Everett > Higbee

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'll take Gerald Everett all day over Tyler Higbee.

I'll take Cory Harkey all day over Higbee

Finally I will take even Hemingway over Higbee.

Guess you know what I think of Tyler Higbee.;)

Was never impressed with Tyler Higbee last season & even though its very early saw nothing Saturday to change my mind.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Everett has incredible body control for a guy his size. He's very fluid and smooth in his change of direction and stop and start movements. Made Higbee look very stiff and slow in play speed last night. Hemingway is rough, but I think he's every bit the athlete that Everett is. That is the 2 TE set I'd really like to see get more snaps together going forward. Higs needs to find some more nasty in himself and become better at the point of attack as a blocker. He just looks underwhelming trying to get push in the run game.
Some good, bad and ugly, but love the potential of the group overall. Harkey might have one more year around as blocker while Wilson is on the PS.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Unless things change in the remaining preseason games it looks like Higbee is TE #1 and Hemmingway is TE#2 right now. At least, that's who played with the first team at the end of camp and this game...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Is Higbee able to do that? Last season he wasn't.
I saw where he got pushed back a couple times at the point of attack in the run game last night. If he can't even create a stalemate, I would rather see Everett ahead of him. He was very passive in the run game last year, and I didn't see much from him last night. I don't understand it because he's got good size and athleticism.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everett has incredible body control for a guy his size. He's very fluid and smooth in his change of direction and stop and start movements. Made Higbee look very stiff and slow in play speed last night.

This is what stood out to me. Higbee is a good athlete for his size, but the Everett is an ELITE athlete for his size. I thought their play speed was noticeably different. Its not just the physical tools though, for his first NFL game ever Gerald showed out. The Washington TE comparison talk and all the other BS could have taken away from his focus but the kid looked great.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Too soon....

Despite that terrible fumble, I like Hemingway the most. Everett close second....just more physical players at a physical position. Higbee still hasn't shaken that hard hit vs Dallas in 8/2016...dude is shell-shocked...Wants no part of blocking. I can't wrap my head around it.

Ram65

Legend
I thought it would be hard to keep Everett off the field even early in the season. Looks like he can block equal or better than Higs. He has more speed and better hands so he can put more pressure on the D in short or deeper passes.

nighttrain

Legend
Higbee needs to use his physicality to equal Everetts talent at catch and run
train
ps this is gonna be a great battle for the two starting tight end jobs

jap

Legend
Everett has incredible body control for a guy his size. He's very fluid and smooth in his change of direction and stop and start movements. Made Higbee look very stiff and slow in play speed last night. Hemingway is rough, but I think he's every bit the athlete that Everett is. That is the 2 TE set I'd really like to see get more snaps together going forward. Higs needs to find some more nasty in himself and become better at the point of attack as a blocker. He just looks underwhelming trying to get push in the run game.
Some good, bad and ugly, but love the potential of the group overall. Harkey might have one more year around as blocker while Wilson is on the PS.

I have noted this before, but I'll repeat it. After the catch, Everett reminds me of Todd Gurley moving in slow motion.

jap

Legend
If they thought Higbee was all that they wouldn't have drafted Everett.

McVay is known to have used as much as three TE's on plays. This seems to imply he would want to keep as many as four TEs on the roster.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious, what was he supposed to do on that play? Probably should have just went low?

Get across his face, and wash him down the LOS. He didn't get in proper position. That is what allowed the defender to penetrate instead of Everett using his momentum against him to run him out of the play.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Get across his face, and wash him down the LOS. He didn't get in proper position. That is what allowed the defender to penetrate instead of Everett using his momentum against him to run him out of the play.

I'm hoping it was just a technique issue as you've described. He looked like a willing blocker on the play at least.

RamWoodie

Legend
I think Everett is a natural pass catcher more-so than Higbee...BUT...both will see plenty of playing time. Everett has to come up in the blocking if he wants to start.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Just re-watched the 1st quarter, and if Higbee is our best blocking TE we could be in big trouble. If I was grading him, he would have graded an "F" in the run game. I'm not trying to rail on the guy, but he looked either lost or scared to block.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That is it.
Looks to me like Everett needs to take a harder inside step up field on the snap. He appears to stay flat, to the LOS, allowing the DE to get penetration. Even if the DE happens to loop out to maintain the edge, he takes himself out of the play. This is a technique issue that can be corrected.