Everett > Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Funny how just a few snaps shows you everything you need to see. I've liked what I've seen from Tyler at times. I really like what I've been reading this off-season about his progression. But I've never seen him look as explosive as Gerald just did in and out of his breaks. Then, within Gerald's first two catches he makes 3 people miss after the catch? That's what he did all throughout college and if I remember correctly he caused more missed tackles than any other TE in the nation last year.

I know their game is different and Higbee is 3 inches taller. But the upside of the rookie is too much to ignore. McVay will see it on film and within the first few weeks of season I bet he overtakes Tyler for the starting job.

I'm loving what McVay has brought to our O.

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Funny how just a few snaps shows you everything you need to see. I've liked what I've seen from Tyler at times. I really like what I've been reading this off-season about his progression. But I've never seen him look as explosive as Gerald just did in and out of his breaks. Then, within Gerald's first two catches he makes 3 people miss after the catch? That's what he did all throughout college and if I remember correctly he caused more missed tackles than any other TE in the nation last year.

I know their game is different and Higbee is 3 inches taller. But the upside of the rookie is too much to ignore. McVay will see it on film and within the first few weeks of season I bet he overtakes Tyler for the starting job.

I'm loving what McVay has brought to our O.
Can
Everett
open up holes in the defense for the tailback to run through.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought both looked great and starter or backup won't matter because these two will be on the field together a lot and in and out for each other.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everett certainly looks like the more natural pass catcher. I can see them being a formidable duo , especially at the goal line

TexasRam

Legend
I stated it in the game observations thread but Higbees run blocking was horrific tonight. Everetts meanwhile was
Good.

I think after the coaches see this film, Higbee finds himself in the doghouse and down the depth chart. I'm rooting for him but I can't stand crappy run blocking that ruins drives.

Everett meanwhile looks like a man about to take the league by storm.

Hemingway may get more looks ahead of Higbee at that #2 spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I stated it in the game observations thread but Higbees run blocking was horrific tonight. Everetts meanwhile was
Good.

I think after the coaches see this film, Higbee finds himself in the doghouse and down the depth chart. I'm rooting for him but I can't stand crappy run blocking that ruins drives.

I didn't watch Everett closely, but he got beat badly on at least one running play.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought Everett's run blocking was okay. To me it doesn't matter if Higgs is the better blocker though. He can play a lot and keep his ass on the right side to help, but the pass targets need to go to Gerald. Whether he's on the line or split out wide, that kid needs to run routes and see the ball.

His confidence has been evident in interviews and today it was as well. He has a natural fluidity with the ball in his hands and while running routes.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Can
Everett
open up holes in the defense for the tailback to run through.

I pointed out one play specifically on the "observation" thread where Everett did just that. He showed great technique and I'm sure being well coached had something to do w/ it. He looked like a natural.

I liked the Higbee pick and I'm still a fan, but I had never seen Everett play before tonight. He looked legit--in ALL phases, including blocking.

TexasRam

Legend
I didn't watch Everett closely, but he got beat badly on at least one running play.

I did see on one play that Everett got beat. But it wasn't a whiff. On the Rams 2nd possession on the TD drive, Gurley gets stuffed for a no gain around the 14 yard line. Everett's man #57 got blocked by Everett initially and then when Everett moved to second line defender, #57 quickly recovered and got in on the tackle on Gurley. Everett just appeared to not finish the block since he thought he moved his man out of the play, but the dude recovered quite surprisingly.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
O needs work. I dunno. Yeah only preseason, but still was complete ass... It can be better though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did see on one play that Everett got beat. But it wasn't a whiff. On the Rams 2nd possession on the TD drive, Gurley gets stuffed for a no gain around the 14 yard line. Everett's man #57 got blocked by Everett initially and then when Everett moved to second line defender, #57 quickly recovered and got in on the tackle on Gurley. Everett just appeared to not finish the block since he thought he moved his man out of the play, but the dude recovered quite surprisingly.

It wasn't with Gurley in the game. It was with Brown or Davis.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
No arguing Everett is the more dynamic player and by multiple accounts he is coming on faster than expected. Both players aren't good blockers yet and drop balls every now and again. Ive been banging the drum for Everett since February he's certainly the future and IMO should be the present as well. However, Higbee is Goff's roomate and by most camp reports one of the most targeted players. Can that all change? Yes and I hope it does.

fearsomefour

Legend
None of the top three TEs show much blocking.
Just a matter of opinion, but, I would keep a blocker ahead of Hemingway.
Harkey and Rodgers is an interesting dynamic. I could see both, one of neither making the team.
Didn't watch the Skjns much last year but people say a lot of two TE sets. May need to keep four TEs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's really hard to draw too many conclusions just yet from that game with it being the first one and the starters being in there so briefly. Higbee has not been dominant but he's definitely flashed in camp. Same with Everett. And I'd say both should improve as the preseason and season goes on.

They're actually kind of complementary tbh. Higs is a huge target with good athleticism and good not great hands who's going to stretch the seam. Everett is elusive like an oversized RB with the ball, and is going to be fed a lot of short passes with the expectation he'll bust some of them into big gainers.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was going to put a post up a week or so ago about Everett being "the forgotten draft choice".

SO much talk has been about Kupp... around here, but also in the media and promotional materials about the Rams rookies. Everett has been mostly in the background.

Knowing how McVay involves the TE, he's going to be a big part of our offense... as is Higbee. I really like the one-two punch there. Not sleeping on Hemingway and Wilson yet either.

Harkey might be on the outside looking in, as the edges of the roster will look different based on what McVay values vs Fisher for those final spots.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good.

I'm not sure about this^ Hemingway had some pretty Bad moments!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
It's really hard to draw too many conclusions just yet from that game with it being the first one and the starters being in there so briefly..

Yes, and yes. :yess:

We got 3 more preseason games to find out who looks better and whatnot. You can have one game where one guy looks good and another guy doesn't, then have another game totally opposite. No quick judgements here either.