Btw Goff is shredding it in camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is the part of his game that reminds me of Rodgers. When he flushes out he is always looking to drive the ball at least 20yrs if not deeper, but he has no problem just throwing it away. He's not careless, but hes also not scared. And that combo is deadly as his 4:1 TD/INT ratio showed. No one other than Rodgers has held that percentage long term, but maybe Goff settles somewhere around 3:1.

Yeah that TD/INT ratio is most likely going to go up this year. Jared was ultra safe last year with the ball, but with increased confidence in the scheme and more throwing guys open with anticipation passes there will probably be a higher INT rate. Good thing is that should also come with a more potent passing attack that can finish drives or 2 minute drills late in games for seven or to answer when needed at critical parts of the game, along with more TDs overall.

Jared will be a mid-thirties TD type guy this year along with 500-1k more yards than last year. I think we can bank that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah that TD/INT ratio is most likely going to go up this year. Jared was ultra safe last year with the ball, but with increased confidence in the scheme and more throwing guys open with anticipation passes there will probably be a higher INT rate. Good thing is that should also come with a more potent passing attack that can finish drives or 2 minute drills late in games for seven or to answer when needed at critical parts of the game, along with more TDs overall.

Jared will be a mid-thirties TD type guy this year along with 500-1k more yards than last year. I think we can bank that.
I can safely say Jared is a 5000 yard, 40 TD guy ~ Merlin

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can safely say Jared is a 5000 yard, 40 TD guy ~ Merlin

I think that's a bit on the high side lol. But I wouldn't be too surprised by it actually, given health and a dominant defense flippin the field for him.

I'm thinking: 35 TDs, 14 INTs, 4500 yds.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Goff has led Cooks in all the vids I have seen...maybe he developed some core strength....or not. I will always question his arm strength

You can question his arm strength, but I don't know why. The ball he uncorked in the rain in NY to Watkins was a bomb that traveled something like 63 yards in the air. The one to Woods vs the Texans was right around 50 and he hit Woods in stride. He has lanky arms that can generate some serious torque on the ball. Think of longer connecting rods in an internal combustion engine. A longer stroke generates more torque. I know a bit about this, I have long arms for a 5'10 guy and can crank 30-40 yard throws on a rope at 160 pounds. You don't have to be a big guy to have a whip. Mike Vick had one of the strongest arms I've ever seen and he was right around 200 pounds.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I think that's a bit on the high side lol. But I wouldn't be too surprised by it actually, given health and a dominant defense flippin the field for him.

I'm thinking: 35 TDs, 14 INTs, 4500 yds.

I looked up the 13 teams that had 14 or more INTs last year and only three went to the playoffs. Of the eight teams that threw 10 INT or less, seven went to the playoffs, including Philly, NE, NO, Minnesota, KC, and the Rams.

Jared may be more aggressive but there is no good reason for him to turn the ball over that much.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I looked up the 13 teams that had 14 or more INTs last year and only three went to the playoffs. Of the eight teams that threw 10 INT or less, seven went to the playoffs, including Philly, NE, NO, Minnesota, KC, and the Rams.

Jared may be more aggressive but there is no good reason for him to turn the ball over that much.

So you're saying that your prediction/expectation is different than mine? Put yours up then!

Oh and btw I am very confident on the TDs and yards (I think his lower range will be 30 TDs with 4200 yards). So if he does keep those INTs down you're talkin MVP season. Which also wouldn't surprise me btw. This kid's gonna do great things with us.

tempests

Hall of Fame
So you're saying that your prediction/expectation is different than mine? Put yours up then!

Oh and btw I am very confident on the TDs and yards (I think his lower range will be 30 TDs with 4200 yards). So if he does keep those INTs down you're talkin MVP season. Which also wouldn't surprise me btw. This kid's gonna do great things with us.

30 TD and 4200 yards sounds good. Only four teams passed for 4200 yards and only three had 30 passing TDs last year.

Rams should still be a balanced offense like they were last year. The higher Jared goes above those numbers the more one dimensional they are, and with Todd Gurley in the fold, it' shouldn't be that way.

