Everett > Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just re-watched the 1st quarter, and if Higbee is our best blocking TE we could be in big trouble. If I was grading him, he would have graded an "F" in the run game. I'm not trying to rail on the guy, but he looked either lost or scared to block.
Most Tyler Higbee fans will continue to ignore & disregard your factual post & go iron & press their Higbee #89 jersey instead.

IMO & its sad :(, McVay may have just one fully functioning blocking TE at the moment. His name is not Everett, Higbee, Hemingway or Wilson.

IF we started a Thread involving factual discussions of the positive Tyler Higbee blocking skills performed on the field of play since his arrival...........the posted thread would :death:for lack of replies. The Ram offensive Blocking that is ongoing behind the front OL has been bad for some time. Last season it was evident & we saw a continuing of the same Saturday. Cory Harkey may have not played much Saturday but from the other Rams who did the Non big Ugly's stuff who were tasked to block made Cory look mighty fine to me. Tyler, Gerald & Temarrick must improve in this area if this running game is going to take off. Blaming the front five OL constantly & then ignoring the others who have crucial parts IMO is plain lame.

P.S. This is of topic a bit but I when I see Temarrick Hemingway play ......I do not see a TE but I see a WR who can make plays anywhere on the field. I wonder if we see a shift of where we see him play in the future. I would be thinking how to get the aired ball in his hands. TH has one of the most graceful gallops that super smooth .......not see in a Ram uni in a long long time.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
Given that we had a former TE who shied away from blocking duties (i.e., the Cookie Monster) and that we have dynamic players in Todd & Tavon who are a serious threat to take the rock to the house on any given play, I would say it is absolutely mandatory! that all offensive players know how to block---even if it is as basic as screening your guy away from the ball carrier.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they thought Higbee was all that they wouldn't have drafted Everett.

Not at all, it seems people don't believe McVay when he talks about using multiple tight end formations. Everett and Higbee are going to be on the field together a lot.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If higs is catching TDs I could care less about blocking sane goes for Everette ....

People are ready to throw higs out with the bath water ...higs and Everette are gonna ball out hiw aviut with give our rooms and sexy d year players a chance to settle down

Oh no we are Rams fans ... we need to piss all over our own players

jap

Legend
Higbee may be viewed as a jumbo WR rather than a TE by the coaching brass. It doesn't matter when Todd or Tavon has the rock everyone needs to commit to blocking well. Over the years, how many long runs by Tavon have we seen stymied short of pay dirt because his blockers screwed things up?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Is Higbee able to do that? Last season he wasn't.
Too soon....

Despite that terrible fumble, I like Hemingway the most. Everett close second....just more physical players at a physical position. Higbee still hasn't shaken that hard hit vs Dallas in 8/2016...dude is shell-shocked...Wants no part of blocking. I can't wrap my head around it.
I agree on Higbee. I had high hopes for Higbee, but at last Wednesdays practice with the Chargers, every ball thrown his way that was contested or in traffic he dropped. He had a beautiful catch for a TD down the middle of the field, but as it stands right now he is too unreliable. Maybe he needs to see a hypnotist or something. He has the yipps.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I need to see better blocking out of the TE group as a whole - but there is talent out there down the field

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If higs is catching TDs I could care less about blocking sane goes for Everette ....

People are ready to throw higs out with the bath water ...higs and Everette are gonna ball out hiw aviut with give our rooms and sexy d year players a chance to settle down

Oh no we are Rams fans ... we need to tick all over our own players
Honestly, you need to go back and listen to McVay's press conference from yesterday. He talked about all 11 guys doing their job to be successful, which includes TE's blocking. Sounds like you could care less we even attempt a running game. Sorry, but without an effective running game, we won't have any success with a passing game. All 11 guys need to do their job regardless of the play. Without it, we will continue having 4-12 seasons. I'm not the one missing assignments, dropping balls, and playing at a mediocre level. I call it as I see it, and right now he is not where he needs to be for either himself or the offense to successful.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Our WR's might be better run blockers than our TE's. Everett wasn't a very good blocking TE in college but that's not why you draft him. He'll have to be taught. In the meantime let him make plays. McVay is going to involve him early and often this season. I felt he was easily one of the best playmaking TE's in the draft.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honestly, you need to go back and listen to McVay's press conference from yesterday. He talked about all 11 guys doing their job to be successful, which includes TE's blocking. Sounds like you could care less we even attempt a running game. Sorry, but without an effective running game, we won't have any success with a passing game. All 11 guys need to do their job regardless of the play. Without it, we will continue having 4-12 seasons. I'm not the one missing assignments, dropping balls, and playing at a mediocre level. I call it as I see it, and right now he is not where he needs to be for either himself or the offense to successful.

