitate to offer Donald a contract if he's given any tender other than the exclusive franchise tag, and to heck with the draft pick cost. Reports indicate that Donald will not play without a new contract regardless, so it looks like a rock-solid impasse.

Bryan: I still think Donald is more likely to play more games this season than Mack will, on what's going to be the best defense in the league. I'm still a bit agog at the Rams' offseason spending spree; we've been saying for years that teams with a quarterback on a rookie deal should be doing everything they can to maximize their championship window, but the Rams have taken that to an entirely new level this year. The last team to add a quartet as talented as Ndamukong Suh, Brandin Cooks, Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters in one year was the 1994 49ers, who essentially rented a defense and won the Super Bowl. Anything short of that should be considered a disappointment for the Rams.

Andrew: Some of this comes down, again, to what you think you're getting from the quarterback. Will Goff sustain his success from last season, or will teams be able to slow the Rams offense with a full year of tape for preparation?

Bryan: I wouldn't be surprised if Goff drops from top-five to top-ten this year. There are still holes in his game, and while Sean McVay did a great job of coaching around them and scheming the offense to play to Goff's strengths, Goff still showed some of his rookie struggles when pressured. A great performance from the offensive line and a quick passing game just meant that Goff didn't have to deal with pressure on a regular basis last season, even as he held on to the ball for longer than you'd like out of an ideal quarterback.

That being said, a top-ten quarterback, a top-three running back in Todd Gurley, and a top-one defense really, really screams "Super Bowl contender" to me. I'm concerned about depth, which wasn't tested at all last season, but if everyone stays healthy again? Yowza.

Andrew: They never do all stay healthy again, but it's impossible to predict what injuries will bite and when. The roster is loaded. The defense should, as you say, be close to the league's best. The offense should be decent, even if Goff drops off a bit -- the head coach has shown that he knows what he's doing there, and the loss of coordinator Matt LaFleur shouldn't have too much of an effect. I like the Rams to repeat as division champions, and that probably means on the right side of 10 wins -- though 10 wins is a high bar to clear. I'm tempted to push, but I think I'll settle for the Over.

Bryan: I'm all in on the over, and at least at the moment, I'm thinking home-field advantage and a trip to the Super Bowl, as well. Is the Rams bandwagon still considered a bandwagon? If it is, I'm 100 percent on it this year. I think the Rams are going to be scary-good.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (8.5)
Last Over: 2013 (12-4, Harbaugh/Kaepernick)
Last Under: 2017 (6-10, Shanahan/Garoppolo)

Bryan: Jimmy Garoppolo. Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo, Jimmy Garoppolo, Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo. Jimmy Garoppolo (Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo), Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo; Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo. Jimmy Garoppolo! Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo -- Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo, Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo Jimmy Garoppolo. Jimmy Garoppolo? Jimmy Garoppolo!

Andrew: I see you watched the opening credits of today's Simpsons special, in which everybody's favorite dysfunctional cartoon family takes a trip to Levi's Stadium.

Bryan: Oh, how I wish the 49ers had lost just one game with Jimmy G under center, just to be spared an entire offseason of the super-levels of hype we've been getting. Our advanced analytics and exceptional football know-how leads us to project that, one day, Garoppolo will lose a game. Please, 49ers fans, I get your excitement, but just take one deep breath, alright? It's true that the 49ers would have made the playoffs if the season had started the day of the Garoppolo trade, but it's also true that the 49ers were really, really bad before that happened. There's still a lot of rebuilding work to be done here, even if it now has a handsome face plastered onto the front.

Andrew: There is definitely hope and potential by the Bay, but as you say this is far from the finished article. The quarterback is good news, but the best news for 49ers fans surely has to be the coach. Kyle Shanahan just gives every possible indication that he "gets it" -- that he understands what coaching is about, beyond even just the scheme and strategy that earned him this job.

Bryan: Even if Shanahan wasn't a good coach, he feels like such a breath of fresh air. He's probably the most pleasant and enjoyable coach the 49ers have had since Steve Mariucci. Chip Kelly was a disaster, Jim Tomsula was worse, Jim Harbaugh is an anger elemental...

Andrew: Earth! Wind! Fire! RAAAAAGE!

Bryan: ... Mike Singletary is best known as a coach for dropping trou, Mike Nolan is best remembered for wearing a suit, and Dennis Erickson is the worst coach in franchise history. To have Shanahan back there, actually willing to talk to the media and explain what's going on, to be able to talk about "overcoming coaching" and the importance of players to play to their strengths rather than slavishly follow the play as written is an incredible shift from what 49ers fans have come to expect from the guy with the play sheet. And, of course, Shanahan doesappear to be a good coach, so far; his offense (and McVay's offshoot of it) has been regularly cited by teams this offseason as the scheme to watch (and copy). It feels really weird for the 49ers to be on the cutting edge of offensive scheming again, to be frank. And now, he's got a full offseason with his quarterback. So, yeah, I get the optimism. I really, really do.