And yes, if the Rams want to maximize their potential, the INTs have got to stay down. I'll put a cap on it at 10 for the season. Tom Brady hasn't thrown 14 INTs in a season since 2005. That's partially him, but it's also because of the ways the rules have favored the passing game. Drew Brees has thrown at least 14 INT in ten different seasons, but he only made the playoffs in two of them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
30 TD and 4200 yards sounds good. Only four teams passed for 4200 yards and only three had 30 passing TDs last year.

Rams should still be a balanced offense like they were last year. The higher Jared goes above those numbers the more one dimensional they are, and with Todd Gurley in the fold, it' shouldn't be that way.

And yes, if the Rams want to maximize their potential, the INTs have got to stay down. I'll put a cap on it at 10 for the season. Tom Brady hasn't thrown 14 INTs in a season since 2005. That's partially him, but it's also because of the ways the rules have favored the passing game. Drew Brees has thrown at least 14 INT in ten different seasons, but he only made the playoffs in two of them.
One thing that' different is that a screen to Todd, isn't that much different than a hand off to Todd, which could increase Jareds numbers without being that imbalanced...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that' different is that a screen to Todd, isn't that much different than a hand off to Todd, which could increase Jareds numbers without being that imbalanced...

Yep. And that is precisely part of the reason why my expectations are so high, that on top of the addition to Cooks plus Jared in year two of the system plus the fact that most secondaries don't go 3 deep well enough to cover our top three weapons in the passing game. The more turnovers the defense fields those TD numbers can spike higher, as well, but even without high turnover rates from the defense there will be a metric $hit ton of passing TDs.

It's not about what most teams can or can't do. It's about projecting what we think this offense can do.

rdw

Pro Bowler
You can question his arm strength, but I don't know why. The ball he uncorked in the rain in NY to Watkins was a bomb that traveled something like 63 yards in the air. The one to Woods vs the Texans was right around 50 and he hit Woods in stride. He has lanky arms that can generate some serious torque on the ball. Think of longer connecting rods in an internal combustion engine. A longer stroke generates more torque. I know a bit about this, I have long arms for a 5'10 guy and can crank 30-40 yard throws on a rope at 160 pounds. You don't have to be a big guy to have a whip. Mike Vick had one of the strongest arms I've ever seen and he was right around 200 pounds.
Yeah but how big are Goff's hands?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Drew Brees has thrown at least 14 INT in ten different seasons, but he only made the playoffs in two of them.

I don't think exceeding say 10 INTs or whatever is some key metric in and of itself. An INT count in the teens would be a $hitload in a low passing volume Jeff Fisher offense and would certainly mean a terrible year. But for an offense that a guy like Brees runs in Nawlins that difference of 3 or 4 INTs can be so many things like just bad luck/tips/etc, and come in the face of a high amount of passes in the air along with a higher TD and yardage rate.

I'm sure if you looked at those Saints teams the defense had more to do with their playoff misses than anything else. But either way back to the Rams they weren't nearly potent enough passing the ball in terms of yardage, which matters when you look at those great offenses/QBs who you know can flip the score in 30 seconds if your defense lets up even a little bit. To my eye at least they weren't in that class, despite their league leading performance.

But they will be this year. I don't know how often they'll find themselves down on the scoreboard late in games (probably not often) but if they do I think they will be far more potent in their ability to quickly rectify it, due to that passing game improvement.

Ram65

Legend
this 100%. last season when goff got flushed out of the pocket he was always looking downfield for someone to throw it to but most times he had to just throw it over the sideline. the receivers have to try and get open. every time they showed a replay of those plays the receivers were just moving sideways the same speed as jared. they should study what the seagulls receivers do when wilson has to run around back there. they always work hard to get open for him. that's why he can always complete those passes.

Amen Brother!

McVay should have them doing more scramble drills as Goff can get outside the pocket. Thinking Cooks will get open when Goff scrambles.. Defenses blink and he will be deep. He can get to openings in split second too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
"But is he REALLY shredding it or is it just Sean McVay?"

Kay-Adams-775x465.png

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

ausmurp

Starter
guy threading needle and calling own plays and hooking up all over the place with different receivers.

So yeah. The critical people can calm down. Second year in system. Second year with receivers. Age 23. Facing an elite defense in practice.

All you Derek carr nut huggers can calm down. Goff will smoke this guy. May throw 40 TDs.

Why is he talking like we aren't also Rams fans?