Of course I care if we have a running game (although I'm not entirely convinced it's all on the blockers )but what I'm saying is this

The guys are learning a new offence .. and an actual bone fide for realz NFL offence

any rookie that was in last years offense gets a freaking pass from me this is thier rookie season for me .. so his blocking isn't up par in a pre season game and some Want him out of the starting line up Hemingway and Harkey ? Corey "fishers friend" Harkey nah sorry... I'll take higs atheletisim and pass catching ability over Harkeys blocking any day of the week and twice on Sundays

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Haven't read through all the posts yet I had counted - on Everett's first pass he broke 2 tackles, almost 3, and on his second completion broke another tackle! On one completion he got tackled and boy did he look pissed - it's like he knows he's gonna break tackles

Everett may just be as advertised
Lord of YAC

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Everett does look pretty smooth after catching the ball.

Let's be sure to temper our expectation on our blocking. That was quite literally our first 'real' 'live' action of the offseason. First real tackling and being physical session.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Liked what Everett showed so far in terms of athleticism but it's only 1 preseason game. We'll see how both perform in their next preseason games.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Of course I care if we have a running game (although I'm not entirely convinced it's all on the blockers )but what I'm saying is this

The guys are learning a new offence .. and an actual bone fide for realz NFL offence

any rookie that was in last years offense gets a freaking pass from me this is thier rookie season for me .. so his blocking isn't up par in a pre season game and some Want him out of the starting line up Hemingway and Harkey ? Corey "fishers friend" Harkey nah sorry... I'll take higs atheletisim and pass catching ability over Harkeys blocking any day of the week and twice on Sundays

Well I'm glad you give them a pass, however the coaching staff does not have the luxury to "give them a pass" because they are learning a new offense. I've been around enough football long enough, through my days playing, as well as, coaching for over 20 years, to say it's a very simple game when it comes to having the ability to block, tackle, run, pass and catch. Each one of these guys has worked to develop their skills from pee wee to college, and now into the pros. They are professional athletes, and they should possess the necessary skill set associated to their position to play at this level. You can always teach/improve a player's technique. If you think all a player needs to possess is smarts and/or the athleticism, they won't last very long. IMO, all the TEs need to block well. I'm not saying they should pancake ever player they block, but they need to be effective. Watching the game on Saturday, I saw missed assignments, and at times a seemingly lack of effort by all the TEs. Having TEs block is extremely essential in McVay's offense, and if they fail the offense becomes limited in what it can do. At this point all I can say is we agree to disagree and move on. Cheers.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gotta be careful about expectations based on pre season. I remember Lance Kendricks looking like a stud his first pre season. Fendi Onubun as well. Heck, Higbee looked decent last year.
As for blocking I think that's a lost art in the college game with all the spread offense. Blocking can be taught in NFL, desire to though can't. We'll see

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Gotta be careful about expectations based on pre season. I remember Lance Kendricks looking like a stud his first pre season. Fendi Onubun as well. Heck, Higbee looked decent last year.
As for blocking I think that's a lost art in the college game with all the spread offense. Blocking can be taught in NFL, desire to though can't. We'll see
From what I saw in college, Everett was a willing blocker, but he technique was almost non-existent. Willingness, will hopefully get him there.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tbh Hemingway might just be the smoothest runner and catcher out of all of them. I think we are set at TE with those 3 som im just going to call them 1a-1c

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Not at all, it seems people don't believe McVay when he talks about using multiple tight end formations. Everett and Higbee are going to be on the field together a lot.
This > is the greater than symbol. It's your friend. Yes he is better than Higbee and will continue to improve. So show me where I threw shade on Higbee.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This > is the greater than symbol. It's your friend. Yes he is better than Higbee and will continue to improve. So show me where I threw shade on Higbee.
Not sure where you're going with that on my comment. You said this
If they thought Higbee was all that they wouldn't have drafted Everett.

Which implies if they thought Higbee was "all that" they wouldn't have drafted Everett. My comment is simply citing that doesn't mesh with what McVay has said all off season. They want to use a lot of multiple TE sets. If you've already got Higbee and you want another TE with him on the field one that's as athletic if not more like Everett you draft him. Just because they drafted Everett doesn't imply that they don't like Higbee and don't think he's "all that".

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everyone that was skeptical after I called it last week, I hope it's becoming more and more evident.

I thought Gerald's blocking last night was pretty solid but it's undeniable whos the better receiving option. Plus the guy is such a competitor! He caught a few balls and was tackled quickly before being able to run after the catch and he was PISSED. He plays with a big chip on his shoulder as well and I'm so excited to see how he develops in this offense!