But 8.5 games? The franchise hasn't had a winning record since Harbaugh left town, and I think it may be asking too much to jump all the way there in one go. To hit the "over," the 49ers really need three things to happen:
  • Jimmy Garoppolo needs to play like Small Sample Size Jimmy Garoppolo from 2017. SSS Garoppolo was the best quarterback in football last year, with a DVOA exactly matching Matt Ryan's MVP season in 2016 in what is definitely an omen and not a random coincidence.
  • Richard Sherman -- or whoever ends up starting across from Ahkello Witherspoon -- needs to actually be competent, which is more than the 49ers got last season. Sherman's already on the shelf with a hamstring injury, so I'm nervous there.
  • Someone, somewhere, somehow, has to provide a pass rush, and I'll be darned if I can figure out exactly where that's going to come from. Arik Armstead, playing out of position? Ronald Blair? Fans are talking themselves into Cassius Marsh, and that's never a good sign.
All three of those things are entirely possible. I'm just not sure they'll hit the trifecta this season; it feels like they're a year and a first-round edge rusher away from being a real playoff contender, at least in the NFC where 10 wins might not be enough to see you through.

Andrew: The interior rush should be fine, but there is just nothing I can see on the outside. Marsh might well be the best edge rusher on the team.

Bryan: The interior rush should be more than fine with DeForest Buckner and Solomon Thomas, and I'm excited for 14 games of Reuben Foster (each one with a mid-game injury that takes him out of a drive). Still, I think I'm on the under for this season, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

Andrew: This is a line that feels a year too early and two wins too high. I'd love to see Kyle Shanahan enjoy this much success this quickly, but absent a few scheduling gifts or some very unexpected performances from the offensive supporting cast and outside pass rush, I don't see how this roster claws out nine wins. It's an under, but one laced with hope for the future.

---------------
Know your enemy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymIOgCfa9pY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd31AuKunOw

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have to monitor myself, because my hate for the Niners is of epic proportions. I have been saying that I will believe that Jimmy G. is a legitimate franchise QB if he can lead the Niners to a 6-2 record when everyon e still has at least has a theoretical chance at the playoffs. I say 6-2 because the "experts" are already saying he's one of the next great QB's, and they don't lessen the value of 5 wins at the end of last season at all (they should). To be fair, our own Jared Goff lost the last 7 games in 2016 vs Jimmy G's 5 wins last year. Jimmy had several years behind Tom Brady to ready himself for the starters role in frisco, while Jared was thrown into the Fisher dumpster fire of an offense....

Buckner on the Niner's dline is good.

But the Niners are going to get crushed, imo. DC's will pore over the 5 games by Jimmy G. looking for tendencies. They will get crushed by expectations and by good teams.

You look back at some of the greats , & they waited there turn. Steve Young comes to mind,except he did it a little different. Then Aaron Rogers waited. Even Rivers waited a little.
Winning all his games speaks volumes, even if The Rams had There 2nd unit in. They won easy.
NFL network had him & Niners on yesterday with stats , about improvement.

Health plays a big role. Then add in Aaron Donald’s contract ?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You look back at some of the greats , & they waited there turn. Steve Young comes to mind,except he did it a little different. Then Aaron Rogers waited. Even Rivers waited a little.
Winning all his games speaks volumes, even if The Rams had There 2nd unit in. They won easy.
NFL network had him & Niners on yesterday with stats , about improvement.

Health plays a big role. Then add in Aaron Donald’s contract ?
I am not calling him great, and I don't know anyone can do that for Jimmy G at this point. You gave two examples of back ups that lit the NFL world on fire, how many examples of back ups never becoming great? I would bet the numbers would be staggering

Yes, the difference between starters and back ups should be extreme., or else they would be starting elsewhere.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am not calling him great, and I don't know anyone can do that for Jimmy G at this point. You gave two examples of back ups that lit the NFL world on fire, how many examples of back ups never becoming great? I would bet the numbers would be staggering

Yes, the difference between starters and back ups should be extreme., or else they would be starting elsewhere.

Plunket -Stabler

We can talk Super Bowls

Rivers & Brees ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They scare the dickens out of me, but I'm betting on Wade Phillips over Robert Saleh although I do believe Saleh is on the rise as a DC. Let's put it this way, if they beat the Vikings in game one I will be very concerned.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I dont think SF will be a card team and I think its totally possible that the Rams are the only team in the division that will finish above .500.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No threat.

Like, less of a threat than Seattle for sure IMO.

And if the Cardinals get decent QB play, I don't put the Niners coming in last place again out of the realm of possibility. I don't think I've ever in my life seen a last place team get so much hype.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It feels weird because the Rams have only had one good year. But..

The only threat to us is if Seattle's D resumes their top 5 stellar play somehow (unlikely), Wilson continues to perform like an elite QB, and their OL/running game becomes league average.

fearsomefour

Legend
I expect the Niners will be competitive. They do have some good players on defense, and their offense will be at least competent. I so want to crush them in our first meeting to show them that they are our biatches.

I see them as a 7-8 win team.
They will be solid.
They averaged 26 points per garne (going off memory.....could be wrong) once Jimmy G came in.
I don't buy thenlevel of the hype around JG, but, he does somethings very well that puts pressure on a D.
People choose to forget that the Rams were one great solo tackle by Barron away from being 0-2 vs the Whiners last year.
Sweep the Cards and Whiners this year and the rest of the season will take care of itself.